Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Yep that’s him, he also did the cover art for the issue that story originally appeared in, and a couple other Aliens/Predator covers.

drat that's dope art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't have many comics anymore, but that anthology is something I'll never sell. I really like the short story at the end with the space jockey who travels to Earth and kicks the poo poo out of some ambassadors before getting nuked..

Not just ambassadors, combat trained synthetics that he manhandles, and then the president of the United States (who has intentionally infected himself with a chestburster) intentionally induces the chestburster’s birth which then attacks the Space Jockey, before him and his ship get blown out of the sky by a bunch of ICBMs. it’s wild. It also ties up a plot point from earlier in volumes 1 and 3 of the main Aliens comic run.

The old Dark Horse ‘Aliens’ comics were all over the place in terms of art, story, and quality but they were not afraid to experiment and try new poo poo. They took a little bit of the wrong message from ‘Aliens’ and made the xenos mindless cannon fodder bugs sometimes, but there were other stories where they had just one or a couple xenos be a Real Threat.

One wild comic was ‘Aliens: Havoc’ where the main character is a disembodied ghost who can occupy and control other people’s bodies (don’t ask), so the whole comic is from “his” perspective in first person through the eyes of whatever character he’s inhabiting at that moment. And to add to the chaos, every page is drawn by a different artist, with the varying art styles being all over the place.
It took me a few reads to truly piece together who he was occupying via context clues (who *isn’t* in the panel, etc) but it was a neat challenge once I figured out what was going on.

And then there’s the AvP comic where a Predator ship crashes in medieval Libya in the 4th century and an Alien gets loose which is slain by Saint George.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

yeah where does Kingdom of Heaven fit in there

I have no idea how two movies about religious crusaders fit into each other

or who All The Money In The World could possibly be about

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What actually changes between films is, really, everything else. The best example of this is the Alien: Isolation videogame, which completely rewrites the ending of Alien 1 in a way that doesn’t really make sense except as a response to Alien 3. The game is effectively an Alien 3 prequel.

Can you go into more details on this?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

ruddiger posted:

Blackhawk Down came out a decade before Prometheus, and works better as a “retcon” as it were, expanding on the politics of Cameron’s aliens and the thesis that it’s “about the vietnam war” (what war is portrayed in Blackhawk down?)

Black Hawk Down was a weirdly prescient movie about the coming conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Like , it's almost suspicious how a movie about how serving in the Army is almost a mythical thing comes out just after 9/11 as the world's most expensive recruiting ad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

sigher posted:

drat that's dope art.

Agreed that's awesome. I never heard of this artist before and I love how he gets that textured, tacit look. I doubt he's getting it using a computer either.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
It was the late 80s/early 90s so, nah
Bisley did crazy stuff

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sigher posted:

What does A:I change in regards to the ending of Alien? I don't recall it effecting anything from that film.

Tankbuster posted:

Can you go into more details on this?

Just so we're on the same page: the basic plot of Alien: Isolation is that the character Amanda is searching for information about her mother, Ripley, who went missing in deep space. (The game itself is effectively just a superior remake of Bioshock, with more stealth.)

Most people playing the game will have probably seen Alien 1, and therefore 'already know' what happened to Ripley. But, as we've seen with the films, this reliance on plot continuity is highly deceptive. Like, there is no "Alien Queen" in Alien 1 - and, when Aliens is viewed as a standalone film, the characters of Mother and the "Space Jockey" do not even exist. So, to actually understand the individual films' narratives, you have to unlearn what you have learned.

With that in mind, what does Isolation actually say?

Leaving aside the opening credits and the two optional bonus missions (for the moment), Amanda eventually finds a recording of Ellen Ripley's voice, picked up from the escape-shuttle Narcissus. Ripley reports that 'we' blew up the Nostromo, and that she's now floating through space in this lifeboat.* In her message, Ripley specifically states that she helped blow up the Nostromo to protect her beloved daughter. As long as the alien was alive, there was a risk of it reaching Earth and decimating the population. But there's nothing like "we gotta save the Earth!" in Alien 1, because the alien never posed some existential threat. Ripley just blew up the ship as a big gently caress-you to Ash and Mother. Saving the Earth is closer to her motivation in Aliens and/or Alien 3, where 75 years have passed and she's having 'crazy' outbursts due to her PTSD.

In a more general sense, Amanda's feelings of abandonment don't really follow from the conclusion of Alien 1. Nobody watching Alien 1 is left confused and empty because Ripley blew up the ship - but the pursuit of 'closure' make a ton of sense as a narrative followup to Ripley's controversial, 'irrational' suicide in Alien 3. (Like Alien 3, Isolation also takes place in a failed colony full of space-criminals. And it's worth noting that its jokey Bioshock-like retrofuturism doesn't mesh at all with Prometheus and Covenant. It's even a little extreme by the standards of Alien 1.)

