Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am currently nerding out about the Amen break, thanks to Snowy and Muppets (just heard the Funky Drummer break in the first vid).

This is so not in my wheelhouse but I can dig it.

expand your horizons man, this is the most important drum loop in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

killhamster posted:

expand your horizons man, this is the most important drum loop in the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
C clarinet could actually be fun

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Also old Haydn and Mozart pieces were written for c Clarinet. And apparently plastic C clarinet is replacing recorders in the UK?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Concatenation posted:

are those some sort of insect eggs on the gameboy cartridges

I think they're styrofoam pellets? Why they're there is just as much a mystery tho

Noise Machine posted:

If those steam punk shells were not brass, I'd actually like them. Steel hardware would look pretty slick.

Non ironically would play that stratele.

The brass isn't what messes with me there, it's that they're brass frames for GLASS SHELLS

yes let's make drums from glass and then hit them. good luck not shattering one the first time you knock the floor tom over by getting up too fast or trying to move something---hell, even taking it home is a dicey proposition.

Weird BIAS posted:

Also old Haydn and Mozart pieces were written for c Clarinet. And apparently plastic C clarinet is replacing recorders in the UK?

I never encountered the seemingly-everywhere "you have to take home a recorder and learn it in school" thing. I guess it's just a UK thing. I know people used to write for C, but the whole thing just seems weird to me.

also apparently I am alone in thinking the stratele is the ugliest guitar I've seen this week

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Bass-boat sparkle. Still :swoon:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I reckon its quite smart the new Korgs (Monologue I think?) have an E to E scale on the keys to try and lure guitarists to the dark side.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

hell yeah vape naysh yall

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dr. Faustus posted:

Bass-boat sparkle. Still :swoon:

Truely the best of all finishes, ever

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:eyepop: I had no idea!

Where the hell do I start with Hank III if I'm completely unfamiliar with his stuff? He's gotta have like an intimidatingly lengthy discography by now, huh? I know he's been active for decades.

surprisingly compared to the old country guys he grew up around he doesn't have too many albums

ghost to a ghost/gutter town is a good enough overview of most of what he's about

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciasVF9joks

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Here's something stupid I just found, idly looking through stuff:

I am bad and dumb at music, I know, but come the gently caress on, there has to be a more reasonable way to name that chord.

Prog is for nerds and I am not big enough of a nerd to play what I listen to.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Allen Wren posted:

I am bad and dumb at music, I know, but come the gently caress on, there has to be a more reasonable way to name that chord.

If the top line is the nut, and standard tuning is being used, that is just an E maj 7 chord lmbo

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

Allen Wren posted:

To simplify, it's just a Db minor add 9 (Db Fb Ab with an Eb), all that the /Fb part is telling you is that the 5th is in the bass. The add 9 is important because that tells you that this is a a Db minor triad with a 9th, if it was a Dbm9 there would be an implied 7th added into the mix.

It could also be considered an Fb maj7 add 6 - Fb Ab Cb (left out but the 5th in a 7th chord is the least important note) Eb with a Db

Once you start to get past basic triads and 7th chords, you start to end up with a bunch of ways to name chords that are largely dependent on chord function and whatever the person naming the chord feels like. Since we don't have any larger context for this chord other than the key, we can't really nail down the function so the name is pretty fluid, depending on how you feel like stacking the notes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Allen Wren posted:

The one thing about contemporary chord notation is that it seems more convoluted when it comes to inversions, basic chords are built with the tonic of the chord at the bottom but you have anything else on the bottom and you get and inversion. So notation like that is just saying Dbm(add9) over Fb. Fb is already in the chord, but it's just stating that the lowest note is the Fb rather than the Db. It's really stupid, since it's just a Dbm(add9) chord which is easier to read.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Yeah but they specifically want that voicing with the Fb in the bass/left hand of the piano. Chord changes are for bass players too.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

If the top line is the nut, and standard tuning is being used, that is just an E maj 7 chord lmbo

Yeah, it's in standard, and that's the nut, it'd have indicated a fret if it was further up.

