Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Sheep-Goats posted:

Uber is entering the motorcycle taxi market in Thailand. Apparently they (or someone else?) already do the same in Jakarta.

https://newsroom.uber.com/thailand/ubermoto-en/

I hope they don't try to regulate the quality of the bikes like they do the cars. A motosai ain't right unless it's a heap.

Go-Jek and Grab Taxi / Grab Bike in Indonesia, yep. And GoJek is the poo poo. It takes the bullshit 100k rupiah starting quote that every ojek scammer opens with and spits in its face. It gives a reasonable price that isn't over the top, every time.+1 GoJek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

You can already feel a change in the air toward how Thai and other Asians view foreigners. 10 years ago, it was much more positive and friendly. It's still friendly because of the currency differences and relative wealth of nations, but in 5-10 more years?

Laos and Cambodia still love tourists and white people on general, but yeah that's probably on its way out.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
A lot of ordinary Thai people who don't work in tourism will say they dislike or even hate the Chinese now, for no reason other than coming into contact with them being the most obnoxious visitors. It's superficial though, they don't feel any great antipathy to the Chinese people as a nation, just the jerks that end up in their temples and restaurants.

Already people might smile to your face but privately think you're a ฝรั่งขี้นก. "Don't be a dick" is a good rule of thumb wherever you go in life.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 25, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I think the sad part is that people don't seem themselves as acting like a douche. I'M ON HOLIDAY OR I DO IT IN MY OWN COUNTRY, WHAT'S THE FUSS?

I didn't go to hostels and see back packers until after my 20's and drat they can be annoying because how cheap they can be.

Negligent posted:

Already people might smile to your face but privately think you're a ฝรั่งขี้นก. "Don't be a dick" is a good rule of thumb wherever you go in life.

Japan travel.txt

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Tourists are obnoxious and annoying?? Who'd have thought.

My wife and I had nothing but positive experiences while we were traveling around Thailand, but we've also been on vacation before and generally treat people with respect. However, I did get to watch a Chinese guy get dragged away by a soldier at the turtle sanctuary because he wouldn't stop touching the turtles despite there being signs and said soldier standing right next to the tank. It was amazing. :allears:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOWSFuoMT-0

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's pretty depressing that awful, garbage poo poo like this is so popular in this country.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

It's pretty depressing that awful, garbage poo poo like this is so popular in this country.

I've got a warm place in my heart for whipped fluff Thai comedy. I mean, I'd certainly rather watch that weird little show than any of the superhero movies that came out in the US last year.

It ain't art but it ain't trying to be either, nor is anyone going to step up and defend it along some hillbilly "well hurr durr I knew it ain't no fancy art human being poo poo like YEW like bewt" grounds either.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

No, lovely soap operas are lovely no matter what country they're made in, and they're popular worldwide so don't single out Thailand

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Yeah, Australia is responsible for Neighbours and Home & Away, which have been plaguing the airwaves since the late 80s. Viewers are supposedly much more sophisticated here than in Asia but the shows still rate highly and even get exported to Britain.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
They're doing the best they can without Adam Sandler.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pixelante posted:

They're doing the best they can without Adam Sandler.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

simplefish posted:

No, lovely soap operas are lovely no matter what country they're made in, and they're popular worldwide so don't single out Thailand

At least Western soap operas, while still poo poo, tend to focus on working class or at least 'normal' people and their everyday lives and relatable problems. Thai lakorns are pretty much exclusively about the rich elite - the only everyday Thai you'll see on a lakorn is either the main character's servant, or some sort of hilariously bad caricature (the random rapist that always seems to come out of nowhere to attack the female main character)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Bardeh posted:

At least Western soap operas, while still poo poo, tend to focus on working class or at least 'normal' people and their everyday lives and relatable problems. Thai lakorns are pretty much exclusively about the rich elite - the only everyday Thai you'll see on a lakorn is either the main character's servant, or some sort of hilariously bad caricature (the random rapist that always seems to come out of nowhere to attack the female main character)

Which American soaps are focused on working class or normal?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Which American soaps are focused on working class or normal?

I probably should have said UK soap operas (although the Aussie ones we get in the UK seem like that too)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The Wire? Law & Order? Breaking Bad? Better Call Saul? American Justice? Orange Is The New Black? I bet if I went on I could come up with, like, 20+, and the only argument would be, "Oh well those aren't soap operas, those are dramas" or whatever - and my response would be, oh okay, great, what are the great dramas made in Thailand? And the answer would be silence, because the only distinction is that America produces so much media that we bother to segment at all.

I was trying to find this episode of something like 60 Minutes I saw years ago where they profiled a production house in a country like Israel or somewhere where they write soap operas for foreign markets, bring in local writers to localize them, then film them all scene after scene with each cultural group. TV is stupid everywhere, which is why I haven't owned a TV in just a decade now, but if you're being remotely rational, the heavily localized [ahem, let us say "official propaganda"]-news-plus-screamer/slapper-lakorn culture you'll find here is a kind of hot house environment you can't replicate back home.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 27, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Really? No Thai dramas? Not even the historical related ones?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

Really? No Thai dramas? Not even the historical related ones?
Like I said, onus isn't on me - if every drama is a soap them the point is moot. If we're segmenting, then name some. Naresuan movies and reproductions of pii mak phra kanong and then what?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

(the random rapist that always seems to come out of nowhere to attack the female main character)