On top of this, the game comes with the two bonus missions, which literally constitute a mini-remake of Alien with a different plot and an entirely different narrative: Dallas doesn't die in the vents, Jones is missing, and Ripley successfully kills the alien on her first attempt. This means that Ripley never goes back and argues with Mother to stop the countdown - nor does she face off against the alien in the shuttle. The scriptors covered their rear end by implying that at least some of this is a tactical simulation taking place inside Mother's imagination(!!!), but the overall result is that Isolation** is simultaneously a remake of Alien 1 and a sequel to it: an Evil Dead 2 / Thing 1982 situation.

*This part technically doesn't contradict Alien 1, but notice that something was omitted: there's no mention of how many casualties! Amanda has no idea how many people are in the lifeboat. But, going back to the opening credits, the titles are accompanied by a redux of Ripley's "last survivor" speech. While Amanda apparently never finds out how many people were in the lifeboat, this is 'spoiled' for the player right away - which creates an interesting disconnect between the player and player-character. (Do the opening credits represent Amanda's intuitive understanding of what happened? A flash-forward to some future reveal? A different character's perspective? It's very curious.)

**Coincidentally, the movie Isolation (2005) is a perfect companion piece to Alien 3.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 14, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

One thing about the ending of Alien: Isolation. I'm pretty sure it was W-Y that was on its way to Sevastopol, to try and get one or more of the aliens. (who else would be out there?)

So when they find Amanda floating in space, they are going to find out Sevastopol fell into the gas giant and was obliterated, all specimens lost. Or more likely, they already knew all this, due to being hooked into Apollo and being updated with what was going on near the end of the game.

Presumably what happens next is they are going to interrogate Amanda, torture if need be, to learn everything she knows-- including what Marlowe told her about the location of LV-426, where there are still eggs.

And after that, there is no way they are going to let her go free.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The problem with that reading is it’s inconsistent - it looks at the game through the lens of ‘Alien’ “in isolation” but in the same breath says the art style doesn’t work because of Prometheus and Covenant (while selectively relating it to Alien3 for some reason). The art style isn’t a problem if you only tie it to ‘Alien’, and the Queen (which is merely implied - it’s never seen or even mentioned) isn’t a problem if you look at it from the broader narrative lens.

Ripley’s “changing” motivation is interesting, but not inconsistent - in ‘Aliens’, which follows directly from ‘Alien’ with no time jump from Ripley’s perspective, she wants to wipe the Aliens out at all costs and is fearful of them getting to earth in any capacity right from her interrogation at the start of the film. Ripley very well could have been fearful for the safety of her daughter/earth but never vocalized it until “off camera” (in the game) at the end of the film before she goes to sleep.

MrMojok posted:

One thing about the ending of Alien: Isolation. I'm pretty sure it was W-Y that was on its way to Sevastopol, to try and get one or more of the aliens. (who else would be out there?)

So when they find Amanda floating in space, they are going to find out Sevastopol fell into the gas giant and was obliterated, all specimens lost. Or more likely, they already knew all this, due to being hooked into Apollo and being updated with what was going on near the end of the game.

Presumably what happens next is they are going to interrogate Amanda, torture if need be, to learn everything she knows-- including what Marlowe told her about the location of LV-426, where there are still eggs.

And after that, there is no way they are going to let her go free.
I’d have to refresh myself on what happens to Amanda after the game but she gets rescued and goes on her own Alien-killing adventures or something in the comics. I didn’t read those comics because I heard they sucked and they were written by sex pest Brian Wood, so there’s that.

Apparently theyre retconning her death per Burke to make it that she’s been in hyper sleep and is actually alive in an upcoming book, which sounds shockingly, profoundly dumb.

And yes it’s definitely WY going to Sevastopol, they even outright buy the station before they send a team to it.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 14, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed that's awesome. I never heard of this artist before and I love how he gets that textured, tacit look. I doubt he's getting it using a computer either.

Airbrush

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BiggerBoat posted:

Bisley started out very, very 'influenced' by Frank Frazetta, but quickly developed his own distinctive style - which in turn 'influenced' a load of other artists. 2000AD (where Bisley got his big break in the late 80s) was filled with Bisley clones when it went full-colour in the early 90s; unfortunately very few of them had even a fraction of his talent.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

The problem with that reading is it’s inconsistent - it looks at the game through the lens of ‘Alien’ “in isolation” but in the same breath says the art style doesn’t work because of Prometheus and Covenant (while selectively relating it to Alien3 for some reason).

