Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

The only difference between Generations Superion/Motormaster and these Takara Unite ones are the manufacturer and maybe some colours, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't think anyone owns the Unite stuff yet, they might have some minor revision level changes to them.

But probably just colors, yeah.

Anora posted:

He is going through the "process" with them. First make them interesting, then make them "lovable" with antics, then brutal murder.
I really hope you're right but I'm coping with how much I just want the Scavengers or Star Saber back instead of boring one-sided battle scenes with characters I will never care about.

And then next year Overlord will be back and I will be bored to tears by that too. Roberts is a cruel, cruel man. (Just to be clear, the greatest world building doesn't mean I like his "real fighty" stuff at all. The climax to Ratchet gets new hands and the Tyrest arc was way, way better than the DJD/Overlord stuff for me)

The_Doctor posted:

See, you say that, but it's the movie and RID15 stuff sitting on pegs, while the CW/Generations waves vanish as soon as they go out.
You don't seriously believe this sort of biased, anecdotal point is meaningful do you?

I mean besides the obvious problem with your statement.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Post VII The Post Awakens: Transformers: Devastation

Hey, I'm alive!

Also, stuff happened in a kinda slapdash TF miniseries!

Usual three pronged plot, here, but the A-story is pretty basic. Autobots try and move the Ark somewhere where the bad guys can't find them. Sixshot shows up, blows 'em up, and the kids/Ratchet try to convince the army that there's good alien death robots/fight the bad alien death robot, respectively. That's honestly pretty much all that happens for the 'bots, except Sunstreaker, Wheeljack and Hot Rod. There's a bit of a cliffhanger when Nightbeat beams up the heroes at the last second to avoid an airstrike, and the squishy humans can't handle Superior Cybertronian Teleportation Technology and kinda die a little bit. But it's OK, Ratchet fixes them. Maybe.

Wheeljack and Hot Rod are off looking for an impounded and injured Ironhide, but get attacked by a bunch of dicks in yellow Lamborghinis... Wait a minute! Those aren't real Lambos! They are, in fact, Scorponok's legion of Headmaster knockoffs of Sunstreaker, the project for which Hunter, the third of our fleshling trio, was being used as a guinea pig for. He resisted brainwashing by use of high level anti-torture tactics and um... I get wanting your hero to be cool, but really? Random dude from the sticks is able to resist sci-fi mind control? Anyway, there's a similarly long battle between Hot Rod, Wheeljack and the Headmasters, while Hunter breaks free and uses his new body to merge with the real Sunstreaker, and in the process weakens the Headmasters enough to let the soon-to-be Rodimus kick their asses.

Meanwhile, the Decepticons all think Megatron is nuts, but no one has the gears to stand up to him and Sixshot, so they instead sneak around and revive Starscream. Just in time too! Because the random douchebags from Sixshot's Spotlight show up to nuke Earth, and Screamer decided that was right around the time he needed to use Megs' killswitch on Sixshot. Again, they fight and they fight and they fight and then Galvatron gives one of them Space-Ebola or something, and he kills the rest, and because Starscream helped in the fight, he's allowed to be not-dead anymore.

Oh, and the Renewable Robot Murder Brigade keep trucking along until they lose control of Ravage and Laserbeak, and decide that it's a keen idea to try and use a lobotomised Grimlock as a new weapon, right after they lose their less dangerous ones.

Forgive me, because it's been a couple weeks and I used TFWiki to refresh myself, but my prevailing memory of this one is action sequences. Fights. A LOT of them. Or more accurately, a FEW of them, that go on for issue after issue. I'm not saying I need a 6 issue conversation between Prime and Bumblebee about energon royales with cheese, but give me something, Furman, give me a minute's characterisation. We almost get that with Hot Rod's stubborn desire to stay behind at the end, even when the Autobots bug out because the 'real' plot has started in the Spotlight books (and god that's dumb, having the big plot happen outside the main book?).

Su's art is as reliable as ever, and I come down on the side of liking the new Headmaster design, at least for what it is. I generally like the Japanese Headmaster concept better, having them be little Transformers like the tapes, that wanted big-rear end bodies/vehicles. But if you're going body-horror cyborg, then this look works. Similarly, the mangled images of Sunstreaker and Scorponok's heads are pretty awesome in a gruesome manner.

The pacing in this thing is awful. It's six issues with 3 action beats and a plot that's abandoned as unimportant at the end. I'm even mildly intrigued by the Dead Universe thing, but geez, try and end one story before charging into another guys.

Next up: More Spotlights, I think?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Spiderdrake posted:

You don't seriously believe this sort of biased, anecdotal point is meaningful do you?

I mean besides the obvious problem with your statement.

By the same token, do you have any actual evidence that Generations doesn't sell well? Other than Rattrap and Tankor, the 2014 Generations Deluxes seemed to move rather briskly, based on a survey of most Southern California Targets and TRUs.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I envy you guys. Generations here is so pegwarmers that I can still get an Orion Pax and Bomber Megatron Deluxes here (for full prices). Second-last wave here was the one with Trailcutter one and then they jumped straight to the Combiner Wars wave. TV Series/movie lines are the ones that see some stock rotation.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Guzwar posted:

The only difference between Generations Superion/Motormaster and these Takara Unite ones are the manufacturer and maybe some colours, yes?

Also remember that the Takara ones have Wildrider (Dead End retool) instead of Offroad, and Slingshot (Fireflight retool) instead of Alpha Bravo. It doesn't matter too much since Hasbro is releasing these two a bit later anyway, but just in case.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Blackheart posted:

Also remember that the Takara ones have Wildrider (Dead End retool) instead of Offroad, and Slingshot (Fireflight retool) instead of Alpha Bravo. It doesn't matter too much since Hasbro is releasing these two a bit later anyway, but just in case.

Ah right, the legal-issue-name-change stuff. Thanks!

Tax return and payday came two days apart and my finger is hovering over that pre-order button...

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Not name changes, i mean literal different toys!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Off Road and Alpha Bravo are entirely new characters and molds. If you NEED geewun, the Takara version is for you. Alpha Bravo and Off Road are both really good figures, though.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Off Road and Alpha Bravo are entirely new characters and molds. If you NEED geewun, the Takara version is for you. Alpha Bravo and Off Road are both really good figures, though.

Alpha Bravo makes a really great foot too. And slingshot is a remold of Firefly, easily the weakest of the bunch.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

My mistake, I read the blurb on the wiki and figured it was a minimal change in terms of the figure itself.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think if I could strip away the nostalgia I have for the aerial bots (good luck with that) I would like Alpha Bravo the best. He's great.

I think I'm just gonna end up buying all five of them anyway. Has Rhyno confirmed if "emerging markets" means comic book stores?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Guzwar posted:

My mistake, I read the blurb on the wiki and figured it was a minimal change in terms of the figure itself.

They both are repaints and are renamed so it's understandable! Happily Wildrider is a repaint of the best of the Stunticons. And Slingshot is...well, they're all goddamn planes, who cares.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm not racist, but those Aerialbots all look alike to me. Alpha Bravo got in through affirmative action.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Takes the hands on approach to Iacon's crime problem!

Once you see the awkwardly placed bump you will not unsee it

Does his hat look kinda russian-y?

I appreciate this guy's photographs but uh what is up with

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Wildr

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

They both are repaints and are renamed so it's understandable! Happily Wildrider is a repaint of the best of the Stunticons. And Slingshot is...well, they're all goddamn planes, who cares.

Wildrider is a repaint of Off Road?!? Crazy talk, man. Crazy talk.

(Dead End is the second best though.)

Air Raid is the best of the planes. Superion should have three Air Raids mold-mates and an Alpha Bravo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Spiderdrake posted:

Takes the hands on approach to Iacon's crime problem!

Once you see the awkwardly placed bump you will not unsee it

Does his hat look kinda russian-y?

I appreciate this guy's photographs but uh what is up with

HULK HANDS HELL YEAH

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Remember, whenever Taint Reaper sees a Rook, he sees a Brawl.

Donate to his patreon to pay his medical bills today.

