Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Stop posting popular opinions here

What qualifies as an unpopular opinion amongst goons and the general public is basically night and day and op never actually clarified what they were going for with it. Basic bitches love Blizzard and their crap games.

More appropriate thread title would have been "Dump yer worst shitposts here and see if they start a slapfight or a circlejerk"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All my opinions are authentically homegrown.

Like the only good Megamans have both a dash/slide and a charge shot. The hoverskates count, gently caress you.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Yup. The most popular map on SC/BW was Big Game Hunters, a map famous for giving every base a chokepoint you could easily defend, a close natural expansion and more resources than a standard starting position would give you. The most common way of playing this map was 4v4 AI. People loved just turtling in their base and teching up to the late-game capital ships and attack move throughout the map. There are probably more people that played the game setting than have finished the campaign.

Supreme Commander / Forged Alliance is great for this. You can even build artillery with such long range you can just shell the enemy base to death.

Yeah Supreme Commander rules, the last great RTS.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

i've never played a video game for longer than 150 hours and that was witcher 3 with all the expansions

Apparently, I played a lot of games for hundreds of hours which have their own launcher launched from steam.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, the most played game on Steam last I heard is Civilization V. I can believe it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

he means $60/year but probably not thousands of hours per year like that's pretty easy to understand unless you're a grade schooler

like he's playing the game for multiple years but only spending $60/year how is that hard to understand

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 20, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Supreme Commander was a bad game and a huge disappointment because I was basically expecting More Total Annihilation but got some bullshit game instead

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

The hoverskates count, gently caress you.

MML has hover skates but no charged shot

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
miyamoto's weird rear end hobbies like measuring poo poo and loving his dogs is not cute but actually deeply disturbing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

MML has hover skates but no charged shot

Thats why its not good!!!

Or more acurately for some reason I remembered a charge buster part but nope RIP me cursed to maintain my position forever.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Can't wait for the incoherent mess Death Stranding is going to be. Feels like I still have PTSD from the hours upon hours of cutscenes in MGS 4.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
Mass Effect: Andromeda wasn't actually that bad.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

mass effect andromeda was no worse than mass effect 3, it was just bad in different ways

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I guess "sensible video game opinions" is kind of the same thing as unpopular videogame opinions.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

TigerXtrm posted:

It was terrible, uninspired and filled with boring tedium. Full of generic side-quests that hop around the galaxy to maximize time spent in loading screens and uninteresting characters. All built on top of a stupid story about space-imperialists bringing civilization to the savages of another galaxy.

Also, all those dumb temples that were just tedious to navigate and made no sense from an architectural standpoint.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also for wasting what could have been a really fun story and evolution of Mass Effect gameplay on... well, what Andromeda went with

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bioware games are bad. Bethesda games are bad. Blizzard games are bad.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bethesda games arguably aren't even games

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

he means $60/year but probably not thousands of hours per year like that's pretty easy to understand unless you're a grade schooler

like he's playing the game for multiple years but only spending $60/year how is that hard to understand

Ah yes thank you for explaining that to me. I feel very dumb. Thousands of hours on the same game is much less stupid if it's spread over 5 years.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Choice in RPGs should be limited to - what order do you want to do these things in, not - which of these mutually exclusive things do you want to do.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

choices in rpgs are all about which character to gently caress

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

DebonaireD posted:

Choice in RPGs should be limited to - what order do you want to do these things in, not - which of these mutually exclusive things do you want to do.

Do you mean like Alpha Protocol where you essentially do every mission in any order (barring a couple of small ones that you only get with certain decisions) but the story and character interactions change radically based on your choices, or do you mean like Skyrim where poo poo makes absolutely no sense because you're the archmage despite barely being able to cast a novice spell, and also you're the head of the thieves guild even though you've never stolen anything?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Quote-Unquote posted:

Do you mean like Alpha Protocol where you essentially do every mission in any order (barring a couple of small ones that you only get with certain decisions) but the story and character interactions change radically based on your choices, or do you mean like Skyrim where poo poo makes absolutely no sense because you're the archmage despite barely being able to cast a novice spell, and also you're the head of the thieves guild even though you've never stolen anything?

Never worked a day in your life for all that coin you're carrying eh

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Caesar Saladin posted:

choices in rpgs are all about which character to gently caress

Again it should only apply as far as which order you do it in

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

TigerXtrm posted:

technically it's better than me3 because of the jetpack

mass effect 1 is the best but everyone knows this

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Terra Nova is one of the best games ever

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

I meant the skyrim model is better, but these are very very different games. I liked Alpha Protocol's conversations, the way things you did and said earlier carried over into later dialogue. But my single playthrough saw like, what, 1/4 of the content they made for that game? It's cool in theory that the game is very dynamic even beyond what you might guess would be possible, but I'm not gonna play it 4 more times because it kinda sucked the first time through, gameplay wise. Branching storylines are a huge waste of effort and I'd rather they put their time and money into making 1 good story that I can pick and choose parts of that look interesting to me.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

DebonaireD posted:

I meant the skyrim model is better, but these are very very different games. I liked Alpha Protocol's conversations, the way things you did and said earlier carried over into later dialogue. But my single playthrough saw like, what, 1/4 of the content they made for that game? It's cool in theory that the game is very dynamic even beyond what you might guess would be possible, but I'm not gonna play it 4 more times because it kinda sucked the first time through, gameplay wise. Branching storylines are a huge waste of effort and I'd rather they put their time and money into making 1 good story that I can pick and choose parts of that look interesting to me.

you're basically arguing for more fallout 4, a fake RPG that railroads you down the only path they bothered to write

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

DebonaireD posted:

I think you're overvaluing 'content'. You probably did everything there was to actually do in Alpha Protocol in one playthrough (apart from one really tiny mission that is missable that i can think of, maybe). You're missing a few variations on a couple of fights plus different dialogue and cut scenes because it was a version of the story tailored to you. The actual gameplay doesn't change very much at all - all the missions and the objectives within are functionally identical.

It's like saying that you missed out on 75% of Skyrim because you were a stealth archer instead of a wizard, fighter or naked catlady permanently off your tits on skooma

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

I think you're overvaluing 'content'. You probably did everything there was to actually do in Alpha Protocol in one playthrough (apart from one really tiny mission that is missable that i can think of, maybe). You're missing a few variations on a couple of fights plus different dialogue and cut scenes because it was a version of the story tailored to you. The actual gameplay doesn't change very much at all - all the missions and the objectives within are functionally identical.

It's like saying that you missed out on 75% of Skyrim because you were a stealth archer instead of a wizard, fighter or naked catlady permanently off your tits on skooma

all books are basically the same because you're just turning page 1, page 2, etc. every time with slightly different words

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

poverty goat posted:

all books are basically the same because you're just turning page 1, page 2, etc. every time with slightly different words

hmm no

if you read a book outside in the sun it's still the same book as if you read it on the toilet though, you just experienced the content slightly differently.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

still, books have terrible, repetitive gameplay that never changes between playthroughs

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

poverty goat posted:

still, books have terrible, repetitive gameplay that never changes between playthroughs

what about choose your own adventure books, smart guy?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

they should just focus on one good story. with gameplay so repetitive ill only play it once anyway

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

tbf lots of my favourite games have poo poo/annoying gameplay but I still love them (ultima 7, alpha protocol, yakuza 0)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

apex legends is kinda neat and i wish i didn't suck so loving badly at it.

i was good at titanfall 2, what the gently caress.

Quote-Unquote posted:

lol the CYA book company sued netflix over bandersnatch because they said it was too dark and would tarnish their brand and i'm sitting there just thinking of all the CYA books i read as a kid where you'd take a wrong choice early on and get like hit by a car or something, those books were brutal

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
They sued because Netflix explicitly referred to the fictional Bandersnatch book as a "Choose Your Own Adventure", which Netflix had already attempted and failed to get permission to use the trademark for but decided to go ahead and use anyway.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

food court bailiff posted:

lol the CYA book company sued netflix over bandersnatch because they said it was too dark and would tarnish their brand and i'm sitting there just thinking of all the CYA books i read as a kid where you'd take a wrong choice early on and get like hit by a car or something, those books were brutal

I recall lots of 'you get eaten' and things of that nature, which is a pretty loving horrifying way to die.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mass effect andromeda may be fine now but they shipped a hilariously broken game and it's EA and I decided to stop buying EA games after i got burned on sim city 2013, and I've never looked back. I might be sad if i liked sports games but i think those are poo poo mostly so im insanely free to ficking hate EA

If they somehow make a game i want to play Im still never gonna pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Supreme Commander Forged Alliance was a bad game and a huge disappointment because I was basically expecting More Total Annihilation but got some bullshit game instead

Fixed