Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

davebo posted:

Am I just spoiled by Corvette aerodynamics or is 21mpg highway kind of garbage even for a 4k lbs sedan?

Edit: Nope, a regular v8 Charger weighs more, has way more power and is still getting 23mpg hwy.

Regular v8 charger has less hp than the SS; 370 vs 415.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
All Chargers get better fuel economy than SS.

Keyser S0ze posted:

My BMW F10 535 4,180 lb battle cruiser gets nearly 30mpg hwy chilling at 70......I only have 6 (manually activated) gears, too.

It gets is rear end kicked in town though (around 17mpg) and the 1st gear is really short and useless on a car this heavy.

The Charger is larger than a 7 series, your little babby car is comparable to the 200.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
holy crap, it feels giant to me. I think the 300c is still around 193 inches long though right?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

More like 198. That's the 200 on that chart.

protmind
Dec 25, 2007
Ho ho ho. Our F02 is 205 in. and weighs about 4,600 lbs. And gets 18-19 mpg on long trips. Jeez, what a barge.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Challenger has this (one) weird trick of sometimes looking huge and other times looking almost normal.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

El Scotch posted:

The Challenger has this (one) weird trick of sometimes looking huge and other times looking almost normal.

No, it always looks like a big fatty:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
It's crazy to me just how heavy cars have gotten. For over ten years I drove a 2002 Monte Carlo that was 198 inches long and only weighed 3340lbs. But I guess it all evens out because now I've got way more power in a slightly heavier car and I'm still getting better mpg.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

HotCanadianChick posted:

if that old Chally was parked next to a period 'Cuda you get almost the same effect

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

VikingSkull posted:

if that old Chally was parked next to a period 'Cuda you get almost the same effect

...and the current Challenger would look as big as Jupiter...

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So it looks like the ILX will finally get what it should of had when it was introduced like 3 years ago, anyone drive the TLX with the 8DCT?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Koirhor posted:

So it looks like the ILX will finally get what it should of had when it was introduced like 3 years ago, anyone drive the TLX with the 8DCT?

I had no idea the current ILX only had a 150hp motor. That is absolutely mental for a car pushing 30k.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bovril Delight posted:

I had no idea the current ILX only had a 150hp motor. That is absolutely mental for a car pushing 30k.

Whoa, seriously? I always thought they were like a 200HP K series or something.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

As far as I know, the old TSX motor with a 6spd manual has been an option in the ILX since they came out. But the base ILX is some sorry poo poo indeed.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
You can get the current Si drivetrain in it for $29k and change, as an option.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Q_res posted:

You can get the current Si drivetrain in it for $29k and change, as an option.

Not exactly. The ISX didn't have the limited slip. That, the lack of tech package, and the 6K price premium over the Si is why no one bought that trim. It's now being phased out, and all ISX's will have the base TLX drivetrain.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Acura's naming scheme blows rear end. Much like their car lineup.

Bring back the Legend!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Phone posted:

Acura's naming scheme blows rear end. Much like their car lineup.

Bring back the Legend!

Or the Integra (poo poo, even the TSX and the old TL. Those cars were loving good looking in 2005)

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Taco Box posted:

Or the Integra (poo poo, even the TSX and the old TL. Those cars were loving good looking in 2005)

I'm trying to think what a modern Integra would be like. It couldn't be anything close to what it was in the 90s because nobody would buy it. If it's going to be "sporty" then it has to at least be better than the Accord coupe, which is already over $30k.

This segment is just too hard to be in for Acura because Honda offer great cars for much cheaper. At least with Lexus the IS is RWD, so there's some differentiation. The Germans have no internal competition to worry about with their entry-level offerings. Honda needs to develop distinct platforms for Acura, or better yet, just fill their lineup with crossovers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Acura is selling gangbusters to people who want a honda but don't want a honda badge. The majority of the luxury car market is full of old boring shitlords who are the reason the ZDX exists.

As an enthusiast, it's best to just forget they ever made anything good, and ignore the brand completely.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Oh yes, you shall be mine. In about 6 months, and without that horrid colour. In manual please.

