Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I don't understand how nationality defines appearance. Like there are French people, citizens of the nation of France, that look nothing like each other because one is black, one is brown, and one is white. They all have the same nationality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
When EU know EU know

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bald Stalin posted:

I don't understand how nationality defines appearance. Like there are French people, citizens of the nation of France, that look nothing like each other because one is black, one is brown, and one is white. They all have the same nationality.

And yet they are somehow all still French. :iiam:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
And yet, when I meet someone in the woods in Hinterköpingen, Sweden, decked out in Jack Wolfskin and geared up to the gills, I'm going to greet them in German secure in the knowledge that they know that language. The only question is whether they'll answer with "Moin", "Servus", or "Grüß Gott"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bald Stalin posted:

You can tell they're French cause they're all wearing strings of onions around their necks

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bald Stalin posted:

Nationality isn't ethnicity.

France is a very ethnically diverse nation due to centuries of colonialism.

Poland less so. As a result they have a smaller pool of facial features to draw from since it's been the same people in the same place for a few thousand years.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FreudianSlippers posted:

Nationality isn't ethnicity.

Literally my point lmao. Using nationality to define appearance is loving stupid. Nations are made up social constructs.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Bald Stalin posted:

Literally my point lmao. Using nationality to define appearance is loving stupid. Nations are made up social constructs.

This greatly depends on the nation, but it's imprecise shorthand, yeah

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bald Stalin posted:

Yeah but Poland is 98% ethnically Polish.

I don't want to get all skull measury though.

except to say that Anglos have freakishly round heads and should be distrusted (not because of the heads)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are a couple of looks that make me think "this person is british"

Like not all british people look like that but I have occasionally just seen a picture of a person and the concept of britishness just wafts off the image like untreated sewage in a river.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

, ' , | ,' _'

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SpacePig posted:

, ' , | ,' _'

If only that could be the thread title…

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

the only time you should try and judge someone's nationality by their appearance is if you're trying to determine if someone is Italian so you know you need to do the accent

"which does seem likely"

can confirm it works, but imo looks better like this:

, ' , | ', _'

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

SpacePig posted:

, ' , | ,' _'

I just tried it in discord and it doesn't work

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I just tried it in discord and it doesn't work

skill issue

(Spoilered for Eurovision final results, sorry!)

memes

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 01:28 on May 12, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sometimes I spontaneously think about this image:

I don't know why it speaks to me that much. Maybe because it's something some chain-smoking French existentialist philosopher might actually have said.

Will you fight? Or will you perish like a dog?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

goddamnit bt

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Bald Stalin posted:

A person is only French if they come from the France region of Europe, otherwise they're just a Sparkling Francophone.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Knormal posted:

A person is only French if they come from the France region of Europe, otherwise they're just a Sparkling Francophone.

How do you say sparkling francophone in the Quebecois dialect?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Tree Bucket posted:

Rudely

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Tree Bucket posted:

Quebecois or Acadian dialect? Canada has 4 French or French involved dialects I think. Quebec only 2 of those. The others are Métis French which is French with some native languages/loanwords mixed in and the other is Michif which is Cree with French loanwords I think? Neither are prevalent in Quebec.

:metis:

People who speak Quebecois French think that people from France are speaking a modernized bastardized version of the French language.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r7dveDEv-I

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Roger Corman has died.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Desert Bus posted:

Quebecois or Acadian dialect? Canada has 4 French or French involved dialects I think. Quebec only 2 of those. The others are Métis French which is French with some native languages/loanwords mixed in and the other is Michif which is Cree with French loanwords I think? Neither are prevalent in Quebec.

:metis:

People who speak Quebecois French think that people from France are speaking a modernized bastardized version of the French language.

New Brunswick French too. Northern Ontario also has its own thing going on.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Kitty Burger posted:

Roger Corman has died.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The french all look like baguettes. That's how you know they're True French.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

you can always tell the french because they only ever appear in profile, nose screwed up and away from you, outraged by your audacity to not be french

that and the cartoon stink lines

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Also all the raping their cartoon characters did.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Lotta confirmation bias ITT ATM WRT nationalities conforming to stereotypical facial features.

On the other hand, my brother married a french women who Looks. So. loving. French.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I am 25% Polish, 25% Czech, and 50% German, yet I look 100% Dutch. It's really confounding, so I've legally added a "von" before my last name.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
It's "van" in Dutch.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Flakey posted:

It's "van" in Dutch.
Yes... but who wants to be Dutch?

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Which ones are the swarthy ones? I've always wondered where I'm from but don't want to give 23 and Me my precious DNA.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The van in Dutch isn't a noble signifier like von was though; it's more like the de in French meaning from.

And you can always tell someone is French as long as you're close enough to smell them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bald Stalin posted:

A lot of nationalists would disagree with you on that.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

euphronius posted:

A lot of nationalists would disagree with you on that.

They sound pretty retarded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bald Stalin posted:

Also all the raping their cartoon characters did.

That's not fair, c'mon.

It's the film directors too.