Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

I just want to pitch in here as someone who's probably 8 months further in than you. At the start, I had all these ideas about what I thought I wanted, but then I'd find something and try it and it would turn out that once I understood that instrument a bit more, I wasn't what I thought.

If you've got Pocket Operators coming, stop shopping for a while and see what you can accomplish with them. And whatever you think you've learned about using them in the first few weeks, realize that you have probably only learned a little bit of what they can do. Keep at it rather than shopping for new gear.

And don't worry about whether things have keyboards. I thought the same thing, and I was wrong. You need a way to select notes, and that's what the keyboard is for. Playing a synth isn't playing a piano. You're mostly just selecting notes. What you care about is the sounds you can get out of the synth, and whether or not it has a keyboard doesn't have much to do with that.

If you think you want to make weird sounds, BTW, you probably want to start getting into modular, but if you're price sensitive, you might want to try doing it on your computer, instead, because a modular system can definitely cost as much as your car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not really expressing what my actual frustration is. I apologize for my poor communication.
The thing that is frustrating me, is not being able to narrow down my search with local retailers' websites to specifically target the kinds of products you mentioned. I'm having to scroll past many things that will likely never be in my range of use cases. A prophet certainly goes for more than a '97 mercury sable.

I don't really have any clearly defined goals, apart from being able to pack most everything into a bag, and bring it with me to the park, or a friend's place whenever that's something I can do again. The idea of not wanting a keyboard attached is also coming from the fact that I already have a launchkey mini.

What I was trying to accomplish was to get an idea of what might be available locally, and for what price. It's one thing to read a price on here, then have to add x% for the fact it's being sold in Canada, then do a currency conversion. It's another to look at the local 0retailer's website and get a real idea of what it might cost me.

I was just sharing my minor frustrations. The korg nts-1 kit looked appealing, and I was interested in seeing if there was one near me, and if there was anything else similar on the market.

eta, I re-read your post, and thank you very much for giving me some lines to research. That should help narrow down the search.

The first 2 sites I check have sub categories for you for inspiration. Thomann has one called "expanders" and Music Store has one called "mini synths".

As someone playing with synths without knowing how to play a keyboard I agree with what was said earlier:

The main driver for your next purchases will be the kind of music/sounds you want to reproduce; for drones you want something like a Lyra8 or Strega or Volca Modular. For looped sequences anything with a sequencer works. Pocket operators, Volcas, and all the more expensive ones. For touching the keyboard and turning knobs you want a desktop synth with midi in. Something like the Fred's Lab Buzzzy is great and small and cheap and has on-board FX. For complex loops with different instruments/samples you want something like a volca sample or a Novation circuit.

It would help us give you advice if you have some examples of music you want to reproduce, or if you already know the kind of work flow you prefer

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
All gear is poo poo
Buy something that turns you on
Hail satan
Shed it if it hangs about your neck as a bird run through by a crossbow bolt
Everything disappoints

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
In line with the current conversation I have a Digitakt ordered to pair with my Digitone :cool:

Kinda thinking of a livestream-type project called Dungeons and Digitones where I roll d8s to determine what pattern to go to next

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Tayter Swift posted:

In line with the current conversation I have a Digitakt ordered to pair with my Digitone :cool:

Kinda thinking of a livestream-type project called Dungeons and Digitones where I roll d8s to determine what pattern to go to next

:allears:
Did they add the page param randomizer button chord to those boxes too? might be fun for that kind of interactive generative music

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not actually shopping to purchase, more to just learn aboout the market. I should be well enough set up to be able to do what I'd like for the foreseeable future soon enough. I'm aleready way beyond my depth with a midi keyboard, cakewalk, and a handful of soft synth vsts.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Startyde posted:

:allears:
Did they add the page param randomizer button chord to those boxes too? might be fun for that kind of interactive generative music

They did indeed. I should use that bit more than I do.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As a non-piano player I found that the input devices I really appreciate are chromatic keyboards (and hopefully I’m not using the term incorrectly). I can hit any buttons and they just make sounds that are pleasing when played together. I rarely touch the actual keyboard on my Reface DX because my MPC does a better job helping me not sound like a cat running across a keyboard with its chromatic pads.

