Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

spectralent posted:

Yeah but... I mean, is that going to be your NCO checking people's underwear drawers? That just seems bizarre to me.

The military is a strange and terrible place, just look at GIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

spectralent posted:

This sounds particularly amusing given the soviets had women in the army (I know that's probably not what it means but my mental image is funnier).

I wonder if a well made hardcore pair of briefs saw action from 1943 to 45?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
In the US Army it is technically possible to buy generic underwear from on post military clothing bldg.

No one does this.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

In the US Army it is technically possible to buy generic underwear from on post military clothing bldg.

No one does this.

Stocks of ten year old underwear just gathering dust in a warehouse somewhere.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

spectralent posted:

Yeah but... I mean, is that going to be your NCO checking people's underwear drawers? That just seems bizarre to me.

Welcome to the <military branch in question>. Checking lockers/drawers/kitbags/conducting surprise inspections when the troops may or may not have been dressed and ready, et cetera, is pretty standard. Especially since at some point, an inspection by an officer may loom, and you'd much rather have Schuckatelli & Co. have their poo poo together before the <base/wing/battalion/whatever> commander wanders by.

Oh, and in case, y'know, enemy action and you find that they're lightened their loadout by swapping out the mortar baseplate with an appropriately-sized chuck of beaverboard or poo poo like that.

I knew an Air Force dude who got outright evicted from the on-base dorms because the First Sergeant did a little pre-inspection before the Wing Commander's one, and found:

1 - multiple bottles/cups of dip spit all over the room
2 - clothes both clean and dirty scattered all over the room
3 - food and wood food waste likewise
4 - an electric iron left plugged in and operating when Airman Schmuckatelli hadn't been present for roughly 36 hours before said pre-inspection

And I'm sure there was more, I'd been there once picking up something from the guy and it was a pigsty.

Anyway, the highest levels of this are usually in basic training because that's where you're *supposed* to pound into their heads that uniformity is required, et cetera, but it's present to some level all the way through the ranks. Major General Schmuckatelli doesn't get screamed at by a frothing Gunnery Sergeant, however, just because his underwear drawer is a display case from Victoria's Secret - by that rank, it's assumed that you'll at least *appear* to be within regs.

Edit for typo

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 7, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yes, there are health and welfare inspections in the Army. Checking what brand of underwear someone wears is not part of that. Same with socks, except for some regulations about style, color, etc of socks.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gnoman posted:

That part of the video was very outdated (the rest is excellent, but that part is based on 1950s notions). The nuclear-tipped ABM is no longer a high-yield warhead trying to disable the warhead with an electromagnetic pulse or destroy it with blast. The current paradigm (which as far as I know is only used by Russia, as the US variant was cancelled due to cost concerns even for the single site allowed by treaty) is for in-atmosphere interceptions to use a very low yield enhanced radiation warhead that destroys the electronics with hard neutron radiation,

The old paradigm wasn't to destroy it with blast or EMP, either. The idea was instead either that neutron flux from the detonation of the ABM would cause predetonation of the incoming warhead, or the x-ray flux would cause thermal expansion of the incoming warhead sufficient to preclude nuclear yield.

The current paradigm is to physically strike the inbound with a purely kinetic projectile.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phanatic posted:

The current paradigm is to physically strike the inbound with a purely kinetic projectile.

At mach 25. I know this is getting opseccy but are the major hurdles for terminal interception with rocket tech or computational?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

At mach 25. I know this is getting opseccy but are the major hurdles for terminal interception with rocket tech or computational?

From a position of pure sunday afternoon rocket sciencing ignorance I'm going to assume it's about guidance (which I guess falls under computational). We've been doing crazy loving poo poo with rockets for a really long time, up to and including making obscenely high velocity poo poo.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Phanatic posted:

The old paradigm wasn't to destroy it with blast or EMP, either. The idea was instead either that neutron flux from the detonation of the ABM would cause predetonation of the incoming warhead, or the x-ray flux would cause thermal expansion of the incoming warhead sufficient to preclude nuclear yield.

