Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The fuckability scale runs from 10 (Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca) to 0 (Nick Swardson in anything). Let's run the numbers:

OT
Luke Skywalker - 5.4
Leia Organa - 8.1
Han Solo - 10.0 (8.9 in Jedi)
Lando Calrissian - 9.5
Darth Vader - #VALUE!

PT
Anakin Skywalker - 5.9
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 7.7
Padme Amidala - 6.3
Padme's Decoy - 7.1
Yoda - 3.9
Chancellor Sheeve Palpatine - 5.7

TFA
Rey Redacted - 6.8
"Finn" - 5.7
Poe Dameron - 9.4
Kylo Ren - 5.3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

hhhat posted:

The blowing up the planets was exactly from anh because it's to show you that they can blow up planets. And then they point it at the planet where all the people in the movie are. Danger!

That's not impending danger; they just blew up the entire Republic.

They could have just smash-cut to credits, because the movie is effectively over at that point.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's pretty damning when you compare the tension with Leia just standing there watching a screen during the Death Star attack in ANH versus the lack of tension when she's standing there looking at a similar screen in TFA. Both have the same underlying logic hole- why don't the Rebels just get in their ships and leave the planet? - but through the magic of editing, and music, and good stuff like that, the situation at the Rebel base feels urgent in ANH compared to TFA. There's no oh poo poo "Death Star is cleared to fire" moment to be found here. We don't even have any feel for where the Resistance base is in relation to the rest of the action.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Toilet Mouth posted:

It's pretty damning when you compare the tension with Leia just standing there watching a screen during the Death Star attack in ANH versus the lack of tension when she's standing there looking at a similar screen in TFA. Both have the same underlying logic hole- why don't the Rebels just get in their ships and leave the planet? - but through the magic of editing, and music, and good stuff like that, the situation at the Rebel base feels urgent in ANH compared to TFA. There's no oh poo poo "Death Star is cleared to fire" moment to be found here. We don't even have any feel for where the Resistance base is in relation to the rest of the action.
The destruction of Starkiller base is window dressing for the actual conflict between Rey and Kylo Ren.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Baronash posted:

The destruction of Starkiller base is window dressing for the actual conflict between Rey and Kylo Ren.

Then don't put it there

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'm starting to think that the people who say they like RotJ a lot haven't genuinely examined it as a film

Could be wrong though

I loved it as a kid and it has some great móments (Luke/Emperor confrontation mainly) but it's really simple and well there is lot of dumb poo poo either added later or already present (Ewoks, weird Jabba singer scene, that bizarre rat thing next to Jabba, Ewoks well you know Jabba in general was just really pervy and creepy instead of being scary). It's definitely the weakest of the original three.

site posted:

Rotj ended up the way it did because Lucas has admitted to only having half a movie's worth of story and was just like well I'll throw in another death star to give all the non Luke cast something to do in the back half.

Still a fun movie.

What's the new movie's excuse though

Toilet Mouth posted:

It's weird because unlike the prequels they have good actors all around here (Kylo Ren being terrible in my opinion doesn't mean that the actor doesn't pull a whiny piece of poo poo perfectly) who are actually allowed to show their emotions but it just feels so weightless. They kill like ten times the people that died in Alderaan and exactly five seconds is spent on reflecting it. Han Solo's death barely seems to elicit much of a reaction from Leia. Seriously what a lovely end to one of my favorite movie relationships. Instead of seeing Rey grow as a character she is perfect fighter/mechanic/pilot from the start and can more then hold her own against Kylo Ren. Finn actually had flaws and generally didn't know poo poo which was great.

The first half of the movie actually had tension and potentially threatening enemies. Then in the second half they get owned by few rookies, an old man, Chewbacca and what seems to be honestly less the a dozen X-wings. Was the First Order supposed to be the underdog here?

Maybe Kylo Ren is the real protagonist :raise: he certainly had a much more difficult and tension-filled arc...

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 16, 2016

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Toilet Mouth posted:

The fuckability scale runs from 10 (Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca) to 0 (Nick Swardson in anything). Let's run the numbers:

OT
Luke Skywalker - 5.4
Leia Organa - 8.1
Lando Calrissian - 9.5
Darth Vader - #VALUE!

