Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

$1.25 in 1946 money is like $18 today, that's a lot for a nondescript bag of something, a loaf of bread, and a jar of tomato sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Funky Valentine posted:

$1.25 in 1946 money is like $18 today, that's a lot for a nondescript bag of something, a loaf of bread, and a jar of tomato sauce.

Potatoes, ground coffee, bread, and a can of beans. Not impossible that it could cost $18, though that's still kinda pricey.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Every time that clip is posted I watch it and it still cracks me up.

Right? It doesn't stop being funny. Pretty amazing. I still think Trace was trying to egg him on, as is only right and proper.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Potatoes, ground coffee, bread, and a can of beans. Not impossible that it could cost $18, though that's still kinda pricey.
I threw a quick supermarket online cart together without going for cheap (or expensive) options/discounts, and came up with $13. Doesn't seem wildly out of range for a smaller general store of the era, though still kind of pricey.
But I mean, c'mon, look at Mr. Haskins!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dawgstar posted:

Right? It doesn't stop being funny. Pretty amazing. I still think Trace was trying to egg him on, as is only right and proper.

According to Kevin they had to do numerous takes of that scene because they all kept cracking up.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Like I've said many times before The Brute Man is one of the most competent American made films they've ever done, which combined with some top tier riffing and being paired with a short as amazing as The Chicken of Tomorrow is why it's one of my favorite episodes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Brute Man is just good all around

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Potatoes, ground coffee, bread, and a can of beans.

They forgot my Fruit Brute cereal!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hogama posted:

I threw a quick supermarket online cart together without going for cheap (or expensive) options/discounts, and came up with $13. Doesn't seem wildly out of range for a smaller general store of the era, though still kind of pricey.
But I mean, c'mon, look at Mr. Haskins!

"You want my potatoes? YOU'LL PAY FOR THEM! I HOPE YOU DIE!"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Not a fun fact: the Thomas Dewey-looking dude in Brute Man (who also appears in Radar Secret Service) apparently served time in prison for shooting his wife in the head; IIRC, he claimed it was accidental but the jury apparently didn't buy that.

A similar fate awaited the guy who played "Winky" from the MST3K "Rocky Jones" TV episodes movies; apparently his acting career didn't take off and he eventually turned to a life of crime, spending time in prison after committing a robbery or two IIRC.

Less violent but probably more sleazy were the Hollywood careers of the two sisters that appeared in "Angels Revenge", namely Liza Greer (who played Elaine the policewoman) and Robin Greer (who played "Little Trish" the high school student). Both sisters contributed to a tell-all book called "You'll Never Make Love in This Town Again", which featured stories from various low-level actresses (and Hollywood prostitutes) about their various encounters with big-name Hollywood producers, actors, etc. Liza Greer was also close friends with an unfortunate lady named Nicole Brown who later married O.J. Simpson.

On the (infinitely) brighter side, "Dutch" from The Giant Spider Invasion was married in real life to Barbara "VAAAAAANCE!" Hale, and their son was The Greatest American Hero himself, William Katt.

This has been your MST3K Movie Trivia Minute :v:

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Let's go throw cigarette butts at the monkeys.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Potatoes, ground coffee, bread, and a can of beans.

Coleman Francis?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Coleman Francis?

That does have the ring of a summoning spell

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Davros1 posted:

Coleman Francis?

Party game idea: Coleman Francis narration or Butthole Surfers lyric?

Because you cannot tell me that "Naked man in Denver" would sound out of place in The Beast of Yucca Flats.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Because you cannot tell me that "Naked man in Denver" would sound out of place in The Beast of Yucca Flats.

Holy gently caress what I wouldn't give to hear Butthole Surfers cover Night Train to Mundo Fine

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Holy gently caress what I wouldn't give to hear Butthole Surfers cover Night Train to Mundo Fine

There are a lot of artists I'd like to hear cover Night Train

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

verbal enema posted:

I'd like John Carradine to cover the entirety of Hairway to Steven but he's dead as poo poo

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Naked man in Denver
How did he get there

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

And I would give almost anything to hear Coleman Francis read Butthole Surfers lyrics aloud.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

And I would give almost anything to hear Coleman Francis read Butthole Surfers lyrics aloud.

I can almost hear "The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave" being rasped out in Coleman's gravelly drawl.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I figure it would be a lot like William Shatner like sing-talking he way through Rocketman, only Coleman would have to hack up some coal-black phlegm in the middle of it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I'm not going to lie, I was not reading ahead *at all* and legit thought that sentence was going to end in 'out of place from the Butthole Surfers'

Because that absolutely is a line I'm surprised isn't in a Coleman movie

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Rondo Hatton's acromegaly had nothing to do with being exposed to chemical weapons. That's not at all what causes the symptoms.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Thank you, comic panel #5, for reminding us why one should not use minstrel-speak dialogue.

... and for showing us how to laugh, about love. Again.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rondo Hatton's acromegaly had nothing to do with being exposed to chemical weapons. That's not at all what causes the symptoms.

I'm not a doctor of medicine or anything, but mustard gas can cause lung tumors and lung tumors can cause acromegaly. It seems reasonable at first glance.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

verbal enema posted:

How much can the rights to cover it possibly cost?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For the next Mads stream (Dec 14th) they're going to re-riff Manos.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

muscles like this! posted:

For the next Mads stream (Dec 14th) they're going to re-riff Manos.

What next? Mary Jo & Bridget do their version?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Get off my land, you credits!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NO! Now they're going back the other way!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
"Huh??"
"Boyd, what happened??"
"Nitrous."

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Think we should try some of that kissin', Burt?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

HITLER'S DEATH CAR!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

FONZIE'S DEATH CAR!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Filipino Crotch Fighting

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Think we should try some of that kissin', Burt?

Why don't you kiss her instead of talking her to death?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Sydney Bottocks posted:

On the (infinitely) brighter side, "Dutch" from The Giant Spider Invasion was married in real life to Barbara "VAAAAAANCE!" Hale, and their son was The Greatest American Hero himself, William Katt.
this legit blew my mind. "house" is my favorite horror movie of all time and katt was one of the best part of it

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Believe it or not, this movie's still on
It should've ended two hours ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
HE TRIIIIED TO KILL ME WITH A FORKLIFT