Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mastershakeman posted:

my friend is still on sero. if he buys a Nexus can he activate it and keep his plan? I can't figure out this sero change stuff on this page. does the $15 loyalty discount stack?

I think it he outright buys it he's good, the mystery is what happens when someone tries to upgrade a SERO phone and get the subsidized version rather than leasing the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I should think that buying the phone would simply require an ESN swap on Sprint's part, no major plan changes required.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Medullah posted:

I think it he outright buys it he's good, the mystery is what happens when someone tries to upgrade a SERO phone and get the subsidized version rather than leasing the phone.

Wife did it last month, no problem. First time I was able to order and activate completely online (usually I had to call the SERO number for activation).

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Is Sprint Spark still a thing? Like if I get a Note 7, can I still not call and use data at the same time?

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's annoying as poo poo.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Revitalized posted:

Is Sprint Spark still a thing? Like if I get a Note 7, can I still not call and use data at the same time?

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's annoying as poo poo.

They just need to enable VoLTE already. Maybe next year!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

Maybe next year!

Sprint's official motto.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Does anyone know if you can cancel a line of service (tablet data plan) through chat or do I need to call in?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've been using the Everything Data Share 1500 plan for 3 years here, and it looks like we'll be getting new phones soon. So I should probably bail on Sprint? I'm paying roughly $250/mo now for 3 smartphones and a dumbphone. I get a slight discount through work, but I believe I can get a discount from other carriers too.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Google Fi for the win.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've been using the Everything Data Share 1500 plan for 3 years here, and it looks like we'll be getting new phones soon. So I should probably bail on Sprint? I'm paying roughly $250/mo now for 3 smartphones and a dumbphone. I get a slight discount through work, but I believe I can get a discount from other carriers too.

FWIW, I have the same plan, paying $150ish for 2 lines with unlimited everything. I plan on keeping this plan for the contract upgrades.

All other carriers are moving towards installments and leasing. I generally keep my phone for 2 years, so paying $200 for iPhone 7 is a no brainer.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Went to the Sprint store at 10am and they had a system crash for like an hour. Eventually they got my 7+\matte black\128 through for release day, so if you want it on day one that may be a way better option than dealing with the online system

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

glassyalabolas posted:

FWIW, I have the same plan, paying $150ish for 2 lines with unlimited everything. I plan on keeping this plan for the contract upgrades.

All other carriers are moving towards installments and leasing. I generally keep my phone for 2 years, so paying $200 for iPhone 7 is a no brainer.
You can keep your plan now? Last I checked, I would have lost it when updating my contract. The problem there might be that I want to drop one of the lines we're maintaining on it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bloodysabbath posted:

Went to the Sprint store at 10am and they had a system crash for like an hour. Eventually they got my 7+\matte black\128 through for release day, so if you want it on day one that may be a way better option than dealing with the online system

Ah I did the online thing this morning (I also went 7+ matte black 128gb).

Question all my lines for awhile have said I could upgrade anytime despite the fact all of them are on iPhone 4ever plans. I thought you had to do at least 12 monthly payments on your current phone. Last year I signed up for deal last August where you could get the 6, but upgrade to the 6s when it came out for no extra cost. I didn't pick-up my 6s until like the middle of October. Still I was able to upgrade today with the $10 discount? I am confused.

Also is there any difference between the 17 month and 18 month plan outside of one requires a down payment of $100 and the other is $7 more but no down payment? They both are iPhone 4ever plans?

One last thing are these plans truly iPhone 4ever? Aren't they really just whatever phone you want? It looked like I could of switched from iPhone to the Samsung Galaxy 7 on the exact same deal?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
If you're on a vanilla Sprint plan without any discounts *and* use American Airlines AAdvantage, you can get a free 5000 miles per year just for having a phone.

Sprint.com/aadvantage (there may be others like Delta SkyMiles or United MileagePlus too, but I didn't try)

The dick move is that it invalidates you from any Sprint Discount Plan discounts, so be advised.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ryanbruce posted:

If you're on a vanilla Sprint plan without any discounts *and* use American Airlines AAdvantage, you can get a free 5000 miles per year just for having a phone.

