Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

So the Pre-Launch digital brochure came out for the STI. The interesting thing in it is the comparison page, where they identify the Evo GSR, Golf R, A4 2.0T and 335i xDrive sedan as the STI's rivals. Interesting that, aside from the "default" competition of the Evo they are aiming at three kind of mid-level German sport sedans (no S4?,) and even with the old engine the new STI should set itself pretty far ahead of this competition.

That said, it seems like the WRX also compares pretty favorably to this group and that the STI could start to play further upmarket with some more power. The WRX's competitors are listed as the Focus ST, GTI, Mazdaspeed 3 and Civic Si.

It's just an interesting niche they're playing in right now and I think that's why they feel they have the time to recoup some costs before putting a new engine in the STI or coming out with the hatch.

That begs the question though. What about the STI makes it better to go up against Audi and BMW that the regular WRX doesn't accomplish? The interior is pretty much the same and the ride is likely to be worse. It's like subaru marketers just drew intersecting lines of horsepower and price and said "yup, that's our marketing segment."

I mean, it's pretty silly to posit that the STI has the A4 and 335i xDrive as competitors when the regular WRX has the Focus, Civic, 3 as competitors. You can't really have the same car straddle both markets relying on only engine output and price to differentiate.

You also cannot tell me that anyone considering a 335i as a vehicle is going to give the STI two looks with the wing it has on the back. It's all pure marketing fluff. The STI is a limited volume bonkers version of the regular WRX for people who have more money than sense, not a competitor to the fleet workhorses of two luxury brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

To be fair, all manufacturers draw that line and forget about the rest. Including Audi. Audi may respond and say "we may have lovely horsepower but at least you're comfortable farting in our seats" and subaru will retort with "yeah well your car is a heavy slow pile of poo poo."

They're two different cars and the 335xi is appealing to more and more of the "tuner" type because of it's power capabilities.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

bull3964 posted:

That begs the question though. What about the STI makes it better to go up against Audi and BMW that the regular WRX doesn't accomplish?

"Exclusivity," maybe?

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 29, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The point is, no one is going to be cross shopping an A4, 335xi and a WRX STI. If someone is looking at the first two, they are not going to be interested in the (comparatively utilitarian) Subaru. They are buying into that class of vehicle because they want things like free maintenance or a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty or dealerships that don't treat their customers like poo poo. They are also very likely be leasing a vehicle while most Subaru drivers are longer term owners.

The STI serves as a final statement to sway the potential mazdaspeed3 or Focus ST buyer that has a bit more disposable cash and wants something just a little more over the top. It's a top trump.

Subaru needs to decide if they are going to commit fully to moving these vehicles up market (which means they have to do a lot more work than just update the cars themselves) or if they just want to reign supreme in the hot econobox segment. No matter what they do though, they need to start upgrading the infotainment and general feature-set of the car to maintain their buyer niche. They need people with money who aren't embarrassed to be driving around in whatever outlandish form Subaru is peddling at the moment. Right now, that means they need to appeal to the technology culture. Doing something as simple as going with an all glass dash would be HUGE. When I get behind the wheel of a WRX, I want to be wowed by the gauge cluster, not reminded that it came out of a lower end sedate impreza. I also want to be able to do simple things that others have been able to do for years like actually READ the tire pressure around the car instead of just getting a warning light that one of the 4 may be low on air.

Also, ditch the VC. You are trying hard to keep it relevant by removing the front and rear LSDs and using creative braking for torque vectoring. At the end of the day though, you've tapped that technological well dry by this point. You've had better tech for years. It apparently wan't too expensive to deliver on the automatic transmission vehicles, so really it's really just a lack of engineering effort to put together a lower cost non-sti manual transmission that uses the VTD center diff.

Subaru just feels stagnant right now (in the performance segment) and it's frustrating that we aren't seeing more amazing things out of them when they are making money hand over fist (comparatively speaking.)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dropped my GC8 off at the shop for a timing belt job and got a ride to the bus stop in a 500WHP (just was finishing it's dyno run as I got there) methanol injected fully built 2012 STi. I've never felt such acceleration, didn't feel like it should be possible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just completed an interesting survey from Subaru on accessories. It's interesting due to what some of the questions at the end hinted at. One of them asked how much I would be willing to pay for a factory applied clear bra on the front end and in the door cups to prevent chipping and scratches. Another asked how much I would be willing to pay for a secure integrated charging spot in the center console. That surprised me because just a few questions earlier they asked me what accessories I would like to see on the car and I put in integrated Qi Wireless charging. I also told them I wanted a factory fit hidden hitch for the WRX for things like bike racks since most current hitches on the market require to you cut in to the rear underbody plastic to make them fit (and they are also not allowed by subaru and could be grounds for a warranty denial.)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You didn't list Recaros?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The tone of the survey was more port installed accessories rather than actual interior design. Seats are an integral part of the safety systems of a car and wouldn't really be an option, they would be part of the design from the getgo and be standard across the board.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
All I'm hearing is "SoA thinks I'm too fat for awesome European/Australian seats." :v:

traumatizedslug
Feb 24, 2007
Some of us are
I'm too fat for Recaros.
There I said it...

