Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

jamal posted:

That car definitely has at least one cracked ringland.

I saw it on the dealer website and thought, oh, $24k for an STi with only 38,000 miles? I could probably go for that.

Then I started flipping through the pictures. "Oh, that engine has had some work done. Hmm, guess they left a bottle in the trunk. That's a bit odd for a dealer. Oh, that looks like an RV water pump HANG ON A MINUTE."

Funny there's absolutely no mention of mods in the ad. Maybe they think it's supposed to be like that. I bet it'd be fun until it explodes*.

*may already be exploded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
If that's on Stock Pistons lol.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

saint gerald posted:

My quest for a nice used WRX continues. What are the danger spots for a stock 2004 with ~93,000 miles?

Danger comes from improper maintenance and harsh driving. Make sure there are records. Timing belt is 7yr/105,000mi so make sure that's done or take that into account on the selling price. When taking it for a test drive, make sure the tranny feels good; shifts smooth with no noise. The tranny doesn't stand up to abuse very well, so if it isn't good, it's a pretty good hint the car was beat on. Check the undercarriage and body for rust.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--

The stock tune on every turbo Subaru is boring exactly in the way you described. Google can show you endless dyno charts comparing 'stage 1' and 2 vs stock. Typically the power comes on much faster and holds better through the rev range. With a downpipe (you can buy them catted) you'll notice a huge improvement. Tuning is cheap if you go open source. Last time I checked there was a guy doing stage 1 tunes for $80 where I live.

Like others said, an alignment and a rear sway bar will help a lot with handling. When I was looking, I found a used 20mm sti rear sway bar on craigslist for $40.

I don't know a single person who has a turbo Subaru that hasn't modified it in some way. Out of the box they are good cars, but they improve dramatically with a few cheap upgrades. Before you spend the extra cash, maybe you could find someone locally who could show you how the upgrades changed their car.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

saint gerald posted:

I saw it on the dealer website and thought, oh, $24k for an STi with only 38,000 miles? I could probably go for that.

Then I started flipping through the pictures. "Oh, that engine has had some work done. Hmm, guess they left a bottle in the trunk. That's a bit odd for a dealer. Oh, that looks like an RV water pump HANG ON A MINUTE."

Funny there's absolutely no mention of mods in the ad. Maybe they think it's supposed to be like that. I bet it'd be fun until it explodes*.

*may already be exploded

Throw up a post on your regional section on NASIOC with full pictures and whatnot to see if you can find the owner, then figure out what's been done.

So far, it looks like:

Front mount intercooler
Hard turbo inlet
Cold air intake
Mishimoto xline radiator
AEM meth kit

at one point, it probably had an aftermarket EBCS, fuel injectors, and a master cylinder brace with the way the lines are distressed/flipped, and little OEM things missing

:iiam:
it looks like it has some electrical work, from the two or so lines added - probably gauge senders

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've never seen a BPV just hanging out in space like that before. What a weird design.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

McSpatula posted:

Throw up a post on your regional section on NASIOC with full pictures and whatnot to see if you can find the owner, then figure out what's been done.

So far, it looks like:

Front mount intercooler
Hard turbo inlet
Cold air intake
Mishimoto xline radiator
AEM meth kit

at one point, it probably had an aftermarket EBCS, fuel injectors, and a master cylinder brace with the way the lines are distressed/flipped, and little OEM things missing

:iiam:
it looks like it has some electrical work, from the two or so lines added - probably gauge senders

That's a good idea, I think I might do that later.

Another question: would you buy an 04 STi with 100k on the body, but a engine rebuild (with goodies) performed by Fastech down in TN 2,000 miles ago? I'd steer clear of a rebuild as a rule, but it occurs that if Fastech are known for good work then it might be more reliable than stock.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Next project, timing belt replacement.
Is the Gates TCK328 kit on amazon with the Gates 43513 water pump the standard people get for a 04 WRX?
My understanding is to get a proper gasket from the dealer for the pump, and use the rest of the Gates stuff, sound right?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Don't forget to do the idler pulleys while you are in there, it's cheap insurance against your new timing belt being taken out by a bearing grenade like what happened to me (thanks, PO).

