Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Barudak posted:

Anakin Skywalker has a better developed fall than Dany

From my point of view the Jedi women and children of King's Landing are evil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Communist Bear posted:

Yeah that's fair. Probably why what i'm writing sucks, I haven't fleshed out the ending properly yet. :smith:

Just do whatever and if anyone doesn't like it call them babies and say you don't owe them anything. lol

Also Stephen King loved the ending. An author notorious for his terrible, terrible endings loved a five minute wrapup after an almost out of nowhere heel turn. Who would have guessed?!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol if Stephen King loves the ending you know you dun goofed.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1134193014300184576

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

from the man himself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyanTVqlJ2o

ya blew it boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqPRwq3QJsk

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Solice Kirsk posted:

Accept for when it did like 3 episodes before.

"climactic"

the ending was never going to be the triumph of man over an amoral force of destruction - it was always the struggle for the iron throne. the climax is Dany hitting her moment of hamartia and the battle at winterfell serves largely to get her into position for that.

it's not well done but it's not pointlessly "subversive", and it's still better than the fanfic retread of lotr that a subset of fans genuinely would seem to prefer

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I always liked the Michael Caine joke after he starred in Jaws 3 how the movie was garbage but the summer home he built with the movie paydays was great.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
If Harry Strickland was a bastard would he be named Harry Butane?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Justin Massey is often referred to as one of Lord Stannis's bannermen, but in reality he is a small-time copper pipe reseller and recreational meth user

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

"climactic"

the ending was never going to be the triumph of man over an amoral force of destruction - it was always the struggle for the iron throne. the climax is Dany hitting her moment of hamartia and the battle at winterfell serves largely to get her into position for that.

it's not well done but it's not pointlessly "subversive", and it's still better than the fanfic retread of lotr that a subset of fans genuinely would seem to prefer

An amoral force of Just, Like, Poke That One Guy And They All Explode

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah you're a loving nitwit if you thought A Song of Ice and Fire would be about ice and fire.

quote:

the climax is Dany hitting her moment of hamartia

Which is exactly people's point though? It fuckin' comes out of nowhere. There is no fatal flaw established or anything, she didn't tragically burn the city down on accident. If it isn't an established tragic flaw or a tragic accident then where's the hamartia?

e:

Aristotle posted:

the character between these two extremes – that of a man who is not eminently good and just, yet whose misfortune is brought about not by vice or depravity, but by some error or frailty.

Like I dunno that doesn't sound like Dany to me. In fact what would be WAY BETTER is if Dany inadvertently set off the wildfire stashed around the city and inadvertently burnt down the city like her father was going to do on purpose. Then that leads to her downfall because everyone turns on her. That's a Greek tragedy ending to be proud of at least.

Instead we got a hamfisted "and now she is evil."

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 31, 2019

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Is hamartia another olde english word for nephew?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Like I dunno that doesn't sound like Dany to me. In fact what would be WAY BETTER is if Dany inadvertently set off the wildfire stashed around the city and inadvertently burnt down the city like her father was going to do on purpose. Then that leads to her downfall because everyone turns on her. That's a Greek tragedy ending to be proud of at least.

Instead we got a hamfisted "and now she is evil."

That's what I thought was going to happen while watching it. Like I figured she got mad that Cersie surrendered and she wouldn't be able to have her revenge. So Dany would get pissed and blow the poo poo out of the Red Keep, but whoopsie poo poo falls on folks and lights the city on fire.

Then she's all "but I'm the good guy" and people are like lol you burned the city down.

Instead yeah she just went evil for no reason because uh

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Lt. Danger posted:

"climactic"

At least the fanfic is idiosyncratic and crazy, the show is just a dull funeral march.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It's not evil to destroy your enemies in times of war. Dany is a war hero. She single handedly took out a city so her own troops could live and single handedly squashed any opposition. A great warrior and conqueror. If it wasn't for the coward Jon Snow Dany would have changed the world for the better

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Collapsing Farts posted:

It's not evil to destroy your enemies in times of war. Dany is a war hero. She single handedly took out a city so her own troops could live and single handedly squashed any opposition. A great warrior and conqueror. If it wasn't for the coward Jon Snow Dany would have changed the world for the better