Reread my post. I was specifically referring to the concepts of NUCLEAR anti-ballistic missile systems. The first generation of nuclear systems (mentioned in the video) used fairly large yield warheads to EMP or blast the warheads. The second generation was what I was referring to, is still in use by Russia (on the AMB-3 batteries deployed around Moscow) was designed around hard radiation kills from ER warheads. For nuclear devices, this is the current paradigm. Everybody except Russia (IIRC China was working on a system, and Britain and France were intersted in the US system) abandoned nuclear ABMs in the 1970s and 1980s, and began developing non-nuclear systems in the late 90s.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

From a position of pure sunday afternoon rocket sciencing ignorance I'm going to assume it's about guidance (which I guess falls under computational). We've been doing crazy loving poo poo with rockets for a really long time, up to and including making obscenely high velocity poo poo.

Yeah I didn't mean to be overly restrictive there, my question is basically is it a matter of getting the interceptor there fast enough or hitting the target accurately enough. Or something else.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gnoman posted:

The British were perfectly eager to fight (on multiple occasions during the war an outnumbered British fleet charged out to meet the French only to see the latter disengage) - they just had an outmoded idea of the best way to go about it. Put simply, a broken line-of-battle was expected to lead inevitably to defeat in detail, so Admirals had developed the hard doctrine of "never, ever break the line". The British were masters of this, and it had held them in good stead during the previous naval war. Rodney realized this was a dead end, and began to focus plans to break the enemy line instead of preserving his own.

Problem being though the Royal Navy is the work horse of the war. They need to not only keep that fleet in check, but ensure that the rest of the British dominated Carribean and the soldiers stationed can go both ways to the mainland along with reinforcing, moving and supply the Army via the coast and bringing men and money across the atlantic.

Doesn't excuse the achingly slow actions to try and save the army at Yorktown.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Would it be seriously uncool of me to request a paper in this thread? Amazingly, me begging on an internet forum is actually a lot faster and more efficient than waiting for document delivery.

PM sent

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

spectralent posted:

They made your immediate NCO watch your dick when they did piss tests. When I say watch your dick I mean they literally had to watch the piss come out of your dick into the cup. It was insanely uncomfortable but they had to make sure you weren't cheating. It also meant every NCO saw the dicks of their immediate subordinates. This includes the LT and First Sergeant who had to watch each other's dicks. That means as you get promoted you are forced to stare at dicks...

Don't ask me how they did it for the women. I'm assuming it's uncomfortable squatting over a cup while another woman states at your vagina.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

They made your immediate NCO watch your dick when they did piss tests. When I say watch your dick I mean they literally had to watch the piss come out of your dick into the cup. It was insanely uncomfortable but they had to make sure you weren't cheating. It also meant every NCO saw the dicks of their immediate subordinates. This includes the LT and First Sergeant who had to watch each other's dicks. That means as you get promoted you are forced to stare at dicks...

I hate to break it to you, but that setup was not just unusual, it's expressly against army regulation.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

mlmp08 posted:

I hate to break it to you, but that setup was not just unusual, it's expressly against army regulation.

I'm just telling you how we did it back in 06. Maybe it's changed since then or we just had serious problems with people cheating. It was more to illustrate how NCOs have to do lovely things to make sure privates are being honest.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The dick looking is authorized. Having the immediate supervisor do it every time is a great way for an NCO and subordinate to do lines together and never get caught or to exact favors.

Doubly so for LT and 1SG or LT and LT watching each other.

It's not a hard and fast rule, but units I've been in have discouraged putting direct leader in charge of watching their own squad to avoid collusion or awkwardness.

I've very rarely had units get super serious about staring directly at your dick the entire time, save special missions and predeployment.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ask Us About Military History: the dick looking is authorised

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

From the 1992 Gun Digest, experimental Thompsons:

Thompson T2

.30 Carbine

.30-06

The T2 in particular was a cheaper variant intended to replace the original, which was cancelled when the M3 Grease Gun was accepted instead.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The thought of a .30-06 Thompson both horrifies and amazes me

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The T2 looks like some kind of sci-fi space gun.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Wouldn't a Thompson chambered in .30 Carbine basically be an early assault rifle?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That thing seems like it should be a unique weapon in Fallout: New Vegas.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Davin Valkri posted:

Wouldn't a Thompson chambered in .30 Carbine basically be an early assault rifle?

