Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BurningStone posted:

I thought it was going to be Alcohol, Guns, and Bad Life Choices
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms? Yes Please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms? Yes Please

Gunther, Germans und Stahl. :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms: A Triptych on the Staples of Early Modern Soldiering

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

cheerfullydrab posted:

Is there nothing Shirer can't do?

Military history?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Could somebody recommend a good youtube channel that talks about and demonstrates historical* firearms and ISN'T "YEEHAW GUNS AH FUNN"?

I'll occasionally watch an interesting video (recently saw one on that hilariously poo poo japanese pistol that jammed constantly), check out the rest of the channel and find it's just "How to bolt six thousand LEDs on your AR-15" or "Five Great Guns to murderise home intruders with" videos. Basically I want a channel that isn't TFR.

I'd love to know more about the development of all the various mechanisms, and videos are pretty hard to beat when it comes to demonstrating that sort of thing

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Splode posted:

Could somebody recommend a good youtube channel that talks about and demonstrates historical* firearms and ISN'T "YEEHAW GUNS AH FUNN"?

I'll occasionally watch an interesting video (recently saw one on that hilariously poo poo japanese pistol that jammed constantly), check out the rest of the channel and find it's just "How to bolt six thousand LEDs on your AR-15" or "Five Great Guns to murderise home intruders with" videos. Basically I want a channel that isn't TFR.

I'd love to know more about the development of all the various mechanisms, and videos are pretty hard to beat when it comes to demonstrating that sort of thing

Forgotten Weapons

I actually don't understand this guy. He is REAAAAAAALLY into guns, but stil manages to sound like a sensible enoug chap.

EDIT: fixed link, although interestingly enough, the poster bellow me linked the same thing.

mastervj fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 30, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Splode posted:

You'll probably like Forgotten Weapons. He talks about obscure innovative firearms, the different kinds of mechanisms they used, and what influence they had on other designs. So far his Youtube channel has less than an hour of video, but he has a website with tons of articles.

edit: Mastervj, your link is broken. I see it's supposed to link to Forgotten Weapons.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Splode posted:

the thing that this is part of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzf0ZiVr9qw
don't do what the dude in red is doing btw, the position of his hand on the ramrod like, one or two times is hell of unsafe

edit: and TFR is fine, dude

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GAL posted:

the thing that this is part of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzf0ZiVr9qw
don't do what the dude in red is doing btw, the position of his hand on the ramrod like, one or two times is hell of unsafe

Watching that link, I actually have a question - what do musketeers with matchlocks do if/when their match happens to go out during a fight? Do they have chemical matches, or do they try to borrow a light from someone with a still-lit match, or is there a designated torch-bearer standing by to provide a flame, or what? Trying to borrow a light in particular seems like there'd be a lot of potential for all sorts of accidents, especially for dudes with the bandoliers of ammo.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

Watching that link, I actually have a question - what do musketeers with matchlocks do if/when their match happens to go out during a fight? Do they have chemical matches, or do they try to borrow a light from someone with a still-lit match, or is there a designated torch-bearer standing by to provide a flame, or what? Trying to borrow a light in particular seems like there'd be a lot of potential for all sorts of accidents, especially for dudes with the bandoliers of ammo.
one dude out of every Rotte has a lantern with a lit candle in it, or you chain it off your friends' like chaining a cigarette

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

For me, a gun-grabbing European Nazi, TFR is like going to the zoo to look at insane but very interesting animals.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

mastervj posted:

For me, a gun-grabbing European Nazi, TFR is like going to the zoo to look at insane but very interesting animals.

What does that make places like Gunbroker like, then?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
These videos are exactly what I had in mind, thanks guys!

Didn't mean to cause a TFR derail, apologies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chamale posted:

You'll probably like Forgotten Weapons. He talks about obscure innovative firearms, the different kinds of mechanisms they used, and what influence they had on other designs. So far his Youtube channel has less than an hour of video, but he has a website with tons of articles.

edit: Mastervj, your link is broken. I see it's supposed to link to Forgotten Weapons.

Seconding. Forgotten Weapons (both the YouTube channel and website) cover all sorts of historical firearms, especially the less popular ones or rare prototypes.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Splode posted:

If you think TFR is a bit much (I do, too), don't ever go into GIP.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Splode posted:

These videos are exactly what I had in mind, thanks guys!

Didn't mean to cause a TFR derail, apologies.

Well, you can't really understand military history without understanding guns, and one of the best ways of learning about guns is doing stuff like going through TFR. I don't think it's a derail, just some overlap. For whatever reason, GiP is less of a culture shock for me, and it's also mad interesting if you want to peek inside (mainly) USA armed forces.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Same here, it's extremely fascinating, but the thinly veiled hatecrime joking just grates on my nerves after so long.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

LeadSled posted:

What does that make places like Gunbroker like, then?