Air Raid is the best of the planes. Superion should have three Air Raids mold-mates and an Alpha Bravo.
He basically does, they're nearly identical.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

He basically does, they're nearly identical.

Air raid has waaaaay better wings than Fireflight or Skydive, though. They fold and move and everything.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

His transformation gives him ankle tilts. Cool. He also can use the handfoot as a turret in altmode, or a riot shield in botmode. I love his lil' helmet! Looks like a very well designed bot.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 10, 2015

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Would any goon be interested in purchasing Takara Tomy Darkside Prime and Darkside Megatron set before I toss these guys on eBay?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Which figures are those?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

DoctorWhat posted:

HULK HANDS HELL YEAH

I wasn't particularly excited for the Protectorbots, but knowing that Rook can have hulk hands makes me infinitely more excited for Wave 3 to show up (just after wave 2 deluxes finally show up! :argh: )

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DoctorWhat posted:

Which figures are those?

Should of put the series (United), but it's this set (Generations molds):

http://tfsource.com/products/view/product_id/2678/

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Finally got the wave 2 CW guys so I now have complete Superion and Menasor.

Kinda love and hate with these guys for me. Maybe I just had poor luck but the quality control seems fairly poor. Weird tightness/looseness in joints and overtight/loose tabs in quite a few places. However I really like the look and feel of them when they're together.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Should of put the series (United), but it's this set (Generations molds):

http://tfsource.com/products/view/product_id/2678/

I encourage anyone who's into dark repaints to snap these up. Megatron in particular has this really nice, rich tone to his black and purple that the photos just don't quite communicate. They both are just really great-looking figures.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sold! Gonna miss this set but I really need to downsize the collection at this point.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Blackheart posted:

What the gently caress

I prefer Squatimus Prime, who presumably has some sort of robotic irritable bowel syndrome that is causing black ooze to seep from her undercarriage.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It will be all too soon before some overweight guy squeezes himself into one of those. Just in time for SDCC, I bet.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Just read the latest MTMTE issue.

I'm going to call it here, Nickle is going to die so god damned hard.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

What with Rook being a swat APC and Blades rescuing people with missiles, they need to do a Decepticon repaint of Defensor as the police brutality squad. Hot Spot turns into a fire engine that shoots fire instead of putting it out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

What with Rook being a swat APC and Blades rescuing people with missiles, they need to do a Decepticon repaint of Defensor as the police brutality squad. Hot Spot turns into a fire engine that shoots fire instead of putting it out.

Might as well make them the DJD.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Might as well make them the DJD.

That would be cool. Maybe replace Hot Spot with Onslaught's mood as fire engines are hardly instruments of oppression.

Also, autobot or not, Rook is totally a big Russian dude who brutally beats the poo poo out of people. Putintron.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Megahand Rook sold me on his hands looking that way. That's just great.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Room is gonna carry all the handfeet. The Aerialbots can peg their handfeet to the wings of two of them, and the Stunticons... well they have awkward shoulder shields I guess.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Room is gonna carry all the handfeet. The Aerialbots can peg their handfeet to the wings of two of them, and the Stunticons... well they have awkward shoulder shields I guess.

Offroad can handle all four handfeet in vehicle mode!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

fire engines are hardly instruments of oppression.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, autobot or not, Rook is totally a big Russian dude who brutally beats the poo poo out of people. Putintron.
That's all I'm seeing too, comrade. My Rook however will have two giant purple drills for hands though.

Wonder if that will work in combined mode. I'm surprised at how the more I see pictures of them the more I want to pick up the Protectobots. I mean, they're big stupid boxy things, but Defensor was always a big stupid boxy things and they seem to execute on it perfectly.

I really wonder if MT is going to push back Guardia to 2017. Kinda funny how both MT and FP stumbled hard in one of their lines in the last six months.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Sire Oblivion posted:

Sold! Gonna miss this set but I really need to downsize the collection at this point.

Congrats to whatever goon got these. You won't be disappointed. I love them both and that Shadow Prime makes the best use of the Nemesis Prime deco I've seen. So drat sinister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I stand corrected.