Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Inzombiac posted:

How does one fight a planet?

Public urination and defecation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is better than moot loot!

Is that what he says? I always heard it as "moon loot" and I've been endlessly confused.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My original goal was to play through Living World season 3 with my Mesmer but Daredevil is really fun and even just screwing around with it in the Mists makes me want to abandon casters forever and just flip everywhere

Someone tell me why the grass isn't greener before I spend forever leveling this dude because I'm out of tomes

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
EMBRACE THE AWESOME

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

My original goal was to play through Living World season 3 with my Mesmer but Daredevil is really fun and even just screwing around with it in the Mists makes me want to abandon casters forever and just flip everywhere

Someone tell me why the grass isn't greener before I spend forever leveling this dude because I'm out of tomes

You'll quickly learn how much the game really wants to poo poo on melee in particular. Also, weakening charge is your optimal damage attack and will lock you in place to get wrecked by AoEs unless you're super careful with timing.

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017
I really enjoy my Daredevil too, but in HoT zones in particular, I'm really bad at melee so I get poo poo on a lot. I've died more on him than any other class, even my glass cannon Ele.

RE: the Mastery posts. Thank you again! I only need 23 more MPs to max Tyria, so that's my current goal that I'm working on now.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fight me irl

At least four or five times now you've said this to me and I'm still waiting for your fat rear end to book me a flight to your town so I can tenderize your face like a cube steak. UNTIL SUCH TIME, you're not allowed to fight anyone else IRL.

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

Ineptitude posted:

*I listed the great jungle worm masteries under easy. If you find an organized group to do this event these masteries are easy. The event itself is diffucult however and is not possible to do with people randomly showing up. The guild RnT organizes this event twice per day (on US realms). The event that is in the evenings for US time/morning for EU time was always successful in my experience, while the event in US mornings/EU evenings NEVER succeeded.

Just did the EU morning (0800 UTC) RnT TT and it went smoothly and got me a couple of mastery points :) . Have also tried the 1230 UTC and 1700 UTC and it's been useless.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

You'll quickly learn how much the game really wants to poo poo on melee in particular. Also, weakening charge is your optimal damage attack and will lock you in place to get wrecked by AoEs unless you're super careful with timing.

Papal Mainframe posted:

I really enjoy my Daredevil too, but in HoT zones in particular, I'm really bad at melee so I get poo poo on a lot. I've died more on him than any other class, even my glass cannon Ele.

I'm pretty used to playing melee because I've been playing Mesmer since launch, though to be fair, like a third of my goddamn skill bar makes me invulnerable so it's not quite the same.

The other profession I'm considering is Ele, actually, because if any of the elite spec leaks are true, the new one looks like it's going to be rad as hell. I already have an Ele at 80 though, so I should probably just stick to doing Living World on my Mesmer for now.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Harrow posted:

I'm pretty used to playing melee because I've been playing Mesmer since launch, though to be fair, like a third of my goddamn skill bar makes me invulnerable so it's not quite the same.

The other profession I'm considering is Ele, actually, because if any of the elite spec leaks are true, the new one looks like it's going to be rad as hell. I already have an Ele at 80 though, so I should probably just stick to doing Living World on my Mesmer for now.

What's the run-down on the rumors for the new elite specs? I'm sure I could get the information from Reddit, but the I'd have to visit Reddit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

What's the run-down on the rumors for the new elite specs? I'm sure I could get the information from Reddit, but the I'd have to visit Reddit.

You actually probably couldn't. Most of the imgur links posted on Reddit about this stuff have been deleted by now.

Here's an imgur gallery with a bunch of stuff (not just elite specs, though, so if you don't want other expansion spoilers I wouldn't click it): https://imgur.com/a/VJFi4

It looks like Warrior's getting daggers, Revenant's getting a bow (not sure if it's longbow or shortbow), Guardian and Mesmer are getting axes, Thief's getting rifle, Necro's getting torch, Engineer's getting sword (with an elite spec called the "Holosmith" which sounds pretty rad), and Ranger looks like it's getting main-hand dagger.

