Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Procedurals don't have meandering plots, they have episodic content. By the very nature of the show, once an episode is done, the plot is done, and the next episode is another plot. A meandering plot is something like Smallville, where there's an obvious overarching story but the show seems loath to get to it.

A lot of them have a b plot that lasts for several episodes or an entire season. But you're correct, it's not a perfect comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Skwirl posted:

Is the cast likeable in Runaways, a likeable cast with a meandering story is usually tolerable (see every successful network procedural with 24 episodes a season that lasts a billion years).

Most of the cast is likeable but:

Lurdiak posted:

Procedurals don't have meandering plots, they have episodic content. By the very nature of the show, once an episode is done, the plot is done, and the next episode is another plot. A meandering plot is something like Smallville, where there's an obvious overarching story but the show seems loath to get to it.

This. That said, it is probably an easier binge watch than the once a week way most probably watched it. But the show definitely dragged its feet to get anywhere interesting. Also the show has some of the worst action scenes in a comic adaptation to date.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I watched episode 2 of Legion today and I feel like it filled in a lot of the gaps, I 'get' the show more now and understand more about the characters (even the ones with GLaDOS' voice) . It's a very interesting show.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been catching up on Riverdale and that show has gotten extremely :wtf:

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Endless Mike posted:

I've been catching up on Riverdale and that show has gotten extremely :wtf:

Yeah, it's always watchable (though I wonder how it would be watched in big chunks rather than weekly?) but the show absolutely lurches in tone and escalation to quiet and back again. I do worry it's gonna absolutely jump the shark fairly soon, but the cast makes up for a lot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Man, Black Lightning is as good as advertised. Really good cast, and I love the way they skipped the origin stuff and set it a number of years after he'd retired.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

zoux posted:

Man, Black Lightning is as good as advertised. Really good cast, and I love the way they skipped the origin stuff and set it a number of years after he'd retired.

Yeah, that show is really good. Everything is on point from the actors, the situations, the lack of the signature CW “manufactured drama”, to the kick rear end soundtrack. My only complaint is the season finale seemed a bit rushed and was a little disappointing to me. But really, that’s minor nit-pick, and I highly recommend the show to others.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

zoux posted:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Latest (last?) Cloak and Dagger trailer

A wee bit different than what I expected? Not in a bad way, more in an "oh there's stuff now" way.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

ToastyPotato posted:

This. That said, it is probably an easier binge watch than the once a week way most probably watched it. But the show definitely dragged its feet to get anywhere interesting. Also the show has some of the worst action scenes in a comic adaptation to date.

I actually just got through binging season 1 and can definitely say that I enjoyed it a lot in that format. Seeing it one week at a time would have probably hurt it, but I actually enjoyed the slower pace anyway. Comic Runaways writes the parents out really fast, so I’m glad they’re managing to get a lot of good material out of it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/WriterRAS/status/991701871340478464

I am oddly and unreasonably excited for this series and keeping the title just increases that level.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Swamp Thing TV series? I'm down.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/05/02/...tm_content=Link

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crossposting
https://twitter.com/TheDCUniverse/status/991761898822488064

quote:

The service, which has yet to announce a launch date, is described as “a first-of-its-kind, immersive digital experience designed just for DC fans.” And, as part of subscribing (for an as-yet-unannounced price point), you’ll get “unlimited access” to its exclusive original series. Those being Titans, Young Justice Outsiders, and Harley Quinn

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Hopefully it will be a straight up horror show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I still think this is not the best idea. Is it also going to have a Marvel Unlimited style comic library on demand? A handful of shows and a bunch of old cartoons doesn't really seem worth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

I still think this is not the best idea. Is it also going to have a Marvel Unlimited style comic library on demand? A handful of shows and a bunch of old cartoons doesn't really seem worth.

Supposedly it's everything. Every DC show, film and comic. Even the weird old serials are supposed to be on it at some point.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Supposedly it's everything. Every DC show, film and comic. Even the weird old serials are supposed to be on it at some point.

Even the current CW stuff? Or is the deal with Netflix going to mean they get their own shows after a third party does?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Eh, I already have Batman: The Animated Series on DVD.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

Even the current CW stuff? Or is the deal with Netflix going to mean they get their own shows after a third party does?

I don't know, I'd assume there will be shared content at some point. I doubt the CW app is going anywhere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of interesting that it sounds like they're writing out the respective spouses in order to make Abby and Swamp Thing's hookup easier.

Now I'm wondering if they'll keep the whole thing where he isn't Alec Holland.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So that one is direct to the service. I'd rather more shows for the CW, keep that sandbox growing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rhyno posted:

So that one is direct to the service. I'd rather more shows for the CW, keep that sandbox growing.

If the service proves remotely successful, I can see WB pivoting to it over CW hard, as they only have half ownership over CW. That said, this is the same company that is still selling off TV rights to competing companies despite doing well with its own properties and networks so who knows?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

East of West could be absolutely incredible if they don't cheap out.

Wasn't much a fan of it reading the first volume.

Manhattan Projects should be adapted instead.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

RevKrule posted:

https://twitter.com/WriterRAS/status/991701871340478464

I am oddly and unreasonably excited for this series and keeping the title just increases that level.

the source material is very strong, I can easily see it being great

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

quote:

Based on the comics by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson, the one-hour Swamp Thing drama will be written by Mark Verheiden (Daredevil, Ash vs. Evil Dead) and Gary Dauberman (It). Greg Berlanti (Arrow, The Flash) will write and produce the Titans series alongside Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind).

That’s a real rollercoaster of talent there, not sure exactly how I feel about it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gotham introduced their latest move towards the Joker with this week's Jeremiah reveal. Kind of funny how this new version is the complete opposite of Jerome's take on the character.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 5, 2018

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

LGD posted:

the source material is very strong, I can easily see it being great

With the caveat they'll completely overtake it in about 6 episodes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Did everyone just sleep on this or what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1in0KkoG4

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Samuringa posted:

It was literally published 57 minutes ago.

Looks pretty good, though.

Hopefully, they can avoid the "best villain is actually not really the villain and disappears halfway through the show" pratfall of the first season.

Also, isn't Cage still technically on the run?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone's still smarting from IF and Defenders.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hopefully, they can avoid the "best villain is actually not really the villain and disappears halfway through the show" pratfall of the first season.

I think he got cleared in Defenders.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skwirl posted:

I think he got cleared in Defenders.

Luke's introduction in Defenders is Foggy getting him released from prison.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I have no idea why they bothered ending S1 that way when Defenders was coming up.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Eh, there's nothing wrong with two 6-episode plots. JJ s1 would have benefited from something breaking up the purple man story (or just fewer episodes). Cage's problem was that the 2nd plot with Diamondback was terrible, and the season on the whole felt like it was trying to avoid being a superhero show (which imo has plagued a lot of Netflix shows).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The entire Luke & Claire roadtrip was also terrible

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

I have no idea why they bothered ending S1 that way when Defenders was coming up.

So Claire would be living alone in Iron Fist.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Luke Cage does seem to be set up for the two halves, two villain thing (New guy + Mariah & Shades) but it can easily avoid the problem of the first season by introducing the new guy early enough to develop him and not giving him a lovely cosplay costume. Considering he's in the trailer more than (and showing up before the others) it seems like they might have gone that route.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Luke Cage had a great villain. Then sucked afterwards.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Samuringa posted:

It looks kinda generic but also kinda cool, which is just about quintessential Luke Cage I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Samuringa posted:

"Sometimes brutality gets poo poo done."

:thunk: