Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Action Jackson! posted:

How usable is 4GB of memory under 10.9 for someone who is going to be just doing schoolwork and web surfing and maybe playing a game of Diablo 3?

D3 is still 32 bit (grrrr) so it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There's nothing wrong with 32 bit, it's actually a preferable build in most situations. The whole myth that lower bit = old legacy slow bad needs to die off, this isn't a NES we're talking about.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

There's nothing wrong with 32 bit, it's actually a preferable build in most situations. The whole myth that lower bit = old legacy slow bad needs to die off, this isn't a NES we're talking about.

32 bit means you can't use more than 3.75gb of RAM which annoys users with 8gb and 16gb machines. Although D3 probably couldn't use more than 3.75gb of RAM because of the rest of the game engine anyway.

The Unity game editor being 32 bit severely limits what some people can do with it. Note: When unity exports they export to 64 bit without issue it just impacts development.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Apparently the refreshed MBAs switched from Samsung SSDs to a mix of Toshiba and SanDisk. This results in slower speeds: http://www.macworld.com/article/2150841/lab-tested-new-2014-macbook-air-benchmarks.html

Sadness.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

pmchem posted:

Apparently the refreshed MBAs switched from Samsung SSDs to a mix of Toshiba and SanDisk. This results in slower speeds: http://www.macworld.com/article/2150841/lab-tested-new-2014-macbook-air-benchmarks.html

Sadness.

Uh, nope, that's only true for the 11-inch MBA. 13-inch MBAers get SanDisks and Samsung.

Yet another reason (other than big hands) to opt for the 13-inchers.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Uh, nope, that's only true for the 11-inch MBA. 13-inch MBAers get SanDisks and Samsung.

From the article:

quote:

The drive in the new 11-inch MacBook Air is identified as Apple SSD TS0128F, while an Apple SSD SD0256F is found in the new 13-inch. We have an Apple SSD SM0256F in the mid-2013 11-inch MacBook Air and an Apple SSD SM0128F in the mid-2013 13-inch MacBook Air.

So, in their tests, the 2013 models had SMxxxx (Samsung) and the just-refreshed 2014 models had TSxxxx and SDxxxx (Toshiba/SanDisk). Given the recent Apple/Samsung wars, I find this entirely unsurprising. What source do you have that demonstrates the refreshed 2014 13-inch MBAs get Samsungs?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Are you sure it's determined by MBA size? When I bought a 2011 13" Air it was possible to get either Toshiba or Samsung (Apple didn't use SanDisk back then). Seems like usually you get luck-of-the-draw with the smallest SSD size and even one or two size bumps up, and the only way to guarantee a Samsung is to go big. (e.g. right now I have not heard of Apple's 512GB or larger SSDs ever being anything other than Samsung)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

pmchem posted:

What source do you have that demonstrates the refreshed 2014 13-inch MBAs get Samsungs?

pmchem posted:

So, in their tests, the 2013 models had SMxxxx (Samsung) and the just-refreshed 2014 models had TSxxxx and SDxxxx (Toshiba/SanDisk). Given the recent Apple/Samsung wars, I find this entirely unsurprising. What source do you have that demonstrates the refreshed 2014 13-inch MBAs get Samsungs?

Friends who work at AASPs who say they only see SM mentioned in orderable SSD parts for the 13-inch Early 2014 MBAs. They only see SD and TS SSDs for the Early 2014 11-inchers at this moment.

This could change when replacement 512 GB SSDs appear as you can ask for 512 GB SSDs even in the 11-inch right this second (go try and config options in online Fruit Stand.)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 5, 2014

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
How do you guys drag with a MacBook trackpad? I've been using the three-finger gesture but it's a bit unreliable. Holding down the trackpad and scraping my finger against it feels really unnatural though.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Click down your thumb and drag with your index finger. Come on guy this is intuitive poo poo. Jobs is rolling around in his grave with you asking that kind of question.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Nitr0 posted:

Click down your thumb and drag with your index finger. Come on guy this is intuitive poo poo. Jobs is rolling around in his grave with you asking that kind of question.