I haven't sat in a Recaro seat yet than I could stand for more than a few minutes.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

Subaru just feels stagnant right now (in the performance segment) and it's frustrating that we aren't seeing more amazing things out of them when they are making money hand over fist (comparatively speaking.)

That's why I drive a 2013 Focus ST instead of a 2013 WRX.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone know if 16*6.5 liberty rims will clear subaru 4 pot brakes? I'm trying to sell a set and I have a dude interested, but only if they clear "subaru branded 4 pot brakes", and I have no idea.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

Amandyke posted:

That's why I drive a 2013 Focus ST instead of a 2013 WRX.

I drove the Focus, WRX, MS3, and went with the WRX. I had the same pricing basically on all 3 and the financing wasn't an issue. I just felt like the WRX was more fun to drive and there was plenty of support and upgrades. I immediately replaced the stereo, but I really do that with any car that I can.

si
Apr 26, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Does anyone know if 16*6.5 liberty rims will clear subaru 4 pot brakes? I'm trying to sell a set and I have a dude interested, but only if they clear "subaru branded 4 pot brakes", and I have no idea.

If they are generally the same as WRX 16x6.5s, then they will not. The RS 16x7s will though.

Might help: http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12461

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Bought my 14' DGM WRX Hatch a bit over a week ago now, it's been a blast so far. Almost broken in now..

KleenexCMW
Dec 26, 2003
That's no pumpkin, that's a beetroot!
I rarely get my '11 WRX on the highway, but when I last did I had some very noticeable steering wheel vibration at about 75 mph. Under 75 mph there's no shake or anything. I'm due for a regular service visit and thought maybe have them check tire balance and alignment, any other things I might need to look out for?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Aflicted posted:

I drove the Focus, WRX, MS3, and went with the WRX. I had the same pricing basically on all 3 and the financing wasn't an issue. I just felt like the WRX was more fun to drive and there was plenty of support and upgrades. I immediately replaced the stereo, but I really do that with any car that I can.

Plus, for those of us who want AWD there really isn't any other choice in the segment.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I was about to pick up some Rotella T6 5w40 for the Saabarx and was surprised to see some folks use 15w40 - which do you guys recommend?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

il serpente cosmico posted:

Plus, for those of us who want AWD there really isn't any other choice in the segment.

Well there is the Ralliart Lancer.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
5w40. 15w40 rotella is not synthetic and the higher cold weight means more wear at startup.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Guy on local forum was just asking why he couldn't make his STI start with a 550cca battery and 10w40 Rotella. 0F does not make for a happy motor with 10w oil. 15w would be bad already at like 30F?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

blk posted:

I was about to pick up some Rotella T6 5w40 for the Saabarx and was surprised to see some folks use 15w40 - which do you guys recommend?

I was thinking about going from T6 to something 0W-40, but certainly not the other way around.

Neptr fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 31, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Motul 5w-40 erryday.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

si posted:

If they are generally the same as WRX 16x6.5s, then they will not. The RS 16x7s will though.

Might help: http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12461

hmm

I guess I'll see if he wants to test fit them on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

joe944 posted:

Bought my 14' DGM WRX Hatch a bit over a week ago now, it's been a blast so far. Almost broken in now..

Nice! Congrats. Just nearing 2,000 miles on my 2014 WRX hatch. Loving it as well. The break-in was definitely torture. I was actually looking for a DGM, but had trouble finding one and ended up with Black.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
So my dad just ordered a Factory Five 818 kit and is now looking for a donor 2002-2007 WRX. Hopefully we can find a wrecked car for cheap, just needs to have a running engine and most of its suspension parts. Any suggestions on what to look out for? I imagine wrecked WRXs might not have been under the best care when they were running...

si
Apr 26, 2004

mcgreenvegtables posted:

So my dad just ordered a Factory Five 818 kit and is now looking for a donor 2002-2007 WRX. Hopefully we can find a wrecked car for cheap, just needs to have a running engine and most of its suspension parts. Any suggestions on what to look out for? I imagine wrecked WRXs might not have been under the best care when they were running...