This is an excellent username post combo.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The one angle it maybe works from is if 'oh wow she was like this the whole tiiiiime'. All those times she dug herself into a hole and escaped by having the dragons burn everything. I don't think they do selective targeting. Oh, that wedding was all masters, the dragon strikes will continue.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Serious question: As a non-book reader who was dissatisfied with the final seasons and hated 8, I've decided to read the books. I've read a number of people here and elsewhere say that season 1 is basically the first book. So keeping that in mind would it be safe to just start with book 2? Or is there still a bunch of stuff in the first book that isn't at all shown in season 1?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just read all the books. There's a bunch of foreshadowing and intros to characters that aren't in the show.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
season 1 not deviating doesnt mean it includes everything. but if you hated season 8 and want to rectify that by reading the books maybe you should wait like 15 more years for the last 2 books to be nearly done

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The books are actually excellent as far as fantasy literature goes, GRRM's characters are very very vivid for the genre. especially 1-3, 4-5 would be one good book but I don't mind all the meandering. just read all of them.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

MustardFacial posted:

Serious question: As a non-book reader who was dissatisfied with the final seasons and hated 8, I've decided to read the books. I've read a number of people here and elsewhere say that season 1 is basically the first book. So keeping that in mind would it be safe to just start with book 2? Or is there still a bunch of stuff in the first book that isn't at all shown in season 1?

I haven't read the books but from what I understand theres some really big plotlines they didn't include in the show like young griff which is apparently Vary's actual reason for existing

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Agita posted:

I haven't read the books but from what I understand theres some really big plotlines they didn't include in the show like young griff which is apparently Vary's actual reason for existing

that's not until book 5. book 1 is good because it's your only chance to get ned chapters which are all amazing so just read it.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Start with book 1. It's not a hard read or a huge tome and you get interesting details that the show glosses over or downright skips. Then you can eventually join the rest of us - bitter and sardonic because the last two books are never coming.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

The Walrus posted:

that's not until book 5. book 1 is good because it's your only chance to get ned chapters which are all amazing so just read it.

Looks like I have 3 days to finish Adrian Newey's book then.

halokiller posted:

Then you can eventually join the rest of us - bitter and sardonic because the last two books are never coming.

This is my end goal.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They also cut Stannis from the first season despite being in the first book, and while I'm not a diehard like some people treat him he is actually entertaining in the books (because they don't mangle his plot constantly to paper over omissions from more popular characters' plots)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
stannis was not in the first book

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Is melissandre in the books?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mameluke posted:

They also cut Stannis from the first season despite being in the first book, and while I'm not a diehard like some people treat him he is actually entertaining in the books (because they don't mangle his plot constantly to paper over omissions from more popular characters' plots)

He's a cool character, but he's not actually in the first book. A few times he's mentioned, in a Petruchio kind of way.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yes but stannis is much less devoted to her especially at first, he is with her it seems because his wife wanted her and out of desperation

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

halokiller posted:

Then you can eventually join the rest of us - bitter and sardonic because the last two books are never coming.

Nah, as others have pointed out they'll definitely bring in hack fraud Brandon Sanderson to finish it after GRRM chokes on a pie.

I do keep my eyes open for a short round man in a railroad cap whenever I'm in Santa Fe.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Varys is a merman in the books, it is known.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Moridin920 posted:

Varys is a merman in the books, it is known.

What does this mean, where is it coming from? I read 2 GoT threads and I don't get the reference (I've read both the books and seen the show) so obviously, I wasn't really paying attention but. Please explain.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
He talks about paddling in water

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

pseudanonymous posted:

What does this mean, where is it coming from? I read 2 GoT threads and I don't get the reference (I've read both the books and seen the show) so obviously, I wasn't really paying attention but. Please explain.

It’s a dumb and not-entirely-serious fan theory that Varys is a merman. I think Wyman Manderly as well?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pseudanonymous posted:

Someone on SA and then transposed to Reddit and now here again posted:

1. When Arya is stalking Varys and Illyrio:

1a. She hears water dripping in the distance.
1b. Next she observes Illyrio and Varys coming up from a vast 'well'(this is the word GRRM uses) that goes down out of sight.
1c. Varys pulls a lever and a wall descends blocking the well from sight.
1d. After the two come up, Arya trails them for quite a long distance, gradually descending.
1e. Finally she loses them, stumbles forward and finds herself at the end of a sewer emptying into the river. She dives in and swims for a while to get clean, washes her clothes, then scampers off home.

2. Varys and Illyrio are both noted for their abnormally large size, while also noted as being incredibly light on their feet. This suggests an abnormal strength.

3. Varys is noted to have a peculiar, slimy smile. This could be interpreted to mean he does not show his teeth, and that could be because he has very abnormal teeth.