Music theory is something I should learn eventually but I’ve got fifteen places to put every free minute and right now I’m too busy having fun playing with sounds to study.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Martytoof posted:

As a non-piano player I found that the input devices I really appreciate are chromatic keyboards (and hopefully I’m not using the term incorrectly). I can hit any buttons and they just make sounds that are pleasing when played together. I rarely touch the actual keyboard on my Reface DX because my MPC does a better job helping me not sound like a cat running across a keyboard with its chromatic pads.

Music theory is something I should learn eventually but I’ve got fifteen places to put every free minute and right now I’m too busy having fun playing with sounds to study.

Diatonic is the phrase for if a scale only contains notes in a major/minor key. Running up every note of a piano keyboard is chromatic.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cheerfully stand corrected — diatonic :)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

re: chromatic keyboards or whatever they're called, i made a plug-in that turns your white keys into whatever scale you want and your black keys to chords in that scale. it's at spacepoodle.net. it is free

it's nice when you're like me and don't know how to play keys

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol ableton finally has scale mode in 11, though, so it's basically useless now i guess 🤷‍♀️

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

mods are awake post jammers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4b2hHh-M-Y

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Jammer_keyboard

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Achmed Jones posted:

lol ableton finally has scale mode in 11, though, so it's basically useless now i guess 🤷‍♀️

im broke and still on live 9 lol so I do appreciate it! downloaded

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

re: chromatic keyboards or whatever they're called, i made a plug-in that turns your white keys into whatever scale you want and your black keys to chords in that scale. it's at spacepoodle.net. it is free

it's nice when you're like me and don't know how to play keys

That's a great idea, thanks! And it's not useless for me, since I'm not buying ableton 11. I've still got a lot to learn before I'm done using cakewalk, so free plugins are wonderful for me.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

mods are awake post jammers

https://youtu.be/-0v7mTvJ8M4

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Earlier today I cracked open Reaktor and built a quick thing with dual sequencers using blocks and it reminded me how zen patching stuff is.
I have the latest full version of Reaktor, the NI ones from the user library like Niij/the Maschine sequencers and also Euro Reakt (which has some mad stuff in it, some of those oscillators like the Karplus can get real weird, but useable, real fast). Also a couple free things like that Moog modular pack and the Brett Blocks. And Cloudlab (Buchla stuff, fantastic and realllllllly highlights to me how West Coast stuff is different to East/Euro. Shits bonkers)
Are there any other must have modules either from the user Library or otherwise? I'd rather my GAS for modular stay within the Reaktor boundaries for obvious reasons! I'd say im particularly after Euroracky sequencers.

On the other end of the spectrum, my SR16 should hopefully arrive tomorrow and it's struck me I can run it through my Monotron Delay I got for Xmas and am looking forward to that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NonzeroCircle posted:

Earlier today I cracked open Reaktor and built a quick thing with dual sequencers using blocks and it reminded me how zen patching stuff is.
I have the latest full version of Reaktor, the NI ones from the user library like Niij/the Maschine sequencers and also Euro Reakt (which has some mad stuff in it, some of those oscillators like the Karplus can get real weird, but useable, real fast). Also a couple free things like that Moog modular pack and the Brett Blocks. And Cloudlab (Buchla stuff, fantastic and realllllllly highlights to me how West Coast stuff is different to East/Euro. Shits bonkers)
Are there any other must have modules either from the user Library or otherwise? I'd rather my GAS for modular stay within the Reaktor boundaries for obvious reasons! I'd say im particularly after Euroracky sequencers.

On the other end of the spectrum, my SR16 should hopefully arrive tomorrow and it's struck me I can run it through my Monotron Delay I got for Xmas and am looking forward to that.

https://youtu.be/f45uxnxGBpE

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/xyWM2XxzRgw

https://youtu.be/k0DFdkJAa_I

https://youtu.be/5T7s1_IyE9A

https://youtu.be/ATHEHsYyuPA

https://youtu.be/DH_lHjwuYWA

https://youtu.be/CROAOEzH1zA

these are all good. some of them are really good

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Hi I made an album unintentionally with my Moog Werkstatt, tape delay and reverb harmonizer. Maybe you might be into that?

https://paintedrecords.bandcamp.com/album/tidal-resonance

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
It's me, I'm the dumbass who purchased a module one mm too tall to fit into my case and had to file the bottom rail to mount it. Hopefully it is small and the rail is aluminum.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Thinking about replacing my MG10XU with the Tascam Model 12. it kinda reminds me of my old 424. I don't enjoy using daws that much on my solo projects and have just been grabbing stereo rips from the mixer and normalizing them. I tried to use the Octatrack as a multitrack recorder but it's kinda just a pain in the rear end for that. Anyone got a model 12?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

A MIRACLE posted:

Thinking about replacing my MG10XU with the Tascam Model 12. it kinda reminds me of my old 424. I don't enjoy using daws that much on my solo projects and have just been grabbing stereo rips from the mixer and normalizing them. I tried to use the Octatrack as a multitrack recorder but it's kinda just a pain in the rear end for that. Anyone got a model 12?

If you want to do most things in the mixer then it seems really good. The only reason I didn't go with one is because I found out that when using it as a USB multichannel interface, none of the channel strips or faders do anything to the audio input. As long as that still fits in your workflow though they look like a great deal.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

toadee posted:

If you want to do most things in the mixer then it seems really good. The only reason I didn't go with one is because I found out that when using it as a USB multichannel interface, none of the channel strips or faders do anything to the audio input. As long as that still fits in your workflow though they look like a great deal.

Thats.. interesting. I assume the preamp gain works though right? :-)

I do want it as a 424 replacement basically.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Thats.. interesting. I assume the preamp gain works though right? :-)

I do want it as a 424 replacement basically.

If you would have to work around that, I would recommend waiting for the new Mackie Onyx series that is basically the Tascam Model series, but the channel strips and faders work. No on board recording though (but stereo out you could send to something else to record to)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

toadee posted:

If you would have to work around that, I would recommend waiting for the new Mackie Onyx series that is basically the Tascam Model series, but the channel strips and faders work. No on board recording though (but stereo out you could send to something else to record to)

isn't there just an audio return button on each channel for that on the tascam? My Soundcraft works the same way. I assume that it's also constantly summing everything to the master channels like the soundcraft as well. You gotta wrap your brain around it for a second when you start out, but it's not that bad.

Edit: looks like at least someall of the ONYX have onboard SD recording, not sure where you're seeing the stuff about recording to USB post-fader, tho.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 3, 2021

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

isn't there just an audio return button on each channel for that on the tascam? My Soundcraft works the same way. I assume that it's also constantly summing everything to the master channels like the soundcraft as well. You gotta wrap your brain around it for a second when you start out, but it's not that bad.

Edit: looks like at least someall of the ONYX have onboard SD recording

All of the reviews I read just said "if you want to use it as an audio interface, none of the channel strips or faders will do anything", so I kind of just stopped there because that's literally what I was interested in.

Didn't realize the Onyx series had SD card recording though, that's cool. It wasn't a priority for me and I hadn't remembered seeing it, but, looks like that might just be better all around then

toadee fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 3, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

toadee posted:

All of the reviews I read just said "if you want to use it as an audio interface, none of the channel strips or faders will do anything", so I kind of just stopped there because that's literally what I was interested in.

Didn't realize the Onyx series had SD card recording though, that's cool. It wasn't a priority for me and I hadn't remembered seeing it, but, looks like that might just be better all around then

wait, I'm confused. So do the faders, etc work pre-send or do they not? It reads like you're contradicting your earlier statement.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

wait, I'm confused. So do the faders, etc work pre-send or do they not? It reads like you're contradicting your earlier statement.

yeah they work pre send they just don't send down the USB channels

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

as long as the preamp gains work then it's fine. The MGXU gives me a mixdown main stereo bus which is way less useful for computer recording imo. Also it has sucky knobs instead of cool slidey faders

I guess if I wanted to run the mixer as an external gear interface for an ableton live set it wouldn't work for that but I don't do that poo poo anyway

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

toadee posted:

yeah they work pre send they just don't send down the USB channels

so then it's the same as the TASCAM/Soundcraft?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

so then it's the same as the TASCAM/Soundcraft?

