Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's more than just the biggest cities, though they do draw considerable water, naturally.

A lot of the “tax payer funded lobbyists” are coming from GOP municipalities with Republican electeds, so the usual tactic of “oh they’re big city liberals” doesn’t work. Here's a somewhat similar example: for years the GOP has been trying to pass a law to make it illegal to automatically deduct union dues from members' paychecks. This is because, it's believed at least, that there are a significant number of union members who would just let their dues lapse out of apathy or lack of understanding of the benefits labor unions provide (helped along by an extensive information campaign from the CoC and other business interests). They've never been able to get it done because of cop and firefighters unions, the good unions as they it, and they’re worried about cop unions running ads against them or endorsing another guy because their base loves cops.

They got it this past session though, by exempting PD and FD unions. No supporter was able to give an honest reason why, of course, they'd just mumble something about first responders being special and move on. So, lobbyists representing Republican interests and voters are effective at influencing legislation.

Now, the Gov., Lt. Gov, Speaker and various anti-tax hardliners have been trying to cut/slow the growth of local property taxes, and they’re having the same problem. These Republican mayors and county commissioners and council members show up at hearings and offices, on the muni's dime, and lobby against these measures that absolutely gut city and county budgets, and since they’re influential Republicans representing constituencies state reps actually give a poo poo about, they've been successful in blocking it for many sessions. This time state lawmakers rammed it through somehow, still not sure what happened, but the next time they want to gently caress with cities (2021) they don't want to face friendly fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sab0921 posted:

Zoux can expound more on this - but:

Republicans hate cities

zoux posted:

It's more than just the biggest cities, though they do draw considerable water, naturally.

These Republican mayors and county commissioners and council members show up at hearings and offices, on the muni's dime, and lobby against these measures that absolutely gut city and county budgets, and since they’re influential Republicans representing constituencies state reps actually give a poo poo about, they've been successful in blocking it for many sessions. This time state lawmakers rammed it through somehow, still not sure what happened, but the next time they want to gently caress with cities (2021) they don't want to face friendly fire.

Thank you both for the detailed answers.

That’s incredibly lovely.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well that’s just my perspective as an interested observer who watched a couple of hearings and floor debates, so there may be more behind the scenes machinations I’m not aware of. But I did see Dennis Bonnen yell at a whole lot of GOP local electeds when he was chair of W&M in 17.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In even less ideological terms, it seems like they'd prefer to keep power consolidated under centralized authoritarian rule rather than risk being swayed by local interests.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1227338366473134080

Briscoe Cain has a lot of kids for being 21 years old

Uh yeah that's what straight guys do, have lots of kids with their female wives!!!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I forgot about briscoe till I saw a giant Briscoe sign up in deer park

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
muthafuckas forgot about Cain

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He doesn't even have the decency to be a laughable buffoon like Sticky, he's just the small, condensed Id of every 15 year old high school republican

He's the Rees-Mogg to Sticklands Bojo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1227637187098877956

Ok so these valley Dinos who are conservatives in every respect except on immigration, they're not being replaced by younger versions of themselves right? Younger Valley Latinos are growing up progressive right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

He's the Rees-Mogg to Sticklands Bojo

This is good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1227660042364760065

Mind you this is an attack ad from a Democrat

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ayyy Texas Trib with a decent set of questions to the frontrunners for opposing Cornyn

https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/us-senate-primary-voter-guide/

e: also Royce West is apparently Extremely Online

Royce West posted:

I support a ban on assault rifles but not mandatory buybacks. I support a voluntary buyback, with an agriculture exemption for feral hogs.

He later went on to say, "sometimes you have 30-50 of them running through your yard"

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1227637187098877956

Ok so these valley Dinos who are conservatives in every respect except on immigration, they're not being replaced by younger versions of themselves right? Younger Valley Latinos are growing up progressive right

Yes. Youth of basically every demographic are running way to the left of previous generations. Millennials, and to an even more massive degree Gen Z are turning out to be incredibly progressive.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

No Safe Word posted:

ayyy Texas Trib with a decent set of questions to the frontrunners for opposing Cornyn

https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/us-senate-primary-voter-guide/

e: also Royce West is apparently Extremely Online

He later went on to say, "sometimes you have 30-50 of them running through your yard"

What the gently caress is a "voluntary buyback except"? The government will buy your AR, unless you have an Ag/Timber number?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1227856843277586432?s=21

Smfh

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mayor identity politics

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Pete had that demo on lock.

ANyway it's especially disappointing given Bloombergs history of supporting redlining, a major historical and current issue in Houston, as well as stop and frisk. But Sly's never let strong principles get in the way of his ambition.

https://twitter.com/SylvesterTurner/status/1227940502470889473

That's just straight up not true

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
How far the anime mayor has fallen.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Goddamn is it dispiriting to see exactly how much headway you can make in an election purely by throwing hundreds of millions at it. Especially when those hundreds of millions are just a fraction of his wealth, and he could do this a hundred times over before running out of money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

Goddamn is it dispiriting to see exactly how much headway you can make in an election purely by throwing hundreds of millions at it. Especially when those hundreds of millions are just a fraction of his wealth, and he could do this a hundred times over before running out of money.