Waldstein Sonata posted:

Since we don't have any larger context for this chord other than the key, we can't really nail down the function so the name is pretty fluid, depending on how you feel like stacking the notes.

Weird BIAS posted:

Yeah but they specifically want that voicing with the Fb in the bass/left hand of the piano. Chord changes are for bass players too.

In context and not at 3 am or whatever, it's pretty obviously to track the descending bassline through the few bars that line is part of.

Also in context, it's still incredibly nerdy poo poo.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Waldstein Sonata posted:

the /Fb part is telling you is that the 5th is in the bass.

3rd

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

Derp yes, the 3rd.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Fb is a fake idea

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Can we talk about double-sharps and double-flats? That's crazy talk.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TheChaosPath posted:

Fb is a fake idea

That and being in trouble, yes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Weird BIAS posted:

Bassist should just read the notes god drat it.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Can we talk about double-sharps and double-flats? That's crazy talk.

Yeah, when you're too far down the circle and you have to resort to that poo poo just transpose the piece.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

it's from The Onion

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dewgy posted:

it's from The Onion

A rare misstep!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

TheChaosPath posted:

Fb is a fake idea

ooooh maybe that was actually meant to be read as "play a D flat minor add 9 over Facebook"

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That and being in trouble, yes.

My man

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dewgy posted:

it's from The Onion

I hate the Onion but that gas cap at least looks ok?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hah I'm not even sorry for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPmWynoLze8

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want a holo guitar so bad

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jesus Christ. All of their cables are $100~ and up to $300+. Hahahahahaha

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now I just feel dumb for not selling snake oil to music chumps.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Snowy posted:

Now I just feel dumb for not selling snake oil to music chumps.

Tomorrow is a brand new day friend

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

In fairness to that facebook group, they savaged that guy.

edit: Also, in case one of you didn't absorb the juicy, tender LOL: they're called "evidence" audio.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I wish I still had pictures of the 3 band EQ I had to make in college that I half assed together and hour before it was due, call it an experimentally raw circuit or some poo poo. We got to pump whatever we wanted through it when demoing it for the TA so I thought this would hide the fact that the mid and bass bandwidths were pretty much stepping on each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggt7bSkQ0LA

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Jesus Christ. All of their cables are $100~ and up to $300+. Hahahahahaha

lol you can get a 150' spool of canare wire and enough fancy-pants connectors to make a half dozen cables for cheaper

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Allen Wren posted:

(Yes, let's make a clarinet in C so if you want to play anything written for clarinet in the last couple centuries or whatever, you gotta transpose a half-step. Good job. Let's also make it the same colors as the Florida Marlins.)
This is actually kinda cool for what it is, which is a cheap instrument for teaching kids to play something. Which are frequently in C even if the instrument they're based on is a transposing instrument. Are you going to blow a gasket about plastic fifes in C too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've been using George L's and Mogami cables for years with my strat and tele. I was always curious about the high-end cables though. Lyric HG KILLS George L's. It's like your guitar is in 1080p HD. Bass note definition is incredible, the mids are totally natural and uncolored, and the highs are all there (those who play fenders take note) but they're not harsh. The single notes bloom and have real 3D quality to them. If you know what dynamics are and actually use it in your playing you will be in tone heaven. You just feel more connected with this cable. Full chords and jazz chords is another area where you'll see improvement. It sounds like you have more headroom, volume and space all at the same time. The manual says it takes 40hrs to break it in with 80% after just 10hrs. I was impressed with this cable straight out the box and it only got better. It kind of creeps up on you and you find yourself smiling at the tones your getting out of your same old gear.

All this great sound does come at a price (and I don't mean $$$). The cable uses solid conductors and is very stiff and unwieldy. Not a problem if you use it in the studio or if you don't move around too much when you play. If you're going to be walking/jumping around the stage I would go with a different cable even if it didn't sound as amazing. Personally, I don't so I won't.

I think that anyone with a good rig and a decent set of ears will truly appreciate this cable and what it does for your tone. Especially if you're a guitar-to-amp kind of player.

• Locked thread