Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

goose willis posted:

Fluff question: do the Chaos gods ever actually do something benevolent or is it always just "haha I tricked you into worshiping me now you're a mass of tentacles lmao"

Nurgle is super benevolent. He'll make anybody who asks nicely live forever, and stop whatever disease is killing them from killing them in the process. It just has side effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

WC5 is insane for Wings. That's a WC7 power, if not 8.

It just shouldn't be allowed for dreads. For a single librarian its not that big a deal, the old wings applied to the whole unit the librarian was embedded in.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

5th ed BA were bordering on broken just because they had Stormravens before everyone else, and that Mephiston could solo entire ARMIES.

One of my favourite memories of 5th ed is playing a BA player in a tournament. He had an ok but not good list, I had my vanilla SM. I had a poo poo time of it for the first two turns - anti-tank bounced, he was blowing poo poo up left and right, Mephiston was charging about the place tearing me a new rear end in a top hat.

In my 3rd turn Mephiston is about 7-8" away from the board edge, so I tank shock him in the vain hope that he'll fail the leadership and flee off the board. He decides to death or glory. Passes his Psychic test. Penetrates the Rhino.

Vehicle Shaken.

The 35pt Rhino drives straight over 250pt Mephiston, ending his reign of terror beneath its tracks.

The dude's face was a picture. I'll never know why he did it; Mephiston was more likely than not to survive but there were so many possible points of failure in Death or Glory, for the sake of killing a loving Rhino it was never going to be worth it. My dice recovered after that and I rightly stomped him.

The real magic of that BA book wasn't in the Stormravens really, it was the fact that they could do mech Marines best - TLAC Razorbacks with meltaguns, 3x Baal Preds with TLAC and HBs, and 3x AC/LC Preds with Mephiston hiding behind them before jumping out and loving you up was deadly.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really hope Thousand Sons get fleshed out more when they get their book, I'd love to see a bunch of Tzeentchian daemon engines similar to the Death Guard and their pile of Nurgle daemon engines

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The dread only has 3 attacks base so it's not like it's the end of the world. It's strong, but to be really effective you have to put so many resources into it that I'd say it balances out.

Corrode posted:

Honestly BA being worse than vanilla Marines was only a thing in 4th (with the WD list) and 7th (when I assume the book was bad). They were absolute terrors in 3rd ed and the 5th ed book was vastly better than that edition's very lacklustre SM codex.

I started playing 40k shortly after the 7th edition BA codex released and they remain my only army. The idea of not being considered an underdog is a very strange one for me, especially when I've already had some pretty decent success with an index that was widely considered near the bottom of the pile. It's plain bemusing for me to see a vanilla player jealously eyeballing my new book.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AnEdgelord posted:

I really hope Thousand Sons get fleshed out more when they get their book, I'd love to see a bunch of Tzeentchian daemon engines similar to the Death Guard and their pile of Nurgle daemon engines

:same:

But for now I'm in bug-city.

I got some vallejo fluorescent paints, I'm gonna make all my 'nids UV reactive :)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That said, it does feel like vanilla Marines are being wildly short changed. I mean, at this point, why would you choose to be?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pendent posted:

I started playing 40k shortly after the 7th edition BA codex released and they remain my only army. The idea of not being considered an underdog is a very strange one for me, especially when I've already had some pretty decent success with an index that was widely considered near the bottom of the pile. It's plain bemusing for me to see a vanilla player jealously eyeballing my new book.

Yeah it's funny how this works. I always think of Eldar as being kind of rubbish because when I played most heavily, Eldar were stuck with their 4th ed book which was insane on release, but very tame in 5th. Same for Nids; the 4th ed Nid book had basically run out of steam by the end of 4th, and was up to nothing much in 5th (and their book in that edition did nothing to change things). Eldar have been absolutely insane for most of 40k's lifespan, but in that relatively short window they weren't, so mentally I always think of them as being a bit gash. Nids were terrors of 2nd and 3rd ed, and Nidzilla was strong stuff in 4th, but then they had a drought for a good decade before the current book and now there's a whole generation of 40kers who think of Nids as being a bit of a joke army.