I just realized I can't do that because of how I've set up BetterTouchTool

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Jobs is rolling around in his grave with you asking that kind of question.
You make it sound like he has a really spacious grave, if he can perform XY rotational choices like some sort of taquito-shaped roomba. Rolling around what exactly?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

We just got a Lenovo Helix Thinkpad for a staff member that doesnt have an ethernet port and thus cant boot from network to be imaged via SCCM.

So its not just macs that arent :siren: ENTERPRISE READY :siren:

(we can do it from USB stick, but thats not the point)

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

tractor fanatic posted:

I just realized I can't do that because of how I've set up BetterTouchTool

Position the cursor, then double tap with one finger and hold the second tap, then drag.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Laserface posted:

We just got a Lenovo Helix Thinkpad for a staff member that doesnt have an ethernet port and thus cant boot from network to be imaged via SCCM.

So its not just macs that arent :siren: ENTERPRISE READY :siren:

(we can do it from USB stick, but thats not the point)

Can you not network boot from a USB ethernet adapter? I re-image macs that way.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ninja Rope posted:

Can you not network boot from a USB ethernet adapter? I re-image macs that way.

We just boot to SCCM on USB stick and call it a day, rather than mess around with often flaky USB-ethernet.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

That may be, but we should still be moving towards fewer 32 bit processes, not more.
Every new 32 bit process on OS X is a blight and a scourge.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
What's the consensus wisdom on the optimal spec for the rMBP 13? I'm looking at the 256GB config.

Base is £1249. 2.6GHz is £1329. 2.8GHz is £1489.

Base with RAM upgrade is £1409. With 2.6GHz it's £1489. With the 2.8GHz it's £1649.

£1500 was my budget, so I'm between 256GB/8GB/2.8GHz and 256GHz/16GB/2.6GHz. If I can trim any money off that and not really lose anything, all the better. The most intensive things I'll be doing are Ableton Live, DJing, a tiny amount of video editing and playing CK2 on the shitter.

edit - As an alternative, the 512GB is rocking a 2.6GHz on top of the doubled storage for £1499. That's three different configs on budget.

rorty fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 6, 2014

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

rorty posted:

What's the consensus wisdom on the optimal spec for the rMBP 13? I'm looking at the 256GB config.

Base with RAM upgrade is £1409. With 2.6GHz it's £1489. With the 2.8GHz it's £1649.

£1500 was my budget, so I'm between 256GB/8GB/2.8GHz and 256GHz/16GB/2.6GHz. If I can trim any money off that and not really lose anything, all the better. The most intensive things I'll be doing are Ableton Live, DJing, a tiny amount of video editing and playing CK2 on the shitter.

edit - As an alternative, the 512GB is rocking a 2.6GHz on top of the doubled storage for £1499. That's three different configs on budget.
I think our consensus was that the stock 13" model with the 8GB/256GB config from the refurb store was the best value for money. If you think you're going to take advantage of the 512GB model and can fit it in your budget then I'd personally spring for that.

Have you checked the refurb store pricing in the UK for these models? Even if they don't have the one you want right now you can set up an alert for the specs you do want with a site like http://refurb.me/ and it'll tell you when it's in the store.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

rorty posted:

The difference between the 2.6GHz and 2.8GHz CPU is maybe 10% at best. It's slightly better than the clock speed advantage would suggest because the 2.8 also gets an upgrade from 3MB to 4MB L3 cache, but this isn't a huge deal.

On the other hand, the same money literally doubles the RAM. Even if you don't have an immediate need for 16GB, it's future-proofing which will keep the computer useful many more years than the CPU upgrade. So, personally, I would tend to suggest the RAM over the highest spec CPU. There are a lot more situations where you'll hate yourself for getting less RAM than situations where you'll hate yourself for getting less CPU, and honestly even the 2.4 should be enough for everything you're doing.