Sprint.com/aadvantage (there may be others like Delta SkyMiles or United MileagePlus too, but I didn't try)

The dick move is that it invalidates you from any Sprint Discount Plan discounts, so be advised.

So I would assume SERO isn't a contender for that? :(

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

nate fisher posted:

Ah I did the online thing this morning (I also went 7+ matte black 128gb).

Question all my lines for awhile have said I could upgrade anytime despite the fact all of them are on iPhone 4ever plans. I thought you had to do at least 12 monthly payments on your current phone. Last year I signed up for deal last August where you could get the 6, but upgrade to the 6s when it came out for no extra cost. I didn't pick-up my 6s until like the middle of October. Still I was able to upgrade today with the $10 discount? I am confused.

Also is there any difference between the 17 month and 18 month plan outside of one requires a down payment of $100 and the other is $7 more but no down payment? They both are iPhone 4ever plans?

One last thing are these plans truly iPhone 4ever? Aren't they really just whatever phone you want? It looked like I could of switched from iPhone to the Samsung Galaxy 7 on the exact same deal?

You were targeted for an early upgrade to get you into the 7.

The difference is the down payment.

You can upgrade to any phone when you're upgrading, but only the iPhone carry the 12 month upgrade option. Upgrading out if iPhone you lose that.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The 17 month agreement makes you pay $198 at the end of the 17 months to own the phone. Basically seems like the down payment plan doesn't make sense if you plan on trading in, especially in 12 months.

I could see it being OK if you plan to give the phone as hand me downs to a spouse or somebody every 18 months.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Re: the possible increased price of SERO, I just re-upped for another 2 years and they haven't tried to get me to pay more yet. I won't actually be activating the subsidized phone on my account so I don't expect to have any issues past this point.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Question. I got my iPhone 7 plus from the iPhone Forever plan, and mailed Sprint back my 6s which they got Friday morning. I noticed on my account I have two new charges. One is for a lease cancellation charge of 232.39 and another is for $179 for device not returned. I know once Sprint checks my 6s out they will credit my bill did the $179.00, but will they credit back the lease cancellation fee? I'm so confused right now by the iPhone Forever process I feel like I screwed up. As I said before did the thing back in August 2015 where you could get a 6 and upgrade to the 6s when it came out (which I did early October 2015 I think).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Question. I got my iPhone 7 plus from the iPhone Forever plan, and mailed Sprint back my 6s which they got Friday morning. I noticed on my account I have two new charges. One is for a lease cancellation charge of 232.39 and another is for $179 for device not returned. I know once Sprint checks my 6s out they will credit my bill did the $179.00, but will they credit back the lease cancellation fee? I'm so confused right now by the iPhone Forever process I feel like I screwed up. As I said before did the thing back in August 2015 where you could get a 6 and upgrade to the 6s when it came out (which I did early October 2015 I think).

Iphone forever has an 18 month lease attached to it. Which means that if you upgrade "early", you still owe money on the old phone. Not really a scam, but definitely kinda scummy.

Their FAQ

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Medullah posted:

Iphone forever has an 18 month lease attached to it. Which means that if you upgrade "early", you still owe money on the old phone. Not really a scam, but definitely kinda scummy.

Their FAQ

Reading that all I get is you can upgrade after 12 payments. I don't see it saying you still have to pay for old phone. When I did the upgrade it told me I owed nothing now, but I would have to pay a penalty if I didn't mail the phone back.

I did call Sprint, and they told me that the balance should be adjusted to zero once they process my old phone. That said I am not 100% they knew what they was talking about.

It is just I'm worrisome because 4 of my lines are iPhone Forevers. I request upgrades on the other 3 lines on Friday. That could be a nightmare. I would just return my 7 Plus, and from here on out get my phones directly leased from Apple since they are every 12 months.

