Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nevermind, I found what I was looking for~!

bowmore fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I've bought truck meat. (from a truck that didn't represent itself as something else.) The haggling process took awhile but I ended up paying a reasonable amount for reasonable quality steaks. I probably won't do it again, just because the cryovac was compromised on a few steaks (probably from them demo-ing) and I don't want to have a 20 minute argument in my living room just to get the same price as the manager's special at the grocery store. But getting a year's worth of steaks all at once was pretty convenient.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Brawnfire posted:

One thing I'm confused about is, my paella pan didn't come with a cover. Am I supposed to prepare the rice separately and just spread it into the pan at the end? I feel like I'm more confused by having the appropriate equipment than just a skillet...

You shouldn't ever cover it. You also don't need another pan, other than to boil your broth/stock in (don't add it to the rice cold or room temperature).

The best way IMO to do it, is to use a charcoal grill with an adjustable rack for the coals, and big enough so you can close the lid to the grill when you want. Good way to trap the smoke from the wood chunks you add to the charcoal.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Senior Scarybagels posted:

So I am planning on making eggnog for presents next year for christmas and I was thinking of starting it in January, will Eggnog spoil if shipped? If so what would I need to do to ship it?

You can use dry ice to keep things refrigerated during shipment. You may have to go directly to a shipping hub depending on what company you use because they need to account for exact amounts of dry ice so their planes don't crumple in transit, but it should work fine.

And don't tell anyone if it contains alcohol, because it's illegal to ship alcohol without a special license.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I got some chili-infused oils and vinegars for Christmas. What are some good ways to use them?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dacap posted:

I got some chili-infused oils and vinegars for Christmas. What are some good ways to use them?

Finish soups with them or toss popcorn in them.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Hey, somebody remind me what's the proper internal temp for roasting a chicken?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Funktor posted:

Hey, somebody remind me what's the proper internal temp for roasting a chicken?

165F (74C)

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Thank ya :)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone got a particular favorite turkey or chicken pot pie recipe? Got the day off and it's crap outside. Tons of smoked turkey and stock leftovers in the freezer.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Quick question about making pulled pork in a slow cooker. I've made it a few times before but I was curious if it would improve the final product if I seared the pork shoulder before putting it in the slow cooker? It already has a dry rub on it and has been in the fridge, tightly wrapped, for almost a day now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Trying to sear it now would probably just burn your rub. Instead try sticking it under the broiler for a little bit after you've pulled it but before you add your sauce back in.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dis astranagant posted:

Trying to sear it now would probably just burn your rub. Instead try sticking it under the broiler for a little bit after you've pulled it but before you add your sauce back in.

Alternately, if the sauce has sugar in it, broil it AFTER you've tossed it to get some delicious crispy caramelized bits.

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

I've read so many Black Forest cake recipe it's coming out of my ears. Because of the many different variations, I figured I'd wing it and try my own thing. After baking the chocolate cake, I halved it and spread a bit of the juice from cherry-pie filling on the halves in order to get them semi-moist, but I also went ahead and drizzled a bit of brandy on the halves - not cherry brandy, just regular brandy.

My question is - was the latter a really, really bad move? I only sprinkled a few droplets of brandy on the cake halves, but I'm worried that it'll affect the taste of the chocolate in a negative way. Topping it off with cherries and whipped cream though, which might mask the taste a bit.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It'll probably be quite good, is my guess.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone have a recommendation for sriracha beef jerky? I got a dehydrator for xmas and made Alton Brown's recipe which was pretty good, but I really want something spicy and remember sriracha jerky being pretty good.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I did some searching and didn't have luck, but are there threads for Spanish and Portuguese cuisine somewhere?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trip report: my pressure cooker loving rules. Chicken broth in an hour, split pea soup in 20 min, even makes rice. I'm replacing quite a few appliances with this thing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ron Jeremy posted:

Trip report: my pressure cooker loving rules. Chicken broth in an hour, split pea soup in 20 min, even makes rice. I'm replacing quite a few appliances with this thing.

Yeah. I'm using mine all the time. Pressure cooker rice is something special.

My sister gave me a jar of tomatoes that have been pickling for a few years. The thing is, they're unripe cherry tomatoes and taste like capers but more tart. What can I do with these things? I'm going to do a salad, but I can't think of anything more interesting.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

My sister gave me a jar of tomatoes that have been pickling for a few years. The thing is, they're unripe cherry tomatoes and taste like capers but more tart. What can I do with these things? I'm going to do a salad, but I can't think of anything more interesting.

Make a bruschetta with a mix of those and maybe some fresh Roma tomatoes.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

These would make a great sauce for fish, or in small quantities would be good on tacos/sandwiches.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Caramelize some onions, throw in some garlic and olive oil, toss in a few tomatoes and smash them a little, then throw in some spinach long enough for the spinach to wither but not long enough for it to cook down. Salt, peppper, toss with some noodles? It's pretty simple, add whatever spices you'd like. I've done something similar with some picked cherry tomatoes that were a bit tart (and slightly alcoholic- I think wine or something was added to the pickling brine), and it could work for this too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Comic posted:

Caramelize some onions, throw in some garlic and olive oil, toss in a few tomatoes and smash them a little, then throw in some spinach long enough for the spinach to wither but not long enough for it to cook down. Salt, peppper, toss with some noodles? It's pretty simple, add whatever spices you'd like. I've done something similar with some picked cherry tomatoes that were a bit tart (and slightly alcoholic- I think wine or something was added to the pickling brine), and it could work for this too.

