Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
poop

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fruit on the bottom posted:

He's been officially replaced by Daniel Dae Kim. Does it matter that he's Korean and not Japanese? I mean I understand if the point is just to have the role go to an Asian actor, but to what degree does it matter that the nationality is still wrong?

I mean I guess no one really cares when a British actor plays an American but I don't know how comparable that is.

I mean it kinda matters, yeah, in the sense that "well you all look the same to me" is a pretty racist thing to say to someone and casting decisions of this sort are the equivalent thereof. Making a tacit statement that all Asians are interchangeable is contextually a pretty different kettle of fish from Benedict Cumberbatch putting on an awkward American accent to pretend to be a New Yorker, though even that can matter as Doctor Spaceman pointed out. A casting decision like that also has the unfortunate effect of reinforcing one of Hollywood's hoary old excuses which is that "there just aren't enough recognizable actors/star power is more important than other concerns, so we went with who we know" which serves to perpetuate an exclusive and insular environment where plenty of potential aspiring actors that could fit the bill are overlooked and marginalized.

To a lot of Americans it's not a thing that'll really register immediately the same way that casting a black actor for a white character or vice versa would, but it still sticks out as pretty weird that they can't just, y'know, find a Japanese or Japanese-American actor to play a Japanese character.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

fruit on the bottom posted:

He's been officially replaced by Daniel Dae Kim. Does it matter that he's Korean and not Japanese? I mean I understand if the point is just to have the role go to an Asian actor, but to what degree does it matter that the nationality is still wrong?

I mean I guess no one really cares when a British actor plays an American but I don't know how comparable that is.

I know that Samuel L. Jackson made headlines when he complained about the number of Black British actors getting cast in roles instead of Africian American actors.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's an as-yet unresolved issue but is definitely a growing topic of conversation, albeit one that might never get a clean resolution. I think part of the problem is that whitewashing has been so pervasive that getting the broad strokes of ethnicity right actually does qualify as meaningful progress, as sad as that may be. The other problem is that you can't ask an actor their ethnicity. Not as in "it's not cool to do so" but "literally illegal." There's not a good answer for that. If a Latinx actor of Puerto Rican origin gets cast to play a Cuban, it's still a win because at least it's not Al Pacino in brownface. You're only allowed to approximate but at least that's slowly starting to actually happen instead of just slapping some big-name white dude in a roll. Also, speaking as an American actor, I am starting to get vaguely irritated by the ubiquity of British actors playing Americans but that's not the same thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's also the really uncomfortable fact that there are so many fewer of these roles that it can cripple an actor's ability to find work. For white actors they are never wanting for work if they have any talent or name value. For Asian actors there are a very small pool of roles available and as 100% lovely as it is telling an Asian actor that they can only take roles of Korean/Japanese/etc roles means they're going to be even more limited in work. This is a part of why whitewashing is a big problem in the first place. It's further limiting an already small pool of roles.

In an ideal world it wouldn't matter because Asian actors would be getting cast for roles that aren't "this character is explicitly Asian" but they're, well, not, and a good number of them simply don't have the name recognition or brand value to be able to afford to do turn a Close Enough role because that is how they build those things, even if it is really pretty uncomfortable when you think about the idea of going "Well, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, basically all the same thing right??"

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Steady thread, steady...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've talked to a few people about it and I'd say it boils down to "We'll worry about specific nationalities later, lets work on getting people of Asian heritage cast for characters of Asian heritage".

I don't know how comparable it is to Europeans, were Russians sore about Sean Connery in Red October? It wasn't that long ago that Slavic people were seen as apart from and inferior to the "white race" and with Nazi Racism Classic™ coming back into vogue I'm sure these ideas probably becoming more common, if not still extremely fringe.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Samuringa posted:

Reading about the Toronto International Film Festival, it seems there is a I Kill Giants movie? Somehow I've never heard of it in any media outlet of forums that I frequent until now, even thought the - very small - wiki article says it has been in production since 2015

Shame because this kind of small production probably won't be released in any of my local theaters and I rather liked the original comic.

My best friend is there right now (he played Michael in the sheikh movie they're premiering), I'll see if I can get some details.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Something we're getting out of the Hellboy reboot is DH putting out four Hellboy Omnibus books which are every Mignola story in timeline order.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Did they ever finish releasing the Library Editions or are these basically replacing them?

Ah man, I just started to collect the Library editions. I never read Hellboy before, and I picked up the first two volumes.

(It did bug me that a collected issue in Volume 1 referenced a story that was only in Volume 2.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh hey look they're finally making a Black Widow movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQUBjoGm1ls

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Good for them, it's about time someone did.

rantmo posted:

Also, speaking as an American actor, I am starting to get vaguely irritated by the ubiquity of British actors playing Americans but that's not the same thing.

Isn't this one more to do with the sad fact there's been something of a dearth of actual talent in the States these last 10-15 years or so, leading to the increase of UK/Irish/Antipodean actors on the scene? It really feels like you guys skipped a generation or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Non-American actors headlining big American productions seems like a relatively recent thing to me but I'm not well-up on film history.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

IUG posted:

Ah man, I just started to collect the Library editions. I never read Hellboy before, and I picked up the first two volumes.

(It did bug me that a collected issue in Volume 1 referenced a story that was only in Volume 2.)

For Dark Horse, 'omnibus' usually means phonebook-sized softcover collection. The library editions will most likely remain the most 'prestige' release of Hellboy for the time being.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Did they ever finish releasing the Library Editions or are these basically replacing them?

The 'Hellboy in Hell' Library Edition is coming out next month and that'll cap off the entirety of Mignola's Hellboy run.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Sentinel Red posted:

Isn't this one more to do with the sad fact there's been something of a dearth of actual talent in the States these last 10-15 years or so, leading to the increase of UK/Irish/Antipodean actors on the scene? It really feels like you guys skipped a generation or something.

I don't think think that's the case, certainly not in regards to the talent of American actors, my suspicion is that it's more to do with the prestige of British actors which stems, to my mind, from strong theatre culture (another reason I'm so constantly angry that Chicago has been ignored by casting for the past 20 years now) and their accents.

Now that I think about it, I feel like it's really the recent prominence of male actors from the UK that's getting this attention, women from the UK have been playing Americans forever without much comment. I'm not sure if that's factually correct but that's my impression.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kai Tave posted:

I mean it kinda matters, yeah, in the sense that "well you all look the same to me" is a pretty racist thing to say to someone and casting decisions of this sort are the equivalent thereof. Making a tacit statement that all Asians are interchangeable is contextually a pretty different kettle of fish from Benedict Cumberbatch putting on an awkward American accent to pretend to be a New Yorker, though even that can matter as Doctor Spaceman pointed out. A casting decision like that also has the unfortunate effect of reinforcing one of Hollywood's hoary old excuses which is that "there just aren't enough recognizable actors/star power is more important than other concerns, so we went with who we know" which serves to perpetuate an exclusive and insular environment where plenty of potential aspiring actors that could fit the bill are overlooked and marginalized.

To a lot of Americans it's not a thing that'll really register immediately the same way that casting a black actor for a white character or vice versa would, but it still sticks out as pretty weird that they can't just, y'know, find a Japanese or Japanese-American actor to play a Japanese character.

rantmo posted:

It's an as-yet unresolved issue but is definitely a growing topic of conversation, albeit one that might never get a clean resolution. I think part of the problem is that whitewashing has been so pervasive that getting the broad strokes of ethnicity right actually does qualify as meaningful progress, as sad as that may be. The other problem is that you can't ask an actor their ethnicity. Not as in "it's not cool to do so" but "literally illegal." There's not a good answer for that. If a Latinx actor of Puerto Rican origin gets cast to play a Cuban, it's still a win because at least it's not Al Pacino in brownface. You're only allowed to approximate but at least that's slowly starting to actually happen instead of just slapping some big-name white dude in a roll. Also, speaking as an American actor, I am starting to get vaguely irritated by the ubiquity of British actors playing Americans but that's not the same thing.