I think I'm just going to go to store and ask them directly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do not under any circumstances believe anything Sprint support tells you. Their support is entirely contract in India and they will just tell you what they think you want to hear to make you happy. They have constantly lied to me in the three years that I have been a Sprint customer.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Okay thanks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Reading these stories of Sprints scummy practices when it comes to leased phones has me worried about sending in my Galaxy S5 in December when my lease is up. I can't wait to get rid of this phone but I just know Sprint is going to attempt to get as much money out of me and they are going to make it super complicated and frustrating. I expect i'll be losing over $200 no matter what in order to leave Sprint after my lease and contract are over.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

I said come in! posted:

Reading these stories of Sprints scummy practices when it comes to leased phones has me worried about sending in my Galaxy S5 in December when my lease is up. I can't wait to get rid of this phone but I just know Sprint is going to attempt to get as much money out of me and they are going to make it super complicated and frustrating. I expect i'll be losing over $200 no matter what in order to leave Sprint after my lease and contract are over.

I had a telesales person lie to me about a free tablet's contract length. He told me 1 year. I just called to cancel the service and was told it was a 2 year deal. The end result was a credit to my account and they put me on a $2.50 plan until it is over... so a wash, but still scummy.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
When I ordered my phone they included all the contract details. I haven't shipped the 6s+ back yet but there was a buy out price if you wanted to keep it. 10 days to return it and the usual it can take a bill cycle or two blah blah blah.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Always record service center calls as a habit. It will be second nature and will save your rear end. There are a million apps for just this purpose.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Medullah posted:

Iphone forever has an 18 month lease attached to it. Which means that if you upgrade "early", you still owe money on the old phone.

After 12 payments you can upgrade without fee if you return the device.

Stay on support about getting that poo poo waived.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

JHVH-1 posted:

When I ordered my phone they included all the contract details. I haven't shipped the 6s+ back yet but there was a buy out price if you wanted to keep it. 10 days to return it and the usual it can take a bill cycle or two blah blah blah.

Pretty much what I thought. Right now according to my bill online I owe them around $1,500. This includes my regular Sprint bill + 3 iPhones 6s with leases I need them to credit back to my account.

I did call them, and they told me just to pay my regular Sprint bill portion, not the $1,500. Still if they charge me a late charge it is going to be fun (you know they will).

Edit: Also from what I understand if you do the upgrade in the store, and give them your old device this is not a problem. So next year I will be doing that, instead of the online order.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

nate fisher posted:

Pretty much what I thought. Right now according to my bill online I owe them around $1,500. This includes my regular Sprint bill + 3 iPhones 6s with leases I need them to credit back to my account.

I did call them, and they told me just to pay my regular Sprint bill portion, not the $1,500. Still if they charge me a late charge it is going to be fun (you know they will).

Edit: Also from what I understand if you do the upgrade in the store, and give them your old device this is not a problem. So next year I will be doing that, instead of the online order.

Billing assumes you're not going to return the phone, or it will be damaged,, so they add the charge. Then when they get the phone they waive it off. Going to the store has it's own policy where they confirm receipt of the phone.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

nate fisher posted:

Well that would be nice if you could do that. When I first signed up for the lease last year the support chat said I could drop the phone off at the store and then I got to the store and had to sit in the store and call support that told me they would mail the return kit they forgot to send.

This time I got the return kit along with the new phone. I see this on my account:

quote:

09/24/16 Upgrade Lease Credit $-10.00
09/26/16 INST:Lease Cancellation Charge WEB-L-### $275.64
09/26/16 INST:Lease Dvc Non RTN Fee WEB-L-###### $191.00

Also it looks like they snuck in a $5 add on to have nights and weekends start earlier or some crap. Probably didn't see that when I was activating my phone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It took about 2 weeks, but I finally did get the lease cancellation charge and DVC Non RTN fee credited back on my account for the first phone I returned. So in the end not too bad (better than a couple of billing cycles). I still have 2 more returns out, but I am hopeful they will be resolved by end of month. So good job Sprint for doing it correctly I guess.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I realize this is more of a tech support request, but it is specifically regarding Sprint so...