4. When Tyrion threatened to throw Varys overboard, Varys retorted that he would be surprised at the result.

5. There is noted to be no bed in Vary's quarters. If he is a Merling he would likely sleep at sea or like most fish perhaps not at all.

6. Another character we know with peculiar teeth is Biter, another abnormally large man with enormous strength. The idea that this barely sentient being sat around and filed all his teeth just to scare people is absurd.

7. Varys and Illyrio both associate humans with birds, naturally as these are two lower species to them. Explains the ease with which they chop off children's tongues.

8. From their one meeting, it appears that the Merlings are experts at manipulating the humans in secret. And also there is a hint these two have plenty of patience, they seem to be comfortable waiting years for their plans to bear fruit. Perhaps they have very long lifespans or are just more patient than humans.

9. When the subject of eating people came up, Varys licked his lips.

10. Varys likely is not a Eunuch, as there is a point where he is parlaying with Tyrion where Tyrion notes that his voice seemed deeper than usual. Even if he is a Eunuch, it doesn't mean he has to be human.

11. Since he probably isn't a Eunuch, Vary's lack of sexual interest in human females is explained by being a Merling.

12. Littlefinger comes from a seafaring merchant family of Braavos and is an accomplished sailor himself, if anyone is likely to ever see the reclusive Merlings, it's the merchants and fisherman.

13. One of Littlefinger's ships is named 'The Merling King'.

14. Littlefinger claims to have Varys completely under his control.

15. House Manderly. Hugely fat, port city, can't ride a horse, they even have a Merling as their house crest. Wyman Manderly bakes Freys into pies.

16. With no readily apparent motivation, Ser Mandon Moore tried to murder Tyrion on the Blackwater. When thrown overboard, it is noted he did not scream.

17. Mandon Moore is referred to repeatedly as having dead eyes or fish eyes, and of having "no life but duty".

18. Before being attacked, Tyrion had just set Blackwater Bay on fire using wildfire which would be deadly to any creatures living underneath.

19. The Drowned God. Very handy to have a large group of humans willing to do anything for you, and it provides a ready source of spies in places of power, such as Patchface, who often tells riddles about life under the sea.

20. There is something more to Patchface, as he foretold the Red Wedding.

21. Doesn't it seem suspicious that Euron Greyjoy was so well prepared for the Kingsmoot? Almost as though he knew that this ancient ritual for selecting a ruler would resurrected -- almost as if it was done specifically for him. Perhaps Euron has been playing his brother Aeron for a fool by filling his head with "voices from the sea".

22. Davos Seaworth's visit from the "The Mother" may have actually been a siren or a mermaid. After his rescue, Davos was primed and determined to kill Melisandre. Like Aeron and Patchface, it seems Davos's drowning may have filled his head with ideas.

23. Melisandre is afraid of Patchface.

24. Brienne is told about 'squishers' by one of her companions. They are described as man eating fish people that walk on two feet.

25. If you were to give a baby the name Varys in our world today, it would mean the following: Varys - Vari - Stream; Varish - Sleeping on the Sea

26. "The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling."

27. What do Varys and Illyrio want with Dragons? This is more speculative, but consider that:
27a. When you bring Ice and Fire together, you get water.
27b. Is it as simple as this? Bring the dragons north and melt the Ice, including perhaps the entire Wall. What you have done then is raise the coastlines around the entire world. Magical global melting...
What do the merlings get out of it? Liebensraum. More ocean real estate.
27c. If the flooding were extreme enough, only a few islands would remain, places like the Eyrie.
27d. Littlefinger, "The Merling King", has made his seat the Eyrie.
27e. If this theory is correct, Littlefinger would have been made King by Merlings, giving a new take on the meaning to the ship's name.

Under the sea, no one can hear you scream, I know I know oh oh oh...

(some leaps in logic there and idk what some of those points have to do with others but it is a repost and not mine)

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 31, 2019

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Pham Nuwen posted:

Nah, as others have pointed out they'll definitely bring in hack fraud Brandon Sanderson to finish it after GRRM chokes on a pie.

Going off this gentleman's wikipedia photos, he seems almost as likely to die from pie as Gurm is.

Are there any like, swole fantasy authors? None of them have gym as a hobby I guess? None of those desk pedal things?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Are there any like, swole fantasy authors? None of them have gym as a hobby I guess? None of those desk pedal things?

Joe Abercrombie is a little bit swole, for a fantasy author anyway.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

RobattoJesus posted:

Joe Abercrombie is a little bit swole, for a fantasy author anyway.

Yeah ok those biceps are pretty juiced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYMHdf7TwJA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Still loling at bran the broken, rofl