Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

How on earth did Duggan have any kind of pull? He's was popular sure, but he was a popular midcarder.

The secret is everyone has pull if you are willing to just say gently caress it and gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ChrisBTY posted:

How on earth did Duggan have any kind of pull? He's was popular sure, but he was a popular midcarder.

He's a friend of Hogan, it's also how he won the US title off Steve Austin in thirty-five seconds as soon as he was hired by WCW.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I will say the infrequency with which Hacksaw actually lost made it stunning as gently caress when he did. Yokozuna just straight up murdering him set the stage for his next year

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He's a friend of Hogan, it's also how he won the US title off Steve Austin in thirty-five seconds as soon as he was hired by WCW.
isn’t that like the number one reason it was Hogan/Rock instead of Hogan/Austin at WM18? Austin refused to work with him because of getting held down in WCW?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hacksaw Duggan ruled. What the gently caress

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He also, for whatever reason, won the first Royal Rumble.

That didn't mean as much as you'd think, though- the Royal Rumble didn't have any kind of ongoing stakes to it until 1992 (when it was for the WWF title) and 1993 was when they made it so the winner challenges for the belt at Wrestlemania.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The first one was just a special that aired for free in opposition of starcade.

Until 92 it was just a ppv where the hulkster got to bury 29 jobbers at once, brother. Everyone loves battle royals, so why not charge them $25 for a really long one and some undercard matches.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Hacksaw gave a really good, emotional promo against Hulk Hogan after he joined the nWo. I’m not sure if it ever led to a match.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's why Hogan insisting he should win (again) instead of Perfect that one year makes no loving sense. There was literally no benefit except to get over with the crowd, and I believe he was champion at the time as well.

EDIT: Regarding Duggan, Russo's "unpredictable" booking had become so predictable by 2000 that Duggan's heel turn to join Team Canada was completely expected and boring when it should have been a huge moment.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

That's why Hogan insisting he should win (again) instead of Perfect that one year makes no loving sense. There was literally no benefit except to get over with the crowd, and I believe he was champion at the time as well.

turns out two cokeheads yelling at each other is gripping entertainment to under 12 year olds.

Also Jim Duggan was basically a guy that ran people over, it was great. He looked like someone fished out of a barfight to wrestle. WWF gave him a merch gimmick because Vince is scared of bars and barfights.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

If you tape your fist, your knuckles are less likely to break if you punch harder

Hey that makes sense. i never thought of that.

Thanks.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
On Art of Wrestling Dugan broke down his character to the board, the flag, the tongue and the thumb. He had a saying that he kept repeating but I forget it.

Remember when Dugan had his own Survivor Series team? The 4 x 4s? And Bret Hart was on it and everyone had a board they brought to the ring? That was cool af to a 10 yr old.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Hes a college educated man.

*laughs hysterically for about 14 minutes*

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EDIT: Regarding Duggan, Russo's "unpredictable" booking had become so predictable by 2000 that Duggan's heel turn to join Team Canada was completely expected and boring when it should have been a huge moment.

2000 Jim Duggan turning heel was never going to be a huge moment and as dumb and pointless as it was, Jim Duggan playing a Canadian Al Bundy was one of the only entertaining things in Fall 2000 WCW.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
2000 WCW was such a wasteland that dumb little things like that, which would maybe raise a light chuckle, were like water in the desert.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did anybody else really like Doom? Simmons and Reed were a good team

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Randaconda posted:

Did anybody else really like Doom? Simmons and Reed were a good team

They were good once they lost the masks.

The American Dream posted:

Until 92 it was just a ppv where the hulkster got to bury 29 jobbers at once, brother. Everyone loves battle royals, so why not charge them $25 for a really long one and some undercard matches.

As someone who loved battle royals as a young'n, the Rumble was right up my alley. Once they made if for a Wrestlemania spot, it lost a lot of its luster, since any unpredictably over who'd win was tossed away.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 27, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know WCW has internal problems forever but when did the numbers really start to fall in the Bischoff era? They were doing great business until '99, right?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

NikkolasKing posted:

I know WCW has internal problems forever but when did the numbers really start to fall in the Bischoff era? They were doing great business until '99, right?

Ratings sum up here: https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/Monday_Night_Wars_Ratings

The lead had been trading back and forth from April 1998 onwards with both sides getting ratings above a Nielsen 4 (with occasional dips and pre-emptions).

Last Nitro lead was October 26 when they beat RAW 5.1 to 4.5. After this Nitro kept getting strong ratings for quite a while, it's just that RAW were getting stronger ones. Case in point: Nitro's first two shows of 1999 got 5s, but were up against RAW shows getting 5.7 and 5.5. It should be pointed out that one of these shows was the "fingerpoke of doom".

Where it started to fall off was spring of 1999. Nitro started to get scores in the high 3s and low 4s where before they were in the high 4s with the occasional 5. Ratings then started to steadily drop. They got their first score below 3 in August 1999 and their last show with a score above 4 in September 1999. It's worth pointing out that these were the same sort of numbers they were getting while crushing RAW in the ratings in 1997, it was just that their opponent show had caught fire in a way they hadn't. Even into 2000 they were getting mid-range 2s, it's just that Turner didn't think it was worth keeping the company going at that level of business..

