Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Holy moly! I just bought a kilo of ginger. (It was on sale for 1$ and I could not resist.)

What do I do with all that stuff?

What are some good recipes that take a lot of ginger? {I'm vegetarian.}

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Guacamayo posted:

Anybody here have recipe for the sauce for Ceasar salad?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xia9i3_julia-jacques-cooking-at-home-salads_lifestyle
The Caesar salad starts after the first commercial break but you should watch the whole thing. All the salads they make in it are pretty great.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

No Gravitas posted:

Holy moly! I just bought a kilo of ginger. (It was on sale for 1$ and I could not resist.)

Thanks!

Make ginger syrup

and use it to make refreshing drinks and cocktails and all.

(and use it in everything you cook, because ginger rules)

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

No Gravitas posted:

Thanks!

Candy like half of it and then give it to me for Christmas.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Make some ginger beer or ginger ale.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

paraquat posted:

Make ginger syrup

and use it to make refreshing drinks and cocktails and all.

(and use it in everything you cook, because ginger rules)

I made about 1 liter of Ginger syrup for my last Christmas party. 50+ drinks later and that stuff is still in my fridge.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ayem posted:

Stupid question: Oxtail has a season?

Thirded. Only thing I can figure is it's winter where this person lives and they are saying it's cold enough to make soup/stews?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Does anyone have the perfect application of Humboldt Fog cheese? I lucked into some 50% off, and haven't broken into it yet. I'm planning on eating some of it with bread or crackers, but I've seen posters raving about it in this forum,and I figure one of you has a favorite recipe for it. Put it on a burger? Make a cheese tart?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

No Gravitas posted:

Thanks!

pickle it a few different ways. beni shoga, gari, mandoline it and pickle it bread and butter style and serve on pork belly sandwiches.

dry some of it for baking.

make some ginger tea, or syrup for things

or just cook with it. Stuff lasts forever, keep it in the fridge. idk, I buy kilos of ginger all the time from asian markets and I always use it up before it goes bad.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Schmeichy posted:

Does anyone have the perfect application of Humboldt Fog cheese? I lucked into some 50% off, and haven't broken into it yet. I'm planning on eating some of it with bread or crackers, but I've seen posters raving about it in this forum,and I figure one of you has a favorite recipe for it. Put it on a burger? Make a cheese tart?

burger. humboldt fog owns so hard on a burger.

Smash burger by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

GrAviTy84 posted:

burger. humboldt fog owns so hard on a burger.

Smash burger by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Well, that picture seals the deal. At least one burger will be made.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Schmeichy posted:

By itself, underneath a drizzle of honey.

Oh man I could kill some Humboldt Fog right now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Schmeichy posted:

Well, that picture seals the deal. At least one burger will be made.

Make sure you set the contrast, sharpness, and hdr sliders on your burger to 11.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

No Gravitas posted:

Thanks!

Make candied ginger and ginger syrup at the same time. Also freeze some of it, it's not exactly the same but you can slice/shave ginger off a frozen root to put in things fairly easily. Curries and stir fries take well to ginger I've found.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
What's a good price for lobster per pound? I want to get a couple but no clue which grocery store will have the best price, nor what I should expect to pay. I live in Los Angeles, for reference.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

The Midniter posted:

By itself, underneath a drizzle of honey.

Oh man I could kill some Humboldt Fog right now.

Yum. I will do that too. I did pick up some fancy honey with the cheese. Neighborhood grocery store is closing, and I splurged on a ton of wine and cheese. Couldn't justify the $30 wedge of extra aged cheddar (originally $60), but I picked up two packages of Humboldt, some cheese with tea in it, a wedge that was rolled in rosemary, and some more interesting looking cheeses. I want to go again today to see if they marked down the $50 bulk bag of imported olives. (Yes, I did mostly type this to brag).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

rkl posted:

Don't take the skin off. Apply rub liberally, you want that fat to crisp up in the pan when youre searing it, it locks in juices. Sear on all sides, then throw into oven immediately.

Locking in the juices isn't true and never has been. You probably won't notice a difference in where the rub is applied though and the skin is a lot easier to remove after cooking

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Yeah I'll just cut in some lard instead of suet. So For that I can skip boiling the water step of this right?

Not really. You're now making a traditional hot water pastry that hugs deliciously around a pork pie, so you still need to use hot water. My standard go to is:

250g Plain Flour (All Purpose if American)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt.
1 Large Egg
50g Unsalted Butter
50g Lard
85ml Water
(If making Pork Pies I sometimes add a couple of teaspoons of English Mustard Powder)

Sift flour and salt into large bowl and make a well. Crack egg into well and sprinkle over a little flour.