Fair enough, I think these are where my head was going so I wanted to get the thread take

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rantmo posted:

I don't think think that's the case, certainly not in regards to the talent of American actors, my suspicion is that it's more to do with the prestige of British actors which stems, to my mind, from strong theatre culture (another reason I'm so constantly angry that Chicago has been ignored by casting for the past 20 years now) and their accents.

One of the first British actors to star as a lead in an American television production in the 1980s was Simon MacCorkindale (disclaimer: that TV show was Manimal), later followed by Joan Collins on Dynasty and Christopher Hewitt on Mr Belvedere and Patrick Stewart on TNG and so on. When he was auditioning for prime-time roles, he was advised to use an American accent because "at that time of night they didn't want viewers watching someone who sounded intellectual or who had an accent that was alien to their ears and, therefore, hard work when it came to listening."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

zoux posted:

Oh hey look they're finally making a Black Widow movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQUBjoGm1ls

I thought it was a rib until I saw the title. Yeah, ok , it's just Black Widow. I hope it's super successful in spite of JLaw and Marvel feels stupid forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why would JLaw be a liability for the film's success?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
When I say successful, I also mean that it is good. I want it to be like an entertaining movie, not like Transformers 2 or BvS. I do not enjoy Ms. Lawrence in the things I have seen her in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Daniel Dae Kim is a great actor so having him in something more high profile is good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I've only seen him in Lost but he consistently delivered.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve been a fan of Kim since he was that one good CTU field agent that showed up every now and then the help Jack.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Hey man, he's Johnny Gat. I trust him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He'd have made a great Namor.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I think Zachary Quinto would be a pretty good Namor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So following on the theme of other studios making comic book movies that should be made, is Shape of the Water a secret Abe Sapien movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=368_ovPsJk8

I mean, that's loving Abe Sapien.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kim did not speak a word of Korean when he started Lost, but you wouldn't know it from watching the show.

So they're doing both an X-force and New Mutants movie, with different teams. I really hope Longshot and Mojo are the main focuses of the X-force movie, because drat that would be awesome.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

Kim did not speak a word of Korean when he started Lost, but you wouldn't know it from watching the show.

So they're doing both an X-force and New Mutants movie, with different teams. I really hope Longshot and Mojo are the main focuses of the X-force movie, because drat that would be awesome.

X-Force is just the continuation of Deadpool with Cable and Deadpool and Domino and whoever else they get. I doubt it will deal with Mojo or Longshot.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

twistedmentat posted:

Korean is a phonetic language you can learn in an hour or two, it's not that big of an accomplishment.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rantmo posted:

Now that I think about it, I feel like it's really the recent prominence of male actors from the UK that's getting this attention, women from the UK have been playing Americans forever without much comment. I'm not sure if that's factually correct but that's my impression.

While a guy was trying to pull my arm off in BJJ class this evening, one example occurred to me of a British male actor playing an American and doing an American accent in a big Hollywood movie: Bob Hoskins in Roger Rabbit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes it's the best made written language in the world, very easy to learn

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When I was a kid and saw stuff with Hoskin's being interviewed about Roger Rabbit I was so confused why he had an english accent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That reminds me of how Hugh Laurie had so much trouble doing the American accent for House that if he heard one of the cameramen, who was British, speak at all before a take, it'd totally gently caress him up.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011

zoux posted:

So following on the theme of other studios making comic book movies that should be made, is Shape of the Water a secret Abe Sapien movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=368_ovPsJk8

I mean, that's loving Abe Sapien.
This fishface is played by the same guy who played Abe in Del Toro's Hellboy movies, too. I'm going to have to see this movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That guy plays all the best roles that involve being covered in prosthetics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
He's in the new Star Trek, and for whatever reason his character's appearance just doesn't stick, so when I try to remember, my brain just places Abe Sapien in there instead. There's a reasonably large part of me that's totally ok with that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Doug Jones. A frightfully skinny man

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Disney should've had him play Grand Moff Tarkin instead of reusing an animation rig from Jar Jar Binks. He's got the cheeks for it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

When is Hollywood going to do a gritty reboot of Pencilhead? (and Son of Pencilhead)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hey man, he's Johnny Gat. I trust him.

Holy poo poo.