You’re confusing two different things in my post.

My first step is to look at what is going on in the narrative itself. Then, expanding on my conclusions, I curate a thematic trilogy of independent works.

This is to purposefully go against you approach, which is to smother everything in the lumpy consistency of plot continuity:

Xenomrph posted:

Ripley very well could have been fearful for the safety of her daughter/earth but never vocalized it until “off camera” (in the game) at the end of the film before she goes to sleep.

A great many things could have been happening offscreen in Alien - but they did not. When you take the purely additive approach, familiar from fan wikis, where everything is included until there’s an ‘impossible’ contradiction, you end up with like 85 different species of stupid-looking aliens in the background - all imagined to be just slightly offscreen. Maybe Ripley can shoot lasers out her eyes, and we just haven’t seen it yet? This is the problem you ran into earlier in the thread, when it turned out you were accidentally mixing up plot points from rejected Alien script drafts, in pursuit of a ‘total picture.’

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You’re confusing two different things in my post.

My first step is to look at what is going on in the narrative itself. Then, expanding on my conclusions, I curate a thematic trilogy of independent works.
That’s fair.

quote:

This is to purposefully go against you approach, which is to smother everything in the lumpy consistency of plot continuity:

A great many things could have been happening offscreen in Alien - but they did not. When you take the purely additive approach, familiar from fan wikis, where everything is included until there’s an ‘impossible’ contradiction, you end up with like 85 different species of stupid-looking aliens in the background - all imagined to be just slightly offscreen. Maybe Ripley can shoot lasers out her eyes, and we just haven’t seen it yet? This is the problem you ran into earlier in the thread, when it turned out you were accidentally mixing up plot points from rejected Alien script drafts, in pursuit of a ‘total picture.’
Nah. Besides, what you have written is, unfortunately, hyper-political.

Edit— actual content, I got this dude in the mail today and he’s pretty rad. Remake of one of the old wacky Kenner Alien hybrids from the 90s.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 15, 2022

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Just like the OG, H. R. Giger himself.

Xenomrph posted:

That’s fair.

Edit— actual content, I got this dude in the mail today and he’s pretty rad. Remake of one of the old wacky Kenner Alien hybrids from the 90s.

What was that one, the “panther alien”?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Just like the OG, H. R. Giger himself.

What was that one, the “panther alien”?

Yeah, and it got repainted in red and black as the “Night Cougar” Alien.

As an impressionable youth, I did not comprehend that they were straight repaints of each other so naturally I begged my parents to basically buy me the same toy twice.

NECA also did a Night Cougar remake but I think the only differences are the paint job and the tail sculpt. I passed on the Night Cougar this time around.

NECA’s Kenner remakes have been largely fantastic though.

Old:

New:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Wish I had kept my old gorilla alien :( it was a solid monster toy

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I had so many of those, sometimes I wish I didn't sell off my collection of original Kenner and NECA Aliens.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
gently caress those were some rad toys.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Flying Queen Alirn was cool as gently caress.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
kenner aliens ftw

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I remember those. My mom got me a few for my birthday one year. She braved a skeezy comic shop and payed price gouging comic shop prices for them too. :3:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sigher posted:

The Flying Queen Alirn was cool as gently caress.
There's an Aliens Board/Card game I like called Legendary Encounters and the expansion has a cool scenario where a bunch of facehuggers end up in an orbital zoo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Politicizing the artworks is the point. Alien: Isolation is another in a long line of ‘official’ Alien stories that focus on the elimination of the bug-lizard while leaving behind much or all of the original film’s anticapitalism. With the aforementioned fan-wiki additive approach, that poo poo accumulates until you a develop a full-fledged worldview where a singular cabal of murderous apocalyptic bug-worshippers owns the universe, while the bugs themselves have 35 different reproductive techniques and can kill a trillion people per hour.

The basic understanding that this is a mining and shipping company ends up supplanted by the belief that it’s all a front for satanic ritual abuse, as the list of crimes expands into theoretical infinity.

“teams were even known to deliberately sacrifice low-level employees as live prey in Xenomorph tests.”

Like if Jurassic Park were suddenly about the absolute necessity of teaming up to kill the evil T-Rex before it takes over the world. (Oops.)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

There's an Aliens Board/Card game I like called Legendary Encounters and the expansion has a cool scenario where a bunch of facehuggers end up in an orbital zoo.
I never played that one, but a whole bunch of the Kenner stuff has made sly cameos in the new Alien RPG, it’s a hoot.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Politicizing the artworks is the point. Alien: Isolation is another in a long line of ‘official’ Alien stories that focus on the elimination of the bug-lizard while leaving behind much or all of the original film’s anticapitalism. With the aforementioned fan-wiki additive approach, that poo poo accumulates until you a develop a full-fledged worldview where a singular cabal of murderous apocalyptic bug-worshippers owns the universe, while the bugs themselves have 35 different reproductive techniques and can kill a trillion people per hour.

