Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Would watching other David Lynch movies like Blue Velvet add something to the Twin Peaks experience?

FWWM is fantastic but if you don't know what to expect and are disappointed by the shortage of Kyle MacLachlan in that movie, Blue Velvet could go a long way toward filling that young Kyle shaped hole in your life.

I watched Mulholland Dr. for the first time sometime after watching season 3, and I was struck by how many themes from season 3 were also present in that movie, down to the similarities in their endings, specifically the twist at the end of Mulholland Dr. and the Richard and Linda twist in the final episode. If you find one interesting, there's a good chance that you'll find the other interesting, too.

e:

Mantis42 posted:

Mulholland Drive is like Twin Peaks in a microcosm. It's a cancelled TV show turned movie that radically recontextualizes itself like halfway through.

Yeah, reading about the making of Mulholland Drive adds to the Twin Peaks experience just as much as actually viewing the movie.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Would watching other David Lynch movies like Blue Velvet add something to the Twin Peaks experience?

Mantis42 posted:

Mulholland Drive is like Twin Peaks in a microcosm. It's a cancelled TV show turned movie that radically recontextualizes itself like halfway through.
All his movies are fun and deal with similar things, but I feel like Mulholland Drive is essential viewing. Compared to most of his movies, its wrapped up nicely and a pretty closed story with a mostly single interpretation. Understanding Mullholland Drives gives you a really good framework to look at a lot of the weirder parts of Twin Peaks.

The main theme I am talking about is his use of doppelgangers, and the way they are used to examine self. How they can represent the comforting lies we tell ourselves, and create a foundation for our identity. Twin peaks IMO is ultimately about coopers fractured sense of self. You also get a lot of weird dreamlike reality bending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

eSporks posted:

Seeing that episode for the first time was pure magic. I have never experienced a TV or movie experience that incredible. This is not hyperbole either, its an amazing and indescribable experience. Lots of other great moments in s3 too, and lets make sure not to spoil it for the pastor.

Seriously, I was mouth agape through almost the entirety of that magical episode, probably the best single episode of a television show I have ever seen in my life.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The Evolution of Horror podcast is covering a bunch of Lynch stuff in its current series, which has been great. The guy also made the best and easiest to follow MD explanation video I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JmaTQoZ_Q

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Mullholland Drive is easy to figure out if ya watch it 5 or 6 times. It really is a fantastic movie.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I know this year has enough of it. Today, David Lynches coffee machine broke down. Please everyone send your thoughts his way.
https://youtu.be/msgcpaPcU_I

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

eSporks posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I know this year has enough of it. Today, David Lynches coffee machine broke down. Please everyone send your thoughts his way.
https://youtu.be/msgcpaPcU_I

I'm sure he'll make a new and impractical one out of wood in his machine shop, to go with the wooden sink and fold out urinal.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I hope we get a video of making him making an espresso machine out of a 2x4.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Twin Peaks - The Return is not a show to be binge watched or to be left running in the background

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

eSporks posted:

I hope we get a video of making him making an espresso machine out of a 2x4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txPcLOtbG3s

If only he can find one that is the right size.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1313331900312743936

I'm so sleepy, Audrey :smith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat

I'd been enjoying his Blacklist role lately more than ever. He sure burned bright at the end there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He was a fantastic addition to season 3 of Twin Peaks, he felt like he fit perfectly into that weird world right from his very first (and very sleepy) scene, and I loved the weird mixture of henpecked husband and obvious authority figure who Audrey was uneasy being around he managed to get across in such a relatively low amount of screen time.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
A lot of people say the felt frustrated by the Dougie stuff the first time through S3, but he and Audrey's scenes (before they got to the Roadhouse) were what drove me bonkers with frustration. In the best possible way.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the Audrey scenes were frustrating because they perfectly captured the feeling of trying to do something in a dream, but never being quite able to do it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It was different having to wait a week between episodes, the desire to see coop was strong

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/twinpeaksarchve/status/1313820246050922496?s=21

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this is such a sadness

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

romanowski posted:

this is such a sadness

especially since the cast keeps passing away :(

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, the Audrey scenes were frustrating because they perfectly captured the feeling of trying to do something in a dream, but never being quite able to do it.

Wow that is an amazing way to put it.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I went back a few pages to check and I've not seen anything about it, so I wanted to ask.

Is anyone familiar with Twin Perfects analysis of Twin Peaks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AYnF5hOhuM

It's a bit of a weird take but as someone who really didn't understand much of season 3 it makes some sort of sense. But it's really quite an "out there" explanation, so I don't want to take it as gospel since I don't really have the grounding to make my own decision.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It sucks rear end

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

not gonna lie, I've never listened to or watched anyone else's interpretation of twin peaks and have next to zero desire to do so

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

hawowanlawow posted:

not gonna lie, I've never listened to or watched anyone else's interpretation of twin peaks and have next to zero desire to do so

Well thats good for you, but I don't really have the capacity or the words to fully interpret it and I rely on other sources to give me the words and meanings I need. So, sincerely, I'm happy you're able to get something out of Twin Peaks without outside help but not everyone is as lucky or as capable as you.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Twin Peaks isn’t something that has a magical explanation that ties it all together and if it did it wouldn’t be “David Lynch thinks TV is Bad, Actually”

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

OscarDiggs posted:

Well thats good for you, but I don't really have the capacity or the words to fully interpret it and I rely on other sources to give me the words and meanings I need. So, sincerely, I'm happy you're able to get something out of Twin Peaks without outside help but not everyone is as lucky or as capable as you.

this is sad, you sell yourself short

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I don't have a problem with attempting to interpret Twin Peaks, I just have no interest in watching that one because:

Escobarbarian posted:

Twin Peaks isn’t something that has a magical explanation that ties it all together and if it did it wouldn’t be “David Lynch thinks TV is Bad, Actually”

IMO Lynch has made it clear that Twin Peaks is meant to be a mystery that defies explanation, rather than a secret to be discovered. I don't think there's meant to be a clean, unifying, canonical explanation to Twin Peaks... but if there is, I agree, I don't think it's "this medium is so bad I just devoted another 18 hours to it".