8/512 vs 16/256 is much harder to give generic advice on. Only you know whether life will suck with a smaller disk.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010

Mercurius posted:

I think our consensus was that the stock 13" model with the 8GB/256GB config from the refurb store was the best value for money. If you think you're going to take advantage of the 512GB model and can fit it in your budget then I'd personally spring for that.

Have you checked the refurb store pricing in the UK for these models? Even if they don't have the one you want right now you can set up an alert for the specs you do want with a site like http://refurb.me/ and it'll tell you when it's in the store.

I'm using an education discount, but listed the full prices and adjusted my budget to reflect to make the comparison simpler.

After thinking about it for a day I'm probably going to go for the base 2.4GHz/256GB/8GB. I was upgrading the processor out of habit but after looking a bit deeper I think I'll be just as happy without it. I won't be running RAM intensive applications in parallel and I didn't feel convinced that I'd need 16GB. My upgrade cycle will be closer to 2 years than 4 years so future-proofing isn't necessarily my top priority. 512GB would be a great luxury to have but for the price difference I could get a high capacity portable HD, get an Apple TV for the living room and money left over for software.

Thanks for the advice!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

rorty posted:

I'm using an education discount, but listed the full prices and adjusted my budget to reflect to make the comparison simpler.

After thinking about it for a day I'm probably going to go for the base 2.4GHz/256GB/8GB. I was upgrading the processor out of habit but after looking a bit deeper I think I'll be just as happy without it. I won't be running RAM intensive applications in parallel and I didn't feel convinced that I'd need 16GB. My upgrade cycle will be closer to 2 years than 4 years so future-proofing isn't necessarily my top priority. 512GB would be a great luxury to have but for the price difference I could get a high capacity portable HD, get an Apple TV for the living room and money left over for software.

Thanks for the advice!
Sounds reasonable. You may want to check out the refurb store anyway as it's generally cheaper than Edu pricing for the same thing (here in Australia, anyway).

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

You get free applecare with an edu discount in the uk.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Speaking of Australia, I ordered a 256gb/16gb rMBP from JB yesterday for $150 off the rrp, no accessories or AppleCare or anything. Have they always been able to do those kinds of discounts?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I wish Best Buy carried the 8GB models of the MBA 13.3. I bought the 4GB/128GB model for $750 after the .edu discount and it's great but I would really like more RAM. I'm going to end up paying a lot more for it because I'll have to order it from Apple.

Blah.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FordPRefectLL posted:

I wish Best Buy carried the 8GB models of the MBA 13.3. I bought the 4GB/128GB model for $750 after the .edu discount and it's great but I would really like more RAM. I'm going to end up paying a lot more for it because I'll have to order it from Apple.

Blah.

If you save tax there, Macmall might be cheaper than Apple, even without any edu discount.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're not in New York get it form BHPhoto

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So my 2012 MBP (15" w/ Retina) doesn't seem to recognize any USB drives. Mice, USB receivers for wireless peripherals and the like seem to work fine in both ports, but nothing happens when I plug in my thumb drive or phone. I checked Disk Utility and the preferences in Finder, but no luck. The thumb drive works when I plug it into my fiance's macbook air, and other computers recognize the phone when I plug it in.

Can't seem to find anything helpful on the internet. Anyone else run into this issue?

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 8, 2014

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

So my 2012 MBP (15" w/ Retina) doesn't seem to recognize any USB drives. Mice, USB receivers for wireless peripherals and the like seem to work fine in both ports, but nothing happens when I plug in my thumb drive or phone. I checked Disk Utility and the preferences in Finder, but no luck. The thumb drive works when I plug it into my fiance's macbook air, and other computers recognize the phone when I plug it in.

Can't seem to find anything helpful on the internet. Anyone else run into this issue?