I guess so? Again like I said, once I saw that the channel strip/faders weren't sent via the USB channels I didn't care about anything else and stopped looking at it

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

toadee posted:

I guess so? Again like I said, once I saw that the channel strip/faders weren't sent via the USB channels I didn't care about anything else and stopped looking at it

thanks, that's good to know but I think for my use cases is irrelevant. If I'm recording into Logic via the Tascam I want to be able to crank input gain on the preamp but I don't need to use the mixers eq or effects. Then I can mix in Logic using the faders over midi.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

thanks, that's good to know but I think for my use cases is irrelevant. If I'm recording into Logic via the Tascam I want to be able to crank input gain on the preamp but I don't need to use the mixers eq or effects. Then I can mix in Logic using the faders over midi.

For me then I wondered why I would be paying for this big mixing interface without ever using the mixer. At that point you might as well just get a nice high density audio interface, or even that RME card with 4 8-channel ADAT inputs and then expand with whatever ADA Converters you want etc etc. Like, I guess I just don't get the point of a mixer, with multichannel USB audio, where the entire control surface doesn't affect the USB audio at all?

To that end, it would be really need to have a USB mixer that was configurable, in such that the channel strip knobs/faders could control DAW elements instead of their analog channel if you wanted/also provide some transport controls etc sent to the DAW. In fact, there's a real lack of mixer-style DAW controllers that aren't either only a few channels, or like, ABSURDLY expensive.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

toadee posted:

For me then I wondered why I would be paying for this big mixing interface without ever using the mixer. At that point you might as well just get a nice high density audio interface, or even that RME card with 4 8-channel ADAT inputs and then expand with whatever ADA Converters you want etc etc. Like, I guess I just don't get the point of a mixer, with multichannel USB audio, where the entire control surface doesn't affect the USB audio at all?

To that end, it would be really need to have a USB mixer that was configurable, in such that the channel strip knobs/faders could control DAW elements instead of their analog channel if you wanted/also provide some transport controls etc sent to the DAW. In fact, there's a real lack of mixer-style DAW controllers that aren't either only a few channels, or like, ABSURDLY expensive.

the model 12 does have a daw control feature that separates it from the other models 16, 24. so it does behave like a daw control surface. it's just that the incoming audio will be captured pre-channel strip during recording. for playback you can use it like a mixer for the daw

anyway I'm getting it for the non-daw non-computer features lol

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

the model 12 does have a daw control feature that separates it from the other models 16, 24. so it does behave like a daw control surface. it's just that the incoming audio will be captured pre-channel strip during recording. for playback you can use it like a mixer for the daw

That does make it cooler! I wonder why not have that feature in the others???

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I keep considering a DP-24SD because I’m insane lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

edit: ^^^ lol

toadee posted:

That does make it cooler! I wonder why not have that feature in the others???

I don't know... I had a DP24 back in the day and it sent midi signals that you could control logic with. but you had to go in and map the midi signals by hand. I think this is a more integrated version of that approach

edit again \/\/ yeah, its doubling as a control surface after you captured all the audio into your DAW. But the DAW isn't sending the individual audio channels back into the mixer for re processing or anything

I think to really do everything like that you want something like this https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/mixers/01v96i/index.html

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 3, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Do these mixers that can multichannel into your daw also let you multichannel back out to the mixer? Like you'd use it as a replacement for the mixer in your daw? Using it like that, it'd make some sense that the recordings would be unaffected by the channel strips. Just trying to puzzle together how a manufacturer might think it will be used.

E: I see that was answered already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Do these mixers that can multichannel into your daw also let you multichannel back out to the mixer? Like you'd use it as a replacement for the mixer in your daw? Using it like that, it'd make some sense that the recordings would be unaffected by the channel strips. Just trying to puzzle together how a manufacturer might think it will be used.

E: I see that was answered already

yes they do, they all do. My Soundcraft has a button on each channel strip to do USB return, and then the audio from the DAW gets piped back into the Fader, etc.

the whole “mixer doesn’t affect USB at all” BS that people are repeating here

toadee posted:

is completely incorrect.