Gently heat the Water, Butter and Lard in a pan until melted and then bring it to a boil. As soon as it's boiling, pour around the outside edge of the flour and use a blunt flat bladed knife to combine it. Gently knead it until it's smooth and still quite soft. Wrap in cling film and fridge for at least an hour.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

sublyme posted:

What's a good price for lobster per pound? I want to get a couple but no clue which grocery store will have the best price, nor what I should expect to pay. I live in Los Angeles, for reference.

You want a store that sells a lot of lobster- they lose flavor in the tanks. This is off-season for lobster, so they will be expensive, especially on the west coast. I can't give you a number since I'm on the other side of the country, but the prices shouldn't be too vastly different between stores. This time of year everything is going to be pretty much the same, quality-wise so as long as the store does reasonable volume, it's safe to go with the lowest price.

God damnit. Now I want lobster.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pulled smoked pork + Kim chi + tortilla + ?? = delicious wrap

Trying to think of other poo poo I could put in there

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Pulled smoked pork + Kim chi + tortilla + ?? = delicious wrap

Trying to think of other poo poo I could put in there

gochujang/ssamjang. Sesame napa slaw. sookju namul. cucumber. shiso leaf.

see also: Kogi tacos, korean bbq tacos.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

No Gravitas posted:

Thanks!

Ginger beer!!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

No Gravitas posted:

Thanks!

Indian food takes really well to ginger in general, especially South Indian.

Candy it.

Powder it.

Make ginger liqueur.

Ginger lemonade!

Ginger mint tea.

Ice cream or gelato or, my favorite, kulfi are fabulous with ginger.

Make ginger beer from a 'bug', using wild fermentation. You'll want some sugar and grated ginger in a dish of water, which you should add some ginger and sugar to every day for a week. It should start bubbling gently and it'll smell yeasty, at which point you know it's ready to brew with. Ideally you should use jaggery or unrefined sugar, but I've done it with white granulated plenty of times. If you don't have a ton of wild yeast where you are or if you are concerned about getting it right the first time, use some wild berries or fruit skin - berries in particular are just covered with yeast, and fruit usually has a fair amount on its skin, especially fuzzy fruits like peaches.

If you're into fermented things, look into water kefir. It's a great way to make tons of different homemade sodas (between slightly and very alcoholic, mind - apparently if you use water kefir and yeast you can get some incredible ABV into a sweet, non-alcoholic tasting "soda") including the best ginger beer on earth.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

No Gravitas posted:

Thanks!

Make अदरक का अचार (Ginger Pickle, Indian style)

Equal weight lemons and ginger (about 250 grams should be plenty).

Juice the lemons. Sliver the ginger into fine pieces. Dump the lemon onto the ginger. Add a generous sprinkle of salt.

In a small pot, heat 1/4 cup of oil. Add 2 TB mustard seeds, and slam on the lid. Lift the pot off the heat, and swirl around. When the popping subsides, add about 1/2 tsp of fenugreek seeds, 1 tsp of turmeric, and turn off the heat. Let the oil stop hissing completely. Add lots of ground red pepper to the ginger. Take the oil and spices, and grind it in a blender until smooth (OPTIONAL. You can leave the spices whole, but grinding them gives a really nice flavour.) Dump over the ginger and lemon juice. Add more salt. Toss to combine.

Let it set in the fridge overnight. Eat with any kind of food the next day.

You can make an oil free version like she does if you prefer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdLd2LpjzdA

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
First I'll say I'm not a chef/cook at all so my apologies if my terminology isn't correct. My best friend is a cooking/technology nut and I need a gift for him for christmas. He's got just about everything he needs except for a large stockpot for bulk soups & chills & such. He has an electric range. I don't think he has a crock pot either, and he'd never accept anything I'd give him tech wise. So, I'm looking for a good stockpot, max price of $70, that he can use to make stews, chills, soups...basically anything that a good stockpot would provide. He's currently single, and I don't see him having a family any time soon. Would something like this be a good gift?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030T1KR0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

GobiasIndustries posted:

First I'll say I'm not a chef/cook at all so my apologies if my terminology isn't correct. My best friend is a cooking/technology nut and I need a gift for him for christmas. He's got just about everything he needs except for a large stockpot for bulk soups & chills & such. He has an electric range. I don't think he has a crock pot either, and he'd never accept anything I'd give him tech wise. So, I'm looking for a good stockpot, max price of $70, that he can use to make stews, chills, soups...basically anything that a good stockpot would provide. He's currently single, and I don't see him having a family any time soon. Would something like this be a good gift?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030T1KR0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'd honestly say a pressure cooker is more use than a stock pot. It's essentially a fast slow cooker, and can do really interesting things like pressure caramelization. For the <$70 range you want the Presto 8qt Aluminum (or Stainless, which is a better material but Dino says the stainless ones break faster).

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wow. Thanks for all the suggestions. That was extremely helpful.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Also ginger chicken. That uses about a cup of sliced ginger. It's awesome, like pickle and curry in one.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Can a slow cooker or regular pot(or a combo of the two) be used as a replacement for a dutch oven? A lot of the soup recipes I've been reading call for it, but I'd really rather not spend the money on something I wont use much.

Pardon my lack of kitchen knowledge :shobon:

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I stupidly followed a recipe which called for adding cherry juice to melted chocolate to "thin it" to a better consistency for dipping (even though I've dipped chocolate loads of times successfully) and instead to my horror it's turned into more of a fudge-like consistency. I have a pretty sizeable amount of it, enough that I don't want to just throw it out since it still tastes good, is there anything I can still add to it to make it a salvageable little dessert/snack that I can include in gift baskets of baked goods? Otherwise I'm considering just rolling it as-is into little balls and rolling them into sprinkles or something.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Psychobabble! posted:

Can a slow cooker or regular pot(or a combo of the two) be used as a replacement for a dutch oven? A lot of the soup recipes I've been reading call for it, but I'd really rather not spend the money on something I wont use much.

Pardon my lack of kitchen knowledge :shobon:
Do the soup recipes tell you to put the dutch oven in the oven? If so, then the regular pot will work only if it's oven safe. If not, then you should be fine with a regular pot, although sometimes recipes call for dutch ovens because they have a wide bottom and let you brown all your stuff at once, which might be tough in a pot, so unless you have a huge pot you might need to make a smaller batch.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I stupidly followed a recipe which called for adding cherry juice to melted chocolate to "thin it" to a better consistency for dipping (even though I've dipped chocolate loads of times successfully) and instead to my horror it's turned into more of a fudge-like consistency. I have a pretty sizeable amount of it, enough that I don't want to just throw it out since it still tastes good, is there anything I can still add to it to make it a salvageable little dessert/snack that I can include in gift baskets of baked goods? Otherwise I'm considering just rolling it as-is into little balls and rolling them into sprinkles or something.

How much juice did you add? Chocolate doesn't like liquids unless it has enough to make a ganache. So maybe try adding a bit of cream to some of it and see if it gets to the proper smooth texture it should have? I'm not guaranteeing it will work though as I've never attempted to do something like that. Start small.

You could put the chocolate between 2 cookies for a filled type cookie. You could also eat it out of the bowl like a barbarian.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Is it grainy?

If so, you can emulsify it into a tiny amount of warm water, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g28-9NVUHj0

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Eeyo posted:

How much juice did you add? Chocolate doesn't like liquids unless it has enough to make a ganache. So maybe try adding a bit of cream to some of it and see if it gets to the proper smooth texture it should have? I'm not guaranteeing it will work though as I've never attempted to do something like that. Start small.

You could put the chocolate between 2 cookies for a filled type cookie. You could also eat it out of the bowl like a barbarian.

This isn't really true, you just need to romance the water-based component so that it doesn't screw it up.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I don't actually know how much juice it was because it didn't specify, but I would guess a couple tablespoons maybe?

It's not grainy, it looks like this:

This actually happened pretty late last night and I didn't want to deal with it so I threw it in the fridge and now it's pretty hard, so I don't know if it's even good for anything anymore.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I have an wooden end grain cutting board that, admittedly, I haven't taken great care of. Most of the time I'll wipe it down with a wet rag and dry it off with a paper towel. Every now and then, I'll soap it down and clean it that way. It's probably been 6 months since I last oiled it with mineral oil.

Cutting some fruit today, the fruit tasted like onions. I smelled the cutting board and it smelled like onions. I washed and scrubbed it with soap, but the smell still remains. Do I need to sand this thing down or is it a done deal now? It's about 2.5" thick.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'd honestly say a pressure cooker is more use than a stock pot. It's essentially a fast slow cooker, and can do really interesting things like pressure caramelization. For the <$70 range you want the Presto 8qt Aluminum (or Stainless, which is a better material but Dino says the stainless ones break faster).

Pressure cookers are cool, but I wouldn't say they are more useful than a stock pot. I have this one and its worked great for me. The one linked looks good too. I usually use it to boil water for pasta and to make stew/soup. Another good suggestion would be to buy him a dutch oven, although these are a little pricier. This looks nice, or if you want to spoil him, Le Creuset.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Question for you pressure cooking friends: Just got a Fagor pressure cooker (Duo). Should the lid be able to jiggle when locked? I can move the lid about a centimeter towards unlocking, and the lid can wiggle back and forth when it's supposed to be locked. Is this normal? The box it came in was beat to hell so I'm dubious of this thing/seller now.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Someone tell me about making macarons at home. I need another baking challenge now that I got croissants down pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Macarons are very sensitive to a lot of variables, temp, time, even the humidity in the air, so besides setting aside several hours to make them, be prepared to go through several batches first before you figure out how to adjust your baking and make a batch that rises up perfectly.

(I was baking on a rainy day so it took like 4 or 5 batches before we got ones that didn't crack or rise lop-sided)