Still holding out for Orks to return to their 4th ed heights.

Shockeh posted:

That said, it does feel like vanilla Marines are being wildly short changed. I mean, at this point, why would you choose to be?

I don't think vanilla Marines are in the worst place in the world, but I suspect another couple of books and their lunch is going to be firmly eaten, particularly once DA are out (and are probably more shooting-focused than BA) and especially Space Wolves which are always ridiculous.

Good excuse to finally turn my BA from a one-note 5th ed gimmick into an actual army, but it's a shame that the Fists are probably going to spend some time back in the case after a brief lease of life.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 2, 2017

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

I think if you want to run a shooting marine army you're still better off with ultramarines/salamanders/raven guard. All three have very good chapter tactics and bobby G even with the points increase is great. Everything about the blood angels now is about combat, so while we can run a shooting army (especially since people won't want to charge are shooters) the strength is absolutely in melee now. I am worried that as soon as Dark Angels drops it really won't make sense to run a non-ultramarines codex chapter if Grim Resolve gives them reroll 1s to shooting when they don't move.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh, sorry, should have put the standard disclaimer about specifically Bobby G. Hell, if you discount Bobby G, I'd put Ultras in the bin relatively too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

These cloaks are insane

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zaphod42 posted:

These cloaks are insane

That middle one is fukken sick

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

These cloaks are insane

holy poo poo now that i'm looking on them on my computer not my phone those cloaks are so good

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Liquid Communism posted:

Nurgle is super benevolent. He'll make anybody who asks nicely live forever, and stop whatever disease is killing them from killing them in the process. It just has side effects.

There’s a blurb in the Death Guard codex about a unit of Guardsmen who prayed to be saved and Nurgle made six out of every seven live perfectly healthy lives by transferring all their wounds and disease into the seventh Dorian Gray-style.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

This whole thing makes me cautiously optimistic about the Dark Angels book.

I've been playing DA since 3rd edition. Back then they were just a little rules pamphlet that modified the basic marine codex and replaced a couple of units with their own unique versions. Nothing was missing and they had some neat rules and options, but nothing rocked the boat too much and they were pretty much inline with codex marines. They had a brief, shining moment in 4th edition when they were used as the beta test for the 5th edition marine book. They lacked the customization of the 4th edition marine codex, but they were the first to get combat squads which was seen as a pretty big deal. Then the 5th edition marine book came along and Dark Angels were once again irrelevant. Despite getting 6th and 7th edition books, there were big gaps in their roster, especially in anti-air.

I still have no idea why GW refused to give them the AA tanks. My main opponent back in 6th/7th ran a bunch of flyers and I had to resort to blindly firing predators and land speeders at the sky to try to take them out. It'll be nice to finally have dedicated AA options now that they're not really needed. :v:

I'm mainly hoping we get Deathwing variants of cataphractii and tartaros in addition to some simple stuff like the Hunter/Stalker and possibly the Stormraven, etc. I'm not expecting centurions as BA did not get them, but I don't want them anyway so that's fine. Beyond that, I think the various Ravenwing bike units could use a points reduction and they'll likely get one since vanilla bikers did in their codex. Really hopeful for Black Knights that aren't trash.

I guess we'll find out in the next week or so. :ohdear:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

DA had a place in 5th ed, and that place was in using Deathwing as a counter-meta army in the back half of the edition, when you could still have 2+/3++ CML spam. It didn't last long.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Shockeh posted:

Shockeh posted:

Oh, sorry, should have put the standard disclaimer about specifically Bobby G. Hell, if you discount Bobby G, I'd put Ultras in the bin relatively too.

I don't march for macragge (sans guilliman) because its good I do it because it's right. :britain:

But yeah people were definitely on the mark thinking the marine 'dex would be weak as poo poo being first.

