Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Metapod posted:

The blazers over achieved I just don't see them doing as well

I tend to agree, but since there hasn't really been a chance to prove that I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
i'm pumping the brakes hard on the rockets without bev though i hope i'm wrong, I hope Bobby Brown goes on some sort of reverse Linsanity run where he becomes more and more hated by China as his success grows after defacing the Great Wall

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is an endorsement of the ketogenic diet imho

"They were terrible to look at and indescribable, with large heads like a Buffalo, narrow eyes like a baby bird, a snub nose like a cat, big snouts like a dog, narrow waists like an ant, and short legs like a hog. They are as strong as lions but as shrill-voiced as hawks....They bear huge litters like snakes and eat like wolves. Death does not appear among them, for they live 300 years. They do not eat bread at all."

If you guys haven't read the primary sources about the mongols, you should. There are great stories about men who have one arm and one leg, no head, a face on their torso, who fight by rolling at their enemy. There are dog men covered in fur who get in freezing water which turns to solid ice and acts like armor all over their bodies, it's great stuff

gently caress this, no more bread for me.

And yeah I want to read these things.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ghost Dog posted:

an mvp in his prime joining a historically good team has almost certainly never happened in any major american sport? i can't think of anything in basketball or football but maybe im wrong. i dont know what the nba could do to prevent it but it seems less routine than you are making it out to be

i mean the reason its never happened before is probably just cause no one that good at something is usually that loving bitchmade that their only hope at winning is gutting their oppositions main rivals and joining them

In the NBA I would say LeBron joining the Heat would be the closest parallel

ANd I would guess A-Rod to the Yankees, but I don't know a ton about baseball

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is an endorsement of the ketogenic diet imho

"They were terrible to look at and indescribable, with large heads like a Buffalo, narrow eyes like a baby bird, a snub nose like a cat, big snouts like a dog, narrow waists like an ant, and short legs like a hog. They are as strong as lions but as shrill-voiced as hawks....They bear huge litters like snakes and eat like wolves. Death does not appear among them, for they live 300 years. They do not eat bread at all."

hmm, so the lebron heat were the mongols and the warriors are an actual chimera

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

an mvp in his prime joining a historically good team has almost certainly never happened in any major american sport? i can't think of anything in basketball or football but maybe im wrong. i dont know what the nba could do to prevent it but it seems less routine than you are making it out to be

the formation of the Three Alphas combined with Doug McDermott

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lurkers I know you are out there POST YOU FUCKERS

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Beno Udrih is a piston. :siren: BENO UDRIH IS A PISTON :siren:

I'm excited. I've always loved Beno. I'll take Beno + Ish over Beno + Ray McCallum or Lorenzo Brown. Beno just has one game a week where he looks great, that's probably all they need to hold the line enough to make sure they make the playoffs should Jackson miss 2 months

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

In the NBA I would say LeBron joining the Heat would be the closest parallel

ANd I would guess A-Rod to the Yankees, but I don't know a ton about baseball

that team wasnt really that good till lebron made it good tho, i don't think its similar at all

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Metapod posted:

Lurking in here for about 4-5 years

I'm mildly intrigued about the upcoming season. Bought Int. league pass for another year.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

I've been lurking in this thread for ages, I have LP but being in Australia the games are all on while I'm at work and I don't have time to watch many and thus can't contribute in a meaningful way.
Rest assured pretty much all my basketball opinions are formed from this thread in one way or another, and hoping all Australians in the NBA do well.
Except Aaron Baynes

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.

EoinCannon posted:

I've been lurking in this thread for ages, I have LP but being in Australia the games are all on while I'm at work and I don't have time to watch many and thus can't contribute in a meaningful way.
Rest assured pretty much all my basketball opinions are formed from this thread in one way or another, and hoping all Australians in the NBA do well.
Except Aaron Baynes

Why are you hating on the House o' Bayne?
e: also hoping you managed to catch the VPN ILP pass info I posted like 20 pages back to get yourself a discount on the ridiculous $330Au price.

Smellyhead fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 25, 2016

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Curry and Green are on ridiculously good contracts. I feel like that too often gets left out of the stories of how these Warriors ended up like this, because no one wants to give the douchebag franchise credit.

It's not like KD took a mid-level to ring chase, he got his max.

If there had been no max salary last year, the Warriors would have been one of the least affected of the competitive franchises.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Metapod posted:

But then I have to think of things to say!

I'm excited for the season. Mostly because I'm buying Windy City Bulls tickets to heckle Jerian Grant in leather seats.

I think the Bulls are going to be entertainingly bad this year. I want to see who cracks first, Taj or Portis.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stagger_Lee posted:

Curry and Green are on ridiculously good contracts. I feel like that too often gets left out of the stories of how these Warriors ended up like this, because no one wants to give the douchebag franchise credit.

It's not like KD took a mid-level to ring chase, he got his max.

If there had been no max salary last year, the Warriors would have been one of the least affected of the competitive franchises.

Why should they get credit for insane luck? Because Curry's situation is pure luck. Good for them, bad for him.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Niwrad posted:

That's the solution right there. And the fairest because stars are vastly underpaid in this league at the expense of role players.

Gotta keep the role players happy, that's the power of collective bargaining BABY

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Metapod posted:

I'm always 1000 posts behind on this thread.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN

EVIL NOONER posted:

lol 40 year old malone that played 20 games for the lakers that season

He played half the season and they were really good when he was in the lineup/healthy.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Smellyhead posted:

Why are you hating on the House o' Bayne?
e: also hoping you managed to catch the VPN ILP pass info I posted like 20 pages back to get yourself a discount on the ridiculous $330Au price.

I found his incompetence while playing for Spurs embarrassing to my country.
Nah I don't hate him, I wish him well, he needs a haircut though

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bulls are a depressing mess, but i'm excited for Second Year Portis and I'm thinking of adopting Unconditional McDermott Fandom as my 2016 Posting Affectation

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Dr. Furious posted:

He played half the season and they were really good when he was in the lineup/healthy.

no he played literally 21 games hth

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN

EVIL NOONER posted:

no he played literally 21 games hth

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/malonka01/gamelog/2004/

42 regular season 21 playoffs hth

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

well you're right but that still doesnt really change the fact that lol @ listing 40 year old karl malone like having him made a super team that compares to GSW

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Metapod posted:

Go Dubs

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN

EVIL NOONER posted:

well you're right but that still doesnt really change the fact that lol @ listing 40 year old karl malone like having him made a super team that compares to GSW

Agreed that it's not quite the same but even at 40 Malone was pretty good. He averaged 15/10 before he went down after the first stretch of the season. Dude dropped 30 in the first round against the Rockets. Him slowing down by the end of the playoffs was a big part of the Lakers losing to Detroit that season.

04 WCF and the collapse of the Wolves team the year after is probably the peak (trough?) of sports disappointment for me. The Wolves look like they could be really good really soon but I don't know if I can bring myself to trust them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bulls are a depressing mess, but i'm excited for Second Year Portis and I'm thinking of adopting Unconditional McDermott Fandom as my 2016 Posting Affectation

I'm gonna end up Rooting for MCW or Caanan I think.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
i wish there was another kevin garnett

not like, somebody like him. just another one of him.

Dexo posted:

I'm gonna end up Rooting for MCW or Caanan I think.

i will be rooting for maximum rondo

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

i like hoop ball

my favorite team is the south texan boot spikes

i hope they play well tomorrow though i expect them to get whooped real good

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Senf posted:

Go Dubs

It's going to be a wild ride. I hope Kerr can make it work without too much spinning of wheels, and that the 2nd unit can hold its own on most nights.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
play kd off the bench imo

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Metapod posted:

The Grizzlies are cool and good, but the Titans are lame and bad.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Metapod posted:

This season I'm looking forward to a continuation of this bizarre Cleveland sports success. I never posted much to begin with, but the Anthony Bennett age sucked away my meager online presence. For their historic championship last year, i watched silently, an old man with a tear in his eye. I intend to do the same thing this year.

I already miss Mo Williams (BUT THIS TIME FOREVER.)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Metapod posted:

I think the Celtics are the second best team in the East and 4th best team in the NBA after the Warriors, Cavs, and Spurs. I think the Clippers, Raptors, Thunder, and Blazers all regress.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why should they get credit for insane luck? Because Curry's situation is pure luck. Good for them, bad for him.

Klay Thompson's contract was not luck at all. And it was a brilliant move.

RedApe98
Mar 17, 2009

Metapod posted:

I love this thread :love:! I was actually listening to Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World audiobook yesterday strangely enough, the Great Khan and his empire have always been one of my favorite parts of history to read about. Sadly I won't be able to watch as much basketball as I did the last couple years, will have to stick to just watching Blazers and Spurs games I think.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Metapod posting with all his burner accounts

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Metapod posting with all his burner accounts

including a one Punkin Spunkin, and a one chunkles. of course nobody would ever suspect that a man from oklahoma could successfully impersonate sophisticated cosmopolitans from texas.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Tim Bontemps sounds so depressed over having gone to the Bay Area to cover the Warriors and it's hilarious
It's the divine boredom of the perfect team.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

andey. uhh. varejao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Ghost Dog posted:

i mean the reason its never happened before is probably just cause no one that good at something is usually that loving bitchmade that their only hope at winning is gutting their oppositions main rivals and joining them

It's so funny how people that don't get paid to play sports are so adept at telling people who their 'rivals' are.

Bashez posted:

Klay Thompson's contract was not luck at all. And it was a brilliant move.

Exactly, Klay and Dray both signed their contracts knowing full well that the cap was expanding but they were more comfortable taking the guarantee than risking the season the same way that Harrison Barnes did. That's their choice, not this mythical 'luck'.

And people can say what the hell they want about Steph's contract but holy gently caress, the Warriors took a calculated risk and it paid off. At the time that they gave him his contract it was generally panned around the bay on the radio and in the news but people begrudgingly said "You just have to take a chance on this kid." Why shouldn't they be allowed to have the benefit of the doubt of taking a chance that paid off? For all the Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill contracts, every now and then someone with a lower leg injury actually does recover and does go on to own. Just a few years ago people were worried about Russell Westbrook's future because he'd had a few knee injuries. The Warriors bought low, Curry's stock zoomed up, and now they're owning. Sweet.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 25, 2016

• Locked thread