PT
Anakin Skywalker - 5.9
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 7.7
Padme Amidala - 6.3
Padme's Decoy - 7.1
Yoda - 3.9

TFA
Rey Redacted - 6.8
"Finn" - 5.7
Poe Dameron - 9.4
Kylo Ren - 5.3

A good post.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Toilet Mouth posted:

OT
Luke Skywalker - 5.4
Leia Organa - 8.1
Lando Calrissian - 9.5
Darth Vader - #VALUE!

PT
Anakin Skywalker - 5.9
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 7.7
Padme Amidala - 6.3
Padme's Decoy - 7.1
Yoda - 3.9

TFA
Rey Redacted - 6.8
"Finn" - 5.7
Poe Dameron - 9.4
Kylo Ren - 5.3

Those TFA scores are hilariously low.

Adam Driver is like... Jesus loving christ

Rey does have cankles.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tesb Harrison Ford though is like the sexiest man who ever lived.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Tesb Harrison Ford though is like the sexiest man who ever lived.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am going to marry poe dameron

the character who cares about the actor

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

Rey does have cankles.

Adam Driver does an admirable job toeing the line between brooding and pouting, but in the end he falls off of it into downright sniveling.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My girlfriend's favorite character was BB8. She wants to gently caress a soccer ball :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, he kicks rear end.

In other news, Mondo has some new potraits for sale by Mike Mitchell.

Bossk and Tarkin

$55 US each, available for 72 hours only.

http://mondotees.com/

These pictures don't do them justice - they are so vibrant and beautiful in person. I managed to snag Iron Man from the silver age a year ago (wish I could get more but it was limited) - just a beautiful piece. They recently just did Luke in his Rogue Squadron gear too (hopefully you picked that up if you knew about it).

Ya these really are sexy.

Wish I could afford them, but if I never snagged Luke there's pretty much no point and it's almost more cost efficient if I printed out high quality reproductions at a print shop. :filez:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Rey does have cankles.

If they manage to make him some sort of sexy heartthrob in magazines and poo poo I'm just going to give up OK

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Forget Rogue One. I want Disney to make a spinoff star wars feature film about these two droids:

https://youtu.be/LriNdGsU0Js

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Toilet Mouth posted:

OT
Luke Skywalker - 5.4
Leia Organa - 8.1
Lando Calrissian - 9.5
Darth Vader - #VALUE!

PT
Anakin Skywalker - 5.9
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 7.7
Padme Amidala - 6.3
Padme's Decoy - 7.1
Yoda - 3.9

TFA
Rey Redacted - 6.8
"Finn" - 5.7
Poe Dameron - 9.4
Kylo Ren - 5.3

No Hux no sale.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

wyoming posted:

It's a stand-in for likability. When people say there aren't likeable characters, they're really bitching they wouldn't gently caress or grab a beer with these dudes.
It's a meaningless way to value a film is all, great films can be about horrible people and such.
It's from an SMG post so it's been memed.

I think you might be right, sort of. I've thought about this, and the term I would rather say is 'relatability'. A character can be a piece of poo poo but there's something about them that draws us to them due to maybe something we've felt or perhaps share similar views or what have you. It's a full on personal thing. But I think there's something to it.

Although it's a hard concept to lock down. Like, I really love Ralph Finnes character in Schindler's List, but he's by far the worst piece of poo poo in the film. I wouldn't even call him relatable or likable, but the character is absolutely compelling.

Or maybe compelling is the best word! I don't know! I just know that nothing the prequel characters do (outside of Obi Wan because he's p neat) is something i can relate too. I could on a basic level, but the way they go about it is just, yeesh. Not my thang.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

I think you might be right, sort of. I've thought about this, and the term I would rather say is 'relatability'. A character can be a piece of poo poo but there's something about them that draws us to them due to maybe something we've felt or perhaps share similar views or what have you. It's a full on personal thing. But I think there's something to it.

