Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Xun posted:

Waiiiit a minute I just finished rereading Pariah recently Eisenhorn has Alpharius working with him? Like the primarch dude? The Emperors Children marine recognized him sir it’s maaayybbee legit. What the gently caress?!. (Spoilers just in case)

I've only read the original trilogy and thought "I'll look at it, how big of a spoiler can it really be" and lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Syncopated posted:

I've only read the original trilogy and thought "I'll look at it, how big of a spoiler can it really be" and lmao.

I've yet to read a single 40k book and I agree.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Given the context of the spoiler, how would you know if they were fibbing? I mean their gimmick has reached meme status at this point.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
As long as we're doing PYF 1d4chan fiction: Gav and Bob. :cry:

E: MUST. RESIST. URGE. TO READ SPOILER. SO CLOSE. TO FINISHING PARIAH...

EE: I'm the poor punctuation.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 8, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I read Pariah and I don't remember any of that but I was thoroughly underwhelmed and didn't enjoy the book so idk.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Given the context of the spoiler, how would you know if they were fibbing? I mean their gimmick has reached meme status at this point.

Yeah I didn’t know that alpha marines all refer to themselves like alpharius, but the emperors children marine was definitely like “you?! Impossible!” But I guess it could be shock that the dude he was fighting was a disguised marine? Idk though I guess I’m dumb.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Really, it's virtually impossible to draw any definite conclusions from that scene (as intended, I'm sure).

quote:

Teke closed for the kill.
But he paused. He had seen something. Something had stopped him in his tracks.
I realised he had glimpsed Deathrow's face behind the ruptured visor.
'How–?' he began.
The distraction was momentary, but the Smiling One had dropped his guard.
Teke might just be surprised he is facing another Space Marine when he thought he was merely fighting some warblind gang boss, or he might recognise the Legion in question (Deathrow's face is later described as "handsome and noble", for what that's worth). I'm not sure how he'd be able to tell he was facing the Primarch himself considering that's notoriously impossible for outsiders to tell when it comes to the Alpha Legion. But who knows!

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Xun posted:

Yeah I didn’t know that alpha marines all refer to themselves like alpharius, but the emperors children marine was definitely like “you?! Impossible!” But I guess it could be shock that the dude he was fighting was a disguised marine? Idk though I guess I’m dumb.

More pariah spoilers

The rejected sailor moon villain level of camp that EC displayed with all his flower petal warp sorcery was amazing, he also may have bolted since he just had to 1v5 a bunch of word bearers and figured the Alpha Legionnaire wasn't alone. Whatever plan he had he was so far off script he pretty much bolted upon running into yet another unexpected traitor legion active on the planet.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Going to have to finish it tonight so I can catch up on this loving thread.

:ohdear:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I finished The Magos today. I enjoyed having the collection of short stories.

For The Strange Death of Titus Endor was the entire story just the dying delusions of Titus suffering from the brainworms?

And for the end of The Magos is... is Eisenhorn a daemonhost now? Is that why Cherubael is terrified into obedience during the timeskip? I don't remember anything from Pariah even hinting at what happened in The Magos.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Randalor posted:

I finished The Magos today. I enjoyed having the collection of short stories.

For The Strange Death of Titus Endor was the entire story just the dying delusions of Titus suffering from the brainworms?

And for the end of The Magos is... is Eisenhorn a daemonhost now? Is that why Cherubael is terrified into obedience during the timeskip? I don't remember anything from Pariah even hinting at what happened in The Magos.

Magos spoilers

it certainly puts a new spin on ravenors attitude in pariah that’s for sure. I don’t think eisenhorn is a daemonhost though I think he’s been made into some sort of warp conduit and if his willpower fails he will become a doorway for a greater plague demon just like that other guy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know I'm real late to this, but I just watched Ultramarines tonight. I hated it. I didn't hate it because it was boring, or because the characters were one-dimensional, or because the action was dull and lifeless, or because the story was the absolute thinnest thing they could come up with to have things continue to happen, or because the Chaos Space Marines had the individuality, personality and battle tactics of Tyranids, or because they got the background music by hiring Jimmy's Discount Latin Chanters for a half hour.

I hated it because at some point very early on in the production somebody said, "hey, I just realized that if we make literally every character an armored Space Marine, we'll only have to make one animation rig for the whole movie!" And everybody else was like, that's a loving great idea, dude.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know I'm real late to this, but I just watched Ultramarines tonight. I hated it. I didn't hate it because it was boring, or because the characters were one-dimensional, or because the action was dull and lifeless, or because the story was the absolute thinnest thing they could come up with to have things continue to happen, or because the Chaos Space Marines had the individuality, personality and battle tactics of Tyranids, or because they got the background music by hiring Jimmy's Discount Latin Chanters for a half hour.