Watching a film by that crazy Australian dude who wrestled crocodiles and poo poo.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The French make an advance, sort of, towards Pilckem. I spend as much time as I can bear considering the political fallout for Sir John French of chucking General Smith-Dorrien overboard. The Second Battle of Artois is imminent, and so too the BEF's supporting attack on Aubers Ridge, so time to think about the German defences there. Kenneth Best writes home hoping that he might be allowed to go to Gallipoli soon, and the German embassy has been publishing warnings in American newspapers that British-flagged passenger liners will be sunk on sight.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Tias posted:

If you think TFR is a bit much (I do, too), don't ever go into GIP.

Or do go lurk there, and you can learn a lot about how people who actually served act and think. There's a lot of good advice and humour if you avoid the drunk thread etc. The cole/idiots in the military thread is my favorite, but then I served and may be biased, and the current events thread is actually very good and full of decent commentary.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

Or do go lurk there, and you can learn a lot about how people who actually served act and think. There's a lot of good advice and humour if you avoid the drunk thread etc. The cole/idiots in the military thread is my favorite, but then I served and may be biased, and the current events thread is actually very good and full of decent commentary.

It makes a lovely contrast to the military hero-worship of the American public at large.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

ArchangeI posted:

It makes a lovely contrast to the military hero-worship of the American public at large.

I read someone quote a study on these forums once, that the more actual military servicemen you knew, the less likely you were to do the whole hero worship thing. Turns out they're people doing a job like everyone else.

Which makes me interested in knowing how the public at large sees the people who go off to be mercenaries in HEY GALs time? Is it a case of 'jobs are short, so people gotta do what people gotta do' or is leaving your home and farm frowned upon?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

Which makes me interested in knowing how the public at large sees the people who go off to be mercenaries in HEY GALs time?

"Oh poo poo they're here"?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nuclear War posted:

Which makes me interested in knowing how the public at large sees the people who go off to be mercenaries in HEY GALs time? Is it a case of 'jobs are short, so people gotta do what people gotta do' or is leaving your home and farm frowned upon?

They were paid to stay the gently caress away from friendly cities. I don't think people had a high opinion of them.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

By the way, does anyone who knows anything about D'Annunzio in May 1915 know exactly when he made the "We do not want to be a holiday destination, a horizon touched up with Prussian blue..." and "If it is a crime to incite the citizens to violence, then I boast of committing that crime..." speeches? "In mid-May 1915..." is good enough for most people, but...

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

I read someone quote a study on these forums once, that the more actual military servicemen you knew, the less likely you were to do the whole hero worship thing. Turns out they're people doing a job like everyone else.

Having known many soldiers in my time, the picture that springs to mind is a humvee blasting into Iraq while two guys blitzed out on rip-its sing teenage dirtbag at the top of their lungs. The whole public facing stoic warrior soldier poo poo that's bandied about on recruiting videos is hot garbage. Right this second, somewhere, someone is serenading a mop on a bullshit detail in a ship. Someone is jerking off in porta shitter while trying not to die from the fumes, and the guy next to him is adding to the sharpie dick art on the wall of his porta shitter.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Xerxes17 posted:

Gunther, Germans und Stahl. :v:

Guns, Germans and Steal :colbert:

Splode posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/britishmuzzleloaders is as the name is described on the tin.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Nuclear War posted:

More like "holy poo poo, these guys are in charge of representing the values of the western world to dirt farmers".

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Rhymenoserous posted:

Having known many soldiers in my time, the picture that springs to mind is a humvee blasting into Iraq while two guys blitzed out on rip-its sing teenage dirtbag at the top of their lungs. The whole public facing stoic warrior soldier poo poo that's bandied about on recruiting videos is hot garbage. Right this second, somewhere, someone is serenading a mop on a bullshit detail in a ship. Someone is jerking off in porta shitter while trying not to die from the fumes, and the guy next to him is adding to the sharpie dick art on the wall of his porta shitter.

So you're saying Generation Kill is the most accurate portrayal of the American soldier in media?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

HEY GAL posted:

I'm working on my dissertation, and my question is "What was it like, in as much detail as possible, to be a soldier in a Saxon mercenary regiment during the Thirty Years' War?"

Working title: An Army of Fuckups and the Spanish Road (I'm sorry Geoffrey Parker)

Out of curiosity will you be publishing in english and where would I be able to get a hold of it when published? I'd be very interested in reading it. :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

golden bubble posted:

So you're saying Generation Kill is the most accurate portrayal of the American soldier in media?

Ask a U.S. submariner for the most accurate submarine movie, and ten times out of ten they'll say Down Periscope.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Tias posted:

Same here, it's extremely fascinating, but the thinly veiled hatecrime joking just grates on my nerves after so long.

