Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I paid for the rise of the republic dlc a couple days ago for rome 2 total war. Lol its better than the base game but the ai is pretty brutal.

Everyone hates rome 2 and yeah its not as good as the first but unpopuparly i quite like it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Shibawanko posted:

Monopoly is great and a lot of fun. That's my unpopular board game opinion.

The "neverending" x "friendship-ending" quadrant (plus The Resistance/Coup) is basically the only board games I will play. My brothers and I once had a game of Risk that went on like six hours and we didn't speak to each other for days after, until we wanted to play Risk again.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My ex was losing at ticket to ride so she "jokingly" smashed the entire game off the table, spilling a drink onto everything in the process.

Someone else's house and game

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

My ex was losing at ticket to ride so she "jokingly" smashed the entire game off the table, spilling a drink onto everything in the process.

Someone else's house and game

We got Risk for PS2 (3? I can't remember) at one point and every single game someone would make a move for the power cord and would have to be beaten into submission.

Sibling rivalry owns but your ex had the maturity of 3 shithead teenagers.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My buddy and I play a lot of 1v1 strategy games. We take loses gracefully, compliment each other's play, and will earnestly and dispassionately analyze a match we just played to figure out together what strategies work in what circumstance.

Sorry for ya'll stuck with Rage Gamers.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

My buddy and I play a lot of 1v1 strategy games. We take loses gracefully, compliment each other's play, and will earnestly and dispassionately analyze a match we just played to figure out together what strategies work in what circumstance.

Sorry for ya'll stuck with Rage Gamers.

I used to be one, it really is hosed when you take a short moment to realize what a massive tool you're being over entertainment.

Ofc I'll still send a bunch of racist hate speech if they throw too many curveballs, but that's fair.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I used to play with angry gamers and i was one myself. We let our mouths be our outlet for frustration and not table flipping or whatever

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That is to say when we got upset we would blow whoever we were mad at

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

13Pandora13 posted:

The "neverending" x "friendship-ending" quadrant (plus The Resistance/Coup) is basically the only board games I will play. My brothers and I once had a game of Risk that went on like six hours and we didn't speak to each other for days after, until we wanted to play Risk again.

Yea I was lookin at the image wondering why risk wasn't on it and then I saw it and nodded in agreement

gently caress that game

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I was really good at the Resistance and fooled my friends in a few consecutive games, they seemed sort of seriously put off by how easily I lied to them but it's just a goddamned game so I'll lie to you as hard as I want! Lying as hard as you can is what makes that game fun.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

just lol if you don't intentionally lose all social deduction games just so your friends think you're incapable of lying to them effectively

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I do the reverse poker face - just grin like a dummy no matter what your hand is. :420: helps

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

not if you play with the auction rules (and no loving money on free parking :argh:) yeah there are better games than monopoly, but you can get a monopoly set for like $1 and it's fun as hack to play if you follow the proper rules.

It's still a bad an unenjoyable game, unless you love counting money.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Rutibex posted:

not if you play with the auction rules (and no loving money on free parking :argh:) yeah there are better games than monopoly, but you can get a monopoly set for like $1 and it's fun as hack to play if you follow the proper rules.

I remember playing Monopoly with some friends in college and my roommate's girlfriend insisted we play with the money on Free Parking house rule. I objected, but she wanted to do it, so we played with it. Nobody landed on Free Parking for like the first 80% of the game, so there was a huge mountain of cash built up. Finally, I ended up being the first one to land on it and just steamrolled the other players almost immediately. I wasn't being a bad sport or anything like that, but the first thing out of my roommate's girlfriend's mouth?

"You only won because you landed on Free Parking."

I KNOW!!!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
People play Monopoly as adults because they remember it from their childhood. It should be eradicated.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Lambert posted:

People play Monopoly as adults because they remember it from their childhood. It should be eradicated.

While this is true, I have played Monopoly with a lot of different people and have never had a game stretch past two hours. Most games took under 90 minutes, and it makes me wonder what the hell I'm doing right or everyone else is doing wrong to make your games stretch on for hours and hours.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
90 minutes is still a ridiculous amount of time for such a basic board game. Please, buy something better and don't subject your friends to this trash.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Lambert posted:

90 minutes is still a ridiculous amount of time for such a basic board game. Please, buy something better and don't subject your friends to this trash.

Yeah, I haven't played in like 15 years. It a bad game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

How the hell are you guys finishing your games of monopoly? The game is so long and so shallow we always get bored and quit before getting near a conclusion.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

How the hell are you guys finishing your games of monopoly? The game is so long and so shallow we always get bored and quit before getting near a conclusion.

I think it helped that we were always trying to win rather than not lose.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I used to have fun being a crooked banker, but it's not the entertainment dark ages anymore so who still plays Monopoly?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

man there are so many other better games than monopoly but it persists because boomers loving loved that poo poo and bought every stupid iteration (oh gee it's monopoly but WITH THE SIMPSONS can you believe it, wife?) so everyone is already familiar with it after having grown up with it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Time_pants posted:

While this is true, I have played Monopoly with a lot of different people and have never had a game stretch past two hours. Most games took under 90 minutes, and it makes me wonder what the hell I'm doing right or everyone else is doing wrong to make your games stretch on for hours and hours.

Lambert is a goon so he spends hours every game bickering about poo poo that doesn't matter.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Throw monopoly out of the window and play robert rally.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
throw monopoly out of the window and start killing the rich

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I used to be one, it really is hosed when you take a short moment to realize what a massive tool you're being over entertainment.

Ofc I'll still send a bunch of racist hate speech if they throw too many curveballs, but that's fair.

All I know is that sometimes the socially competitive nature of boardgames between friends brings to light existing unspoken tensions between them, but there are also people that like to exploit and amplify these tensions for their own amusement. Said trolls are human cancer.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You need to play board games drunk so the losers have plausible deniability and get to leave with their dignity untouched, blaming their loss on the booze.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

You need to play board games drunk so the losers have plausible deniability and get to leave with their dignity untouched, blaming their loss on the booze.

this is also how i deal with online conversations

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

throw monopoly out of the window and start killing the rich

This is actually more or less what the creator of the game intended you feel once you'd finished playing.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

christmas boots posted:

This is actually more or less what the creator of the game intended you feel once you'd finished playing.

:wink:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Carcassonne takes 45 minutes. What the gently caress does this person think "neverending" means?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Patrick Spens posted:

Carcassonne takes 45 minutes. What the gently caress does this person think "neverending" means?

also life has an end. Its when you retire

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

christmas boots posted:

:thejoke:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

I mean, most of the "short n' sweet" side is 10 minutes or less per game.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Twilight Imperium and Axis and Allies Global are the only games a grown man should play.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

christmas boots posted:

The creator, who you can hear spinning in their grave as you play your copy of Star Wars Monopoly 20th Anniversary Edition

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

It's also simply more fun that way

When I was working at CERN I learned that there was a board game group that would meet up in the cafeteria to play, drinking discounted pints of beer the entire time

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Twilight Imperium and Axis and Allies Global are the only games a grown man should play.

I had a roommate get really big into twilight imperium in college and he was continually baffled that the guy who had to be on campus by 7am didn't want to start a 12 hour board game at 3pm.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Nah Twilight Struggle is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I never joke in this thread, of all places.

QuarkJets posted:

The creator, who you can hear spinning in their grave as you play your copy of Star Wars Monopoly 20th Anniversary Edition

This is the true punchline to the whole thing though