Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

But are they the correct shade of green

That’s easy. Blame the shade on wash lady being over enthusiastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

grassy gnoll posted:

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this version. This really pops compared to your first drafts.

I grabbed the airborne HQ blister to try myself. Do you mind going over your materials and process?

Thanks!

The base layers are all put down with an airbrush. I did a Zenithal highlight then hit the whole model with Vallejo Middlestone. Picked out the webbing with Iraqi sand (Vallejo), helmets & patches with Medium Olive (Vallejo), pouches & packs with German Orange Ochre (Vallejo). The boots and chest strap are Mournfang Brown(GW). Leather bits on the helmet are Dryad Bark (GW). I then washed the entire model with Agrax Earthsade (GW) watered down a little bit.

Once dried, I went over the helmet, grenades, flashlight & radio with U.S. Dark Green, hit the knee patches with Medium Olive again to bring them back up and did the webbing with Screaming Skull (GW). The leather bits on the helmet I touched up with Gothor Brown (GW). I also outlined the patches with Black (Vallejo).

I did the flesh at this point as well. Super fast and easy - Cadian Fleshtone (GW), a thinned wash of Reikland Fleshshade (GW) then a highlight of Kislev Flesh (GW).

Arquinsiel posted:

This is a massive improvement.

Side-question though: are you spray undercoating on your GW painting handle? That might not be the best idea long-term.

Thanks! I did a while ago when I was working on a character model for Legion. All my other corks were occupied.

LingcodKilla posted:

Your paint job is super

Love the paint job. They look great.

However if those are double buckle boots they wouldn’t be fielded with paratroopers until the after all the M1942 uniforms were completely worn to shreds. So market garden at the latest. The jump boots were jealously hoarded and only reluctantly replaced with the double buckle 1943 boots.

Thank you! Yeah, unfortunately I didn't sculpt the models myself, that's just how they come.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Played some Blood and Plunder finally. This is a pretty nice game that plays quickly and bloodily.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

LingcodKilla posted:

However if those are double buckle boots they wouldn’t be fielded with paratroopers until the after all the M1942 uniforms were completely worn to shreds. So market garden at the latest. The jump boots were jealously hoarded and only reluctantly replaced with the double buckle 1943 boots.

Do go into more detail.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Beerdeer posted:

Played some Blood and Plunder finally. This is a pretty nice game that plays quickly and bloodily.

Sounds nice, I haven't heard much about that game.

Meanwhile, Murawski Miniatures is going to have a couple of army deals the coming month. They have a Duchy of Warsaw brigade deal going now which I'll probably fall for. I'll see if I'll be able to resist other seasonal deals this year, as I spent pretty much the entire year catching up with stuff I bought last time.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Meanwhile, transantlantic shipping turns $7 worth of SOVIET MANZ into about a $50 purchase.

Thanks for not shipping to Lithuania, Dreamforge.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The obvious solution is to get another $21 worth of mans so that you can sell them on and turn a profit :pseudo:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

The obvious solution is to get another $21 worth of mans so that you can sell them on and turn a profit :pseudo:

The obvious solution is to buy far too many Napoleonic battalions instead.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

lilljonas posted:

The obvious solution is to buy far too many Napoleonic battalions instead.

:allears:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Damnit lilljonas, that's your answer to everything.

(That doesn't mean it's wrong. )

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/French_Russian_order_of_battle_Borodino.htm

Why did you have to bring 5 battalion strong regiments into Russia, Davout? You bastard.

But I'm roughly one third through Friant's 2nd Division now, which is kind of the one I've decided on settling for. 17 battalions of madness, plus more than a metre's width of artillery bases. But then I'll end up getting a bunch of other infantry regiments, starting with more Poles, as well. Steer free of Napoleonics before it's too late.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 13, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

JcDent posted:

Do go into more detail.

His paint jobs are great. Like really nice I hope mine come out that good.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Meanwhile, transantlantic shipping turns $7 worth of SOVIET MANZ into about a $50 purchase.

Thanks for not shipping to Lithuania, Dreamforge.

You should've let me know you were on the hunt for glorious ratnik, I'd have kept an eye out at Crisis.

Edit; or just listen to liljonas, he's right you know

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lilljonas posted:

Steer free of Napoleonics before it's too late.

Agreed. 1792 forever. The men of 1789, 1796, and accursed 1799 are traitors, cowards, and reactionaries all.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/French_Russian_order_of_battle_Borodino.htm

Why did you have to bring 5 battalion strong regiments into Russia, Davout? You bastard.

But I'm roughly one third through Friant's 2nd Division now, which is kind of the one I've decided on settling for. 17 battalions of madness, plus more than a metre's width of artillery bases. But then I'll end up getting a bunch of other infantry regiments, starting with more Poles, as well. Steer free of Napoleonics before it's too late.

I visited Paris a couple of years back and stopped by Les Invalides. They have a room full of miniatures there and it was very inspiring. At some point I really want to try painting up some Napoleonic's.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

I visited Paris a couple of years back and stopped by Les Invalides. They have a room full of miniatures there and it was very inspiring. At some point I really want to try painting up some Napoleonic's.

