Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Holy loving poo poo Sakamoto Days what the loving gently caress.

What's real fun is that an one-shot the author did earlier had proto-version of Mr. Takamura, and it had the same twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Warden posted:

What's real fun is that an one-shot the author did earlier had proto-version of Mr. Takamura, and it had the same twist.

I’m convinced it’s the same character.

When he talks, you die. Sakamoto bringing the fire.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

having read his one-shot. I shouldn't be surprised but holy gently caress.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

drat this new chapter of Kagurabachi is kind of insanely good imo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's Kill Blue was a lot of fun with the goofy horror tropes. I'm assuming this whole thing is a weird set up by Noren's family basically LARPing horror tropes for her friends.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was genuinely one of the biggest 'oh shits' I've had in a while.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I was just laughing out loud because they’re so hosed, all this time Takamura has been phoning it in fully aware that people think he’s a senile master running on pure instinct, I seriously don’t know how they survive even with the hypothetical Sakamoto/Gaku teamup

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The part where Takamura severed and then immediately reattached his arm like he's goddamn Deadpool was more shocking to me, personally.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This Sakamoto arc continues to swerve in the best ways.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sakamoto Days man.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Honestly a very strong week this week. Kagurabachi was solid. Centuria was bad rear end. Undead was cool and kinda funny. I love Shen.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

RareAcumen posted:

The part where Takamura severed and then immediately reattached his arm like he's goddamn Deadpool was more shocking to me, personally.

I realize comics ain't reality, but is there ANY basis for this kind of thing in real life? I've seen a similar reference (that involved a vegetable, instead) and even if it's just based on some martial arts magical thinking bullshit, I'd be curious to learn more

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I like Kagurabachi but drat do half the characters in play right now all look basically identical and I can't keep any of them straight. I know they're all like, the same family and in uniforms, but geeze.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I realize comics ain't reality, but is there ANY basis for this kind of thing in real life? I've seen a similar reference (that involved a vegetable, instead) and even if it's just based on some martial arts magical thinking bullshit, I'd be curious to learn more

Inasmuch as a cleaner cut is easier to reattach because there's less damage, and the sooner you get to it the easier it is because the cells along the edge don't have as much time to decay, there's that bit of truth to it. But just lopping off an arm and then sticking it back on and having it work is pure fiction for sure. You'd still need pretty intense surgery and therapy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Everything that I could say about this week's Sakamoto has already been said.

UU: it never occurred to me with Fuko basically being uh...out of the loop that her parents would get to live.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Last Celebration posted:

I was just laughing out loud because they’re so hosed, all this time Takamura has been phoning it in fully aware that people think he’s a senile master running on pure instinct, I seriously don’t know how they survive even with the hypothetical Sakamoto/Gaku teamup

Takamura dying of old age , or them convincing him that the JAA isn't great either, now that they know he understands them

This chapter was amazing, Takamura is really such a fun character to see in action

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Sakamoto: holy poo poo, hell yeah, etc. I'm betting he's Akao's grandfather, here to avenge his lost little girl. Seeing her personality reemerge will give Gaku a chance to finish him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nighthand posted:

Inasmuch as a cleaner cut is easier to reattach because there's less damage, and the sooner you get to it the easier it is because the cells along the edge don't have as much time to decay, there's that bit of truth to it. But just lopping off an arm and then sticking it back on and having it work is pure fiction for sure. You'd still need pretty intense surgery and therapy.

at this point given all of Takamura’s insane feats up to halfway through this chapter have been with him absentmindedly muttering to himself and not even trying, I’m gonna just assume he’s an enhanced human like most of Uzuki’s fellow orphans.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Scallop Eyes posted:

Takamura dying of old age , or them convincing him that the JAA isn't great either, now that they know he understands them

This chapter was amazing, Takamura is really such a fun character to see in action

My other thought is maybe Akao isn't the only or most dangerous ghost in Slur.

That scene where he first showed up and basically gave Shin psychic shock just by being there didn't seem like either of the personas we've seen.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Squidster posted:

Sakamoto: holy poo poo, hell yeah, etc. I'm betting he's Akao's grandfather, here to avenge his lost little girl. Seeing her personality reemerge will give Gaku a chance to finish him.