God bless salary packaging.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

El Scotch posted:

HotCanadianChick posted:

I always used to think my car was kind of big until:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Road_Warrior posted:

Oh yes, you shall be mine. In about 6 months, and without that horrid colour. In manual please.

God bless salary packaging.

Nice choice. So sad that'll be the last of the Falcon, but it's good they have given it a bit of a redesign before it goes out, rather than let it soldier on with the 2008 design

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cage posted:

:stare:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Holy gently caress

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

You Am I posted:

Nice choice. So sad that'll be the last of the Falcon, but it's good they have given it a bit of a redesign before it goes out, rather than let it soldier on with the 2008 design

Yes they could have just shut the doors last year and be done with it, but they came good with their promise and brought us this last one.

I figure by mid-next year the hoo-haa and initial demand will have died down and stealership prices will be more modest.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Cage posted:

Now put that SN96 next to a C7 and an S550 'Stang.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Beep beep!

You could fit two AZ-1s in that thing...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

I'm trying to think what a modern Integra would be like. It couldn't be anything close to what it was in the 90s because nobody would buy it. If it's going to be "sporty" then it has to at least be better than the Accord coupe, which is already over $30k.

This segment is just too hard to be in for Acura because Honda offer great cars for much cheaper. At least with Lexus the IS is RWD, so there's some differentiation. The Germans have no internal competition to worry about with their entry-level offerings. Honda needs to develop distinct platforms for Acura, or better yet, just fill their lineup with crossovers.

The ISX is a modern Integra. Remember that most Integras were just tarted up Civics.

TRANS AM 20000
Apr 17, 2010

Time to punch it!

88h88 posted:

Beep beep!

If those two got in a head-on crash, I think the GMC would just run that little thing over and crush the occupants neatly. :stonk:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

oRenj9 posted:

A modern Integra would be the 86/BRZ

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PeterWeller posted:

The ISX is a modern Integra. Remember that most Integras were just tarted up Civics.

The Integra initially slotted in between the Civic and Accord and was always its own distinct model (although it did share a lot with the Civic)

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Mange Mite posted:

A modern Integra would be the 86/BRZ

In spirit, yes, but in what Honda is serving us and expecting us to eat and like every bite, the ILX (a tarted Civic) is it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

There's no Mazda dealership within several hundred KM of my so I haven't had the opportunity to drive one yet, but everything I've read about the Mazda3's chassis and suspension design and dynamics suggests that the upcoming Mazdaspeed3 will be your modern ITR.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

dissss posted:

The Integra initially slotted in between the Civic and Accord and was always its own distinct model (although it did share a lot with the Civic)

It was based on the civic with a few upgrades and never had its own platform. It was a slightly bigger, slightly nicer, slightly sportier, or in other words, tarted up Civic. Aside from the size thing and disregarding the Si, that describes the ILX.

YF19pilot posted:

In spirit, yes, but in what Honda is serving us and expecting us to eat and like every bite, the ILX (a tarted Civic) is it.

The FRS is maybe a spritual successor to the GSR or ITR, but it's definitely not a spiritual successor to the LS trims.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PeterWeller posted:

It was based on the civic with a few upgrades and never had its own platform. It was a slightly bigger, slightly nicer, slightly sportier, or in other words, tarted up Civic. Aside from the size thing and disregarding the Si, that describes the ILX.

It was its own platform and its own distinct model.

e. I'm probably misusing the term 'platform'

dissss fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 1, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

dissss posted:

It was totally a distinct model, but it was based on the Civic. What I mean by 'platform' is that its hardpoints and basic layout are derived from its Civic contemporary. It's more than just a badge engineering deal, but it's still closely based on the parent design. It was essentially a Civic+, which accurately describes the ILX, especially the updated version.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

General Wiggles posted:

If those two got in a head-on crash, I think the GMC would just run that little thing over and crush the occupants neatly. :stonk:

If you were driving the GMC I doubt you'd even notice if you'd ran over the AZ-1.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dissss posted:

It was a variant of the Civic platform, not a distinct architecture.

The ILX is literally exactly the same as the Integra, there just isn't a particularly sporty version that's any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
GM has apprently made it a goal to drive Acura out of business - Buick has recreated Acura's lineup pretty much model for model, except the 2.4l is standard and you can actually get the 2.0T with a stick.