Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

AceClown posted:

can we do anything about AutoCard Anywhere not working on SA? It's really starting to annoy me now.

Huh, I thought it was something on my end. What's the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Aranan posted:

Huh, I thought it was something on my end. What's the deal?

HTTPS problems.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Tales of Woe posted:

what kind of green stompy deck is this? Dryad Militant and Scavenging Ooze are pretty good at slowing down storm.

I'll have to try out ooze more, I just started using it on xmage and it's super handy

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

actually, oozes do not have hands

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Procrastinator posted:

actually, oozes do not have hands

That really depends on where in the digestion cycle they are.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Omar al-Bishie posted:

what would be a good example of disruption, by the way? Thalia?

Anything that buys some extra turns is disruption. Thalia is a good example as her cost increase will significantly slow down a deck that needs to cast multiple non creature spells in a single turn like storm. She is also fairly versatile since she also slows down any deck running non-creature spells. Any deck running cantrips doesn't want to see her on the board.

Some other common forms of disruption are discard like Thoughtseize. Taking a key part of a combo deck forces them to dig or tutor for a replacement. It's probably the most versatile kind because almost every deck is disrupted in some way by having a card taken from their hand.

Some less versatile disruption is something like Ghost Quarter. Against a Tron deck it significantly disrupts their mana even if they have a basic to search for. Against any deck with a significant number of basics, though, it's basically nullified. It still tends to be played in a lot of maindecks, though, because the cost to run it is low and it has some value against a fair number of decks by taking out man-lands or utility lands.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ghost Quarter shenanigans are some of my favorite things to do in this game

Countering a Spreading Seas and taking merfolk off their island, pumping up a KotR out of nowhere for the win, and keeping someone off of Cryptic and Scapeshit are all fond Magic memories

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ghost Quarter shenanigans are some of my favorite things to do in this game

Countering a Spreading Seas and taking merfolk off their island, pumping up a KotR out of nowhere for the win, and keeping someone off of Cryptic and Scapeshit are all fond Magic memories

Turning on Archive Trap :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Of all the changes coming back a decade and a half later, everyone now bringing a big ol' mousepad to gently rest their cards onto is one of the stranger ones.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Of all the changes coming back a decade and a half later, everyone now bringing a big ol' mousepad to gently rest their cards onto is one of the stranger ones.

I use a boob mousepad for mine

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I mean, would you want to put your cards onto the average comic shop table? I once played a draft w/o sleeves or playmat, and the cards picked up a considerable amount of...mung.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The reason people use those "mousepads" is that those tables haven't been cleaned in a decade and a half.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

I use a boob mousepad for mine

Good wrist support for continuous shuffling.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

The reason people use those "mousepads" is that those tables haven't been cleaned in a decade and a half.

When I was a lad we bridge shuffled unsleeved OG dual lands onto the cruddy folding tables of dank, dark gamestore basements and back rooms and we liked it.

You may not want to admit it but deep down you should be thanking me for that beat-to-poo poo Taiga you got for a song because it's only "sleeve playable." That was my doing, a gift to future generations of players.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The tables are disgusting, frequently textured, and even if there is a giant playmat already on the tables can you imagine the filth embedded in them? Mats are useful and let you add some modicum of personalized fun to your game. When I started back 3 years ago I had a custom mat printed that's super abstract colorful texture stuff and 50% of the time I actually get to a store to play someone mentions liking it.

Or you can be a weirdo with anime titties if you want to let the world know you're a skeezlord.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My last tournament I got knocked out playing against someone with a Yoko Littner playmate :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ShaneB posted:

Or you can be a weirdo with anime titties if you want to let the world know you're a skeezlord.

Searching online for "playmat" is a real minefield of things that can only appeal to broke-brained weeaboo sex weirds.

