Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
man, if you don't work at a computer job for a couple of years people really start to think you forgot how to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m part of this “devops champion” thing at work, it’s as bad as you would think

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

cjs: I have gotten several emails asking what I know about devops, and aws. Oh no

welcome to the club. aws is devouring everything

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Devops is ok... to an extent. We tried to maintain a strict separation for a long time between dev and infrastructure and at a point the disconnect gets a bit too ridiculous.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have hot takes on it, most of them are cynical jokes that would get me a bunch of well actually replies, but it's not a bad concept when implemented well.

problem is it's never implemented well

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
devops is a thing where the only way to implement it well is to have already been doin it and then when you need the sticker of Bein Devopsy just slap the sticker on

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Jonny 290 posted:

problem is it's never implemented well

all_IT_methodologies.txt

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

our devops team has done a great job, dev infra changes are completely frictionless. it helps that we have some people of the original devopsdays fame, the belgian thing devops was born out of, so they're way more pragmatic than the "now we do devops and mlops" theatre i've experienced before.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

cls: two weeks with no aircon

i have become used to sleeping in 30c and when we took the kids to the mall to get some food and aircon, i was cold.

i am ready for 35c sleeps in 10 years

wtf is taking so long

seriously just get a window unit or two and craigslist them once your hvac is fixed

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

please someone tell me what video software to pirate

https://i.imgur.com/WaVwPZC.mp4

This is still loving hysterical. Thank you.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
any place that is hot right now has very low stock of those if any

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

loud butter
check it and see
i'm waking dad up
at a quarter to three

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Video Nasty posted:

This is still loving hysterical. Thank you.

thanks. i wish I would have made the butter in the wrapper and swapped it to unwrapped when he yells

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
cjs: having massive depression and fear all of a sudden. also, it kinda feels like there's a bruise on the back of my skull :smith:

edit: :rip:
https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1420458868572831747

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 29, 2021

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs:

Customer: "I submitted that ticket on Monday and it still says it's in 'Open' status. Do you know when it'll be ready."
Me, who has been intentionally ignoring the ticket: "I'll get to it when I can."

:smug:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i need to purchase an inkjet printer. what is the least worst option? brother?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

why do you need inkjet

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DELETE CASCADE posted:

get brother but also get laser jet instead and if you need colour copies sometimes go to kinkos

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i don't need inkjet technically but ~my girlfriend~ insists on printing stuff in color

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

get her a red and black brother laser printer. 2 colors should be enough for anyone

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

CPColin posted:

cjs:

Customer: "I submitted that ticket on Monday and it still says it's in 'Open' status. Do you know when it'll be ready."
Me, who has been intentionally ignoring the ticket: "I'll get to it when I can."

:smug:

feels good

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm really glad i have supportive and sane friends. i guess their spider senses were tingling last night and invited me over for some wine. as soon as i walked in i straight up said that i was extremely pissed off and that i was just gonna be riding the angry wave for a few hours. they were totally cool with it and helped me ride it out until i calmed down a few hours later

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm really glad i have supportive and sane friends. i guess their spider senses were tingling last night and invited me over for some wine. as soon as i walked in i straight up said that i was extremely pissed off and that i was just gonna be riding the angry wave for a few hours. they were totally cool with it and helped me ride it out until i calmed down a few hours later

those are some good friends. send them some wine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah it’s brother, the accompanying software is just bad then, rather than actively hostile

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
brother makes good sewing machines so I assume they have gears and complex motions figured out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i found a brother hl2270 (not even wifi, just a usb, hell yes) for $11 or something at the thrift. Still had like 70% of the original toner in it.

i love it, though i was shocked at how much power laser printers draw

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i found a brother hl2270 (not even wifi, just a usb, hell yes) for $11 or something at the thrift. Still had like 70% of the original toner in it.

i love it, though i was shocked at how much power laser printers draw

lol yeah my lights dim when it kicks on

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
which olympic sports have your fave comlpetely psychopathing screaming? big fan of fencing, the gold match was wild

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

brother makes good sewing machines so I assume they have gears and complex motions figured out

both my dad and my mom can easily replace the ink cartridge in the grayscale laser jet i bought them, and it’s never had a software issue more elaborate than “reconnect to wifi”, so im very satisfied. i bought one for my old office as well, and it also held like a champ, though there was a bit more software bullshit with that one, due to our enterprise crapware.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

which olympic sports have your fave comlpetely psychopathing screaming? big fan of fencing, the gold match was wild

curling

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

no meme, it’s me the serious biathlon and curling viewer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lol yeah my lights dim when it kicks on

what the actual gently caress

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no meme, it’s me the serious biathlon and curling viewer

curling is good though

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
does curling really have that much screaming tho? shouting instructions sure, but insane psycho mode yowls?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

one year I was watching someone streaked a curling match

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what the actual gently caress

well tbf it's f32s you're talking to. he's also gonna be running like 20 kilowatts of space heaters 24/7

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
dev ops is a good idea in theory but it really isn't fair to have one person be on call all the time and also responsible for development. ops should be a mostly chill job with occasional firefighting, not a hard job with additional overtime hard poo poo

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The first I heard about this request, before I replied "please make a ticket", was an email thread they forwarded to me that showed the initial request was made May 7. So if you can't even route a request to me in the month and a half since you received it, it's not on me to rush to do it once you finally file it correctly.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I wasted enough time on this I no longer care.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI1aCJEp4bI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Video Nasty posted:

I wasted enough time on this I no longer care.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI1aCJEp4bI

splendid