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Hacksaw was the perfect Hacksaw, and that character has a place in wrestling. He was entertaining. It took a miracle to get a good match out of him, but it’s okay to have a couple of people even in modern wrestling who aren’t great in the ring but are good characters.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lamuella posted:

Ratings sum up here: https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/Monday_Night_Wars_Ratings

The lead had been trading back and forth from April 1998 onwards with both sides getting ratings above a Nielsen 4 (with occasional dips and pre-emptions).

Last Nitro lead was October 26 when they beat RAW 5.1 to 4.5. After this Nitro kept getting strong ratings for quite a while, it's just that RAW were getting stronger ones. Case in point: Nitro's first two shows of 1999 got 5s, but were up against RAW shows getting 5.7 and 5.5. It should be pointed out that one of these shows was the "fingerpoke of doom".

Where it started to fall off was spring of 1999. Nitro started to get scores in the high 3s and low 4s where before they were in the high 4s with the occasional 5. Ratings then started to steadily drop. They got their first score below 3 in August 1999 and their last show with a score above 4 in September 1999. It's worth pointing out that these were the same sort of numbers they were getting while crushing RAW in the ratings in 1997, it was just that their opponent show had caught fire in a way they hadn't. Even into 2000 they were getting mid-range 2s, it's just that Turner didn't think it was worth keeping the company going at that level of business..

they were barely doing business to keep the lights on in 2000

ratings were one thing, but they still needed PPV revenue and live attendance back then and those had more or less completely collapsed

while the high watermarks of the 1999 PPVs were less than 1997 or 1998s successes, they still had a great bitrate

Superbrawl 2000 by comparison was the first WCW PPV to draw under 100k buys in about 4 years, and the company only topped 100k twice more before the end 14 months later.

meanwhile live show attendance cratered in Fall 1999 and they started cutting house shows.

it was so bad that they were barely running non-TV tapings at all in 2000 and could only justify running 1 heavilly papered tv taping a week because poo poo was so bad

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

granted the main part of the reason for house shows dying off was the constant no-shows and false advertising, i went to a house show in east rutherford where the advertised main event in 1997 was diamond dallas page vs scott hall. they were both on the card but in totally different matches, ddp wrestling chavo guerrero jr and scott hall teaming with vincent against two locals who i cant remember. the main event wound up being steiners vs the quebecers.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 7, 2019

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

STONE COLD 64 posted:

granted the main part of the reason for house shows dying off was the constant no-shows and false advertising, i went to a house show in east rutherford where the advertised main event in 1997 was diamond dallas page vs scott hall. they were both on the card but in totally different matches, ddp wrestling chavo guerrero jr and scott hall teaming with vincent against two locals who i cant remember. the main event wound up being steiners vs the quebecers.

"You didn't get Goldberg and you didn't get Sting, but you got Buff, and he's the stuff."

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

But according to the WWE false advertising matches will never blow up in a companies face!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

If only Vision 2030 was Vision 2010 WCW would still be alive.
(Excuse me I have to wash the vomit out of my lap)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

and on the occasions someone actually showed up to work wcw was so obsessed with #swerves(or wrestlers refused to do the job) that those matches wouldn't happen properly anyway

jesus WEP posted:

isn’t that like the number one reason it was Hogan/Rock instead of Hogan/Austin at WM18? Austin refused to work with him because of getting held down in WCW?

it might not be so much a grudge as it is basic pattern recognition, feuding with hogan never turns out well for anyone but hogan

how rock got a good match out of him is still a loving mystery

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Punch McLightning posted:

Hacksaw was the perfect Hacksaw, and that character has a place in wrestling. He was entertaining. It took a miracle to get a good match out of him, but it’s okay to have a couple of people even in modern wrestling who aren’t great in the ring but are good characters.

that would've been fine if he was a jobber rather than someone who always wins. it was impossible to buy hacksaw as a threat

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/richard_alan/status/1113226345209835521

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 18, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
who the gently caress hates chocolate cake

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Willing suspension of disbelief in wrestling is one thing. This hairline is quite another.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lamuella posted:

Willing suspension of disbelief in wrestling is one thing. This hairline is quite another.

I think it’s a perfectly good Hollywood Adam Page

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I love Hacksaw :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo that bugs/DDP shirt

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo that bugs/DDP shirt

Ah yes, the 90s, when Warner Bros were putting Looney Tunes on loving everything.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ah yes, the 90s, when Warner Bros were putting Looney Tunes on loving everything.

I'm convinced there are still tens of millions of shirts with Tazz on them being worn the world over

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

I'm convinced there are still tens of millions of shirts with Tazz on them being worn the world over

I saw an old woman the other day with a Tazz tattoo so faded it looked like a birthmark

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember yosemite sam tats being a thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

I remember yosemite sam tats being a thing.

He's still all over truck mudflaps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

getting to go to the warner brothers store was the highlight of my visits to oakbrook mall

wish i had kept some of that poo poo, could have made bank on ebay