Ooh, that's a real possibility. Sakamoto is so good right niw

Blue Box: oh, looks like Chinatsu is tired of hiding the relationship. About time, too

ByeByeBye: I feel like this is the manga I expected My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps to be when it first started

Centuria: good chapter, especially with the MC just casually knocking out a bear at the beginning, lol

Deep Raputa: this series is only going to get more and more creepy (derogatory) as it goes along, isn't it

Kagurabachi:

Nighthand posted:

I like Kagurabachi but drat do half the characters in play right now all look basically identical and I can't keep any of them straight. I know they're all like, the same family and in uniforms, but geeze.

Yeah, agreed. The character designs in this arc aren't great

Kill Blue:

muscles like this! posted:

This week's Kill Blue was a lot of fun with the goofy horror tropes. I'm assuming this whole thing is a weird set up by Noren's family basically LARPing horror tropes for her friends.

Yeah, especially with Ogami dealing with the side effects of his transformation, it feels like a good time for a silly arc

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Detective Conan rear end setup lmao

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Everything that I could say about this week's Sakamoto has already been said.

UU: it never occurred to me with Fuko basically being uh...out of the loop that her parents would get to live.

UU: It's pretty clear that it never occurred to Fuko as well. :v:

Centuria: I really like that the human hunters basically hosed up the beast by themselves and our MC is there to beat up the.... person? that came out of it instead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nighthand posted:

I think the ideal thought experiment here is what would happen if you could make the cut perfectly clean, down to a molecular level, and the rettachment also happened within a tiny fraction of a second (since I think we're supposed to assume this happened at hyperspeed).

Like it definitely wouldn't just reattach instantly as shown, but I wonder if such an impossibly perfect and instant cut/reattachment could heal together if you perfectly bound the two parts together.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ytlaya posted:

I think the ideal thought experiment here is what would happen if you could make the cut perfectly clean, down to a molecular level, and the rettachment also happened within a tiny fraction of a second (since I think we're supposed to assume this happened at hyperspeed).

Like it definitely wouldn't just reattach instantly as shown, but I wonder if such an impossibly perfect and instant cut/reattachment could heal together if you perfectly bound the two parts together.

I think the main problem is the various connective tissue elements like muscle fibers, bone, collagen, nerve fibers, etc won't just magically fuse back together after being cut. It would take time for the cells along the gap to regrow the connections.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tarezax posted:

I think the main problem is the various connective tissue elements like muscle fibers, bone, collagen, nerve fibers, etc won't just magically fuse back together after being cut. It would take time for the cells along the gap to regrow the connections.

That's why I'm imagining an impossible perfect cut where it's perfectly secured/sealed back together afterwards. Could it heal back together in that case (since there's virtually zero destroyed tissue in that case, and the separation only lasts like 0.001s)?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ytlaya posted:

That's why I'm imagining an impossible perfect cut where it's perfectly secured/sealed back together afterwards. Could it heal back together in that case (since there's virtually zero destroyed tissue in that case, and the separation only lasts like 0.001s)?

There's no way to avoid severing those tissues and they won't just stick back together. If you made a perfect molecular cut on a piece of paper, putting the pieces back together wouldn't make them magically fuse again either. It's going to take time and energy (or super fast regeneration like Deadpool) for the arm to reattach. A clean cut will make it faster because there's less regrowing to do, at least, but not instant.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most of what happens in this manga is already physically impossible. what's one more thing?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Roboco: that end twist in the bathtub. :allears:

I can’t read deep raputa for some reason, but I read the previous one. It was weird.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

most of what happens in this manga is already physically impossible. what's one more thing?

I mean, Sakamoto loses his mustache when he changes to his svelte form.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Centuria: I really like that the human hunters basically hosed up the beast by themselves and our MC is there to beat up the.... person? that came out of it instead.