The Elementalist one is separate from that but assuming everything's been true, it looks like the new Ele spec is going to be "Weaver" and get a sword. I guess I'll put this in spoilers in case anyone's sensitive to that kind of thing: going by posts I can't seem to find anymore on Reddit, it sounds like the Weaver is going to treat attunements like a Thief dual wielding weapons. You have two attunements at a time, and if you're dual-wielding, the first two main-hand weapon skills come from one, the two off-hand skills come from another, and the middle skill (skill 3) is a mixture like the Thief dual-wield skills. If you're wielding a staff, though, skills 1, 2, 4, and 5 are just from one attunement with the middle one being a mixture. I'm not sure how attunement swapping works, though, because it sorta sounds like you can only have those two attunements and swap the side they're in (sorta like Revenant legends). Rumor is they're getting mantras as their utility skills, same as the new Guardian spec.

Anyway I hope all that Elementalist stuff is true because it sounds pretty neat.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 25, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Harrow posted:

Anyway I hope all that Elementalist stuff is true because it sounds pretty neat.

It does, hopefully it makes playing Ele less like playing piano

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

holosmith should just be mesmer but with medium armor

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

holosmith should just be mesmer but with medium armor

I hope their utility skills are phantasms or something but they're probably going to be glamours if I had to guess

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Harrow posted:

You actually probably couldn't. Most of the imgur links posted on Reddit about this stuff have been deleted by now.

Here's an imgur gallery with a bunch of stuff (not just elite specs, though, so if you don't want other expansion spoilers I wouldn't click it): https://imgur.com/a/VJFi4

It looks like Warrior's getting daggers, Revenant's getting a bow (not sure if it's longbow or shortbow), Guardian and Mesmer are getting axes, Thief's getting rifle, Necro's getting torch, Engineer's getting sword (with an elite spec called the "Holosmith" which sounds pretty rad), and Ranger looks like it's getting main-hand dagger.

The Elementalist one is separate from that but assuming everything's been true, it looks like the new Ele spec is going to be "Weaver" and get a sword. I guess I'll put this in spoilers in case anyone's sensitive to that kind of thing: going by posts I can't seem to find anymore on Reddit, it sounds like the Weaver is going to treat attunements like a Thief dual wielding weapons. You have two attunements at a time, and if you're dual-wielding, the first two main-hand weapon skills come from one, the two off-hand skills come from another, and the middle skill (skill 3) is a mixture like the Thief dual-wield skills. If you're wielding a staff, though, skills 1, 2, 4, and 5 are just from one attunement with the middle one being a mixture. I'm not sure how attunement swapping works, though, because it sorta sounds like you can only have those two attunements and swap the side they're in (sorta like Revenant legends). Rumor is they're getting mantras as their utility skills, same as the new Guardian spec.

Thanks for this.

As long as I can actually ride on the back of the Easter Bunny, I'll be happy.
Also, the new Warrior Elite looks so much like a Nightfall class, I might have to play Warrior.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Eltoasto posted:

It does, hopefully it makes playing Ele less like playing piano

If you think Tempest's "sit on your hands for 4 seconds while you pray your overload doesn't get interrupted" is like playing the piano, the new spec is not for you.

Tons of players complained how the Tempest spec took away the flow of Ele attunement switching. The new one was designed by saying "ok, you want that back? here take this". i.e. it's going to be piano-galore.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

If you think Tempest's "sit on your hands for 4 seconds while you pray your overload doesn't get interrupted" is like playing the piano, the new spec is not for you.

Tons of players complained how the Tempest spec took away the flow of Ele attunement switching. The new one was designed by saying "ok, you want that back? here take this". i.e. it's going to be piano-galore.

If you're only switching back and forth between two attunements, I think it'll end up feeling more like weapon-swapping, though, so I doubt it'll be that complex. Unless that leak was wrong and you're cycling through all four attunements somehow, that would get pretty complex.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
The new Ele elite spec will have no cooldown on attunment swap or weapon skills and no animation times on abilities either, so your only limit will be how fast you can hammer keys. I would suggest investing in a mechanical keyboard if you want to stay competitive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If the new Ele spec is what the leaks say--swords with dual-wielding attunements--I'm gonna be all over that. I really like Mesmer, but I'm less into the idea of the Mesmer these days (I know, I'm a weird nerd who cares about a profession's ~*~concept~*~ and ~*~themes~*~ or something) and it kinda sucks some of the fun out of playing it. I never truly clicked with Elementalist before but the sound of a melee Elementalist stealing dual-wield mechanics from Thief is real tempting.

I wish they'd start doing elite spec reveal streams but it's probably gonna be a few months yet :smith:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Basically if/when they start to publish their elite specs we will know if the leaks were true or not. I can't imagine them changing things at this point completely if they want to release by the end of this year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There have been enough actual screen shots in the leaks that I don't really doubt them, even the Elementalist one. Someone posted an in-game shot of the elite spec sword and it's the same as in the leaked elite spec art (the first one in this album). When I first saw that I assumed it was fake because the art style didn't look right, but everything does line up, so it could very well be real.

The weird thing is that the Elementalist elite spec is actually very similar to a random idea someone posted on the GW2 forums like two years ago and even has the same name, which is one reason people doubted that leak, but everything's sorta falling into place.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

That sword has been in the game files since Heart of Thorns launched, but it looks like they recolored it at some point because it seemed more blueish in those leaks.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fargate_Opener

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aha, I didn't know that. That does throw a bit more doubt on the Weaver thing, because there are other ways the sword could actually enter the game (or it could just be previewed since it's already in the game files anyway). Still, I'd be impressed if someone went to the trouble of putting together a full set of realistic-looking skill and trait icons like that just to troll people.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Tempest was at one point in development getting Sword for its elite spec weapon, so if You Want To Believe then they might just be reusing whatever art work went towards that before.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm down for warrior getting daggers a whole lot but I don't like that daggers are held in each hand backwards. I hope warrior daggers are frontsies like swords. Changing the way a weapon is held isn't without precedent, revenant carries a staff like a hammer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

I'm down for warrior getting daggers a whole lot but I don't like that daggers are held in each hand backwards. I hope warrior daggers are frontsies like swords. Changing the way a weapon is held isn't without precedent, revenant carries a staff like a hammer.

One of the leakers implied that Warriors do have different dagger animations--whether they hold them differently I don't know, but they mentioned that the Warrior dagger animations were still in a rough state at the time. Apparently the Spellbreaker animations are pretty explicitly magical, too, so if they're legit I'd expect some fancy, colorful particle effects.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Harrow posted:

If you're only switching back and forth between two attunements, I think it'll end up feeling more like weapon-swapping, though, so I doubt it'll be that complex. Unless that leak was wrong and you're cycling through all four attunements somehow, that would get pretty complex.

Consider this: it's not just double attunement. You can double attune the same attunement to get the original 3 skill back, assuming nothing changes from what I've heard. Second, consider it a left-hand attunement and a right-hand attunement, meaning there is a difference between Fire-Air and Air-Fire. So even if you wanted to just swap back and forth between 2 attunements you're already looking at 4 possible double attunements.

Add in Water and Earth and you're up to sixteen different attunement setups that can be strategically chained together. This is also assuming you're using Sword/x, because who the hell won't want to with the new spec. I don't know if the leak's description of how Staff will work is accurate.

Sure you won't cycle through them all at once, but consider the different applications in different game modes. The tactical complexity will be absurd.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I guess what I'm thinking is that it might be something akin to weapon-swapping your main-hand and off-hand separately. I'm thinking you assign attunements to your F1 and F2 slots the same way Revenants assign legends out of combat, then press F1 or F2 to flip them back and forth between the two available options for each.

I'd assume that the trade-off would be that you can only have two attunements, so you're giving up the other two (until you're out of combat and can swap them again), but that would also cut down some of the complexity. But you're right, if we're thinking about swapping them separately, that does open up a lot of possibilities. I also hope the leak is wrong about staff, because if that's the case it sounds like staff just sorta doesn't work with this spec's main feature. Maybe they just hadn't implemented it for staff yet, or at least that's what I hope.

Anyway I hope it's actually fun to play because, in theory at least, it sounds cool as hell.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Inzombiac posted:

How does one fight a planet?

Find out how, this summer, in Guardians of the Galaxy 2!
Now playing at a theater near you.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Blasphemeral posted:

Find out how, this summer, in Guardians of the Galaxy 2!
Now playing at a theater near you.

If I wanted to know how to play with white goo made by a handsome dad I'd...

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Harrow posted:

I hope their utility skills are phantasms or something but they're probably going to be glamours if I had to guess

My understanding is that holosmiths get traps but this could be wrong

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
The Holosmith elite summons that dancing holographic lady for 30 seconds.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thursday Night Casual Raid just did a flawless VG kill, I am so drat proud of all of you!!! This might not seem like a big deal to some of you other raiders, but this is huge and exactly my goal when starting this weeknight thing, to expose more people to raid content and learn how it works! And you all killed it tonight!!!

e: oh and I got that sparkling ascended greatsword drop so I rule

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Ambi posted:

Is there actually any trick to getting the Tail Sweep achievement for Tequatl? I keep not getting it, and he never gets a chance to stomp in later phases nowadays. Did get a Wupwup weapon chest from today's first attempt though, first ascended box to drop for me so far.

Yep, see below

Trebuchet King posted:

I've been told just get feared while behind him but that hasn't quite worked for me yet.

Not this (very luck based)

Eltoasto posted:

I gave up trying to predict it, so just stood behind him and dodge rolled a bunch, i think it only took 2-3 teqs to get it.

But this! (not as luck based)

The achievement triggers if he tail swipes and you take no damage. If you do this on a mesmer you can put up some of those shields in addition to dodging and have more chances of not taking damage when he tail swipes, whereas other professions only get a few dodges in.
Getting feared and tail swiped at the same time is possible but luck based.

Personal anecdote: i tried to get this achievement on 3 raids with my warrior and failed. Then i tried it with my mesmer and succeeded on the first tail swipe.

Blasphemeral posted:

Congrats, Ineptitude. For your excellent effort posts aimed at helping others achieve the mastery that you enjoy, I hereby award you with a new avatar. Go forth and continue to be a badass.

Oh my :blush:

Thanks!

http://faedine.com/games/crank/b39/

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 26, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I blew all my transmutation charges last night loving around with my Mesmer and my Elementalist's outfits because I kept thinking I liked things and then hating them after playing for 30 minutes :negative:

On the bright side, I spent a bunch of time screwing around with my Elementalist's color scheme and I kind of like the weird, iridescent thing he has going on now. I'll have to post a screen shot when I get home. The Dryad chest piece for male sylvari takes on some interesting colors when it's dyed in certain ways, with blues and purples coming out when you use green or orange dyes. My Elementalist has orangey/brown skin and green leafy hair so at first I was pretty annoyed, but when I worked his whole outfit's colors around that he ended up looking cool and iridescent and it's entirely possible I'm the only person in the world who'd like how he turned out.

It did remind me that light armor on male characters is a fuckin' waste land outside of racial outfits, though. I'd pay real dollars for a version of the Carapace pants without a tail, too.

Aug 24, 2011

Harrow posted:

I blew all my transmutation charges last night loving around with my Mesmer and my Elementalist's outfits because I kept thinking I liked things and then hating them after playing for 30 minutes :negative:

On the bright side, I spent a bunch of time screwing around with my Elementalist's color scheme and I kind of like the weird, iridescent thing he has going on now. I'll have to post a screen shot when I get home. The Dryad chest piece for male sylvari takes on some interesting colors when it's dyed in certain ways, with blues and purples coming out when you use green or orange dyes. My Elementalist has orangey/brown skin and green leafy hair so at first I was pretty annoyed, but when I worked his whole outfit's colors around that he ended up looking cool and iridescent and it's entirely possible I'm the only person in the world who'd like how he turned out.

It did remind me that light armor on male characters is a fuckin' waste land outside of racial outfits, though. I'd pay real dollars for a version of the Carapace pants without a tail, too.

believe those colours are based on your appearance choices at character creation, which is an interesting thing to be aware of

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Specifically at character creation, or can a makeover kit change it, too?

It's interesting that those colors are determined by that, too, just because those colors aren't at all in my Elementalist's skin/"hair"/eye color. Though I think they're complementary, so maybe that's it.

Aug 24, 2011

Harrow posted:

It's interesting that those colors are determined by that, too, just because those colors aren't at all in my Elementalist's skin/"hair"/eye color. Though I think they're complementary, so maybe that's it.

makeover kit should work but i wouldn't bother with one if you can make the armour work as is

i have no idea which specific pieces do it either

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

You can change the skin glow settings with a total makeover kit, the hair one isn't enough.

I feel like only good armor for Sylvari is the racial armor sets (and TA armor ofc) and there should be more of them. Any attempt to dress a sylvari in "normal" armor looks like a kid dressed up in their parents' clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

TeaJay posted:

You can change the skin glow settings with a total makeover kit, the hair one isn't enough.

I feel like only good armor for Sylvari is the racial armor sets (and TA armor ofc) and there should be more of them. Any attempt to dress a sylvari in "normal" armor looks like a kid dressed up in their parents' clothes.

time for like 40 posts telling you how wrong you are

i'll start it off

• Locked thread