Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Decided to give Super Mario Bros. a whirl, immediately uninstalled that POS when it just begins with some fat plumber dude. What's his motivation? What does he care about? gently caress this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Decided to give Super Mario Bros. a whirl, immediately uninstalled that POS when it just begins with some fat plumber dude. What's his motivation? What does he care about? gently caress this poo poo.

ITT. People being mad about other people not liking the games they liked. That being said I very much enjoyed LIS. But it did have some awful dialogue at times (many times).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's a talking story game I had minimal interest in from the get go that starts like poo poo and then you trudge at a lighthouse. If you aren't getting a dollar for every minute I play why are you angry about this?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm not angry. I'm making fun of you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Are you telling me the game has gameplay beyond walking around talking to people?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How do you make fun of someone for not playing a free game lmao

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Are you telling me the game has gameplay beyond walking around talking to people?
Yeah you can rewind time and stuff. I still lost interest in the game somewhere into the second episode though.

Edit: The bedrock rule of the internet is that no one is ever actually mad on the internet.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 11, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnIODgqUHxw

You just saw the best part of LiS, you're welcome

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

JBP posted:

By lolling at how dumb they are

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It isn't dumb to play a different game that you actually want to play though because of personal agency?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I tried Life Is Strange, saw the opening scene, then continued with the game and i'm now mid way through ep 1

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Life is strange is not fer me. Blech.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I redeemed LIS then didn't install it because I don't care about it at all.

Well, bye.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, bye.

At least you decided that in advance rather than installing it knowing you wouldn't like it and playing it anyway for literally 3 seconds without seeing any of the setting, story or mechanics before having a meltdown

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

JBP posted:

It isn't dumb to play a different game that you actually want to play though because of personal agency?

You seem to confuse easily..

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just so we're all on the same page, the point at which JBP claims to have quit is less than 1 minute after clicking New Game, less than 30 seconds after completing the loading screen and disclaimer, and before the end of the intro cutscene when the game has not yet become interactive.

I mean, it's fine to not play something if you're sure you aren't going to like it, but if you resolve to give it a chance anyway, do actually give it a real chance.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 11, 2017

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I don't have to sink hours into "narrative game with time powers as framing device for high school girl drama and dialogue" to know it isn't for me. YMMV.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

what the gently caress is this poo poo *closes book angrily*

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
To be honest, I make fast decisions about PS+ games too. I can always come back to them later if I change my mind.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

homeless snail posted:

It's more like reading the back of the book cover for Twilight and knowing that maybe this just isn't going to be my jam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

*switches off​ Star Trek 2 angrily*

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

bloodysabbath posted:

It's more like reading the back of the book cover for Twilight and knowing that maybe this just isn't going to be my jam.
No one's making fun of you doing the reasonable thing, its the other guy that is funny

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Our visual novel protagonist wakes up in a thunderstorm and is mystified.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Life Is Strange looks pretty dumb, but i'll still play it eventually, just to lol at the cringe factor and get an easy plat

However, the real star of this month's games is KF2 for sure, which is a ton of fun

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

veni veni veni posted:

I think what you are referring to is more of a stylistic choice and wouldn't change what much in HDR.

I don't have an HDR TV but it does make colors look really nice. Played some HZD in HDR and it really popped more. It's pretty subtle unless you are looking at a side by side though.

To me HDR and by extension wide color gamut is the true next gen TV technology, not 4K. I have a shiny new LG 4K with Dolby Vision HDR and that is what has blown me away more than anything. With a proper HDR TV that can actually get bright it's not subtle at all. It's pretty amazing.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 11, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's the relationship between deep color and HDR anyway? Is deep color just a lesser version of the same concept?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, bye.

Pfff, I don't even claim PS Plus games I don't care about. :smuggo:

Missing out on Day of the Tentacle was a mistake though and I regret it/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mycot posted:

Pfff, I don't even claim PS Plus games I don't care about. :smuggo:

Missing out on Day of the Tentacle was a mistake though and I regret it/

If you haven't played DoTT, it's currently on sale on GoG.com for 67% off.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

JBP posted:

Because the reason, which you went out of your way to post, was very dumb

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snak posted:

I mean, most games have a completely identical story on a replay. Maybe a bit of dialogue is changed.

I'm actually not defending Until Dawn, because I found it really underwhelming and not particularly engaging. But what it does do, it does better than any other game that's attempted it.

It's not so much "wasted potential", as it is extremely resource expensive to provide truly branching paths. You'd basically have to make the content of a 20 hour game for a 5 hour game with significant story divergence, as well as have really good writers to map out a huge interconnected map of story outcomes.

It's a huge amount of work, and I really hope it does get done some day, but I'm not surprised at all that nothing has come close to actually doing that.

i dont think we will ever see such a thing, alpha protocol wasnt really a branching story at all, just some stuff could change and some stuff wouldnt show up at all depending on your choices and sega was loving pissed that whatever percentage of the game would only be seen by a very small percentage of the people who bought the game

i guess if you got some really dedicated dev who didnt have a big publisher maybe. its too bad the branching stuff in alpha protocol was insanely cool

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's the relationship between deep color and HDR anyway? Is deep color just a lesser version of the same concept?

WCC (10 bit) or deep color is basically half the equation of HDR. The other is higher contrast ratios and the TV being able to attain a high level of local brightness - basically it has to have good local dimming. I forget what the numbers are, but to be considered HDR the TV has to be able to hit a certain peak brightness and darkness at the same time. The backlight on an HDR tv if on full white and brightness makes other "old" tvs look dim as hell by comparison.

The combination of the two is basically HDR in a nutshell.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 11, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

WCC or deep color is basically half the equation of HDR. The other is higher contrast ratios and the TV being able to attain a high level of local brightness - basically it has to have good local dimming. The combination of the two is basically HDR in a nutshell.
Do you mean closing the LCD gates darker than usual or manipulating the LED backlight in a local way somehow?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Digirat posted:

Because the reason, which you went out of your way to post, was very dumb

Not really, the game started poorly as I expected after not paying for it and went meh.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Didn't the Witcher 2 have a middle chapter that could be one of two completely different paths based on your choices, and you wouldn't see anything from the other path at all

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do you mean closing the LCD gates darker than usual or manipulating the LED backlight in a local way somehow?

A little of both. Many HDR tvs have backlight LED arrays that can independently turn on and off. So if you're looking at something like a candle in a dark room, the LEDs behind the flames will be super bright but the ones in the rest of the room will be dimmer or off.

OLEDs are more effective at doing this since each pixel is its own backlight, so it's blacks get blacker but it's not as bright. If it's LED though you can have anywhere from 12 "zones" to in the 70s for better ones. Their blacks aren't as black but the brights can be way, way brighter than OLED.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 11, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Samurai Sanders posted:

Deep color is more than 8 bits per video channel (RGB, YUV, whatever); for video this is usually 10 or 12 but 16 isn't unheard of (the display itself is probably doing 10 since they can fit 3 channels plus a couple of control bits into the DWORD (32 bits) you already needed for 8-bit color), for photo occasionally you even see 32 and floating-point.

The net effect is less banding and less loss of definition at the ends of the brightness scales.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nah, they're different things that have a lot of overlap. Deep color just means more than 24bpp of color, its the next step beyond "true color" that everyone lost their poo poo about in the Windows 95 days, recent TVs can do 10 or 12 bits per channel so can represent a wider range of colors. HDR is less about color representation and more about luminosity and adjusting gamma curves to effect the contrast in the scene. HDR is benefited by having more color representation and I think almost every HDR TV now is deep color, but there are 8 bit color TVs that can still act on HDR metadata, it just doesn't look as good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Didn't the Witcher 2 have a middle chapter that could be one of two completely different paths based on your choices, and you wouldn't see anything from the other path at all

Yeah, and it was really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

JBP posted:

Not really, the game started poorly as I expected after not paying for it and went meh.

Hmm i don't like visual novel story games, let me start this visual story game and if it's not up to my standards within literally 3 seconds i tell you what I will not be happy