Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

now now, be nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

:gary: true. :yarg:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Interesting combo I saw in a competitive match which was 8v8 with 4 lights and 4 mediums.

This:

LCT-1E

plus this (roughly, I don't know the engine/ammo combo):

HBK-IIC

equals a lot of dead light/medium mechs very quickly. Maybe an option in scouting mode?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Flamers are excellent in scouting mode, but they require you to drop with three other people who are willing to take advantage of what you're doing. You also generally can't really afford to have an entire quarter of your team just flaming.

Instead I recommend having your Griffin bring two flamers on the IS side, or your Nova/laser Stormcrow bring two to four flamers for Clanners. Even two flamers can bring someone to shutdown pretty quickly, and being able to back that up with 10 small lasers means you're not really losing out on firepower that much. Might have to lose a little ammo or engine size to fit it in your Griffin depending on how you run it though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

aniviron posted:

Flamers are excellent in scouting mode, but they require you to drop with three other people who are willing to take advantage of what you're doing. You also generally can't really afford to have an entire quarter of your team just flaming.

Instead I recommend having your Griffin bring two flamers on the IS side, or your Nova/laser Stormcrow bring two to four flamers for Clanners. Even two flamers can bring someone to shutdown pretty quickly, and being able to back that up with 10 small lasers means you're not really losing out on firepower that much. Might have to lose a little ammo or engine size to fit it in your Griffin depending on how you run it though.

yeah I think part of the reason why it worked is that it was 1/8th of the team rather than 1/4th

also with six flamers you can use two to heat one mech up, then another two for another mech, and then the final two for another mech, which means you don't have to wait for them to cool down

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I said 4 years before, but that was that was just me spitballing it. But I happened across some old videos I uploaded and it turns out it was almost exactly 4 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZ9xoMPX3s

Published Dec 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58PQgwNZfxg

Published Dec 6, 2012

Back when I was so excited and this was gonna be great and making art and organizing poo poo and what not.

:smith:

Maybe If I give it another 4 years they'll actually finish catching up to their promises.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Pattonesque posted:

yeah I think part of the reason why it worked is that it was 1/8th of the team rather than 1/4th

also with six flamers you can use two to heat one mech up, then another two for another mech, and then the final two for another mech, which means you don't have to wait for them to cool down

They all share the same heat progression no matter how many you use. In scouting I would sometimes bring an eight flamer BJ1X and just run around in the brawls and torch everyone. I would get focused pretty quickly, but everyone else would clean up really quickly.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
kill all pubbies

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pubbies delenda est.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Buzzsaw Shadowcat
In honor of the MG buff in tomorrows patch, I constructed this abomination, then proceeded to actually do pretty well with it. I think we should group up and run massed Buzzsaws tomorrow.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 13, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Are only clan mgs buffed

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ZenVulgarity posted:

Are only clan mgs buffed

No, UM-60 gonna be fun.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Grognan posted:

No, UM-60 gonna be fun.

The arrow owns

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
So what is the plan for FW? Are we going to be syncing contracts? I see some goons as CSJ and then others as merc.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

johntherussian posted:

So what is the plan for FW? Are we going to be syncing contracts? I see some goons as CSJ and then others as merc.

GIRL CSJ contract ends today. I'm assuming we go with IS for both, considering what goons have for mechs?

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

Pattonesque posted:

GIRL CSJ contract ends today. I'm assuming we go with IS for both, considering what goons have for mechs?

If it IS, then Liao or FWL are both at 40% bonus.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

johntherussian posted:

If it IS, then Liao or FWL are both at 40% bonus.

I think the (green) birds need to come home to roost

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This will make my 6mg, lrm 40, 2lpl king crab a lot of fun :)

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The increased heat capacity for clans (now that they have the same as IS) is making laser boats on clan side really powerful.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
What a shocking and unexpected development.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Grognan posted:

The increased heat capacity for clans (now that they have the same as IS) is making laser boats on clan side really powerful.

what the???

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Guess I'm going to try this game. Aside from the stuff in the op, any other things to know?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

PathAsc posted:

Guess I'm going to try this game. Aside from the stuff in the op, any other things to know?

Yeah one thing you should know is the OP is outdated.

Avoid spending cbills or real money from your cadet bonus. Do the tutorials for around 5 mil easy cbills.

For good mechs to buy use the Metamechs site is a safeish bet, dont do the competitive teir crap the public queue stuff is fine.

Lots of goons don't like metamechs, yea it isnt perfect but its better than our OP, and better than some of the hot garbage I've seen run. Though you can trust me because i am smart

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Willfrey posted:

Avoid spending cbills or real money from your cadet bonus. Do the tutorials for around 5 mil easy cbills.

For good mechs to buy use the Metamechs site is a safeish bet, dont do the competitive teir crap the public queue stuff is fine.

Lots of goons don't like metamechs, yea it isnt perfect but its better than our OP, and better than some of the hot garbage I've seen run. Though you can trust me because i am smart

Cool, so does it even matter about the IS or Clan mechs? Can I just pick what suits my needs and still be ready for goon drops or is it not that easy now?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Willfrey posted:

Goons will tell you to drop in LBX shadowcats or something yeah so take our advice with a grain of salt.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I would be interested in joining up I kind of gave up on FW after some solo drops as a merc.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

gave up on FW after some solo drops as a merc.

yeah i wonder why

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

PathAsc posted:

Get on mumble. Ask questions. Stay in school until you've had enough. There IS sex in the "Champagne Room". You'll do fine.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

PathAsc posted:

Cool, so does it even matter about the IS or Clan mechs? Can I just pick what suits my needs and still be ready for goon drops or is it not that easy now?

Jack2142 posted:

I would be interested in joining up I kind of gave up on FW after some solo drops as a merc.

For me playing in the regular public queue is ten times more enjoyable than Faction Warfare. Goons seldom do Faction warfare anymore.

That being said, they are making significant changes to Faction Warfare so we will probably be playing that after the next patch to check it out only to give up on it again when getting shot to pieces by clan mechs boating ERLL's, because we love dropping as IS mechs in CW and never running ranged builds for some dumb reason.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

It isnt as if IS mechs have any brawling advantage now that they lost their heat capacity advantage.

Just pinpoint ACs, shorter duration lasers, and structure quirks now heh.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Artificer posted:

yeah i wonder why

Well yeah I realized it was awful and stopped doing that one match our team just died... like 48 - 2...

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jack2142 posted:

Well yeah I realized it was awful and stopped doing that one match our team just died... like 48 - 2...

If your first wave gets rolled have fun with the next three knowing its a 95% chance you already lost.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Bring back 8v8s only except in cw or something

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Artificer posted:

Goons will tell you to drop in LBX shadowcats or something yeah so take our advice with a grain of salt.

LBX is good though.

But they did some poo poo to the other shotgun of the game today, the SRM? Do they suck now and I have to rebuild my DaDC?

I might be on Thursday (today is PS4 day) after the inevitable hot fix and need to know if stuff has to be swapped.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

LBX is good though.

But they did some poo poo to the other shotgun of the game today, the SRM? Do they suck now and I have to rebuild my DaDC?

I might be on Thursday (today is PS4 day) after the inevitable hot fix and need to know if stuff has to be swapped.

Increased ghost heat penalties.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey fellow OldBirds, there was once a video of some other clan playing versus us. They used stupid comlang like danger close (incorrectly) and had to ask for permission to speak. They lost all while bitching about us and then for some reason posted the video of the them losing, then took it down. I know we got a copy and put it back up but I can't find it anymore. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Operation CAW CAW CAW was made in response to it.

Actually scratch that. I went to find a copy of Operation CAW CAW CAW and found both on the same account. Thank you Fil5000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-K1HhvaNNo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w13_uTNW7cc

Good stuff.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Hey 7 Cent. You looked like you were having fun in the Dragon tonight. Is this the right way to do it?

DRG-5N

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Grognan posted:

sounds like its time to reinstall and slay entire lances in a stormcrow again :pray:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Q_res posted:

Hey 7 Cent. You looked like you were having fun in the Dragon tonight. Is this the right way to do it?

DRG-5N

Close, this is how I run it. (armor distribution may vary)

DRG-5N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I like IS mechs but man XL engines are such a bonerkiller. I lean heavily towards heavier heavies and assaults as a result when looking at IS mechs.

• Locked thread