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Terrible Robot posted:

Don't forget to do the idler pulleys while you are in there, it's cheap insurance against your new timing belt being taken out by a bearing grenade like what happened to me (thanks, PO).

Yeah, the kit should come with pulleys and a new tensioner.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Yeah, the kit should come with pulleys and a new tensioner.

:doh: missed the word kit and thought it was just the belt, also didn't bother to check. Ignore me, I'm impulsive.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Next project, timing belt replacement.
Is the Gates TCK328 kit on amazon with the Gates 43513 water pump the standard people get for a 04 WRX?
My understanding is to get a proper gasket from the dealer for the pump, and use the rest of the Gates stuff, sound right?

Jamal will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong...

TCKWP328B is the kit to use if you have the oil cooler. (3 outlet pump)
TCKWP328 is the kit with the 2 outlet pump.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you go to the gates site you can look up the right part. I think C is for the 2-inlet pump. A and B are differences in idlers or impellers or both or something.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
How do you know if there is an oil cooler present? Order both and return the one you do not use?

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

How do you know if there is an oil cooler present? Order both and return the one you do not use?

The cooler sit between the oil filter and the block, and has a water line running to the water pump; it'll be apparent if you have one. Definitely be attentive when ordering; it's not always obvious whether you're ordering a 2 or 3 port pump and this has burned me. As for a gasket I used a Beck/Arnley, part #0394165 (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...9454&cc=1440451). This particular one is for an 08 so make sure you find one that fits your vehicle but it's steel, no hassle to get on, and sealed well for me.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm regretting buying my Pilot Sport AS3s last year; they're pretty worthless in the snow. I think I'm going to go back to summers (even though it rains here a lot) most of the year and get some steelies with snow tires.

What kind do you guys think would be good for the Saabaru?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Stock answer: studded Altimax Arctics.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Stock answer: studded Altimax Arctics.

Or Blizzaks.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I really like my Hankook I-Pike's. They've made for a boring winter thus far.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Or Blizzaks.

I run blizzaks, they're incredible.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I like arctic claws and winter forces because I'm cheap. Honestly any snow with siping left is a good tire

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I have the cheapest Dunlop winter tires, but I've run Altimax Arctics, Nokian Hakkapeliittas, and Blizzaks on other cars. Any snow tire will beat the poo poo out of the best all-seasons in winter weather.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I was almost in the market for an immediate replacement -- a fifty-foot pine fell ten feet behind the wagon yesterday. gently caress this weather.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I don't remember what kind of snow tires I have- coopers or dunlops. They were cheap and work. Thanks SSswitch!

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

My '06 Outback got totaled by a snowplow so now I'm in the market for another. What's the word on the L.L. Bean edition? Is the 3.0R worth having over the 2.5?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Elston Gunn posted:

My '06 Outback got totaled by a snowplow so now I'm in the market for another. What's the word on the L.L. Bean edition? Is the 3.0R worth having over the 2.5?

Well for one, they only come in automatic if you care.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Amandyke posted:

Define lack of performance... For the price of a downpipe, 3" cat back exhaust and a tune (even an OTS) you can make 300 AWHP from most any 2011+ WRX. Cobb has a fancy kit for $2,750 with more parts than what you would actually need.

Wow, is this true? a DP, catback, and a tune yields 300whp on a non-sti wrx?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

ROFLburger posted:

Feel free to browse Cobb's Dyno Database and look for yourself, but here's an example:

That jives with what my tuner tells me he does with every stage 2 tune he does. He's a bit more paranoid though and adds a walbro 255lph fuel pump to his stage 2 setups.

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 7, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How much are you shortening the lifespan of the car when you do that I wonder?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

How much are you shortening the lifespan of the car when you do that I wonder?

Assuming it's not being thrashed upon constantly, and it's a fairly conservative tune with proper fuel trims all around, it's really hard to say. I've seen conservative setups last easily into the 100k range(usually till turbo oil seals fail), along with some weekend racer types, but it always comes down to how well it's maintained, how it's driven, etc.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Wow, that seems really impressive

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm sorry to bring up coilovers after the big discussion pages back, but I've never bought them before and I'm wondering, what do I need to look at/know before I buy them? Basically can I just get any set that the they say will fit my car and throw them on with the rest being stock? Would I need to buy supporting stuff to go with them or remove stuff apart from the stock springs?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I'm sorry to bring up coilovers after the big discussion pages back, but I've never bought them before and I'm wondering, what do I need to look at/know before I buy them? Basically can I just get any set that the they say will fit my car and throw them on with the rest being stock? Would I need to buy supporting stuff to go with them or remove stuff apart from the stock springs?

What platform are you working with, what are your goals, etc?

Dampening control (bound and rebound) and adjustability, along with the ability to rebuild them, or even get a custom spring and shim stack initially, are very situation dependant; so, without knowing what you'll be doing, it's hard to specifically recommend X over Y.

Generally, if you're just looking to maintain ride height somewhere around stock, you won't really need to worry too much about CG and general suspension geometry issues, but if you're looking to be hellawhatever you'll eventually run into drastic handling issues.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

McSpatula posted:

What platform are you working with, what are your goals, etc?

Dampening control (bound and rebound) and adjustability, along with the ability to rebuild them, or even get a custom spring and shim stack initially, are very situation dependant; so, without knowing what you'll be doing, it's hard to specifically recommend X over Y.

Generally, if you're just looking to maintain ride height somewhere around stock, you won't really need to worry too much about CG and general suspension geometry issues, but if you're looking to be hellawhatever you'll eventually run into drastic handling issues.

Basically I just want it to handle better and feel more fun and less like I'm on the edge of losing control and dying when I take corners at a decent speed. I don't care about my car being hella flush, if it gets lower without having to spend a heap more or running into issues, then that would be awesome, but I'm perfectly happy with it remaining at stock height. Subarus already get picked on enough by the cops without them pulling me over to check that I meet height regulations (100mm from the ground at the lowest point), but I'd still appreciate the look either way so I guess I'm indifferent.

I drive a 2003 impreza hatch, which in not America is the first year of the blobeye. I'm looking at some point getting a blob eye sedan wrx, so I'm assuming it would just transfer between the two? Hawk/bugeye too maybe because arent they all the same body with different fronts? I'd only do it for my current car if it can transfer over, and if I did do it, it would be the deciding point between a GC8 and blobeye WRX later down the track, I can't decide which one I like more and the probable added maintenance and lack of luxury makes the price difference of an 6-9 year newer car worth it. I know I can get a hawkeye and get a 2.5L engine but they cost too much to buy and run until I finish uni and start my career, which will take me until 2019 because medicine.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

ROFLburger posted:

Really you don't need the catback even. Just the downpipe and tune will get you ~280+whp/300wtq.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would like people's opinions on this for my 2004 WRX hybrid build.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-IMPR...ff4b593&vxp=mtr

I don't want to go with a FMIC, and have been told that the Chinese TMICs are not worth it.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

daslog posted:

I would like people's opinions on this for my 2004 WRX hybrid build.

Stock turbo?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Seems like that is about the going rate and it will help a lot. If you can find an IC from an 08+ sti they are bigger.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Sorry, just to close the loop on tire chat - what do you guys like for summers that can still handle rain well? My last pair were Ventus V12s, which were fine, I'm just wondering if there's something else I should look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

jamal posted:

Seems like that is about the going rate and it will help a lot. If you can find an IC from an 08+ sti they are bigger.

Is there a year where they won't fit?