I rather like this one, though:

I will get a play mat, and wear my hat askew, and say "hello fellow kids," and pretend my knees don't click and clack when I go up stairs.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
This is the only playmat I have considered buying because I like the art so much

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I like this one because of the cat butthole.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I'm sad I couldn't snag a copy of this one:

But I did get this one, so it's all OK:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I play on a giant mat of this without the logo:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ooohhh playmat chat.

I own this one from Regionals but it's a little overdyed and that makes me sad as the lines aren't as crisp as they could be:

I still do love this one but never use it:

The top half of this is what I used for my playmat. Somehow there is a 3000x3000px version of it on the web and it's insane.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShaneB posted:

The top half of this is what I used for my playmat. Somehow there is a 3000x3000px version of it on the web and it's insane.

You should know that inked playmats makes 3'x3' square mats for miniatures games to rectify that situation.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

You should know that inked playmats makes 3'x3' square mats for miniatures games to rectify that situation.

Well using a square mat for MtG would be silly but now I know what I'm gonna get for a small square game table in the future :getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShaneB posted:

Well using a square mat for MtG would be silly but now I know what I'm gonna get for a small square game table in the future :getin:

I play 2HG events with it if the other side is fine with it (and also don't look gross) as well as board games. And boy howdy sometimes my group questions why we play on a giant colorful mat with 50 tiny tokens lying around but we think it's worth it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

In combination of washing your hands and using a mat, you can prolong the life the of the sleeves you use which can save a lot of money. You gotta wash your mat every once in a while though.

Most big events give out mats, so you are drowning in them after a little bit of play.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

My first playmat makes getting any subsequent playmats hard since they have to follow this:

This is my top contender ATM:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/en/htsusa/exclusives/-c42380000

Hurry before its gone.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Nerf War seems like it would combo really well with the N-Strike Stampede.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

My brother got me a "slivers playing MTG" custom playmat. It's neat.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Thanks I got one. I really like that sword of dnd.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The SCG creature collection playmats are the only good thing to come out of that company. And drat are they good.

I mostly use playmats from old dead TCGs like City of Heroes, WoW, L5R, etc. but I am also partial to the Shadowmoor and Shards of Alara prerelease playmats I have.

My buddy got a Vendilion Clique gp playmat that he always uses and I'm very jealous :(

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the heads up. :lol: at the prices people are paying for this thing on ebay.

The Shortest Path posted:

The SCG creature collection playmats are the only good thing to come out of that company. And drat are they good.
The storage boxes are really nice too. They're the perfect size for a lot of non-MTG card games.

I do find it funny that playmats used to be a thing that people paid top dollar for exclusive ones as it was just a GP/SCG gimmick, but in the past couple years it's been flooded by so many events that they can now be had for $6 for a decent-size mousepad.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 11, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks for the heads up. :lol: at the prices people are paying for this thing on ebay.

What were they going for before?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Shortest Path posted:

My buddy got a Vendilion Clique gp playmat that he always uses and I'm very jealous :(

I have two of these, one signed, if you want one. They aren't really pricey on eBay or anything.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

What were they going for before?

A couple that have just ended today are $100, and recent ones at $80+.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Am I stupid if I don't pull the trigger on this hascon exclusive promo thing speculating it'll go up up UP?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Am I stupid if I don't pull the trigger on this hascon exclusive promo thing speculating it'll go up up UP?

How much profit justifies you spending 30 bucks upfront and dealing with the hassle of selling/shipping it after?

To me that would require a few hundred but maybe I just value my time more.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

playing red/white burn on xmage to see if I like it, opponent has leyline of sanctity. they're at two life. I'm literally just waiting to topdeck a goblin guide

I have sideboard enchantment hate but literally none mainboarded. help?

e: got a guide, he pathed it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

How much profit justifies you spending 30 bucks upfront and dealing with the hassle of selling/shipping it after?

To me that would require a few hundred but maybe I just value my time more.

Yeah, I'm just so done trying to flip basically anything. But I'm also old.