Well, I think that Bloomberg is just code for "undecided" right now, I *hope*, oh god how I do hope, that the fact that he is literally a Republican will be disqualifying. I mean the moderates have no idea what to do right now they're just voting for anyone who's in front of them at any given moment

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Pete was mayor of a lovely nowhere town, I am positive all the mayors endorsing Bloomberg think he’s an rear end in a top hat

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Yeah, Bloomberg runs some sort of mayor convention/training camp thing that he pumps millions of dollars into every year, so he got a bunch of mayors to endorse him. San Jose and San Francisco mayors also endorsed him.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

ANyway it's especially disappointing given Bloombergs history of supporting redlining, a major historical and current issue in Houston, as well as stop and frisk. But Sly's never let strong principles get in the way of his ambition.

https://twitter.com/SylvesterTurner/status/1227940502470889473

That's just straight up not true

I mean, from a certain point of view Bloomberg did embrace minorities. He would then rifle thru their pockets.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Pete was mayor of a lovely nowhere town, I am positive all the mayors endorsing Bloomberg think he’s an rear end in a top hat

For what it's worth, a Republican hasn't won the South Bend mayoral race since the '60s, so the real race is the Dem primary, which Pete first won in 2011 with... 7,663 votes. The most votes Pete has ever earned in an election that he actually won are the 10,991 votes in the 2011 general election for mayor.

Fun bonus facts: Pete's former chief of staff won the 2019 Dem mayor primary with a 37% vote share and won the general with a healthy (but considerably smaller than Pete's) margin, and the tone of the articles I've read about him and the race boil down to "well his platform is essentially just 'more Pete', and he's not exactly as polished as Pete, and he's not exactly a great public speaker, but we really think he will grow into the role", and I'm sure this is all a great idea and will go just swimmingly for South Bend now that the well-oiled Pete political machine has moved on to bigger and better things.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Holding out hope that every snake that is obviously being bought by Bloomberg gets seen for what they are. I can dream.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/alxthomp/status/1227987924593061889?s=21

Well I for one always vote the way the unreadable ad-laden entertainment alt rag tells me too

https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/1227988782525435904

Would someone please tell me why everyone is freaking out about this more than I've ever seen people freak out about a disease outbreak ever. Even the ebola scare wasn't this bad.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 13, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The fact that the chronicle endorsed her is making me reconsider my Warren support

Although she’ll probably have dropped out by the time I’m voting anyway

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I'd trust Bloomberg more than Pete because at least I know what he is, but they're a distant 5th and 6th (and only because I don't remember more people I could put between them and the ones I actually like) as centrists who are running because they want to avoid any real change or attempts to disrupt the current state of politics. And then all the way further down the line you have J'Biden literally endorsing republicans.

zoux posted:

Would someone please tell me why everyone is freaking out about this more than I've ever seen people freak out about a disease outbreak ever. Even the ebola scare wasn't this bad.

Potentially dangerous epidemics are scary even before they actually start really affecting your country. There were the scares for ebola, sars, chicken flu, swine flu, but what's spooky about coronavirus is that it had a steeper graph curve of infection cases.

There are also a lot of scary stories of things that the Chinese government is doing to fight it which may make it seem worse than it is, since they're trying to both suppress the fear of the disease as well as the disease.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/alxthomp/status/1227987924593061889?s=21

Well I for one always vote the way the unreadable ad-laden entertainment alt rag tells me too

https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/1227988782525435904

People freak out more about rare events. Also a touch of racism.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
christ look at this succ poo poo on their TX-21 endorsement:

quote:

This seat nearly flipped blue in 2018, and it seems likelier to do so in 2020. Jennie Lou Leeder is an honorable, qualified Dem candidate, but Davis' official experience and (frankly) star power should be devastating in a general campaign against Chip "Sourpuss" Roy. Vote for Wendy.

Yes, the star power of loving wendy davis.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

duz posted:

People freak out more about rare events. Also a touch of racism.

I remember when SARS turned America into 28 days later of course.

As a young Texan I was a lot more scared of the impending killer bee invasion than I should've been. Y'all remember the killer bee panic.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like I'd trust Bloomberg more than Pete
The (almost) lowest of bars. It's like saying "well, he's better than Tulsi".

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

I remember when SARS turned America into 28 days later of course.

As a young Texan I was a lot more scared of the impending killer bee invasion than I should've been. Y'all remember the killer bee panic.

THEY'RE AFRICANIZED

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

The (almost) lowest of bars. It's like saying "well, he's better than Tulsi".

Tulsi gabbard would be a better president than Bloomberg

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sardonik posted:

christ look at this succ poo poo on their TX-21 endorsement:

Yes, the star power of loving wendy davis.

we're doomed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey at least she isn't loving up some actually flippable district

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

zoux posted:

Hey at least she isn't loving up some actually flippable district

:colbert:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

i say swears online posted:

Tulsi gabbard would be a better president than Bloomberg

Not for Muslims!

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I know nothing about Jennie Lou Leeder, is she better than Wendy Davis? Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know who that is but almost assuredly

https://twitter.com/stjbs/status/1228012486286336000

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1228060293953212423
lol when did we move from all politics are local to all politics are national

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 13, 2020