I work in an IT department for a smallish company and starting a few days ago a bunch of our Sprint users stopped being able to get mail on the phones. iPhone, Android, doesn't matter. As soon as they are on wireless, any wireless, it works just fine. I am just finding out about it now because our users are fairly laid back. Using Safari to browse to the webmail site also times out. Using a DNS / Tracert tool, DNS seems correct and there is nothing obviously wrong with any of the hops.

Does anyone have a clue? Going to call into Sprint support tomorrow, but was hoping someone here had run into a similar issue. I don't have an account with them, so that will be fun. Thanks Team Barry!

[Edit: This is to an Exchange 2010 server using ActiveSync, so HTTP/S.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 5, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

So I realize this is more of a tech support request, but it is specifically regarding Sprint so...

I work in an IT department for a smallish company and starting a few days ago a bunch of our Sprint users stopped being able to get mail on the phones. iPhone, Android, doesn't matter. As soon as they are on wireless, any wireless, it works just fine. I am just finding out about it now because our users are fairly laid back. Using Safari to browse to the webmail site also times out. Using a DNS / Tracert tool, DNS seems correct and there is nothing obviously wrong with any of the hops.

Does anyone have a clue? Going to call into Sprint support tomorrow, but was hoping someone here had run into a similar issue. I don't have an account with them, so that will be fun. Thanks Team Barry!

[Edit: This is to an Exchange 2010 server using ActiveSync, so HTTP/S.]

Strange but that could be some sort of routing issue based on the tower they are connecting to or backend that Sprint is using for the backhaul. By chance if they try at a different location do they have the same issue?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We have had reports of the issue in different areas, but we only have 1 location so when IT is confirming it is all likely off the same tower. Still haven't sorted it out yet, but I'll report in when I find out what is going on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So after ah... Almost 5 hours on the phone with them I got Sprint to open a ticket with their network team to have them troubleshoot the issue I mentioned where a bunch of my users can't access our email server. Yay?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Got a call back from Sprint's "networking team." Their solution? Install the latest phone OS and uninstall / reinstall the mail apps. Yeah, I won't be doing that. Guess I get to tell my users that they should switch carriers if they want to get their email on their phones!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Good job Sprint.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
My lands. I was driving home last night in the rain and I couldn't get a drat signal at all the spots I usually get a decent LTE signal. It kept dropping data completely or dropping to a very weak 3G signal.

Is there something to Sprints spectrum that is sensitive to rain?

I can't believe I still have SERO. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh well.. unlimited data. Right? Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Got a call back from Sprint's "networking team." Their solution? Install the latest phone OS and uninstall / reinstall the mail apps. Yeah, I won't be doing that. Guess I get to tell my users that they should switch carriers if they want to get their email on their phones!

Retarded Tier 1 level response of course, but that is a really strange issue. I haven't had an issue ever with ports on LTE tethering or otherwise so it is strange how it is blocking e-mail of all things.

Any chance you guys have tried a VPN though LTE to see if that breaks the curse?

^^^ Depends where you are at. I haven't had so much trouble with the rain, as I have with the backhaul of areas being affected. During the last storm in my area with some pretty good Lightning storm downpours, I had data both with LTE and my home Microwave wireless, up until it seemed the backhaul for both died around 10PM at night. The Microwave stuff was up and down a bunch the next day, with the Sprint stuff being back up and reliable the same day. :/

I realllly hope the company that does our Microwave stuff, gets bought out by Google Fiber to allow us to get something like 100Mbit Wireless since they are the only name in town to offer Wireless, and there isn't a snowballs chance in hell we are ever getting Fiber or even Cable in our area in the next 50 years at this rate.

We can be gently caress Sprint all we want here, but really, in the US, gently caress all ISP's that are part of the Megacorp level. Only the small guys (like our Microwave team) seem to still have the Customer Experience above rock bottom without data caps, good customer service and techs, and even without perfect reliability, they at least are bringing something to people who can otherwise get bent by anyone else to get the same service. ($20K to get wave fiber :v: )

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 7, 2016