I hated it because at some point very early on in the production somebody said, "hey, I just realized that if we make literally every character an armored Space Marine, we'll only have to make one animation rig for the whole movie!" And everybody else was like, that's a loving great idea, dude.

Well, good work Guy, you've killed the Black Library thread. Also: it sounds like Ultramarines was as bad as I heard it was.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ultramarines movie excels in exactly two areas: its soundtrack, and its voice acting. Then again you can't really go wrong with Sean Pertwee, Terrence Stamp and John Hurt. Even when they're phoning it in those guys sound great.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Based on the praise it was getting in this thread I read Baneblade and liked it a lot. However I now have this urge to spend entirely too much money on an injection molded plastic toy I have to assemble and paint myself.

Any other books with bits from an Ork perspective like Baneblade did?

Guyver fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 8, 2018

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Guyver posted:

I know Guy Haley did one short story or something from an ork perspective. Sadly the name eludes me right now but the overall consensus that I recall from this thread was that it wasn't all that great.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Guyver posted:

Based on the praise it was getting in this thread I read Baneblade and liked it a lot. However I now have this urge to spend entirely too much money on an injection molded plastic toy I have to assemble and paint myself.

Cooked Auto posted:

I know Guy Haley did one short story or something from an ork perspective. Sadly the name eludes me right now but the overall consensus that I recall from this thread was that it wasn't all that great.

The short story you're talking about might be Engine of Mork? I want to say there was another one about a Kommando that ended with him stepping on a mine maybe? but I can't remember what it was called.

The problem (at least for me) is that reading phonetic liverpudlian patois for more than a paragraph or two at a time rapidly loses its charm and I can't imagine writing it is that much more rewarding.

If you haven't already and you're looking for Ork-voiced fluff I'd check out Deff Skwadron or 'Ere We Go or Waaargh the Orks! or maybe Freebooters but none of them really have long-form prose because, like I said, I think it gets old quickly.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 8, 2018

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Maybe perspective isn't the right word. Focused? Have the orks as actual characters and not random green monsters.

Maybe there's a lot like that out there but I'm pretty new to reading 40k.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Guyver posted:

Baneblade was what finally tipped me over the edge into starting a Guard army.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Quick lore question about which Google has not helped me: are there any known instances of Iron Hands falling to Chaos?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

Quick lore question about which Google has not helped me: are there any known instances of Iron Hands falling to Chaos?

There's that time Ferrus Manus's head fell off its neck to Chaos.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

There is a small section in the Horus Heresy Massacre book regarding possible IH squads going renegade.

Initially sent reeling and psychologically devestated, the Iron Hands Legion's survivors fractured, and the full story of what happened to the scions remains clouded to this day. It is known, however, that some Clans reorganised a council of Iron-Fathers on Medusa to take charge of the ravaged Legion, and speeded the recruitment and creation of new Space Marines from the extensive stores of gene-seed kept there with the goal of rebuilding the Legion. Alongside this, it is widely believed that i the aftermath, some Iron Hands units and in some cases, entire Clans shunned the Medusan Council's assumed authority and went their own way, consumed by their own hatred and need for revenge. These fractured forces fought their own war and it is widely believed that some delved into the use of dark and forbidden forces from humanity's ancient past to do so, although this has been strenuously denied since by the Iron Hands Clan Council.

What cannot be contested, however, is that other lone Iron Hands and small scattered groups cast off their Legion's livery entirely and either fought on alone or went renegade-Iron Hands no more.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

AndyElusive posted:

I think we're done here, folks.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

AndyElusive posted:

:vince:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 8, 2018

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Abyss posted:

There is a small section in the Horus Heresy Massacre book regarding possible IH squads going renegade.

Initially sent reeling and psychologically devestated, the Iron Hands Legion's survivors fractured, and the full story of what happened to the scions remains clouded to this day. It is known, however, that some Clans reorganised a council of Iron-Fathers on Medusa to take charge of the ravaged Legion, and speeded the recruitment and creation of new Space Marines from the extensive stores of gene-seed kept there with the goal of rebuilding the Legion. Alongside this, it is widely believed that i the aftermath, some Iron Hands units and in some cases, entire Clans shunned the Medusan Council's assumed authority and went their own way, consumed by their own hatred and need for revenge. These fractured forces fought their own war and it is widely believed that some delved into the use of dark and forbidden forces from humanity's ancient past to do so, although this has been strenuously denied since by the Iron Hands Clan Council.

