Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sauer posted:

unless you're Canadian. ORM-D is just the worst for any hobbyist.

a guy in quebec has a store that sells dev chemistry and had rollei kits with separate bleach and fix but iirc he couldn't import them anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ET_375
Nov 20, 2013

Sauer posted:

Yeah but you're pretty much gonna have to buy "small photolab" amounts of chemistry with a Kodak Flexicolor or Fuji Hunt kit to get separate bleach and fix. Very economical way to go if you plan to develop a hundred rolls of film in the next year though... unless you're Canadian. ORM-D is just the worst for any hobbyist.

If you're in the US, Unique Photo ships most chems with no problem. I think Kodak discontinued the small quantity (1.2l) package, but you can get fixer and bleach in 5l amounts from them. Bleach is expensive, there's really no way around it, even mixing it up yourself. They say replenisher but you can just use as-is. Personally I'd keep the C-41 and b&w fixer separate but I haven't heard any reason why you couldn't run both film thru the same chem, and the C-41 fixer will work for both. Separate bleach/fix will have finer grain than blix, if you're fine with another chemical in your process.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

polyester concept posted:

a guy in quebec has a store that sells dev chemistry and had rollei kits with separate bleach and fix but iirc he couldn't import them anymore :(

The rollei kits are easily the best c41 chems, they can be used at room temp, and the unused chems keep for a very long time making the big kits really good value.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hi thread, I still shoot my dad's old Minolta SRT-102 because I love it and I am good with it, and also because I bought some good used lenses for it when I was in high school and there were still camera stores in existence, and now besides loving my film camera I don't want to have to re-buy lenses for a DSLR so I never bothered getting one.

However here is one lens I bought way back then, shortly before I stopped using it for a while, and have recently started playing around with again. And I have a question! Help please?

It's a nice tele mirror lens, and it's turning out to be great for wildlife photography. I've been having fun snapping birds and deer.

But: the aperture ring doesn't turn! Is it a fixed aperture? Is that a common thing for tele lenses? That's my guess but I want to make sure I'm not just a big idiot who can't figure out how to turn it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

alnilam posted:

Hi thread, I still shoot my dad's old Minolta SRT-102 because I love it and I am good with it, and also because I bought some good used lenses for it when I was in high school and there were still camera stores in existence, and now besides loving my film camera I don't want to have to re-buy lenses for a DSLR so I never bothered getting one.

However here is one lens I bought way back then, shortly before I stopped using it for a while, and have recently started playing around with again. And I have a question! Help please?

It's a nice tele mirror lens, and it's turning out to be great for wildlife photography. I've been having fun snapping birds and deer.

But: the aperture ring doesn't turn! Is it a fixed aperture? Is that a common thing for tele lenses? That's my guess but I want to make sure I'm not just a big idiot who can't figure out how to turn it.

Fixed apertures are the usual case for catadioptric lenses.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Assuming I found the correct lens, yes, it is fixed at f/8.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thank you!

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I was curious what the scale was for so I googled it, and from what I can tell it is part of the adaptall-2 mount and is a "mount index," to align the coupling for stop down metering when installing the mount on the lens.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are you scanning with a dslr? Looks very cyan tinted but could be my phone. I like bikes too man nice.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Finally decided to get some rolls developed from last fall.

edit: On the first photo there is a lot of blue in the blacks. Is that normal for lab scanning or is the color correction off?

doomisland fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 25, 2019

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Are you scanning with a dslr? Looks very cyan tinted but could be my phone. I like bikes too man nice.

Yeah DSLR scan and I didn't spend very long at all attempting to colour correct, I might have another stab at it today, cheers though.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Fujifilm announces worldwide price revision of Photographic Film and Photographic Paper

quote:

1. Products and percent increase
Photographic film :
Color Negative Film, Color Reversal Film, Quick Snap, Control Strips
The minimum increase is expected to 30%
Photographic paper :
All of Photographic paper
The minimum increase is a double-digit percentage.

2. Date of price increase
Effective from April 1st, 2019 onward

I'm generally a Kodak guy, so this isn't a big impact to me, yet.

Probably not the best sign, I suppose. Or maybe it's great. I don't know business. ::click::

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'd rather they charge more than stop making it. But LOL at velvia getting even more expensive.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I guess the most surprising part for me is learning there's still fuji photographic paper being made.

Edit: Wait, drr, they make chromogenic paper and i knew that.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I hope it's a 'keeping production sustainable' price increase, and not 'slow down depletion of our final remaining stock'.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It makes me wonder about how strong the film 'resurgence' really is, and whether we're all just living on a short span of borrowed time. I mean, I think everyone doing this realizes this on some level, but shorter than we'd like, maybe? ;)

I'm not sure if I'd go back to digital for hobby photography. It's not nearly as fun, and while I really love the look of film, I'm not about to fake it in Photoshop. I haven't touched my DSLR in a couple of years... I'd probably just find something else to do.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 26, 2019

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Black and white film seems stronger/more stable than colour film at the very least...