Do they show up as USB devices in system info?

Make one bootable and option boot and see if it shows up there? That will at least tell you hardware or software.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Granite Octopus posted:

Speaking of Australia, I ordered a 256gb/16gb rMBP from JB yesterday for $150 off the rrp, no accessories or AppleCare or anything. Have they always been able to do those kinds of discounts?

Yeah, 10% is pretty standard especially for EFT.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So weird question I guess, but does anyone use a remote to control iTunes/etc on their computer? I have a MBPr, which doesn't have an IR port, so the offical Apple remote is out of the question. I was hoping something simple but also maybe bluetooth so I could be in the other room streaming to my receiver, and still use that remote. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.apple.com/uk/apps/remote/ ?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

IUG posted:

So weird question I guess, but does anyone use a remote to control iTunes/etc on their computer? I have a MBPr, which doesn't have an IR port, so the offical Apple remote is out of the question. I was hoping something simple but also maybe bluetooth so I could be in the other room streaming to my receiver, and still use that remote. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Remote app for iOS works pretty well. But I'm assuming you don't have an iPhone. Sorry for my shitpost! I also use the media controls on my Apple BT Keyboard, range is pretty good depending on your receiver (I use an external one).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I do, but it's just kindof slow to unlock the app, wait for it to refresh, tell it to connect to [YOUR NAME]'s Library, wait for it to refresh again, have the controls not appear on the screen (this is like the program's entire function and it doesn't work 100%!), hit back, hit Now Playing, and hit pause. If the app remembered my library all the time, especially when it's the only library it's ever connected to, and didn't have that bug, I wouldn't even think of a remote.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

IUG posted:

You have an iPhone or iPad?

Turn on home sharing, download the remote app. As long as your on the same wifi, it's way way way better than the apple remote.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Kingnothing posted:

You have an iPhone or iPad?

Turn on home sharing, download the remote app. As long as your on the same wifi, it's way way way better than the apple remote.

He says it doesn't work well for him. I like it a lot.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

Do they show up as USB devices in system info?

Make one bootable and option boot and see if it shows up there? That will at least tell you hardware or software.
/
Nothing showing up in system info. I'll have to see if I can dig up a USB stick that I can format into a bootable drive. Anything else I can try in the meantime?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

/
Nothing showing up in system info. I'll have to see if I can dig up a USB stick that I can format into a bootable drive. Anything else I can try in the meantime?

If you can dump the drive data you can make that drive bootable?

The other option would be either clean install, or partition and make a second install, but both of those are way more work that just finding a flash drive and option booting.

You could try booting into recovery (cmd+r before chime) and you can access disk utility from there.

It's not booting into safe boot is it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Snagged an old Mac Mini that I'm tossing an Intel 530 SSD and 8GB of RAM into. Should make a nice machine for my grandpa who basically just needs a basic computer that's better than his old XP virus-box. Now I have to hope that OS X 10.10 doesn't abandon C2D machines. :ohdear:

It's been a while since I've had to open one of these guys up: I'm not looking forward to the cringe-inducing crunch that comes along with prying it open with putty knives. It makes me think of cracking a rib cage open and I always think I'm gonna break it, but never do.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Snagged an old Mac Mini that I'm tossing an Intel 530 SSD and 8GB of RAM into. Should make a nice machine for my grandpa who basically just needs a basic computer that's better than his old XP virus-box. Now I have to hope that OS X 10.10 doesn't abandon C2D machines. :ohdear:

It's been a while since I've had to open one of these guys up: I'm not looking forward to the cringe-inducing crunch that comes along with prying it open with putty knives. It makes me think of cracking a rib cage open and I always think I'm gonna break it, but never do.
I've just done a similar thing for my parents with a late 2012 mini I got from the refurb store and an older SSD I had left over from previous upgrades. Works great as a little home server thing for them and back to my mac means I can look at it remotely if needed.