Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Phanatic posted:

It sure can be, though. Tire debris flying up into the wing and rupturing the fuel tank is what killed the Concorde. And here's a rejected takeoff test of an A340 featuring some spectacularly poor communications between the test director, the aircrew, and the fire crew, in which they're lucky nobody got killed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMuOyMTQ8Y

:stare:

The balls on that firefighter must be titanically big. God loving drat, three explosions and he still went back in?

Whoever was meant to be his liaison should be loving shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

QuarkMartial posted:

You never know who is lurking, bored, and wanting some "lulz". You really can't be too cautious.

Sorry to bring up this derail again but at the same time, I post my project threads on multiple forums. A forum moderator who I don't always see eye to eye with from one of the Volvo forums basically googled the URL of my pictures and found my posts here in AI. He linked my own threads to me in a private message with no explanation - but either he thought I was pirating someone else's work or he just wanted me to know that he's following me around the internet.

Dude's not even a goon and he took the time to find out more things about me, and I try to be fairly anonymous on the web. And he's read AI enough to think it was worth telling me he's read it. He could be reading this post right now. Good thing he never bans anyone no matter how big an rear end in a top hat they are (one of the things we don't see eye to eye about).

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Phanatic posted:

It sure can be, though. Tire debris flying up into the wing and rupturing the fuel tank is what killed the Concorde. And here's a rejected takeoff test of an A340 featuring some spectacularly poor communications between the test director, the aircrew, and the fire crew, in which they're lucky nobody got killed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMuOyMTQ8Y

The test director in this is a loving primadonna rear end in a top hat. And the fire crew was cowboy as gently caress, but probably saved some lives.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

cyberbug posted:

But why were they doing something similar on a real aircraft in the A340 test? Were they accidentally going faster than planned before braking or was their idea really to set the brakes on fire and blow the tires?

If I recall correctly there are fuses in the tires that should have melted and gracefully dumped the air out of them. But yeah, the fire is normal, tire explosions were not.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

FatCow posted:

If I recall correctly there are fuses in the tires that should have melted and gracefully dumped the air out of them. But yeah, the fire is normal, tire explosions were not.

I think those are the big puffs of black on the 777 test- relief valve blows and that is dust from the brakes.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

Sorry to bring up this derail again but at the same time, I post my project threads on multiple forums. A forum moderator who I don't always see eye to eye with from one of the Volvo forums basically googled the URL of my pictures and found my posts here in AI. He linked my own threads to me in a private message with no explanation - but either he thought I was pirating someone else's work or he just wanted me to know that he's following me around the internet.

Dude's not even a goon and he took the time to find out more things about me, and I try to be fairly anonymous on the web. And he's read AI enough to think it was worth telling me he's read it. He could be reading this post right now. Good thing he never bans anyone no matter how big an rear end in a top hat they are (one of the things we don't see eye to eye about).

omg who is it

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Warped brake rotor. :yayclod:

http://youtu.be/0KaGIV9gN-E

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dannywilson posted:

The test director in this is a loving primadonna rear end in a top hat. And the fire crew was cowboy as gently caress, but probably saved some lives.

I kept waiting for the pilot to say 'Fcuk this. We're out of here. Deploy the inflatable slide and Mr Director, I'm gonna punch you in the face when I see you'

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I think part of the certification test is the aircraft must be able to stand for 5(?!) minutes after an MTOW RTO without firefighter assistance. Presumably the guys with the stairs were reluctant to bring them with the brakes on fire, and the fire crew were reluctant to compromise the test until they believed the airframe to be in jeopardy.

Or it could just be a massive communication fuckup, certainly either way the guys riding the plane haven't a clue what's happening.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FatCow posted:

This makes sense, most compressed air reservoirs will have a fusible plug of some description.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
In the case of that aircraft the tires actually held up... it was the rims that catastrophically failed if I've been reading correctly

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

In the case of that aircraft the tires actually held up... it was the rims that catastrophically failed if I've been reading correctly

Yes, that's correct. And also, yes, the reason the fire crews didn't move in immediately is because the test requirement is that the aircraft has to sit there, after coming to a full stop, for five minutes before they can intervene. If it can't do that safely, it's a failed test.

The fuse plugs didn't fail, either. The Goodrich wheels failed before the fuse plugs in the Michelin tires were even supposed to activate. The tires performed to spec, it's the wheels that didn't. Looked like this:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

IIRC that test, besides requiring the plane to sit x amount of minutes without intervention, also requires the brakes to be artificially made to be worn to the very minimum requirements where they would normally be replaced at. It's basically a test for the worst case scenario rejected takeoff.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Throw it on the lathe it will even out

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Interesting that thats a solid core disc.

Heres a paper about brake disc vibrations that confirms they definitely do warp and goes into a good amount of detail: http://www.fkm.utm.my/~arahim/jacobsson.pdf

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

CarForumPoster posted:

Interesting that thats a solid core disc.