I think you have to have been in the military, or be mentally ill, or both to get it. That being said, I don't mind it.
TFR is OK, I don't read a lot of threads there about hunting, but the cold war thread is good, also the goat farming thread was good (boer, rifle).
About the only forums I don't read here are loving gaming or anime ones.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 30, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Trin Tragula posted:

By the way, does anyone who knows anything about D'Annunzio in May 1915 know exactly when he made the "We do not want to be a holiday destination, a horizon touched up with Prussian blue..." and "If it is a crime to incite the citizens to violence, then I boast of committing that crime..." speeches? "In mid-May 1915..." is good enough for most people, but...

his war speech was delivered the 5th of may

i don't know if this is the right speech, though, i have never read it

http://www.lefigaro.fr/histoire/centenaire-14-18/2014/09/15/26002-20140915ARTFIG00052-quatre-sonnets-de-gabriele-d-annunzio-1915.php

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 30, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I actually learnt the other day that during the middle of the 19th century some bayonet sockets had adorible little focusing sights.

Fo3 posted:

I think you have to have been in the military, or be mentally ill, or both to get it. That being said, I don't mind it.
TFR is OK, I don't read a lot of threads there about hunting, but the cold war thread is good, also the goat farming thread was good (boer, rifle).
About the only forums I don't read here are loving gaming ones.

As a poster there, yeah they are the worst. And the ones outside our own gaming forums? you don't want to know. I'd rather swallow razor blades than read any dedicated history threads or sub-forums in those websites ugh.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 30, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

golden bubble posted:

Honestly? Yes. It started out as a book by an embedded reporter, who then got the chance to have it turned into a miniseries. The book was faithful enough for officers to be recommended to read it to get an account of what war is really like for the enlisted men out in the field, and the miniseries not only had several actual soldiers on its cast but even got "Fruity Rudy" to play himself.

The hero worship of the military in America is kind of awful in a lot of respects, and is always touted by people with little to no connection to the military and the people who serve in it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

If you're the second to nth son of a farmer, you practically had no other choice but to become a clergyman, try and get an apprenticeship in a city somewhere (good luck with that) or become a mercenary, and it turns out that young men really like the idea of smashing poo poo and loving women, both of which is not nearly as easy to do in the first two paths as it is in the third. So leaving your home and farm is not only not frowned upon, it is practically mandatory. Small mountain valleys can only support so many people, which is the reason why the Swiss produced so many mercenaries.

Which makes me wonder, HEY GAL, in this situation, how exactly does one become a mercenary? Say you are your average 16 year old farmer's son and you've just been told that, surprise, you're is not going to inherit the farm on account of two older brothers and three sisters (not that they matter) and you decide that you really like to go out, see the world, meet new people and then kill them and take their stuff. Do you just show up when the recruiters come by and go "pick me pick me"? Once you are enlisted, do they train you? Do mercenary regiments have, like, youth teams? Do you have to demonstrate a basic understanding of how a pike works (pointy end towards the enemy!)? What if you have no gear?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

Which makes me wonder, HEY GAL, in this situation, how exactly does one become a mercenary? Say you are your average 16 year old farmer's son and you've just been told that, surprise, you're is not going to inherit the farm on account of two older brothers and three sisters (not that they matter) and you decide that you really like to go out, see the world, meet new people and then kill them and take their stuff. Do you just show up when the recruiters come by and go "pick me pick me"? Once you are enlisted, do they train you? Do mercenary regiments have, like, youth teams? Do you have to demonstrate a basic understanding of how a pike works (pointy end towards the enemy!)? What if you have no gear?
You show up when the captain's agents show up (maybe they're coming through the nearest larger town to you) and accept the down payment they give you: first month's pay plus travel money. You promise to show up at the place and time they tell you to for mustering, because if you don't you're a deserter as much as the dudes who walk off, and while not as bad as leaving the field once the flags are out, turns out that's punished as a violation of the Tenth Commandment, the one against theft.

When you get there, someone will train you, although it's more or less official depending on the army--the Spanish called more experienced soldiers Lance-passades and gave them a little extra for helping train people. They don't have youth teams and Wallhausen talks not only about drill but about testing dudes--I don't know if anyone really did it though.

You show up with your clothing and, if you're a city-dweller, your sword. Everything else will be given to you in exchange for a deposit: its value will be deducted from your wages but on paper you'll get that money back when you leave if the equipment isn't lost or damaged.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

You show up with your clothing and, if you're a city-dweller, your sword. Everything else will be given to you in exchange for a deposit: its value will be deducted from your wages but on paper you'll get that money back when you leave if the equipment isn't lost or damaged.

Well thank God they're not in a business where things might get a little chaotic or even violent every once in a while!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

Well thank God they're not in a business where things might get a little chaotic or even violent every once in a while!
not to mention we can trust in the honesty of their captains to receive their pay and disburse it accurately to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Is there a good book on the Allied administrative/medical efforts to care for the inhabitants of the liberated concentration camps? You're trucking across Europe with a medical apparatus intended to treat soldiers wounded in combat, and you find yourself taking care of tens of thousands of people dying from starvation and disease, so you've got to shift gears a bit. And I'd expect the Soviets to handle things differently at Ravensbrueck than the Americans did at Buchenwald, etc.

• Locked thread