The basic understanding that this is a mining and shipping company ends up supplanted by the belief that it’s all a front for satanic ritual abuse, as the list of crimes expands into theoretical infinity.

“teams were even known to deliberately sacrifice low-level employees as live prey in Xenomorph tests.”

Like if Jurassic Park were suddenly about the absolute necessity of teaming up to kill the evil T-Rex before it takes over the world. (Oops.)

Considering Cameron plagiarized Harlan Ellison for Terminator, I guess I never realized how much of his Aliens plot he owes to Crichton’s Westworld (which was the test run for Chrichton’s Jurassic Park).

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i dont think James Cameron actually plagiarized from Harlan Ellison

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’ll only ever be speculation because Cameron will never admit to it, but I do find it funny that he was forced to give Ellison credit on Terminator, while Heinlein’s name is nowhere to be seen in the Aliens credits even tho Cameron bragged about it being the superior adaptation when Verhoeven was making Starship Troopers.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 15, 2022

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Cameron has a NDA about discussing his side of what happened so we will never know.

Here is the scene from The Other Limits episode Soldier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i2jt0m5-0c

and the intro to The Terminator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAJr5cp01mI&t=14s

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hey SMG so I'm watching the movie Sicario for the first time and maybe it's cause I was reading this thread recently but in the opening shot of Emily Blunt in the APC it made me think of Sigourney Weaver in Aliens. Also, them finding a bunch of dead bodies in the walls of a house in Arizona made me think of the way the colonists in Aliens were gathered up. Just wanted to share these thoughts with the movie forums.

fake edit also it reminded me of the discussion in the thread earlier because this movie is about "the war on drugs"

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 16, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Cameron's ripped off a ton of stuff and gotten sued for it. Even True Lies was a ripoff of some French flick that IIRC was blatant enough in some ways that he had to purchase the rights to the original and bury it to avoid paying mega-damages or something. But he gets a lifetime pass because T1, T2, and Aliens are three of the greatest movies ever made.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I didn't even know True Lies was James Cameron. Love that movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Cameron's ripped off a ton of stuff and gotten sued for it. Even True Lies was a ripoff of some French flick that IIRC was blatant enough in some ways that he had to purchase the rights to the original and bury it to avoid paying mega-damages or something. But he gets a lifetime pass because T1, T2, and Aliens are three of the greatest movies ever made.

Eh, by the time True Lies was released in theaters, it was common knowledge, or at least put out in media news releases, that it was a remake of a French comedy from a few years ago. I mean, this would be beyond blatant in some ways, they are the same movie with the same plot beats and some setting changes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think ripping off other things is Good, Actually. As long as you're not stealing exact plot structure, entire scenes beat-by-beat, or dialogue whole cloth, I say go for it. If you improve it, rad. If you don't, oh well there's still the original. I probably wouldn't have seen a lot of great old stuff if new stuff hadn't ripped 'em off. The more the merrier, I say.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 17, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ripping things off to make an inferior version is bad. The world is already full of crap, don't district people from the good stuff with your lovely facsimiles.

Ripping things off to make improved or different good stuff is good. That's how progress works.

Ripping things off and pretending you invented it yourself is bad. People deserve credit for their work.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Paying homage is fine as long as you, y'know, pay the original creators as well.

But capitalism dictates no properties can die so creator work can be exploited long after the originators are dead and their families legally freezed out from profiting from the work.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Splicer posted:

Ripping things off to make an inferior version is bad. The world is already full of crap, don't district people from the good stuff with your lovely facsimiles.

That's a hard thing, because someone's inspiration from something might turned out to be something totally awesome in their eyes but it actually kinda sucks. As an artist myself sometimes I go, "I know this is clearly inspired from X or Y, but is it good enough on it's own to be it's own thing?"

Alien itself steals borrows heavily in the first half of the film from Planet of the Vampires and in the back half it borrows from It! Terror from Beyond Space. However it does it a metric gently caress ton better.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HGqcifonvs

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Prey speculation spoilers:

Prey is apparently set in 1719.

The date on the flintlock pistol in ‘Predator 2’ is 1715.

Make of that what you will.

Tangentially related, it has been confirmed that Prey will be rated-R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Tangentially related, it has been confirmed that Prey will be rated-R.

Sounds like my Preyers have been answered!