Whatever, las sponson predator with a magnetised turret gun and My Dudes custom primaris powerfist captain are undercoated and await painting.:toot:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Any idea when the new easy to build kits are coming out?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

December 23rd wasn't it?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goose willis posted:

Just before christmas, if I remember right.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

goose willis posted:

Pre orders 16th, release 23rd.

Aggressors £20, Redemptor £25, Nurgle lord plus terminators £25, Nurgle tankette £15.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm buying a Tyranid Swarm box, which includes 10 Gargoyles, 40 Termagants, 40 Hormagaunts, 1 Carnifex and 4 Ripper Swarms. I also already own the new Start Collecting box containing 8 Genestealers, a Brood Lord and a Trygon (Prime). Finally I have a box of Warriors and a FW Malanthrope which was a gift.

I'm pretty excited because this is a pretty sizable army already. I just want to know where to go from here. I don't think I have any elites at all and only a few heavy support and fast attack units.

My friend will buy me about 50 GBP worth of units for Christmas, so I'd like to know what to ask for. The shop near me is selling the old Tyranid start collecting box which gives me another HQ and I think fast attack, or maybe I should get another current one which will give me both an HQ and a heavy support unit. Or maybe just some separate units? I'm not too bothered about getting the most bang for my buck, as long as I get something that will actually be a worthwhile addition to my new army.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

a7m2 posted:

I'm buying a Tyranid Swarm box, which includes 10 Gargoyles, 40 Termagants, 40 Hormagaunts, 1 Carnifex and 4 Ripper Swarms. I also already own the new Start Collecting box containing 8 Genestealers, a Brood Lord and a Trygon (Prime). Finally I have a box of Warriors and a FW Malanthrope which was a gift.

I'm pretty excited because this is a pretty sizable army already. I just want to know where to go from here. I don't think I have any elites at all and only a few heavy support and fast attack units.

My friend will buy me about 50 GBP worth of units for Christmas, so I'd like to know what to ask for. The shop near me is selling the old Tyranid start collecting box which gives me another HQ and I think fast attack, or maybe I should get another current one which will give me both an HQ and a heavy support unit. Or maybe just some separate units? I'm not too bothered about getting the most bang for my buck, as long as I get something that will actually be a worthwhile addition to my new army.

That's pretty similar to the army I'm working on right now.

I'd pick up a Tyrant next, maybe another carnifex or something like a biovore or exocrine. It kinda depends upon how you want to play the army though, like which hive fleet and what kinda tactics are you thinking?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

Awesome Eldar

These are awesome! Nice call using the Galvanic Rifles for them. Really fits with the exodite theme. Also, I love the flowers.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

That's pretty similar to the army I'm working on right now.

I'd pick up a Tyrant next, maybe another carnifex or something like a biovore or exocrine. It kinda depends upon how you want to play the army though, like which hive fleet and what kinda tactics are you thinking?

Kraken's advance rule looks pretty incredible so I'm thinking about that one. I honestly am not sure because I'm still relatively new to the game and have only played CSM. For now I want to round out my army a little bit before I specialize.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 2, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

I'm thinking about getting into 40k again. Last time I tried was 4th Ed, and everyone wanted to kick my rear end instead of teaching me so I gave up. Shadespire has made me want to try a minis game again. I dabbled in Warmachine and Bolt Action but those communities died while 40k lives on forever. My fingers still burn whenever I think about how I zip-kicker'd them together trying to build those Marines though, so tell me more about these easy to build kits.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm thinking about getting into 40k again. Last time I tried was 4th Ed, and everyone wanted to kick my rear end instead of teaching me so I gave up. Shadespire has made me want to try a minis game again. I dabbled in Warmachine and Bolt Action but those communities died while 40k lives on forever. My fingers still burn whenever I think about how I zip-kicker'd them together trying to build those Marines though, so tell me more about these easy to build kits.

They're pretty much the snap-fit kits from Battle for Macragge/Assault on Black Reach, simpler kits with limited poseability and no optional weapons, but they're quick to clean up and build and the technology's come far enough that they're pretty much indistinguishable from the more traditional multipart kits, compatible with said additional parts if you get creative.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

The easy-to-build ones mostly hold together without glue (the space marine backpacks could use some otherwise they tend to spin on the peg.) I highly recommend the First Strike box set, which gives you all 4 easy to build sets at almost half of the cost normally. Also if you do get the larger sets later, none of the sculpts from First Strike are duplicated there, which is a huge improvement over the similar age of sigmar intro set.

And if you use plastic cement there's no risk of gluing your fingers together!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
After finally getting a complete rundown of the BA codex, all of yesterday's saltiness is gone. I'm pretty pumped. I look forward to successfully descending from the skies and punching things to death in melee again. :black101:

I still wish Baal Preds could advance and shoot though :colbert:

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I'm happy to hear how much better Blood Angels are turning out than expected. For a long while they were just inferior Space Wolves because they were both just "raging CC marines."

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Broken Record Talk posted:

After finally getting a complete rundown of the BA codex, all of yesterday's saltiness is gone. I'm pretty pumped. I look forward to successfully descending from the skies and punching things to death in melee again. :black101:

I still wish Baal Preds could advance and shoot though :colbert:

Flamestorm Cannons on Baal Predators in the Index are Assault D6. :shhh:

I don't actually know if that got FAQ'd.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Flamestorm Cannons on Baal Predators in the Index are Assault D6. :shh:

Flamestorm cannons on a land raider in chapter approved are Heavy D6, so I'm pretty sure it did.

On that note, I'm flipping through chapter approved now. The new missions look awesome!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
There was an erata a few months after 8th dropped. I was pretty annoyed by it at the time because it made the overcharged engines pointless.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Strobe posted:

Flamestorm Cannons on Baal Predators in the Index are Assault D6. :shhh:

The FAQed it pretty quick, and it apparently stayed changed in the codex.

The GW staff members making the presentation about the codex yesterday apparently didn't know that and were talking about how great Baal Predators were going to be, because of advancing extra distance and shooting immediately afterwards, before correcting themselves and trying to say that getting right next to your opponent, to shoot them next turn, was just as good :rolleyes:

Ah well, plenty of other nasty stuff in the book.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Broken Record Talk posted:

The FAQed it pretty quick, and it apparently stayed changed in the codex.

The GW staff members making the presentation about the codex yesterday apparently didn't know that and were talking about how great Baal Predators were going to be, because of advancing extra distance and shooting immediately afterwards, before correcting themselves and trying to say that getting right next to your opponent, to shoot them next turn, was just as good :rolleyes:

Ah well, plenty of other nasty stuff in the book.

Having Killshot on 3 twin asscan predators is pretty gross, though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

The easy-to-build ones mostly hold together without glue (the space marine backpacks could use some otherwise they tend to spin on the peg.) I highly recommend the First Strike box set, which gives you all 4 easy to build sets at almost half of the cost normally. Also if you do get the larger sets later, none of the sculpts from First Strike are duplicated there, which is a huge improvement over the similar age of sigmar intro set.

And if you use plastic cement there's no risk of gluing your fingers together!

I want to play either Tyranids or Necrons, but those box sets are mostly Marines, right? I hear Necrons are bad until they get a new codex, though.

Plastic cement sounds like a good plan.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
All boxed sets for the last few editions have been nothing but marines

Coincidentally if you're willing to play marines you will find it very easy to play a marine army on a budget because there are just so many variations of power armor boys for very cheap

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

I want to play either Tyranids or Necrons, but those box sets are mostly Marines, right? I hear Necrons are bad until they get a new codex, though.

Plastic cement sounds like a good plan.

if you can find it, treat yourself with tamiyas extra thin cement

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

if you can find it, treat yourself with tamiyas extra thin cement

Can't recommend this stuff enough. I recently made the switch, and I've completely sworn off anything and everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
In a moment of weakness while Christmas shopping I bought myself the deathwatch start collecting box because the best space marine chapter is all of them simultaneously.

What's the do's and dont's of building kill teams? I get the feeling I want to load them with special weapons and keep them in cover but I like the idea of as many shotguns + powerswords as possible loaded into a blackstar.