I'm a bit conflicted because on the one hand, it's great that the trio got to do something cool and beat the monster with a bit of teamwork. but on the other hand, the tree face guy is a much less interesting design than the big amalgamated wolf thing

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

The chapter came out a few days ago but…

Wild Strawberry: I find exam arcs where a large number of recruits are expected and allowed to get slaughtered silly. It makes sense in something like HxH where hunters can choose to act as individuals loosely tied to the organization. But when you have a room full of people who are all working towards the same goal, killing most of them and just being like “well, they would have died anyway” is cruel and a waste.

I’m probably giving too much thought to a meh manga though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

It's kinda funny this discussion is happening in a series with DeerTank.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mumbling posted:

Wild Strawberry: I find exam arcs where a large number of recruits are expected and allowed to get slaughtered silly. It makes sense in something like HxH where hunters can choose to act as individuals loosely tied to the organization. But when you have a room full of people who are all working towards the same goal, killing most of them and just being like “well, they would have died anyway” is cruel and a waste.

I hate that that trope too. It really annoyed me in Demon Slayer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Not to mention it just finished being thoroughly skewered in Frieren, albeit gently.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tarezax posted:

There's no way to avoid severing those tissues and they won't just stick back together. If you made a perfect molecular cut on a piece of paper, putting the pieces back together wouldn't make them magically fuse again either. It's going to take time and energy (or super fast regeneration like Deadpool) for the arm to reattach. A clean cut will make it faster because there's less regrowing to do, at least, but not instant.

I'm actually talking about giving it time - like if you could magically keep the arm and stump pressed together 100% perfectly for a while afterwards, with every single cell directly next to the cell it was previously next to.

And I'm also talking about an impossibly perfect cut that could never actually be done in reality.

The main difference vs the paper would be that cells actually would regrow and potentially reconnect. So with this "impossibly perfect cut" and "impossibly perfect reconnection" I'm wondering if it could hypothetically be reattached in just the time it would take for the existing cells to reconnect.

(To be clear I just think this is a fun thought experiment, I don't give a poo poo about how realistic the cool thing that happened in the comic is)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mumbling posted:

Rand Brittain posted:

Not to mention it just finished being thoroughly skewered in Frieren, albeit gently.

I hate that trope and wasn't to keen with it in Frieren either although it wasn't as egregious as Demon Slayer. I think Undead Adventurer had the best version of the exam arc since the entire exam was secretly being overseen by the guild who had their people stationed at various points in the test dungeon to monitor people to make sure they didn't die or try to do something sketchy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kagurabachi was pretty darn good this week (bless Shiba and his offscreen shenanigans) but by god Sakamoto peaked even harder.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I hate that that trope too. It really annoyed me in Demon Slayer.

doomrider7 posted:

I hate that trope and wasn't to keen with it in Frieren either although it wasn't as egregious as Demon Slayer. I think Undead Adventurer had the best version of the exam arc since the entire exam was secretly being overseen by the guild who had their people stationed at various points in the test dungeon to monitor people to make sure they didn't die or try to do something sketchy.

To be fair, for Demon Slayer's case, there wasn't supposed an evolved demon that survived for 50 years eating new candidates. It was supposed to just be newly-turned Left 4 Dead Runner type demons.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd just like to say, Air Master and GetBackers... those were good. Well the anime, I still haven't read the manga. But I did buy a bunch of the GetBackers books at the time. Well I think the second season of GetBackers was filler-y and not as good, but still, was a classic. Being on the air circa 2003 was pretty good times in general.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RareAcumen posted:

To be fair, for Demon Slayer's case, there wasn't supposed an evolved demon that survived for 50 years eating new candidates. It was supposed to just be newly-turned Left 4 Dead Runner type demons.

And the only people sent to participate are those who spent years training for it, got their master's approval, and are told what's going to happen before they go through the gate. Not like that manga, where it's just "Surprise! Now figure out how to not die instantly!".

Except Inosuke. He just kinda showed up with demon slayer swords and they let him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, the fact that Demon Slayer corps somehow did not realize for 50 years that there is an evolved demon squatting in their newbie exam grounds and eating all their new candidates is completely ridiculous by itself. :v: