Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

du -hast posted:

^^^^^ agreed

This is a lot more common than you'd think and also generally not a problem - by the time you take off and are going 100mph the door is held closed by the pressure flowing across it or even fully latched by it, so it's not like you're gonna fall out.

That said it is scary as gently caress the first couple times it happens.

When I was peer-pressured into skydiving, we took off and ascended a lot of the way with the door completely open. It was easily one of the scariest things I've ever experienced.

Granted, I've led a pretty boring life, so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

du -hast posted:

^^^^^ agreed

This is a lot more common than you'd think and also generally not a problem - by the time you take off and are going 100mph the door is held closed by the pressure flowing across it or even fully latched by it, so it's not like you're gonna fall out.

That said it is scary as gently caress the first couple times it happens.

It's a lot scarier when the window latch fails, and the window SLAMS up against the bottom of the wing ten feet above the ground at about Mach thirteen.

(The window is hinged at the top, and opens like a garage door.)

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
How much does one have to pay for a garage door that can break the sound barrier opening? I assume it's like what I remember the '60s Batman Bat Cave entrance to be like.

While searching for video of it, I found this strangely appropriate for this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QbuOYW_rkM

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Doors are just extra weight on aircraft, unless they're pressurised.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The door is quite useful for keeping out the rain and the heat in as it can get quite cold up there even with the heat on full blast.

Unless the door comes off completely your perfectly safe and should be as unconcerned as the pilot was.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Sagebrush posted:

The real story: a dorky 14 year old took an electronic clock apart and put it in another case and brought it in to school to show his teachers. This is in line with the sort of electronics ability a self-taught 14 year old has, despite all the megaminds and supergeniuses on The Something Awful Forums who totally could have done better than that when they were in high school, if they'd wanted to *huge bong rip*

The internet story: well obviously that clock looked exactly like a bomb because I know nothing at all about improvised explosives and get all my information from the TV show "24". Even though what he did was immediately determined by the police to be harmless, it was still his fault for doing a thing that looks suspicious if you're a moron, and he should have known better than to upset people dumber than himself. Also his dad was angry about the way his kid was treated so he's definitely one of those radicalized jihadist muslims Q.E.D. they were bad from the beginning and The Kid Was No Angel.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I guess the power is out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Flyby under canopy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1vMCm2JfhA&feature=youtu.be

edit : it's 50/50 if fake or not. no idea. probably fake though.

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 27, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cumslut1895 posted:

that is exactly what you'd want a fake bomb to look like

Yeah but authorities didn’t treat it like they really believed the bomb.

Like, they didn’t evacuate the school.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

Flyby under canopy

I would think there would be a lot of displaced air from a plane passing that close that would at least buffet a parachute.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lime Tonics posted:

Flyby under canopy

Holy loving poo poo.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's 100% fake.

There aren't any control surfaces on the wings, it's so clean it's pristine and the vortex would have wreaked him. Also no motion blur and it isn't warped by the fish lens.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also when you're flying you can spot a guy under a parachute from miles away, and the pilot would absolutely have been making an emergency maneuver by that point but he's just continuing straight.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Also when you're flying you can spot a guy under a parachute from miles away, and the pilot would absolutely have been making an emergency maneuver by that point but he's just continuing straight.
:wrong:

https://fearoflanding.com/accidents/accident-reports/5050-blame-for-pilot-and-skydiver-in-mid-air-collision/

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

huh i would have thought they'd close whatever airspace the parachutists were using

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

huh i would have thought they'd close whatever airspace the parachutists were using

There are supposedly a bunch of regulations about telling air traffic controllers about parachute jumps well beforehand (that morning?), which turn into notifications.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/1022746

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

oohhboy posted:

It's 100% fake.

There aren't any control surfaces on the wings, it's so clean it's pristine and the vortex would have wreaked him. Also no motion blur and it isn't warped by the fish lens.

First off, it is most certainly fisheye warped at certain points in the video, and if it's faked, that CGI artist is also a huge airplane nerd. There are details visible on that airplane like the EVS camera on the underside of the nose, the shiny stainless of the APU exhaust surround, and numerous vents and drains on the underside are things that most CGI artists wouldn't bother with.

If it's fake, it's far and away the best loving fake I've ever seen.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You missed the whole "No control surfaces on the wings".

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You can tell it's fake cause the Daily Mail is in the comments asking to use it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Standard skydiving height is 12000 feet. Unless this plane is on path to landing it shouldnt be at 12000 feet or less. His chute is open so Im guessing hes way below 12000 feet. Also the guy wouldnt be skydiving on a glide path to an airport I would think.

Im no expert, but Im pretty sure its fake.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

did you even read this article or did you just go off half-cocked to be contrarian?

quote:

The pilot was an 87-year-old WWII veteran

The Cessna 170 was on short final coming in to land as the skydiver glided across the runway. They were 75 feet above the ground when the pilot saw the skydiver.

“A parachutist dropped down in front of me and was going to land in the center of the approach end of the runway.”

The pilot immediately climbed in a desperate attempt to avoid the man who had effectively dropped into his view. However, he wasn’t able to climb over the parachute and his right wing caught the parachute’s suspension lines.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The failure of the pilot and the parachutist to see and avoid each other, which resulted in the airplane’s wing colliding with the parachute’s suspension lines.
The point is that both the pilot and the skydiver were responsibile to “see and avoid” the other traffic in the circuit. The fact that neither of them had a clue that the other one was there means that they were both at fault for the resulting collision.

so the pilot was an old blind man and the skydiver descended on the plane from above just as the pilot was trying to land. And the pilot still noticed the skydiver and performed an evasive maneuver with seconds to spare, resulting in the parachutist hitting the wing instead of the propeller. Then the NTSB specifically said that the fault lay with both airmen for failing to keep their eyes open. This is absolutely nothing like the situation in the (fake) video above, where the pilots would be cruising along at the same altitude as the skydiver and should be constantly scanning for traffic in the area, even if they somehow ignored the many different sources of information telling them that there were parachutists in the area. I've spotted skydivers under parachutes from like ten miles out in a two-seat aircraft.

It's not impossible that the above situation could occur, but the fact that you had to find an article about an incident at an airfield instead of one at altitude like the video suggests that it's probably exceptionally unlikely.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Fake doesn't necessarily mean "CGI", it could be composited from different source videos.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

hailthefish posted:

Fake doesn't necessarily mean "CGI", it could be composited from different source videos.

Somebody call CaptainDisillusion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou7KSmfC3lA

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Huh, I woud have sworn the DudePerfect videos were fake.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I'm so disappointed right now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Proteus Jones posted:

Huh, I woud have sworn the DudePerfect videos were fake.

Nope just gonna have to hate them for their douchiness

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

did you even read this article or did you just go off half-cocked to be contrarian?

so the pilot was an old blind man and the skydiver descended on the plane from above just as the pilot was trying to land. And the pilot still noticed the skydiver and performed an evasive maneuver with seconds to spare, resulting in the parachutist hitting the wing instead of the propeller. Then the NTSB specifically said that the fault lay with both airmen for failing to keep their eyes open. This is absolutely nothing like the situation in the (fake) video above, where the pilots would be cruising along at the same altitude as the skydiver and should be constantly scanning for traffic in the area, even if they somehow ignored the many different sources of information telling them that there were parachutists in the area. I've spotted skydivers under parachutes from like ten miles out in a two-seat aircraft.

It's not impossible that the above situation could occur, but the fact that you had to find an article about an incident at an airfield instead of one at altitude like the video suggests that it's probably exceptionally unlikely.

Dude, I read it yesterday and was thinking “you know, they don’t always see each other…”

That’s it. Did the :wrong: emote run over your dog or something?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

azurite posted:

When I was peer-pressured into skydiving, we took off and ascended a lot of the way with the door completely open. It was easily one of the scariest things I've ever experienced.

For that sport, the sky's the limit on terrifying,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p6hqMnsLFY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDIiMJn9xuo

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Platystemon posted:

Dude, I read it yesterday and was thinking “you know, they don’t always see each other…”

That’s it. Did the :wrong: emote run over your dog or something?

It's really loving obnoxious to use it when someone isn't actually wrong.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

oh good god

I had a near miss when I was on a solo training flight. I was in a single engine turboprop (T-34c) flying a canned approach back to the airfield. A T37b flashes from my right to left within about 30 feet of altitude and maybe passing 50-100 feet ahead of me. It was so fast I barely knew what was happening til it was over, and then my heart exploded in something between fear and anger at someone clearly in the wrong place. I told my instructor about it and he told me "we can make this a deal, but I strongly recommend you let it go", so I did.

I never saw anyone parachuting while flying. I'd imagine it has to be easier to see than another plane on a constant bearing decreasing distance trajectory, but I imagine it'd depend on a bunch of factors. What color is the parachute? Where's the sun? How far is the visibility? What's your cockpit visibility like?

I dunno what kind of plane that is in the fake(?) video. It looks like a small passenger jet that can probably zip around 400-600mph, which I have to believe would basically be so fast it'd be effectively invisible to a skydiver. If it's heading right at you, by the time you can make it out it's already past you and gone. The relative speed between the plane I nearly collided with and me had to be about 450-500 knots (me: 210, them probably 250+). It's so fast you basically have to rely on "big sky, small planes" to keep your nerve that you don't accidentally hit someone (that and the tower, obviously).

back to that link: I cannot believe neither of them died. That's insane.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It's really loving obnoxious to use it when someone isn't actually wrong.

:wrong:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is nothing wrong with hand cranking an aircraft but it is hard work. I haven't done it myself but I watched some guys do this for 5 minutes alternating spinning the prop. There wasn't any need to but the instructors were doing it for the practise. Observing was a good idea as you never know if you ever need to hand start.

The guy in the video wasn't keeping up with maintenance is that is the primary cause, not that he hand cranked.

As for aircraft incidences, for every one reported it is said there are 10+ that aren't. Hell, I went through 3 with 2 that were near collisions but didn't report any of them with one involving 3 different parties. We all knew what the deal was.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Pander posted:

"we can make this a deal, but I strongly recommend you let it go"

What is the story behind this?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TTerrible posted:

Probably a combination of:

1 - The reporter will be found to be partly culpable as well
2 - Reams and reams of paperwork
3 - After everyone involved cleans out their pants, they will never ever forget to do thorough visual checks of their surroundings again. So lesson learned.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

TTerrible posted:

I assumed that if we brought it up the chain and made a stink about someone being unsafe, we could probably get the student and instructor in the t37b in some hot water. The instructor pool was mostly junior officers, so they would prefer handling it at their level than that, though. I never heard about the end result, but hopefully whoever was in the t37b learned from it and never hosed up the same way again.

My only other potentially unsafe moment in the cockpit involved comms system failure. During our preflight checklists I noticed my helmet comms weren't working right, so we had ground folks bring me a new helmet to see if that'd fix the problem. It did, for a while. Near the end of our flight, which was mostly practicing stalls or whatever, we were on approach back to the airfield and I realized I hadn't heard my instructor for a while.

T34c cockpits are two-seaters with the student in front and the instructor in the rear. Between the air/engine noises, helmet, and cockpit geometry there is a 0% chance of hearing the other person if your comm system doesn't work. So I had to use the rear-view mirror to see him gesture and then puzzle out what he wanted to do. I found out he could still hear me over the intercom, so we determined that my mic still transmitted, I just couldn't receive. And we found out that way that his mic didn't transmit at all, but he could still receive audio.

So I could speak but couldn't hear, and he could hear but couldn't speak. Normally there is a lost comms code you enter into transponders to let the tower alert other aircraft to your situation, clear out traffic in the pattern, and get you on the ground ASAP. We decided "gently caress it, we're going for it" because between us we had one function set of comms.

So every time the tower sent us a radio command, he'd mime what it was asking us to do (pointing down to ask permission to land, tomahawk chopping to indicate we acknowledge a request to extend downfield, etc) and I'd make the appropriate radio call effectively in the blind. The nice thing about canned approaches is that most of the radio calls are obligatory and rote, so the only real surprises would be your order in the pattern and any curveballs like extending downfield to fix timing (and when to make the subsequent turn back into the pattern).

Everything went our way, and I had a good enough rapport with the instructor that I didn't botch a single interpretation (which would have been hella awkward and necessitated a swift transponder entry to indicate comm difficulty). Not surprising it was probably the highest rated flight I had with that instructor, who was generally chill but very hesitant to ever give out praise.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Probably a combination of:

1 - The reporter will be found to be partly culpable as well
2 - Reams and reams of paperwork
3 - After everyone involved cleans out their pants, they will never ever forget to do thorough visual checks of their surroundings again. So lesson learned.

I doubt I'd have been culpable. I was identified as a student on a solo flight, so the tower is supposed to babysit me. I was flying a canned approach that I'd done a lot, and immediately after the near-miss I verified my altitude was correct. That's pretty protected airspace, since it's a high traffic return corridor for students at the air station, so it had to be a combination of the t37b being where it shouldn't be and the tower not correcting them before a near-miss.

Visual identification between two aircraft in flight at the same altitude is incredibly hard in general if you're not formation flying. Small profile, big sky, fast speeds. Bad combo. Even in the pattern when I KNOW there's another plane and even know where to look it can be hard to see other planes, even if they're painted orange and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Pander posted:

T34c cockpits are two-seaters with the student in front and the instructor in the rear. Between the air/engine noises, helmet, and cockpit geometry there is a 0% chance of hearing the other person if your comm system doesn't work. So I had to use the rear-view mirror to see him gesture and then puzzle out what he wanted to do. I found out he could still hear me over the intercom, so we determined that my mic still transmitted, I just couldn't receive. And we found out that way that his mic didn't transmit at all, but he could still receive audio.

So I could speak but couldn't hear, and he could hear but couldn't speak. Normally there is a lost comms code you enter into transponders to let the tower alert other aircraft to your situation, clear out traffic in the pattern, and get you on the ground ASAP. We decided "gently caress it, we're going for it" because between us we had one function set of comms.

So every time the tower sent us a radio command, he'd mime what it was asking us to do (pointing down to ask permission to land, tomahawk chopping to indicate we acknowledge a request to extend downfield, etc) and I'd make the appropriate radio call effectively in the blind.

this is really cool