Not quite. .30 Carbine is still a pistol cartridge, and I doubt it'd be selective fire.

Edit: There was, for reference, a fully automatic version of the M1 Carbine, the M2, which IIRC got a decent amount of use in Korea.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

Not any more than the M2 (a select fire version of the original M1) Carbine was. The .30 Carbine round was too weak for that role, being more of a really hot pistol round rather than a lower-powered rifle round. The effective range just wasn't good enough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

30.06 is equivalent to 7.62 right? So why would a Thompson chambered for that be worse than an AK-47?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

zoux posted:

30.06 is equivalent to 7.62 right? So why would a Thompson chambered for that be worse than an AK-47?

The AK-47 fires 7.62x39. .30-06 is roughly equivalent to 7.62x51, the rounds are entirely different. It'd be more like a full-auto M-14, which was entirely uncontrollable.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The thought of a .30-06 Thompson both arouses and arouses some more me

Fixed!

zoux posted:

Two totally different 7.62 rounds. .30-06 has like half again to twice as much energy, depending on which .30-06 we're talking about.

OneTruePecos fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 7, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Phanatic posted:

The AK-47 fires 7.62x39. .30-06 is roughly equivalent to 7.62x51, the rounds are entirely different. It'd be more like a full-auto M-14, which was entirely uncontrollable.

For reference:

Edit: Also 7.62x51 is the equivalent of .308 Winchester, .30-06 is even bigger.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 7, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know very much about gun stuff.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

zoux posted:

I don't know very much about gun stuff.

No worries, if nothing else you're in the right place to learn :v:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The Thompson was designed for the .45 Automatic Colt Pistol, also known as the 11.43×23mm. It was tolerably controllable with this round, due to the weight of the weapon.

.30 Carbine is a 7.62×33mm round with a fairly low velocity. It is comparable to the .357 Magnum cartridge in performance. A Thomson in this cartridge would work wall enough, but the M2 version of the carbine was superior.

The AK uses a 7.62x39mm round. This round is considerably more powerful than the .45 ACP or .30 Carbine, and would be very hard to control in a weapon the size of a Thompson.

The .30-06 is a 7.62x63mm round. A Thompson chambered in this cartridge would more accurately be described as an anti-aircraft weapon, because as soon as you pulled the trigger the barrel would start pointing almost straight up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

No worries, if nothing else you're in the right place to learn :v:

Well I'm glad I found out before the apocalypse happens and I try to load up the AK I got off the body of a Water Raider with deer hunting bullets from Walmart.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

See how far back you'd need to put your face to keep the buffer tube from whacking you in the nose?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also the article says the .30-06 Thompson rifle had lubricating pads on the magazine to allow proper functioning (normally indicates very fast and rough extraction) and never had sights applied, suggesting that it functioned too violently to even progress to accuracy testing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chitoryu12 posted:

Also the article says the .30-06 Thompson rifle had lubricating pads on the magazine to allow proper functioning (normally indicates very fast and rough extraction) and never had sights applied, suggesting that it functioned too violently to even progress to accuracy testing.

Reminds me of what a Royal Navy officer in charge of testing the Mars automatic had to say about that particular gun: "No one who fired once with the pistol wished to shoot it again"

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Reminds me of what a Royal Navy officer in charge of testing the Mars automatic had to say about that particular gun: "No one who fired once with the pistol wished to shoot it again"

Wikipedia posted:

"It used a unique long recoil rotating bolt action which ejected spent cartridges straight to the rear."

I'm sorry, what?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It poops hot casings at your face from it's bum.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

SeanBeansShako posted:

It poops hot casings at your face from it's bum.
As much "ejecting at your face" as "dropping on your forearm", since the bolt recoils almost to your elbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The BAR was chambered in .30-06. It's, uh.. somewhat beefier than a regular Thompson (about twice the weight), but that prototype looks pretty substantially up-sized so maybe it's not super uncontrollable.