What cannot be contested, however, is that other lone Iron Hands and small scattered groups cast off their Legion's livery entirely and either fought on alone or went renegade-Iron Hands no more.

It's ambiguous as to whether it's full-on Chaos, though. They might just be disillusioned as poo poo in the wake of their Primarch dying, and not 100% on board with the appointed Iron-Fathers. Some might have gone Blackshield as in loyal to the Imperium but not to the Iron Hands, some might have hosed off to the galactic fringe to set up their own independent empires, some might have decided that Chaos was the winning strategy and embraced it enthusiastically or with a "guess this is the way things are now" attitude.

Unlike 40k where lines are pretty stark, there's room in the 30k universe for loyalists and traitors from every Legion. The traitors from Loyalist legions are a little underrepresented in the story IMHO, but you've got stuff like the White Scars contingent and the Dark Angels.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pyrolocutus posted:

the Dark Angels.

Wait, I thought you were talking about traitors in loyalist legions though?

:confused:

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

It's ambiguous as to whether it's full-on Chaos, though. They might just be disillusioned as poo poo in the wake of their Primarch dying, and not 100% on board with the appointed Iron-Fathers. Some might have gone Blackshield as in loyal to the Imperium but not to the Iron Hands, some might have hosed off to the galactic fringe to set up their own independent empires, some might have decided that Chaos was the winning strategy and embraced it enthusiastically or with a "guess this is the way things are now" attitude.

Unlike 40k where lines are pretty stark, there's room in the 30k universe for loyalists and traitors from every Legion. The traitors from Loyalist legions are a little underrepresented in the story IMHO, but you've got stuff like the White Scars contingent and the Dark Angels.

There's a recurring ship in a few short stories that's full of Iron Hands who have frozen their dead marines and are bringing them back to life, like Loyalist Rubricae, to fight for them. They end up murdering a whole bunch of loyalist Iron Hands who don't agree with what they're doing. It's unclear whether this lot will have an arc or if they were just flavour marines for some decent stories.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

a lovely king posted:

There's a recurring ship in a few short stories that's full of Iron Hands who have frozen their dead marines and are bringing them back to life, like Loyalist Rubricae, to fight for them. They end up murdering a whole bunch of loyalist Iron Hands who don't agree with what they're doing. It's unclear whether this lot will have an arc or if they were just flavour marines for some decent stories.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. There are two stories - Keys of Hel and Riven, I think, that show what they did.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
The Talon of Horus is awesome. I never much liked chaos but thank GW there aren’t good modern generic chaos marine minis or I’d have a new project.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

a lovely king posted:

These are the same guys that make the crazy weird shambling monster/robot out of ferrus manus corpse or atleast one of his arms right?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

a lovely king posted:

Aren't there also rumours of Ferrus Manus coming back in 40k (or he already is, and he's leading the Legion of the Damned or some weird thing)?

Thematically, it'd make sense if those fuckers forced him back to life in a form that was 100% mechanical--you know, that thing he despised and warned his sons against a million times. ("Legion of the Damned" also works with "Keys of Hel.")

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Zasze posted:

These are the same guys that make the crazy weird shambling monster/robot out of ferrus manus corpse or atleast one of his arms right?

I don't think they were. From what I remember that was created by a council of Iron Fathers, whereas the ship full of zombie robot Iron Hands is it's own deal? I think? It's been a while since I read them but I don't recall them showing up outside of their own stories.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Wait, I thought you were talking about traitors in loyalist legions though?

:confused:

:hehe:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

DirtyRobot posted:

Aren't there also rumours of Ferrus Manus coming back in 40k (or he already is, and he's leading the Legion of the Damned or some weird thing)?

Thematically, it'd make sense if those fuckers forced him back to life in a form that was 100% mechanical--you know, that thing he despised and warned his sons against a million times. ("Legion of the Damned" also works with "Keys of Hel.")

A Primarch-Dreadnaught would be pretty sick.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DirtyRobot posted:

Well, the whole gorgon/medusa thing that is associated with the Iron Hands would lead one to believe that their primarch's severed head would be of some sort of importance later on... assuming they were able to recover it from the traitors in the first place.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

If it wasn't for no-effort, I wouldn't have no effort at all.

E: Wait, poo poo...

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Fearless posted:

Well, the whole gorgon/medusa thing that is associated with the Iron Hands would lead one to believe that their primarch's severed head would be of some sort of importance later on... assuming they were able to recover it from the traitors in the first place.

Doesn't fabulous Bill have it?

Fake edit: auto correct too good. I'm keeping that

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Immanentized posted:

I think so? I also seem to remember a line in the second of the 30k campaign books that mentioned that the Iron Hands were able to recover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Immanentized posted:

What did autocorrect do?