Mm. Definitely going to do this over some pasta.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

These would make a great sauce for fish, or in small quantities would be good on tacos/sandwiches.

This might be a good excuse for me to start discovering fish. Maybe sauce up a tomato and some pickle, drizzle over fish and serve with crusty bread?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

There was a blog by an older Hungarian (Ukranian?) lady (or someone related to her) with crazy awesome traditional recipes posted somewhere in GWS maybe 18 months ago. I'd love to find it again, anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Every post had a story, some decent pictures, and a super tasty looking recipe.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Can anyone post that mac and cheese recipe that's been going around GWS recently? It had some powder that went in it that everyone said made it all nice and smooth and creamy. I made Ramsay's version of it tonight and was disappointed in how grainy it was.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sodium citrate

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sodium-citrate-creates-silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

SubG suggested putting the sodium citrate in a little bit at a time until you get something on the verge between grainy and smooth instead of uniformly smooth, which sounds interesting.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 1, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Sodium citrate

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sodium-citrate-creates-silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

SubG suggested putting the sodium citrate in a little bit at a time until you get something on the verge between grainy and smooth instead of uniformly smooth, which sounds interesting.
I don't do that with the sodium citrate, I do that with the cheese. Like instead of measuring everything out perfectly in ritualistically pure modernist fashion, I use like a quarter cup of water with about a half a tsp of sodium citrate, then just add cheese by feel.

If you're doing mac and cheese I don't know if I'd go past smooth unless you're planning on throwing something else in there too. If I'm planning on adding some salsa or something I'll aim for a thicker cheese sauce because it'll end up getting thinned out by the other stuff, so if you get the cheese by itself just right it'll end up too runny if you add anything else.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I want to take some classes to refine my cooking skills and develop knife skills. I checked my local community college, but all I can find are cake decorating classes. Where else should I check?

Also, can anyone recommend some decent knife sets? I have a set of Cutco that was given to us for our wedding, but many are serrated, so I know there's better out there.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Buy a good chef's knife and learn how to sharpen it. Sets are generally a bad value.

Forschner's 8" chef's knife is a good budget place to start.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

There was a blog by an older Hungarian (Ukranian?) lady (or someone related to her) with crazy awesome traditional recipes posted somewhere in GWS maybe 18 months ago. I'd love to find it again, anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Every post had a story, some decent pictures, and a super tasty looking recipe.

Mrs. Gunderson?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chemmy posted:

Buy a good chef's knife and learn how to sharpen it.

I feel this has been done before, but what stone/steel combo do you recommend?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

baquerd posted:

I feel this has been done before, but what stone/steel combo do you recommend?

This is the thread under you; see specifically section Sharpening.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Steve Yun posted:

Sodium citrate

SubG posted:

I don't do that with the sodium citrate, I do that with the cheese. Like instead of measuring everything out perfectly in ritualistically pure modernist fashion, I use like a quarter cup of water with about a half a tsp of sodium citrate, then just add cheese by feel.

If you're doing mac and cheese I don't know if I'd go past smooth unless you're planning on throwing something else in there too. If I'm planning on adding some salsa or something I'll aim for a thicker cheese sauce because it'll end up getting thinned out by the other stuff, so if you get the cheese by itself just right it'll end up too runny if you add anything else.
Awesome, thanks! I wouldn't otherwise buy something so specialized, but I make mac and cheese at least once a month. Now it's justified. :)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

kinmik posted:

Awesome, thanks! I wouldn't otherwise buy something so specialized, but I make mac and cheese at least once a month. Now it's justified. :)

You can also use it to create cheese with the melting characteristics of Kraft slices out of whatever good cheese you like to eat on your burger.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

June Meyer ?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

I don't think that was it. I remember what ricola mentioned, it was indeed awesome, I dunno why I didn't bookmark it. :( I vaguely think maybe dino was who shared the link, so maybe he remembers!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

I linked you in chat, papi. zsuzsaisinthekitchen at blogspot.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Do you guus think its possible to make a soufflé with an isi siphon? If so do any of you have any ideas on a recipe? I'm dying to do something weird with this thing

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dino. posted:

I linked you in chat, papi. zsuzsaisinthekitchen at blogspot.

Awesome, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Do you guus think its possible to make a soufflé with an isi siphon? If so do any of you have any ideas on a recipe? I'm dying to do something weird with this thing

quote:

I had this goal of mak­ing what I called an instant souf­flé: a mix that you can store in an iSi whip­ping siphon and squirt out just before you are ready to bake it. That went through some­thing like 150 iter­a­tions before we arrived at the final ver­sion that appears in the book [on page 4·297].