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Insanite posted:

It makes me wonder about how strong the film 'resurgence' really is

Even if it's great the film machines are still running, it should be noted it's all machinery meant to output maybe 10X the quantities it's doing right now. It's highly likely they're running at a rate well-to-just below paying for the machine's operations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

That's my assumption, too. Hard to find good data about it, though.

There are certain things about film that you can find for yourself in digital, either by spending enough money or through self-discipline, but some of it will be lost forever when the time comes. That part of it sucks just as much as it makes it special, I guess.

e: vvvv I also wonder how the easy availability of Kodak and Fuji films--especially cheap color negative stocks--contribute to demand for smaller BW manufacturers.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 26, 2019

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

The Modern Sky posted:

Even if it's great the film machines are still running, it should be noted it's all machinery meant to output maybe 10X the quantities it's doing right now. It's highly likely they're running at a rate well-to-just below paying for the machine's operations.

This is almost certainly true for Kodak and Fuji, but it's not for Ilford and probably other manufacturers.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Blackhawk posted:

Black and white film seems stronger/more stable than colour film at the very least...

Fuji doesn't think so; they're completely out of the black-and-white game now (except for some X-ray film I think). But then again, Fuji has never considered black-and-white to be a 'core' part of its film business, even as film slid out of the overall spotlight in its business.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

Fuji doesn't think so; they're completely out of the black-and-white game now (except for some X-ray film I think). But then again, Fuji has never considered black-and-white to be a 'core' part of its film business, even as film slid out of the overall spotlight in its business.

I guess I mean mostly that there are more companies manufacturing B&W film than colour, including smaller companies like Ilford who do nothing but. Surely Kodak wouldn't have recently re-introduced two previously discontinued film stocks if they were going to make a loss by doing so? Maybe this move is more specific to Fuji than film in general.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Is there any currently produced fuji color film besides velvia that is notably better than kodak? It wouldn't shock me if portra was killing them.
Superia is cheap as poo poo, so I love it, but it can't have a huge margin.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Isn't 400H still a wedding photographer favorite? I dunno if it's better than Portra, but it does have its following

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

nm posted:

Is there any currently produced fuji color film besides velvia that is notably better than kodak? It wouldn't shock me if portra was killing them.
Superia is cheap as poo poo, so I love it, but it can't have a huge margin.

Provia and Velvia are the only slide films currently available in 120 or larger (though Kodak has expressed interest in fixing this).

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

if anyone knows some kind of mechanical engineer that could design a machine to cheaply produce at the output this current market needs, that would be splendid.

Any solution I can come up with would require that companies didn't throw out the baby with the bathwater concerning the boom and bust of analog photography. There's probably scores of documents detailing Kodak's original production capabilities that got tossed once they found a way to scale 100x. And those machines have got to be long gone now, recycled into fence posts and smart phone cases.

Too bad there's no rules about disclosing company records after the industry dies out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

We just need a millionaire photo enthusiast to buy Kodak as it is up for sale.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Smaller scale machines already exist. Contract coating with high tech modern mid scale machinery is a major part of Harman's business. Their equipment is substantially more flexible and can coat just about any liquid you like to any flexible medium you like; not just churn out hundreds of miles of film a week. When not coating Ilford films and paper they're coating all sorts of stuff for other customers.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sauer posted:

Smaller scale machines already exist. Contract coating with high tech modern mid scale machinery is a major part of Harman's business. Their equipment is substantially more flexible and can coat just about any liquid you like to any flexible medium you like; not just churn out hundreds of miles of film a week. When not coating Ilford films and paper they're coating all sorts of stuff for other customers.

This is cool and smart

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The other side of the scare is what almost happened to Tetenal. If they really died, things could have been a lot worse.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Sauer posted:

i didn't know this and that's pretty cool.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I acquired an Olympus OM-G last year for dirt cheap at Value Village and I've been slowly using it more and more now that I live and work near a couple of film shops/labs. It's fun, and I'm still getting used to it, but it's also expensive and I'd like to try developing my own film, and perhaps even scanning it. Any recommendations for a basic black and white developing kit?

Also, what is happening with these consistently-patterned dots?

Is this an issue with the the lab's developing, or scanning? Or is it my camera? It's shown up in two different rolls now and I can't figure it out.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Are you talking about the film grain? Or am I being dumb and can't see what you're talking about?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
If you look at the sky above the building, there's a big grid of dots. It's faint, but annoying.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
do you see it on the negative itself

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I'm pretty sure I get that same pattern when viewing a grainy film image at less than full resolution I'm certain programs. Like if I take a relatively high resolution jpg that has visible grain and I zoom out in windows image viewer at certain zoom levels you get that strange grid pattern showing up and at others you don't.

Blackhawk fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 27, 2019

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah it looks like moire artifacts from scanning due to patterns in the noise when the image is resized

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I picked up an old Canon Elan 7 from KEH. Are these cameras still good for repairs/maintenance for the next few years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

holocaust bloopers posted:

I picked up an old Canon Elan 7 from KEH. Are these cameras still good for repairs/maintenance for the next few years?

I just snagged an A2e for eleven bucks from Goodwill's auction site. No idea what functional shape it's in, but it was a pretty cheap crap shoot.