Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Five For Finn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

serious gaylord posted:

I want some more wickets ffs.

Thats better.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Checking front and back foot no balls lol.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
So with Jimmy looking likely hosed for the next test, England's attack will be spearheaded by Broad with Finn, Stokes and Ali backing up and I guess Wood coming back in? Maybe Plunkett?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Wood if he's fit. I guess Plunkett would be next, or Woakes for reasons that are completely beyond my comprehension.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I've got a suspicion they'd throw a curveball if Wood isn't fit, I heard Jack Brooks mentioned and I could see that happening

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Proof that they fuel the team by sacrificing Yorkshiremen upon an altar.

I'd like to see them pick someone younger, but I think they'd go experience with no stand-out talent.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
They were saying on The Verdict that Rushworth is the form player. Which he is, by some margin.
And actually, just looking at him and Brooks, I'm somehow astonished that Brooks is a good couple of years older than Rushworth.

I guess that's what a full head of hair will do for you...

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Rushworth has got a really good record. I've never noticed him before. I can't recall him being particularly notable in his previous seasons either but he must have been to have a record like that. He plays on the right pitch for it I suppose.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is he actually fm, or is he a county fm?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I suspect the fact that he's never bothered the selectors tells you the answer to that.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, WIllis pointed out that Chester-Le-Street is basically tailor-made for someone like Rushworth.
If you don't pick him, though, you're either going for a one of a few players who've never played for England before (Brooks, Shantry, Harris, Leach), someone who's played for England but isn't setting the world on fire at the moment (Plunkett, Onions, Gurney, Woakes) or a loose cannon who might play well, but might get flayed all over the place (Overton, perhaps). Or comedy non-English option Boyd Rankin, I suppose.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Voges has made a bajillion runs and captains a loving county why is he so inneffective?

Marsh poo poo, Clarke poo poo, Warner infuriating.

To top it all off I've been able to watch about 3 loving overs. Boooooo

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So will the people tomorrow.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Voges looks overwhelmed big time, didn't see his second innings dismissal but the one in the first was really poor. Clarke has been a disaster, and I think even his field placements and captaincy has been ordinary too. Unless there is some 100 run partnership between Nevill and the tail this one will be over before lunch

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
If I remember much about Starc, it's that he has this bizarre ability to bat well when he's bowling like poo poo.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Still picking Aus to win

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

MacDougall posted:

If I remember much about Starc, it's that he has this bizarre ability to bat well when he's bowling like poo poo.

He better hope so, I suspect one of him or HAZE is getting dropped for Cummins

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
This should be over by lunch. The only solace for me is that should cost the ECB a heap of money.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

2 bad teams

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Whoever is the batting coach for Australia should be looking for a new job. It's not like Australia have a small amount of time to build up a second innings. But nope, let's swing like morons and have footwork of a cripple.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Some of it is just a lack of ability which is exposed on any kind of pitches that offer sideways movement, not sure if coaching can help that. The mental lapses and dumb shots are ultra frustrating though, I am still shaking my head at the Marsh wicket from the first innings

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm shaking my head so much about our middle order that I am starting to have dizzy spells.

I wonder if the "rumours" are true that the team are divided over Haddin being dropped, thus why the team seems so desponded.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They should play NZ more.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Food for thought.

If Clarke retires he is going to probably go straight into a channel nine gig. Outrageously over the top accent aside I think he is a pretty solid commentator based on his gig last summer.

But I can already see the horror that is a decade of Warne and Clarke patting each other on the back during slow parts of the game.

Warne will call Clarke a genius and Clarke will say how much he learned under Warne....its going to be gross.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Do Ponting and Warne not like each other? Because I think Sky have wrangled it so they've only been together in the box once, and it seemed, well, a little frosty

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

You Am I posted:

I wonder if the "rumours" are true that the team are divided over Haddin being dropped, thus why the team seems so desponded.

This would be pretty pathetic if true, it's a professional sport, get on with it

Would be partly funny though - Watson gets dropped and they win by 400 runs, Haddin gets dropped and they pack up shop

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Burn Down Canberra posted:

If Clarke retires he is going to probably go straight into a channel nine gig. Outrageously over the top accent aside I think he is a pretty solid commentator based on his gig last summer.

God no Clarke was loving awful as a commentator and thank god for the mute button.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Compare that with Ponting - "Australia were just incredibly bad".

If Anderson is dead and England forget to bowl at the tail again, we could make a decent total. Although I think we need closer to a 300 run lead but there we are.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Do Ponting and Warne not like each other? Because I think Sky have wrangled it so they've only been together in the box once, and it seemed, well, a little frosty

Ponting was made captain instead of him, so I don't think he likes him much, and that's part of why he always says Taylor was the best captain he played under. Warne basically seems like the kind of guy that holds dumb grudges for a really long time.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Shane Warne is a loud, stupid, pissy baby. He is the Australian id.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Warne thinks he should have been made captain but he is a national disgrace at everything but bowling legspin so he wouldn't have been a great choice.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

You Am I posted:

God no Clarke was loving awful as a commentator and thank god for the mute button.

I'm not going to argue that his accent is a comical stereotype but I thought he was very astute and tried to talk tactics while the rest of the clowns were yucking it up.

I can handle an obnoxious accent

Edit

With Clarke retiring soonish where does he fit when it comes to great Australian cricketers. I compare him to a much derided cricketer in Jayawardene. A guy who has butchered sides in Australia but hasn't been the best outside of home conditions.

So 8000 runs makes him a very good cricketer but certainly the level below Ponting, chappell, Waugh, etc.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 31, 2015

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

lol, Australia's number six clean bowled by a straight length ball on leg stump.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Clarke's a dead captain walking and he knows it.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

So Watto is back for Mitch Marsh right ? And smarsh is in for Voges. That seems obvious. I don't think they will change the bowlers because they are bowling England out.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

So Watto is back for Mitch Marsh right ? And smarsh is in for Voges. That seems obvious. I don't think they will change the bowlers because they are bowling England out.

Will MMarsh possibly stay in because unlike Watto he can actually hold down an end and take wickets more than once every 3 tests?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Anderson being fit next test maybe won't matter because all of the batsmen have found ways to get out to really average bowling. Starc's wicket off a bit of rubbish comes to mind.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

With Clarke retiring soonish where does he fit when it comes to great Australian cricketers. I compare him to a much derided cricketer in Jayawardene. A guy who has butchered sides in Australia but hasn't been the best outside of home conditions.

So 8000 runs makes him a very good cricketer but certainly the level below Ponting, chappell, Waugh, etc.

He started his career with some great innings in India his first innings:

MJ Clarke c †Patel b Khan 151 341 248 18 4 60.88

I think he did his best in Australia but overseas he's no slouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think something about being in England makes you prod at balls outside off and knick them into the slips. Australia go there and by golly they start doing poo poo Cook impersonations.