*spring sound effect from Looney Tunes plays throughout rape scene at mostly random intervals

Oi in Shakepeare ain't no working class ppl eiver guvvna (apart from battlefield fodder, maids and clowns doing one liners about their knobs) therefore lakorn == W. Shakespeare

raton fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 27, 2016

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Thai women yelling in dramas (at each other, while crying, at a man threatening to hit them) is so regular that I can't watch them. Particularly ones not based on present times.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Thai women yelling in dramas (at each other, while crying, at a man threatening to hit them) is so regular that I can't watch them. Particularly ones not based on present times.
In some local slang, Thai soap operas are actually divided into - IIRC or if I was informed correctly - the categories of "screamers" and "slappers." Something like that. As in, "Oh, that new soap on channel 3, is it a screamer or a slapper?" Something like that.

I was talking at length with people about this topic once, and apparently they don't mostly run in seasons like ours. So there's a storyline, it runs for one "season" until the storyline finishes and that's it. Quite often, the story will be an updated version of a classic story, so the soap you're watching will be the modernization of the same soap mom used to watch.

I don't consume this stuff directly, so most of my info is heresay, but I have the same reaction. Every time I see a Thai soap, it's got all the hamfisted traits of a stupid Mexican telenovela. Screaming, the camerawork of a 12 year-old with his first camera, horrendously stupid acting, embarrassingly hammy comic relief, etc, etc.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 28, 2016

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
In Laos they play the Thai soaps, but they blur out the cleavage.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In reference to our earlier conversation:

http://m.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/878932

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Australians are the worst :itwaspoo:

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I have about 3 weeks in Vietnam, starting in Hanoi and ending somewhere that I can fly to Singapore from. I'm already going to see Halong Bay before those 3 weeks start so I don't need to worry about that. I'll probably be bussing around, though I'm considering getting a motorbike.

What wold you guys recommend? Do you think I should stick to north Vietnam or try to span most of the country? Sapa is one thing I really want to see, but aside from that it's all very up in the air.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Nearly everyone I ran across who traveled Vietnam via motorbike used the entire 30 day visa and most even extended. While your plan is doable, I feel like not having spare days for resting and when poo poo inevitably hits the fan isn't such a good idea for doing the full length of the country. Sticking to the north is probably the way to go.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Quick question - conference in Hanoi later this week and was wondering what the taxi situation is like fairly early in the morning (0700) downtown. Never had too many issues when I was chilling in Danang but capital cities can be different.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

The Thai pop songs I've seen on youtube seem to be in the same category - cry cry cry, the man is unfaithful, the man ignores her, the man hits her, cry cry, sad sad sad. :( :( :( The music videos are also typically 8 minutes long, of which 4 are music, and 4 are like a soap opera, with talking and "acting" vaguely related to the song. Insufferable.

Oh well, there is always one good cheesy Thai music video to lift your spirits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKDwsFbq1_c

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Don't forget the English subs: https://youtu.be/Wx3_78QxFHg

Not that it matters. If you've got rak tur, kit tung, mai ruu etc then you can understand most pop lyrics.

On the other hand I went to a big rock concert in Chiang Mai and it was great. Ticket was only 300 baht and a bucket of Sangsom and soda was 350 baht. Bodyslam are like the U2 of Thailand and the support acts were decent as well. I highly recommend it, being in a vast crowd all singing a language you don't understand is quite an experience.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

GuestBob posted:

Quick question - conference in Hanoi later this week and was wondering what the taxi situation is like fairly early in the morning (0700) downtown. Never had too many issues when I was chilling in Danang but capital cities can be different.

Wow you are still alive

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
When I got here, Big rear end and Body Slam were big. Then you've got all the luk toong and mo lam and so on. There's plenty of good stuff out there and, unlike tv, all it takes is a band, so no budget and it happens organically.

Unfortunately the pop music of the last few years has been ever shittier since Way Back Into Love and the ukulele hit.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

kru posted:

Wow you are still alive

Someone hacked his account

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GuestBob posted:

There are plenty of taxis out and about, downtown at 7 AM.

One thing about Hanoi, there (seems to be) a huge oversupply of taxis. It's also an early morning culture so things are happening in the morning.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

kru posted:

Wow you are still alive

Alive and gay.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

GuestBob posted:

Alive and gay.

How many santa hats sold so far?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm not normally one for taking photos of my food but look at this pork belly I had for lunch. It was crispy and chewy and so goddamn good :burger:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bardeh posted:

I'm not normally one for taking photos of my food but look at this pork belly I had for lunch. It was crispy and chewy and so goddamn good :burger:
Southern Thailand?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

Southern Thailand?

No, I'm still up in Chiang Rai. It could be a southern dish because I haven't seen it here before, but I can't remember what it was called.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I'm going to Bangkok for a couple days to renew my visa nearby. I booked a hotel on soi 11 off of Sukhumvit. I'm not a fan of Bangkok but will enjoy the food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Positive Optimyst posted:

Well, I'm going to Bangkok for a couple days to renew my visa nearby. I booked a hotel on soi 11 off of Sukhumvit. I'm not a fan of Bangkok but will enjoy the food.

I stayed on soi 11 recently when I went to do some passport and visa stuff. There's lots of choice for food around there - there's a little New Zealand style fish and chips place down a little side soi called Snapper that I'd recommend.