Heres a paper about brake disc vibrations that confirms they definitely do warp and goes into a good amount of detail: http://www.fkm.utm.my/~arahim/jacobsson.pdf

Ive had brand new rotors and drums come in that I had to cut before putting on a customers vehicle. Gotta love budget parts.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Megasquirt tuning failure:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

More like Megasplash.

Or Gigasquirt?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Anything Metallica fits here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vitamin J posted:

Megasquirt tuning failure:

What the hell happened?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CommieGIR posted:

What the hell happened?

My best guess:

Turbo + high-RPM / high-load lean condition + preignition == thrown rod on the leanest cylinder, acting as a flail on the inside of the block.

How'd I do?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

sofullofhate posted:

My best guess:

Turbo + high-RPM / high-load lean condition + preignition == thrown rod on the leanest cylinder, acting as a flail on the inside of the block.

How'd I do?
A+. Was increasing the timing for the winter temps but went a bit too far.

Luckily it just took out the block so I can reuse my nice ported and polished head and none of the oversize valves were smashed up.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

the poi posted:

omg who is it

It's Volvo Chad. Never piss off Volvo Chad.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 221 days!)

atomicthumbs posted:

It's Volvo Chad. Never piss off Volvo Chad.

What is it about Swedish cars that attract wierdos? :fishmech:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Viggen posted:

What is it about Swedish cars that attract wierdos? :fishmech:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vitamin J posted:

A+. Was increasing the timing for the winter temps but went a bit too far.

Luckily it just took out the block so I can reuse my nice ported and polished head and none of the oversize valves were smashed up.

I find it interesting that the rod just neatly sheared in half instead of doing the usual thing of turning into a pretzel then eventually tearing apart.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
My dads snowblower stopped working so he dimantled the housing that spins the augers on the front, he found this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

:stare:

What the gently caress.

:catstare:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is that the flywheel side facing out of the car? How does it drive the transmission like that?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The OG900 (Saab old-gen 900) was like that. Clutch and poo poo at the FRONT, in a longitudinal engine, front wheel drive vehicle. Like a backwards Toronado setup.

I don't even know what the gently caress but it looked like it would make clutch jobs easy and fast I guess, and I can't argue with the crankshaft pointing the right direction.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Bit of a bitch for belts, I'd imagine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For extra :science:, it was based on a modified version of the not-very-good triumph I4 which in turn was based on the pretty-lovely triumph v8 cut in half.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

The OG900 (Saab old-gen 900) was like that. Clutch and poo poo at the FRONT, in a longitudinal engine, front wheel drive vehicle. Like a backwards Toronado setup.

I don't even know what the gently caress but it looked like it would make clutch jobs easy and fast I guess, and I can't argue with the crankshaft pointing the right direction.

In all saabness the pressure plate and chain assembly have to installed wiht the fingers depressed.

Yes. thats right. depressed.
The two units also shared common fluid. and alternators were a multi-swearhour job.

Slavvy posted:

For extra :science:, it was based on a modified version of the not-very-good triumph I4 which in turn was based on the pretty-lovely triumph v8 cut in half.

hahahahahaha holy poo poo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Why do I suddenly want one?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Bit of a bitch for belts, I'd imagine.

And you have to remove the whole shebang to replace the transmission.

Guess what the most delicate component of any particular Saab's powertrain is?

Cakefool posted:

Why do I suddenly want one?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah the Saab I had was like that. Belts did suck, against the firewall. The tranny was also longitudinal with a differential in it, and the halfshafts came out the sides. The top of the trans case was the oil pan, bolted to the bottom of the motor. It didn't share fluid though.

Because of this configuration the assembly was incredibly tall, even with the engine tilted over at a 45° angle. Of course they didn't raise the hood, they just hung the drat tranny down inches off the ground. Once I lowered it I realized how bad it was. It fortunately had a skid plate which I did smack on the ground numerous times without even trying.

Looking back I really enjoyed that car though. It was my first foray back into automotive insanity after my marriage-induced car hiatus. If I knew then what I know now I would have made a monster out of it. It was in really great condition.

Edit: Have a partial cutaway of this mechanical failure:

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 5, 2014

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kastein posted:

I had it explained to me as follows: "Some bloke from Sweden had front-wheel-drive explained to them by a very inebriated Japanese engineer, while he was also blotto, and neither of them spoke any of the other's language"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I often heard Saabs explained as being like what you would get if you described a car to a Martian over the phone; but I always thought that was just about the styling (and maybe ignition key placement). No idea it extended that far under the hood.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 5, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It seems like a pretty good idea, since it maximizes interior room. The transmission below the engine pushes the polar moment of inertia forward, which would make for predictable if sluggish handling, sort of like a 911 in reverse.

The rear suspension is pretty unique.

Why did they retain the dead axle? With that setup it seems like it would easier to just get rid of it and make it fully independent, maybe add a lateral link to each side.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burns_2k
Oct 17, 2012
All that effort to remove fore-aft movement, then they stick a panhard rod on it.