Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Xae posted:

It can be hard to get citadels in the Molotov because the arcs are so flat you have to retrain where you aim vertically.

it can also get hard to get cits in the molotov because you've run out of people to shoot

or you run out of hp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Citadels, Molotov, hard

Which word does not fit into the above list ?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hammerstein posted:

Citadels, Molotov, hard

Which word does not fit into the above list ?

They all fit? You're hard because of the citadels your molotov gets?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

xthetenth posted:

They all fit? You're hard because of the citadels your molotov gets?

It's hard to shoot and specifically not citadel a molotov?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Xae posted:

It can be hard to get citadels in the Molotov because the arcs are so flat you have to retrain where you aim vertically.

What they all said. This is a really stupid statement.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

When you are the only Tier V BB in a game:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Hey fellas, so I've been playing solo with no guidance and being a stingy gently caress at low tiers (no equipment or ship mods, opting not to select skills except sixth sense since I'm not sure what works for each line, and I was wondering if I could get an invite into our clan. I tried once before a long time ago and had issues because I'm in PANSY on WoT and for some reason it acted like that prevented me from being in SEAMN. Anyone willing to lend a hand?

Edit: AbnormalReflex on NA server.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 22, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Burt posted:

What they all said. This is a really stupid statement.

Fair enough. Apparently everyone else is an elite MLG operator who automatically understood how to adjust their aim for the ship before they even fired their first shot.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Blindeye posted:

Hey fellas, so I've been playing solo with no guidance and being a stingy gently caress at low tiers (no equipment or ship mods, opting not to select skills except sixth sense since I'm not sure what works for each line, and I was wondering if I could get an invite into our clan. I tried once before a long time ago and had issues because I'm in PANSY on WoT and for some reason it acted like that prevented me from being in SEAMN. Anyone willing to lend a hand?

Edit: AbnormalReflex on NA server.

Unfortunately they haven't implemented clan anything yet. The SEAMN clan exists via wargaming site/WoT, but World of Warships has nothing yet... which kind of blows.

The best way to play with other goons and pick their brain on what is good to do, is get on Discord and shoot the poo poo and also shoot at boats, we're most active 7pm-12 EST I'd say.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Also - :ssj: :getin:

(until yourshepherd unseats me after 90 more games)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
What's really impressive is that you're doing better than the top Shchors players on average damage.

But not the top Myoko players. Also there's one guy that does more average damage with the Pensecola.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I'd be in like the Top 10 for the Yorck (1800 rating) but it looks like you need 100 games minimum, so im like 20 away. 2000+ is really impressive, I gotta stop solo-pubbing. I'm starting to think ill actually like the Shchors.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Man, I skipped the Yorck because people said it sucked. Is it actually decent? Also I need to play the Kuma more, I'm near the top but lack 100 battles...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Velius posted:

Man, I skipped the Yorck because people said it sucked. Is it actually decent? Also I need to play the Kuma more, I'm near the top but lack 100 battles...

At some point (after I paid to skip it) they fixed its major problem (sub-BB turret turning).

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Xae posted:

Fair enough. Apparently everyone else is an elite MLG operator who automatically understood how to adjust their aim for the ship before they even fired their first shot.

Flatter arcs just means you have to adjust your lead as the shells aren't hanging in mid air for so long, why you think you have to adjust your vertical aim point I have no idea. It's seriously not that hard, even I can do it.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Velius posted:

The only difference with the Yorck from the other German cruisers is that you need to use HE a lot more. Over 10km, use HE, under use AP. It has a fairly decent HE round [for a German ship anyway].

I really like both the USSR and German cruiser lines, they seem to be very similar, you just get better ships as you go up the line rather than having to relearn how to play every time you upgrade like the USA. The USSR has a bit of a dip at the Chappy, it's damage seems to be a bit low for it's tier, but other than that all are fun to play.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

German Cruisers seem more durable than the USSR ones, at least to me.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is this game still the HE FIRE APOCALYPSE?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Stanley Pain posted:

Is this game still the HE FIRE APOCALYPSE?

Not as much as it used to be. They shortened fire duration in the last major patch, and I'm pretty sure they dropped HE fire chance on some of the worst offenders a while back.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

Not as much as it used to be. They shortened fire duration in the last major patch, and I'm pretty sure they dropped HE fire chance on some of the worst offenders a while back.

Good to know. Dropped into a couple of games today and it did seem a LOT better than before.

I'm assuming Eye of Sauron and Lead Indicator mods are bannable right?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Good to know. Dropped into a couple of games today and it did seem a LOT better than before.

I'm assuming Eye of Sauron and Lead Indicator mods are bannable right?

