Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I don't get the offer they gave Turtle if it isn't a raise. They offer him 30k when he already makes...30k? Why would you take that. Don't take that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

"I can't quit" :lol:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

In 2003 when I started at my current IT gig, still in college, they offered me $33.6k starting with zero experience, zero certs, nothing. I'm in the midwest.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sefal posted:

I have a performance review coming up in june. Would that be a good moment?
The last performance review I had was very positive I'm expecting this to be the same/better.

Sure, I think that's a good time.

Good performance is great, but again, make a case for yourself if you have saved the company lots of money.

Edit*

My pay is going to go from 75 to 100 in September. (Or close too)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

First IT gig for me was in DC, helpdesk with zero experience or certs. 55k with government benefits, which was a major part of how I was able to justify it at the time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
File me under the basket of "thought that was a 31k raise, not 31k salary total". Especially for California, my god.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Turtlicious posted:

ok Strawpoll, how many thinks that 31k is a good offer?

http://strawpoll.me/7227707

This is a complicated question. 31k is a poo poo offer for what they need.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt you're even remotely qualified to deliver in any sort of professional capacity.(My opinion is 90% based on your inability to consistently call AD "Active Directory")

Does that mean that you should take the 31k and half rear end your way into figuring poo poo out? Hell no. Your millennial gumption is going to get the best of you. Don't be stupid.

You need to GTFO, find some helpdesk computer janitor job at a real company, with a well structured organization, and start learning poo poo.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

File me under the basket of "thought that was a 31k raise, not 31k salary total". Especially for California, my god.

I'm so happy it wasn't just me who thought it was that

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Unfortunately, I highly doubt you're even remotely qualified to deliver in any sort of professional capacity.(My opinion is 90% based on your inability to consistently call AD "Active Directory")

Does that mean that you should take the 31k and half rear end your way into figuring poo poo out? Hell no. Your millennial gumption is going to get the best of you. Don't be stupid.

You need to GTFO, find some helpdesk computer janitor job at a real company, with a well structured organization, and start learning poo poo.

This is the best suggestion. There are some things you can struggle through (i have done quite a bit of that since I've been become a sysadmin) but something on the scale you're looking at with the amount of experience you have and for that joke a paygrade, it's time to get out.

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 30, 2016

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Turtlicious posted:

ok Strawpoll, how many thinks that 31k is a good offer?

http://strawpoll.me/7227707

60k is too low for the bay area. 75k.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lmbo, in SoCal? 31k is worth a tank of gas and half a room at a halfway house lol.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wait, wait, wait. THIRTY ONE THOUSAND WAS THE ENTIRE SALARY?!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I can't quit

Uh are you sure

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, wait, wait. THIRTY ONE THOUSAND WAS THE ENTIRE SALARY?!

In loving SoCal.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

East bay is in norcal :eng101:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I started embarassingly at 25k in 2005, with a 2 year degree and a small amount of experience. After 7 years at the lovely job where I learned a lot, and wound up doing everything from deployment, to server admin, to customizing SQL / Crystal reports from our ERP, to developing .net apps in house... I was making 32k. I started my current gig at 39, and make about 42 now. I do everything from helpdesk to deployment and management automation for the local School System. This is a poor area in the Rust Belt, and my 3 bedroom decent condition house in a nice neighborhood was only 79k. I'm probably still seriously underpaid, but there isn't a big market in my town. Conversely, my friend works my old job now, and they started him at 35k, with a 2 year degree.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Can we please get the name of this poo poo awful company? Maybe reddit was right to absolutely thrash it

Nerdrock posted:

I started embarassingly at 25k in 2005, with a 2 year degree and a small amount of experience. After 7 years at the lovely job where I learned a lot, and wound up doing everything from deployment, to server admin, to customizing SQL / Crystal reports from our ERP, to developing .net apps in house... I was making 32k. I started my current gig at 39, and make about 42 now. I do everything from helpdesk to deployment and management automation for the local School System. This is a poor area in the Rust Belt, and my 3 bedroom decent condition house in a nice neighborhood was only 79k. I'm probably still seriously underpaid, but there isn't a big market in my town. Conversely, my friend works my old job now, and they started him at 35k, with a 2 year degree.

You are way underpaid. Move to a bigger city and double your salary easily.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The more I read it, Turtle, the honest truth is you are not worth the money the company should be paying for that kind of job. You ARE worth more than you're making though, so please get out

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I can't believe this isn't a troll at this point.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ratbert90 posted:

In loving SoCal.

Hahaha, holy poo poo. Dude, go down to your local <FAST FOOD CHAIN> and look at what they pay for entry level workers with zero experience. Then weep. GTFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldmh9BPRIPM

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

SaltLick posted:

You are way underpaid. Move to a bigger city and double your salary easily.

Yeah, if the wife didn't desperately want to stay here where families are, etc, it's nice to know. A few retirements in my department are happening over the next couple years, and my sights are on Lead Tech for a small increase in the next year, and potentially running the department in a couple more years. (my Civil Service exam that's on record for me is actually for IT director). ..If the broke rear end district can afford to put me there. My boss is also the head of the Science and Tech education departments too. I'm not qualified to wear those hats.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Post of the Day. You aren't qualified to earn what you want to earn, but the entry-level helpdesk position with on the job learning and a structured plan to gain qualifications doesn't exist for you at your current (mental) employer. Your only option is to :frogout:.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

my 3 bedroom decent condition house in a nice neighborhood was only 79k

Lmao a 3 bedroom house is like $2m here

Turtle post more

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I had 2 years customer service / phone sales experience and an N+ and I walked in to a helpdesk job at 30k in the midwest.

If they're offering 30k total, ask them to post the job and see what kind of candidates they get.

Also 20% IRA matching kind of tips your hand there big guy, can't believe the story when poo poo like that is just made up. I can't believe there's a single company in the world offering a 20% match. That's just stupid.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Turtle post more

Look, Halo ain't going to play itself.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Also 20% IRA matching kind of tips your hand there big guy, can't believe the story when poo poo like that is just made up. I can't believe there's a single company in the world offering a 20% match. That's just stupid.

It's probably 20% match on the first 5% which is more in line with the company finances that seem to be going on here.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao a 3 bedroom house is like $2m here

Turtle post more

And this is why I will never get into the Vancouver job market; as nice as it would be to work there instead of Edmonton.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello

Turtlicious posted:

I can't quit

Understand that this post brought me out of full-on lurk mode just to say "what the gently caress?"

What the gently caress? If you mean you can't quit because you have no better prospects or nothing lined up then fair point if badly communicated.

If you think you can't quit because it's "wrong" or something then you're in a well.

If, however, you mean you literally can't quit because there's some Running Man-esque exploding collar poo poo going on then... Jesus.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pretty certain the "can't quit" was in response to asking about the noncompete?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I can't believe this isn't a troll at this point.

Yeah I pretty much stopped being able to believe this scenario at "unironically bought white tuxedo gloves to wear to interviews".

Although I also doubted for a long time that DAF could be as completely loving unhinged as his posts seemed, and welp

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Garrand posted:

Pretty certain the "can't quit" was in response to asking about the noncompete?

Yes he's saying if he does the 2 year agreement, he will not be able to quit in those 2 years. He can still get fired though, because Turtlicious doesn't understand that term agreements protect both employer AND employee.

If you do anything term length be sure to include basic agreement protections such as mediation for both parties to agree on terminating the contract, or at the very least a severance package if they fire you before the end of the term.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Signing a contract doesn't turn you into a loving slave, jesus christ. You can quit a job anytime for any reason. You might not get a reference, or severance, etc, but you're allowed to loving quit. I know the USA is basically stuck in the 1850s but I refuse to believe you have labour laws that prevent you from quitting during a contract.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
you could just stop showing up until they fire you too probably

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Turtlicious posted:

East Bay San Fran.

Confirmed troll

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Got off the phone with a recruiter this morning and she eventually admitted having an extremely hard time filling this implementation engineer opening:

100% travel, all expenses reimbursed, locations are major cities ...

... with the expectation of regularly working "urgent after hour escalations" involving system deployments at 50k without bonuses/OT.

Plus all the free indoor skydiving you can handle :yayclod:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I signed up for my social security earnings report a while back to see what my career income growth was like. It went:
25k - Delivering pizzas in college (guessing with tips)
50k - First IT job, A+ cert in rural Alaska great benefits, start of pension
58.5k - All the same job
63 - New job in lower 48
72k - Current gig as sysadmin

Really need to get out of this current impending sharepoint "devops" lol shitshow but I'm having a hard time finding something with comparable pay that I want to do. I could probably leave and get a jr sysadmin or help desk job right away if I took a massive paycut.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Signing a contract doesn't turn you into a loving slave, jesus christ. You can quit a job anytime for any reason. You might not get a reference, or severance, etc, but you're allowed to loving quit. I know the USA is basically stuck in the 1850s but I refuse to believe you have labour laws that prevent you from quitting during a contract.

We do, and California in particular is pretty employee friendly. I'm not entirely certain non-compete agreements are even enforceable there.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

stubblyhead posted:

I'm not entirely certain non-compete agreements are even enforceable there.

Even if they are, do we really think that this (likely fictional) corporation is capable of/interested in getting its ducks in a row to pursue legal action against a help desk jockey making 30k?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Can't quit, they'll sue.

Can't kill myself, they'll make my next of kin work in my place.

In the end they get what they want. The rest is just...dust, in the wind.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
What the Christ happened here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

go3 posted:

What the Christ happened here