Napoleonics is one of those things that I really couldn't understand the appeal of, until I started collecting it. And now I have so many different things I want to eventually cover, from Swiss to Bavarians and Naples, KGL, etc. It's a pretty great period from an army collecting point of view, with an amazing amount of variety that you simply don't get just a few decades later.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Say I wanted to collect some French Revolutionary War minis, just to paint and display. What sculptors should I be looking at?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

grassy gnoll posted:

Say I wanted to collect some French Revolutionary War minis, just to paint and display. What sculptors should I be looking at?

Eureka!

Disclaimer: I play 1812 Russians. But my regular French opponent has some of these and they look good.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Ohhh poo poo, they've got mob members and a representative-on-mission! Thanks!

E: the mob is sold out, it must be thermidor in here

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I ordered a whole bunch of Calpe french napoleonics, since I had bought a lot of sprues of Warlord's Late French on a previous sprue sale and they don't come with command. The Calpe minis turned up today, and not only are the sculpts great but they seem to size up well with the Warlord stuff.

Warlord has the French sprues on sale again for their Black Friday event: https://www.warlordgames.com/warlord-games-black-friday-offers-2019/

So if you want to get a bunch of Frenchies on the cheap I fully recommend getting the Calpe command sets instead of the Warlord metal ones, as they are much better looking and I think they're even cheaper as well.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lilljonas posted:

I ordered a whole bunch of Calpe french napoleonics, since I had bought a lot of sprues of Warlord's Late French on a previous sprue sale and they don't come with command. The Calpe minis turned up today, and not only are the sculpts great but they seem to size up well with the Warlord stuff.

Warlord has the French sprues on sale again for their Black Friday event: https://www.warlordgames.com/warlord-games-black-friday-offers-2019/

So if you want to get a bunch of Frenchies on the cheap I fully recommend getting the Calpe command sets instead of the Warlord metal ones, as they are much better looking and I think they're even cheaper as well.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Update on my airborne: Finished painting them all this morning before work. Dullcoting tonight and basing tomorrow, so full force shots coming this weekend!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Warlord sprues seem to be capped at 5 per customer, but that's hopefully enough for some first steps. Towards Moscow.

Oh no.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

The Warlord sprues seem to be capped at 5 per customer, but that's hopefully enough for some first steps. Towards Moscow.

Oh no.

It begins... :P

Five sprues of late war French in greatcoats will give you just about a battalion, depending on if you go with 24 or 36 man battalions. A neat trick is to also get a box of Perry's plastics, and borrow a bunch of the extra heads in that box to get some variety. Some of the Warlord heads a tad towards the comical side. But then the Perrys will release an amazing looking pre-1812 box before Christmas, so I'd wait a month and see how that turns out. The previews are amazing this far and I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a few that will be turned into light infantry battalions.

Also the sprue sale is neat for beefing up existing forces and stuff, but six men for £2.50 is not as amazing as it sounds. There are lots of places where you can get Perry's box of 42 for £18, which gives you roughly the same price per mini, but you also get the command, more poses, etc.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 15, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions!

The Perrys' seem to have a mix of long coats and short - would they mix with the Warlord ones for Moscow?

And what would be the next step for the Russian side?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!

The Perrys' seem to have a mix of long coats and short - would they mix with the Warlord ones for Moscow?

And what would be the next step for the Russian side?

Yay, complicated uniform Nappy chap incoming!

The Perry box is for the 1812-1815 uniform (called "Bardin uniform" after Étienne-Alexandre Bardin who wrote the 1812 uniform regulations). They were confusingly enough not even universally worn by Waterloo in 1815, and only gradually introduced in 1813-14. So if you want to be fully historical "right shade of Soviet panzer green in 1941" correct, you should go with the pre-1812 uniform. Before 1812 the uniforms looked quite similar since back in the revolution. Until 1806-1807 they wore the old uniform with bicornes, and after that the old uniform with shakos.

The greatcoats, or capotes, that some of the Perry box wears was used both before and after 1812. The French army gradually started using various coats as they encountered rough weather and winter campaigns, but it was not a part of the official uniform at first. From 1806 they became a standard part of the infantry gear. The regulation colour of them was beige, but would depend on local access of cloth, taste of the colonel, logistics etc. But the dark blue greatcoat was reserved to the imperial guard.

Warlord has two sets of plastics, where the greatcoat one is also Bardin regulation. However, since the coats cover everything it's not that easy to see the difference, it's basically just the plate on the shako that differs if you can't see what's under the greatcoat. Perry is going to release a new set before Christmas that is the pre-1812 uniform, so it's going to be a great option for a French army going into Russia. I started my army by getting Bardin uniform minis, so I'm not sticking too strictly to one or the other type of uniforms. After all, I might want to play 1813-14 at some point as well. So don't sweat it too much. For me, the biggest point is that I consider the pre-1812 uniform to simply look better, so that's why I prefer it.

As for Russia, they made a major overhaul of the entire army after getting beaten in 1807. So the army would look quite different in 1812 than in 1807. Warlord makes two different sets, and you'll want the latter one. However, my clubmate who collects Russians says that you really should go for the Perry box for 1812 if you can.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 15, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks for that writeup!

Ok, so with the uneven rollout it wouldn't look odd to use all of those schemes? I feel like I could also lightly snow the bases on the greatcoat figures and it would look OK as well.

Waiting for the Perry pre '12 box sounds like an excellent idea for the French. I had no idea it was on the horizon, but there's my command element.

At least the Russians are easy!
(I'm sure they will not actually be easy.)

I'll heed your friend's advice and look for the Perry Russians box next.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Warlord doing their dumb rolling Black Friday deals again.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Class Warcraft posted:

Warlord doing their dumb rolling Black Friday deals again.

I saw that and was tempted for about five seconds. Then I realized I have like 3 boxes of WW2 Russians, 3 boxes of WW2 Americans, a couple boxes of WW2 Germans, a box each of Perry Afrika Korps and Desert Rats, and various associated tanks and vehicles, all still needing to be assembled and painted, and I said "eh". :v:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

Thanks for that writeup!

Ok, so with the uneven rollout it wouldn't look odd to use all of those schemes? I feel like I could also lightly snow the bases on the greatcoat figures and it would look OK as well.

Waiting for the Perry pre '12 box sounds like an excellent idea for the French. I had no idea it was on the horizon, but there's my command element.

At least the Russians are easy!
(I'm sure they will not actually be easy.)

I'll heed your friend's advice and look for the Perry Russians box next.

Uniforms in the French army would end up quite mixed for several reasons. One was that the colonel of the regiment had a big say in how strictly the regulations were followed, and the quartermaster would often wait with buying new items until the stores of old uniforms and equipment ran out. Another that it was popular among the more veteran regiments to keep older gear to show their veteran status. Also, the soldiers were docked pay for items that were lost or broken quicker than the expected lifespan. This made it very tempting to get someting similar on the cheap to replace a torn pair of breeches.

Finally, once on campaign, equipment and uniforms rapidly deteriorated and were replaced on the go by looting whatever came by. Large stocks of civilian cloth as well as the enemy's storage facitilites were used to make especially trousers and coats. There are stories of desperate French soldiers stealing pillowcases and turning them into pants, as well as Polish regiments ending up using confiscated Austrian cloth for new uniforms, confusingly turning up in white coats instead of dark blue. That's why you'll see lots of pictures of troops on campaign in weird looking pants, from patched up homesewn ones to striped pants in various colours.

As a bonus for French players, several armies used the French uniform but with other colours. So you can use the same minis for Swiss if you want to try red uniforms, Italians (same as French but green instead of blue), Neapolitans (a whole range of colours because Murat was the swankiest fashionista of Europe), Croats (if you miss that WW2 painting and want to paint, well, brown) etc.

I made a greatcoat painting guide based on the Warlord guys in preatcoats if you're looking for inspiration on paint choices:
https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonics-blog/painting-french-greatcoats

The Russian regular infantry mainly come in two kinds, infantry and jagers (which is kind of the light infantry of the Russians). Both had elite troops attached to each battalion, grenadiers and strelski for infantry and carabiniers and strelski for jagers. Both kinds can be made with the perry box. There were also some special grenadiers formations that can be made by conversion sets that Perry sells directly on their website. Some of the grenadiers kept the cool old-school mitre cap, if you want to do something very different.

I'm not very well versed in the Russian army, but you can see a primer here:

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Russian_infantry.htm

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 16, 2019

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I love that Grenadiers wear mitres because it's hard to sling your musket to get your hands free to throw grenades if you are wearing a tricorn.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Seems like a great way to blow your own head off.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Seems like a great way to blow your own head off.

It's a very common pose for some reason.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Much like all the fingering the trigger in all those WW2 photos, I assume safety wasn't a big deal then.

But it's literally the first thing we learn as reenactors with muskets.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The 2019 TG secret santa is open, spread the joys of the correct Napoleonic uniforms to other goons through the power of gifting

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Much like all the fingering the trigger in all those WW2 photos, I assume safety wasn't a big deal then.

But it's literally the first thing we learn as reenactors with muskets.

If they're blank-firing muskets it's probably because nobody wants anyone to blow off someone's face with a blank. If they're inert props, it's probably someone zealously teaching modern firearms safety out of a belief that this must be drilled into people just in case they ever handle real firearms.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LatwPIAT posted:

If they're blank-firing muskets it's probably because nobody wants anyone to blow off someone's face with a blank. If they're inert props, it's probably someone zealously teaching modern firearms safety out of a belief that this must be drilled into people just in case they ever handle real firearms.

Zealously? Really now it’s just common sense humans are dumb.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

Zealously? Really now it’s just common sense humans are dumb.

Zealous isn't the same as over-zealous.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

To be fair, in that picture of the grenadier the lock is forward so the musket is safe.

It’s not good practice in any sense, but he’s not going to blow his head off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Endman posted:

To be fair, in that picture of the grenadier the lock is forward so the musket is safe.

It’s not good practice in any sense, but he’s not going to blow his head off.

I cant imagine muskets were generally kept loaded either for fear of damp getting in