Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If anyone has any FoW stuff they are thinking about trying to move send me a PM. Midwar/Latewar plastics in particular.

Also I'm really looking for 1 partrooper bazooka team. Like really really looking. Don't want to buy a whole box set for the one dang tube and loader.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have a bunch of mid-war metal Germans sitting around that a friend gave me a while back if that's of interest to you? I can do a list/photo when I get home.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

I have a bunch of mid-war metal Germans sitting around that a friend gave me a while back if that's of interest to you? I can do a list/photo when I get home.

Wouldn’t hurt if you got the time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'll dig them out so.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

lilljonas posted:

Ok since nobody posted today I'll doublepost. Drop what you're holding and get yourself ready for your new army:

Napoleonic.
Muthafuckin.
Poles.

Look at it.

It's not like the Poles forgot about it. The Polish national anthem was written during the Napoleonic wars, and has such lyrics as

quote:

March, march, D¹browski,
From Italy to Poland.
Under your command
We shall rejoin the nation.

and

quote:

We'll cross the Vistula, we'll cross the Warta,
We shall be Polish.
Bonaparte has given us the example
Of how we should prevail.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

golden bubble posted:

It's not like the Poles forgot about it. The Polish national anthem was written during the Napoleonic wars, and has such lyrics as

and

Let's just say I got a surprising amount of "likes" from men with Polish names on that article.

And an invitation to a group for the 1831 Polish uprising.

And I assume I'm on some kind of watch list by now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lilljonas posted:

And an invitation to a group for the 1831 Polish uprising.

A little late to the party for that one?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

A little late to the party for that one?

It's never too late to throw off the Prussian/Russian/Austrian/French/etc. yoke! :P

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My friends have decided to start collecting WWI for Blood and Valor this fall and I have selected the French. Does anyone know of any painting guides?

I picked up a VMC French Mirage Blue to represent a greyed-out Horizon Blue, but is there a better choice? I won't be going red trousers.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Beerdeer posted:

I won't be going red trousers.
Coward.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

You shall be court martialled for insufficient élan.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I forgot to take pictures until it was too dark... what I have is:

1 Box GrenadierKompanie (GBX06)
1 Box 10.5cm Artillery Battery (GBX07) minus the tractors.
1 Blister 7.5cm leIG18 gun (GE560)
1 Blister SPECIAL ITEMS (GEAB03) (Destroyed Marder III objective).

Everything apart from the battery with the missing tractors is sealed, shrinkwrap and all on the Grenadiers. The codes should let you google the items anyway.

Thinking about it, I have some of the PSC US Infantry Heavy Weapons around somewhere too, and for some reason they gave you like three times as many bazooka teams as you need there. Identical to the ones shown here if that's any good to you? Not the same uniform and all, but close-ish at 15mm.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Two more Austrians down:

They're mounted on old paint pots until some bases from Sarissa arrive. I decided to go for 50x40mm bases with 6 dudes each, to give them a little more space than 15mm per dude since they're in a firing rather than marching pose. Typically an Austrian line would be slightly staggered in combat to allow the men behind to aim past the men in front while the third rank that I won't be representing on my bases twiddled their thumbs and stepped in to replace casualties.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am honestly unable to get past the fact that you still have those old screwtop GW paint pots. Did you keep them just for mounting figures on to paint?

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I have a couple of those as well. They're pretty good for painting, and I still have some inks that are useable.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Worst. Pots. Ever.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I painted a burger king figure of Goku and a pack of still-on-sale zombies with those when I was 7. The paints were all hosed by when I was 10 and by then they had the flip-tops.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

I am honestly unable to get past the fact that you still have those old screwtop GW paint pots. Did you keep them just for mounting figures on to paint?

Yeah, the paints are long dry but they’re great little mounts. I didn’t keep them specifically for that reason, I mostly just forgot I had them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm sure if I went digging I could find where I have put aside a pot or two of that and forgotten about it, but they were such terrible pots. The prior fliptop pot that existed was way better, to the point where I am still using some of the less common colours a solid 20+ years on.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

If anyone has any FoW stuff they are thinking about trying to move send me a PM. Midwar/Latewar plastics in particular.

Also I'm really looking for 1 partrooper bazooka team. Like really really looking. Don't want to buy a whole box set for the one dang tube and loader.