Although it's a hard concept to lock down. Like, I really love Ralph Finnes character in Schindler's List, but he's by far the worst piece of poo poo in the film. I wouldn't even call him relatable or likable, but the character is absolutely compelling.

Or maybe compelling is the best word! I don't know! I just know that nothing the prequel characters do (outside of Obi Wan because he's p neat) is something i can relate too. I could on a basic level, but the way they go about it is just, yeesh. Not my thang.

People generally don't like to see themselves as fuckups, so that might be one factor.

Like I don't think it's any coincidence that Palpatine is the fan favorite for the PT.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/15/media/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-rey-parents/index.html

J. J. Abrams posted:

Rey's parents are not in Episode VII.

Please let this stick. Anything would be better than Rey Skywalker.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Whenever I look at BBC's decline into clickbait, I can at least console myself with the fact that it's not CNN.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

everything is proceeding as I have foreseen :sheevin:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Slugworth posted:

My girlfriend's favorite character was BB8. She wants to gently caress a soccer ball :(

Who doesn't? I've never bought any Star Wars merchandise beyond the home video releases and one or two tie-in books but I bought a plush BB-8 because he is ridiculously adorable which I guess translates to "eminently fuckable" on C/D's weird scale.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Fuckable: tfa anh esb rotj

Maybe passing out drunk: tpm aotc rots

Not even in a Serbian film: holiday special and ewok movies

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
You gotta be making GBS threads me with the Padme fuckability. Leia an 8 is okay, but there needs to be a few decimal points added for the beginning of RotJ alone. Padme definitely deserves to be in the 7-8 range, as well. Sure, as a Queen she was pretty bad--but once she stops acting the queen from that point on in all three movies she's higher.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Star Wars: The Fuckable Character Ratings Discussion

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

G-III posted:

Forget Rogue One. I want Disney to make a spinoff star wars feature film about these two droids:

https://youtu.be/LriNdGsU0Js

Still more entertaining than the prequels.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

the most fuckable character is that singer robot at Maz's cantina

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I bet Lobot is down with some freaky poo poo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

He actually says "Rey doesn't discover her parents in Episode 7". Which could mean anything from "they don't show up at all" to "she hasn't discovered they're her parents", or even just "she only discovered one of them, not both of them".

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/15/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-rey-parents

quote:

UPDATE: After the Q&A, EW caught up with J.J. Abrams and he clarified his comments. The director says he was only trying to point out that The Force Awakens builds up the mystery of Rey’s parents without resolving it. “What I meant was that she doesn’t discover them in Episode VII. Not that they may not already be in her world,” Abrams said.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

J. J. Abrams posted:

Rey's parents are not in Episode VII

FOOL ME ONCE J.J.

Can't be fooled again!

:colbert:

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

High Lord Elbow posted:

Still more entertaining than the prequels.

Agreed

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Rey's dad is General Hux you heard it here 1st.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Have we been talking about characters' fuckability for 20 pages or did this just come back up

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i wish i had been right and fuckability was a word filter thing

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

computer parts posted:

He actually says "Rey doesn't discover her parents in Episode 7". Which could mean anything from "they don't show up at all" to "she hasn't discovered they're her parents", or even just "she only discovered one of them, not both of them".

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/15/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-rey-parents

I don't understand why they're playing so coy about it.

Also, it's funny reading all these headlines that distort people's comments completely. I think last week Daisy Ridley said something about how she feels that Rey's parentage isn't as important (to Daisy) as Rey's emotional journey, and that was turned into "Rey's parents aren't important! Rey Skywalker de-confirmed!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Neowyrm posted:

Have we been talking about characters' fuckability for 20 pages or did this just come back up

Search your feelings....

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Really, her mom should be Sheev though we're agreed yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Zoran posted:

I don't understand why they're playing so coy about it.

Also, it's funny reading all these headlines that distort people's comments completely. I think last week Daisy Ridley said something about how she feels that Rey's parentage isn't as important (to Daisy) as Rey's emotional journey, and that was turned into "Rey's parents aren't important! Rey Skywalker de-confirmed!"

Because its things like that that put asses into seats, quite simply.

• Locked thread