If you get through the end of season 3 and are asking "what the hell just happened", I think you'd get better mileage and have more fun watching Mulholland Dr., then reading an interpretation or two of Mulholland Dr., and then rewatching the opening scene of s3e1. (Edit: and you can do that in half the run-time of that youtube video!)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
It's fine to watch it, just take it with a grain of salt and watch/read some different commentaries too so you don't get tracked into thinking that's the only way to interpret TP.

I can't seem to find it now, but there's a dude on Reddit (LouMing something or other) who's doing a scene by scene of the Return that focuses on it all as a Laura Palmer dreamscape. It took him maybe 40 posts to get through the first couple of episodes and he's probably going to run out of steam to finish it all but something like that is a good antidote before you get tracked into thinking twin peaks is exclusively a commentary on modern media.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OscarDiggs posted:

I went back a few pages to check and I've not seen anything about it, so I wanted to ask.

Is anyone familiar with Twin Perfects analysis of Twin Peaks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AYnF5hOhuM

It's a bit of a weird take but as someone who really didn't understand much of season 3 it makes some sort of sense. But it's really quite an "out there" explanation, so I don't want to take it as gospel since I don't really have the grounding to make my own decision.
It's in the OP.

I watched that whole thing one day and he raises some interesting points but I don't think he solved the Twin Peaks mystery. In fact, I think it's a mystery for a reason and shouldn't be solved.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
As with most things David Lynch, there isn’t really anything to solve. It’s pure impression and instinct and exists solely to convey a feeling. There might be some solid narrative structure as a vague backbone, but that’s about it.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

It sucks rear end

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I agree that there is no one true answer to explain season 3, but I really enjoy the theory from waggish.org that explains it as the Carrie Page universe as a trap to catch Judy. It gives the ending a purpose in a way i find comforting.

Conversely, I also like the idea that no matter what Dale does, he can't beat the Lodge entities, because he's just a man, so in the end, nothing is solved.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

But also he's Coop, so he'll never stop trying :shobon:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I assume there are many good articles and/or video essays out there to engage with that aren't 4.5 hours of bullshit titled "Twin Peaks ACTUALLY EXPLAINED"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have always operated under the assumption that anything on youtube that goes "ending EXPLAINED" at you will either be pointing out the most obvious possible things or completely untenable far-fetched bullshit, and this practice has served me well.

Blotto_Otter posted:

IMO Lynch has made it clear that Twin Peaks is meant to be a mystery that defies explanation, rather than a secret to be discovered.
Yeah that's very explicitly his unifying characteristic over all his career and something he'll readily tell everyone who asks him what something is about or what the secret is. And it was specifically going to be the characteristic of OG Twin Peaks too, with him never intending to reveal who actually killed Laura. You can theorize all day long about who's the murderer or what's the secret backstory but the show is simply not about that. You just get a lot of elements that feel like clues because Lynch is playing with the format of mystery.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mulholland Dr is basically the only one that has a one-sentence explanation that makes the majority of the movie fall into place so maybe some people who got into Lynch via that assume the rest of his work will be the same

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think people just naturally assume a mysterious movie is gonna be, like, the Shyamalan kind of mystery, but yeah.

Actually remember that Mulholland Drive itself was originally intended as an open ended pilot. There's a portion of it that was added later in production to tie things together into one neat explanation, but that explanation may just be one of several ways the original open ended material might have offered. Imagine if all Twin Peaks ever had been was the pilot with the international ending.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I agree that there is no one true answer to explain season 3, but I really enjoy the theory from waggish.org that explains it as the Carrie Page universe as a trap to catch Judy. It gives the ending a purpose in a way i find comforting.

I like this one too, but maybe that's just because I want to believe in something that makes the ending seem a bit less bleak and hopeless. I started to come around to this after rewatching season 3 and realizing that the opening scenes of the season directly reference the ending. My take on that is that the Fireman is either reminding Cooper of the plan he is supposed to set in motion, or this is taking place after the ending and the Fireman is reminding a confused Cooper of what the hell just happened. edit: I especially like this theory because it lets you have your cake and eat it too - the show's confusing ending is narratively frustrating but ends on just the emotional note Lynch wanted to leave you with, while the hints toward some modest measure of resolution and closure are presented out-of-order so as to avoid stepping on the emotional impact of the ending.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually remember that Mulholland Drive itself was originally intended as an open ended pilot. There's a portion of it that was added later in production to tie things together into one neat explanation, but that explanation may just be one of several ways the original open ended material might have offered. Imagine if all Twin Peaks ever had been was the pilot with the international ending.
After watching the whole thing a second time through, I think I've come to appreciate that, after being forced by the network to resolve the mystery that drove the story, Lynch and Frost went back two separate times over 25 years and recommitted to making it an open-ended mystery again.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 13, 2020

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I don't think I have seen anyone answer what year it is, so no mystery NOT SOLVED. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

eSporks posted:

I don't think I have seen anyone answer what year it is, so no mystery NOT SOLVED. :colbert:

Ugh can’t believe these hacks introducing new mysteries in the last minute of the entire show!