I'm sure I could spare a bazooka guy and a loader, but I'm EU so shipping might not make it worth it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Black Seas Facebook page is full of "Not the proper green" posts about 1/700 ships, wow.

quote:

Just looking at the freebie frigate, how can the acetate ratlines fit correctly when the yards instead of being held against the masts are 'indented' into them?

And possibly the chains are set too far forward?

As yet I don't have any of the acetate ratlines to physically experiment with, but I would have thought that fitting the ratlines would have been easier and more prototypical if the yards had been supplied seperate from the masts?

Probably not explaining myself very well, but hopefully the 'scribble' accompanying this post might better clarify my confusion.

Thanks.

In response to their not being specific models for every USN ship, the idea being to use the generic frigate:

quote:

Just looking up some stats - Constellation was about 12 feet longer than a British 36, and only 5 feet longer than a French 40, so probably not that noticeable at this scale.

quote:

GUNS?
Just looking at an image of HMS Victory’s ship card each boardside consists of 4 heavy, 4 light and 3 carronades. Plus 2 heavy at the bow and 1 at the stern.
My question is why is the firepower so powerful at the bow don’t thinks it’s historically accurate.
If anyone has any thoughts on the gunnery system in the rules I’d be interested to hear more.

Victory boardside
15 32pdr
14 24pdr
15 12pdr
6 short 12pdr
1 68pdr carronade

Never change, hobby. Never change.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

The Black Seas Facebook page is full of "Not the proper green" posts about 1/700 ships, wow.

In response to their not being specific models for every USN ship, the idea being to use the generic frigate:

Then stay away from TMP where people were having breakdowns over how unrealistic the rules were, before the rules even were out.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's a little of that, but since it's mostly people who preordered, not much.

The rules seem pretty decent to be for what the game is supposed to be. If I wanted crazy minutiae, I'd play Trafalgar or Ships of Glory with all the optional rules (and I will continue doing both of those, too).

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I too had a bunch of those old screw-top paint pots. I use their caps for mixing paints now.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

lilljonas posted:

Then stay away from TMP

:hmmyes:

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

:love:

You've got sails of glory anchorage for this stuff too. It's like a warm fire on a cold day, except the fire is made of plastic models and the room is slowly filling with noxious fumes

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There are currently 119 threads by Tango01 on the default front page of The Miniatures Page.

Glad you like it boys!

Amicalement
Armand

Endman
May 18, 2010

TMP is a horrible place worthy of only derision and scorn.

Fun boat game looks fun.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Endman posted:

TMP is a horrible place worthy of only derision and scorn.

I've found them an occasionally decent resource of TO&Es.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Just lol if you don't use a Yahoo group to post your game stuff. Too bad the minis aren't in the same scale as Sog. Maybe I can make a wreck marker or two out of the sprue I got

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
whenever I try and go on TMP, its down for maintance, which means its 90's design is still there.

as for Black Seas, everything I've seen seems to back up its a light warship game with nice models, which is what I and a lot of people want.

All wargames are abstractions, and I constant wonder at people who don't get that sometimes you don't need a a4 sheet for each ship in existence.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Painted someone to yell at my Austrians when they don't have their boots done up properly:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Grey Hunter posted:

whenever I try and go on TMP, its down for maintance, which means its 90's design is still there.

as for Black Seas, everything I've seen seems to back up its a light warship game with nice models, which is what I and a lot of people want.

All wargames are abstractions, and I constant wonder at people who don't get that sometimes you don't need a a4 sheet for each ship in existence.

That's exactly what Black Seas is, and it fills that niche greatly. And it's still more detailed than just rolling dice, it has a lot of nice age of sail features.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

Painted someone to yell at my Austrians when they don't have their boots done up properly:

Top hat Austrians. :3:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just put together a box of plastic toy soldier panzer3 and drat these things are great and affordable

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Those Austrians look very pretty!

I painted up four Belgians for our Waterloo scenario. I'm testing out different blue Contrast paints to get some variety. I also tried to do some cow fur patterns on their packs.

My Black Seas starter set also shipped today! I'm so excited!

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Some dapper moustaches there

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Did anyone say dapper moustaches?

Continuing the Nappy streak in thread. ;)

Working on a batch of 30 warlord frenchies. After these I'm moving on to command bases for the six or so battalions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What's the deal with the french wearing greatcoats in summer and not collapsing of heat stroke?