They are a very bad thing to be caught using, that said the only way WG would catch you is if you uploaded video of yourself using them. Lead indicator is a terrible mod to rely on anyways, as it doesn't actually teach you how to calculate lead, nor does it actually get it right most times.
With the actual WG made scaling zoom crosshair and the OTM thing that shows when someone changes throttle input, I can easily calculate exactly where and when to shoot and when to hold my shots.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 23, 2016

MattLochNessMonster
Jul 1, 2009

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

They are a very bad thing to be caught using, that said the only way WG would catch you is if you uploaded video of yourself using them. Lead indicator is a terrible mod to rely on anyways, as it doesn't actually teach you how to calculate lead, nor does it actually get it right most times.
With the actual WG made scaling zoom crosshair and the OTM thing that shows when someone changes throttle input, I can easily calculate exactly where and when to shoot and when to hold my shots.

Are there tutorials on how to calculate lead? I just sort of got a feel for it and wing it with moderate success. Using torpedo targeting helps, but I almost never look at the numbers on the crosshair

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Check the Reddit and the forums.

They just started a crackdown on illegal mods (they haven't said which mods other than aim assist) today and they're figuring out who uses them, but obviously aren't stating exactly what system they're using to detected them. Maybe they're using us as a test bed for some sort of WoT mod policy change and purge.

Also on the Asia server they are changing people's names who use illegal mods brown, reflecting all their damage back to them, and in a few days give them a 7 day ban, which all seems hilarious. The rest of the servers can't get away with ridiculous public shaming however.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 23, 2016

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
What's the thread opinion on buying the signal flag bundles?

There's a couple specials on the premium shop right now, including one that gives sets of 100 signals each for +50% xp, +50% commander xp, +300% free xp, +20% credits, and -10% repair for 15 dollars. I feel like this would help my high tier ship grinding efforts, but I dunno if this is considered a smart investment or if the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I use those flags all the time but got a ton from events or ranked or achievements and still have over 100 of the +xp and +commander xp ones. They're good, but I'd put getting premium first, if only because you can do tanks too if that's your thing.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Okay, I'm a dumb player, what are these?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MattLochNessMonster posted:

Are there tutorials on how to calculate lead? I just sort of got a feel for it and wing it with moderate success. Using torpedo targeting helps, but I almost never look at the numbers on the crosshair

Turn on whatever it is that gives you the ToT of your shots, 1km/s rounds will land almost exactly on the spot that the number was hovering on when the shells arrive. Most US ships shells travel about 800m/s so you need to adjust your aim point for them, and the further away the target the more additional lead you need to add past the number of degrees.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
So what was the verdict on the Warspite? Is it any good?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Gorau posted:

So what was the verdict on the Warspite? Is it any good?

It's pretty good, but woe betide you if you get uptiered onto a big map.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Blindeye posted:

Okay, I'm a dumb player, what are these?

OTM has a little dot above a target ship, green means it's going forwards, yellow means stopped, red in reverse. Sometimes at long range, especially with no nearby islands to provide a reference, it can be hard to judge what direction a ship is going, and a lot of pubbies like to sit still or drive backwards like they're in a tank. the scalable crosshair is just some new settings on the crosshair page I haven't touched yet, more or less replaces the functionality of the custom ones.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Wow, good thing we're getting yet another nerf to IJN destroyers. Because apparently only they are supposed to be forced into having an aggressive playstyle at high tiers. Don't do anything about long-range invisifire though, which both the other destroyer lines can do. Nope, force the lowest health ones to close in the most, well within potential RADAR range, as opposed to their compatriots. Note, I don't even play destroyers all that much, but Fletchers/Gearings and their loving invisifire annoy me far more than long-range torpedoes, which I'm generally fully capable of anticipating and dodging. The latter just requires situation awareness and actually paying attention to the lay of the map. The former just requires sitting in a smoke cloud at 12km and just mindlessly spamming shots until you start fires. So of course they nerf the one that actually requires skill again.

Hilariously stupidly, with them stripping the 20 km torps off IJN ships and having already reduced the range of the 15 km torps down to 12 km, the Gearing now gets the longest ranged torpedoes in the game by a significant margin, at 16.5 km. Because making them crappier at their supposed specialty than another nation's ship sure makes sense. Extra points for irony for giving a WW2-era US ship the best torps in the game.

Torp speed upgrade will be rather poo poo too, given the shortened ranges, so yet another wasted skill. WG, completely and utterly loving poo poo at balancing.

edit: Right, the link. http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/80610-056-patchnotes-and-downtime/

Hilariously, reading through the thread, this was yet another change snuck in without ever running it by the testers either. Because prior drastic changes of this sort snuck in sure have worked out well.

double edit: Wait, they're adding strafing allied planes to the TK criterion? Hahahaha, what? Has anyone ever had an issue with people doing this out of spite? It's a completely legitimate tactic depending on CV matchups, and they're actually penalizing it? Wow.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 24, 2016

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Lord Koth posted:

Wow, good thing we're getting yet another nerf to IJN destroyers. Because apparently only they are supposed to be forced into having an aggressive playstyle at high tiers. Don't do anything about long-range invisifire though, which both the other destroyer lines can do. Nope, force the lowest health ones to close in the most, well within potential RADAR range, as opposed to their compatriots. Note, I don't even play destroyers all that much, but Fletchers/Gearings and their loving invisifire annoy me far more than long-range torpedoes, which I'm generally fully capable of anticipating and dodging. The latter just requires situation awareness and actually paying attention to the lay of the map. The former just requires sitting in a smoke cloud at 12km and just mindlessly spamming shots until you start fires. So of course they nerf the one that actually requires skill again.