The 2002-2005 are the EJ205 engine, where the 2006-2007 are the EJ255. Pretty big difference there, and I'd avoid the EJ205 if you can. Engine wise, can you use an EJ207? You can get those off importers from canuckia on eBay pretty easily, though I have no idea how you pick a reputable one. Much more fun than the EJ205.

Can you use an R180 rear end? Again, much better options in terms of differential if you can go with the R180 setup from an STI instead of the R160 VLSDs or Opens.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

si posted:

The 2002-2005 are the EJ205 engine, where the 2006-2007 are the EJ255. Pretty big difference there, and I'd avoid the EJ205 if you can. Engine wise, can you use an EJ207? You can get those off importers from canuckia on eBay pretty easily, though I have no idea how you pick a reputable one. Much more fun than the EJ205.

Can you use an R180 rear end? Again, much better options in terms of differential if you can go with the R180 setup from an STI instead of the R160 VLSDs or Opens.

Turns out you don't use the rear drive part of the donor car, the 818 is mid engine RWD so you mount the engine in the back and use it to drive the rear wheels. The EJ207 would probably work if it bolts up the same way. Dad probably wants to keep the car single sourced for simplicity, so I doubt he'd go for it. In addition to the engine the kit uses the donor brakes, suspension, seats, and gauge cluster. Good to know the 06-07 engine is a big improvement though, I knew it was at least bigger.

mcgreenvegtables fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 31, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

si posted:

The back of the transmission is blocked off, and the rear wheels are driven directly off the transmission. It doesn't need the differential.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Actually, I'd say that makes it maybe more interesting, since every WRX has an open front diff.

If you were to use a 5MT out of an STI from overseas with a helical front, it might be useful then?

I believe the Ver.6 is an EJ207 with a 5MT that you could get with a front diff. Of course you could also just install one in any WRX gearbox, but that would require cracking it open.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a place in calgary that had some JDM front cuts which would be everything you need, but they wanted like, $8000

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

There's a place in calgary that had some JDM front cuts which would be everything you need, but they wanted like, $8000

That's a ridiculous price for a halfcut, even here. If you really wanted to get saucy you could just pick up a 2-4k JDM WRX with bad coilpacks locally and throw the whole mess into an 818 - you do need all four corners of the suspension so a halfcut might not necessarily work. That's the plan for 818 assembly here at least - find a 93 or 94 that some pinhead paid one of the skeezy JDM lots to import and then ignored maintenance-wise.

Dunno what shipping would be like to where you are to make this happen when there are enough wrecked GD/GG WRXes on Copart to choke a dog. Winter is probably the wrong time to buy a running car.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Powershift posted:

Shouldn't be anywhere near that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-JDM-S...95e1ba5&vxp=mtr

May as well get the other suspension parts from a regular US WRX or even 2.5i/RS.

Though I think for a front diff you need like a STI RA Limited or however many words they were able to cram onto one car.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Powershift posted:

I bought my 98 STi type-ra v-limited with 75000 km on it for $8k.

e:

si posted:

Shouldn't be anywhere near that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-JDM-S...95e1ba5&vxp=mtr

May as well get the other suspension parts from a regular US WRX or even 2.5i/RS.

Though I think for a front diff you need like a STI RA Limited or however many words they were able to cram onto one car.

I think it was an option on the type RA's, not sure you need a v-limited.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There are some front LSD upgrade options, I wouldn't beat myself to death trying to get a factory front LSD.

This list shows which cars had front LSDs from the factory:
http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Subaru%20Transmission%20Chart

si
Apr 26, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There are some front LSD upgrade options, I wouldn't beat myself to death trying to get a factory front LSD.

This list shows which cars had front LSDs from the factory:
http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Subaru%20Transmission%20Chart

There are, just saves you some considerable money if you can find one - because otherwise you need to both buy a diff and have it installed. The salvage ones that show up from the importers usually only cost $200 or so more than the "normal" units. In fact, sometimes if you just check the transmission code in the pictures, they don't even list it as anything special.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
I moved to Denver from New Orleans recently and my car has had a rough time adjusting.
I was using T6 oil in the south, what weight is best for when it snows a few times a month?
Also, my power steering is very lovely now. I burped it to fix it a month ago, but its back to being mostly useless. Is it a common cold weather issue or should I be looking for leaks?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I used T6 year-round in Wisconsin.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I use T6 year round in Western Canada even on -30'C days before windchill. Had no problems, even on days when the gear oil has frozen into a slurpee and you can't let the clutch out in neutral without stalling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mcgreenvegtables posted:

I'd be interested in seeing how the build progresses if you can keep us updated on it. Should I stack my WRX, I'd be reincarnating it as one of those.