Hilariously stupidly, with them stripping the 20 km torps off IJN ships and having already reduced the range of the 15 km torps down to 12 km, the Gearing now gets the longest ranged torpedoes in the game by a significant margin, at 16.5 km. Because making them crappier at their supposed specialty than another nation's ship sure makes sense. Extra points for irony for giving a WW2-era US ship the best torps in the game.

Torp speed upgrade will be rather poo poo too, given the shortened ranges, so yet another wasted skill. WG, completely and utterly loving poo poo at balancing.

edit: Right, the link. http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/80610-056-patchnotes-and-downtime/

Hilariously, reading through the thread, this was yet another change snuck in without ever running it by the testers either. Because prior drastic changes of this sort snuck in sure have worked out well.

double edit: Wait, they're adding strafing allied planes to the TK criterion? Hahahaha, what? Has anyone ever had an issue with people doing this out of spite? It's a completely legitimate tactic depending on CV matchups, and they're actually penalizing it? Wow.

I kind of understand what you are saying but I'd far rather have DDs spamming guns at me than the constant sudden walls of torps appearing out of nowhere. At least with gunboats you know where they are as you can look for the smoke and heading towards them will normally light them up, torp boats, yeah, don't try that.

I'm also getting a bit excited for the new Furutaka, three faster turning double turrets? Yes please.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Burt posted:

I kind of understand what you are saying but I'd far rather have DDs spamming guns at me than the constant sudden walls of torps appearing out of nowhere. At least with gunboats you know where they are as you can look for the smoke and heading towards them will normally light them up, torp boats, yeah, don't try that.

I'm also getting a bit excited for the new Furutaka, three faster turning double turrets? Yes please.

Torpedoes force ships to turn or die. They're necessary to avoid the hilariously common armor locking meta that is now pervading high tier battles. They're there to make battleships do vulnerable things so battleships can actually die in less than a minute, rather than just go bow on and survive shells from the entire team.

If WG hates IJN DDs so much, why don't they just delete them? The Fletcher and Gearing now have the longest ranged torps in the game, that were ALREADY better with regards to detection radius. And the US ships have better guns, too. So now IJN DDs are just RUS DDs with lovely turrets and +2km on torps. Wowee.

loving wargaming. The Zao can still stealth fire, and the Yamato still overmatches high tier BB armor, but no, lets nerf IJN DDs again, that's the solution!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
The Fletcher and Gearing only launch 10 torp per salvo.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Krogort posted:

The Fletcher and Gearing only launch 10 torp per salvo.

And the Fubuki launches, 9, the Kagero 8. The only outlier is the Shimakaze's 15, and good luck comparing it's torps to the Gearing's, which have like 2/3rds the detectability but 16!!!!!!!!! KM range, along with superior US RoF and manuevering, smoke screen, and AA consumable.

(Of course, the solution to this is to nerf US DDs too, because :wargaming:)

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 24, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

And the Fubuki launches, 9, the Kagero 8. The only outlier is the Shimakaze's 15, and good luck comparing it's torps to the Gearing's, which have like 2/3rds the detectability but 16!!!!!!!!! KM range, along with superior US RoF and manuevering, smoke screen, and AA consumable.

(Of course, the solution to this is to nerf US DDs too, because :wargaming:)

The Fubuki should have 3x3, Kagero 2x5 and Shima 3x4 torps. Why the Shima got 50% more torps per salvo (3x5) than any other ship is beyond me. The nerfs to the actual Torpedos range for me were justified although their Detection ranges should be no different between these 3 ships and the USN equivalents really. Or leave their detection range worse but give them faster reload or more dmg.

Right now the best torpedo boat in the game is Fletcher IMO.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
High tier torp spam is a good thing.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Turn on whatever it is that gives you the ToT of your shots, 1km/s rounds will land almost exactly on the spot that the number was hovering on when the shells arrive. Most US ships shells travel about 800m/s so you need to adjust your aim point for them, and the further away the target the more additional lead you need to add past the number of degrees.

NTRabbit posted:

OTM has a little dot above a target ship, green means it's going forwards, yellow means stopped, red in reverse. Sometimes at long range, especially with no nearby islands to provide a reference, it can be hard to judge what direction a ship is going, and a lot of pubbies like to sit still or drive backwards like they're in a tank. the scalable crosshair is just some new settings on the crosshair page I haven't touched yet, more or less replaces the functionality of the custom ones.

Huh, I hadn't actually thought to gauge it out like that. Guess I need to add another table to the spreadsheet I've got on another screen with the concelment ranges for the ships I'm playing. Nifty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Update 0.5.6 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiIFV2MDEo0

Looks like most of the things I was going to write into my mod got added:

Nifty indicator showing when you'll be able to fire over land or hit it: