Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
There are some really pretty pages involving The Crystal Palace.

The pacing is similar to A Bride's Story, but it jumps between characters far less.

The art improves drastically over time, though it's not bad in the first place.

Mori's definitely put a lot of research in, but there are still certain things that don't ring true to history every now and then. I feel like it doesn't quite hold up to A Bride's Story on that front, but that might just be because I'm a lot more familiar with Victorian London than central Asia during the same period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Arslan Senki anyone?

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=97707

Manga adaption done by the creator of FMA and suits her art style/story telling well. I never read the original but it's fairly well-known.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Did she finish the farm school story then?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Jackard posted:

No, still ongoing. It even has a S2 anime adaptation.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Alder posted:

Arslan Senki anyone?

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=97707

Manga adaption done by the creator of FMA and suits her art style/story telling well. I never read the original but it's fairly well-known.

Please speak English.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jackard posted:

Silver Spoon is way better than Arslan though, you should read it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Not that it's bad, I just lost interest after the pizza plotline.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

coathat posted:

Please speak English.

Google Translate is here for you.

Jackard posted:

Not that it's bad, I just lost interest after the pizza plotline.

I got bored of the anime but the manga series itself is entertaining. It's a calming SoL vs say FMA where everyone is trying to kill everyone else.

Alder fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 3, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

Alder posted:

Google Translate is here for you.

Why would I do that when it's written in English all over the place when I go to read it? http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/the-heroic-legend-of-arslan/volumes

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alder posted:

I got bored of the anime but the manga series itself is entertaining. It's a calming SoL vs say FMA where everyone is trying to kill everyone else.

I dropped it early on because it wasn't as funny as FMA even though FMA features genocide as a central theme. Does it get better?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I dropped it early on because it wasn't as funny as FMA even though FMA features genocide as a central theme. Does it get better?

Welp, if you didn't find it entertaining then I'd say not much of it changes later on. Most of it is about the MC learning how to run his own farming company and not be bankrupt in one month.

I did enjoy learning about farming and agriculture in modern day Japan along the way.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
A Bride's Story updated (you may notice all the previous chapters got DMCA'd off Batoto, check other sites to catch up, sorry)

coathat
May 21, 2007

Volume six just came out for people who actually want to support the manga.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

A Bride's Story updated (you may notice all the previous chapters got DMCA'd off Batoto, check other sites to catch up, sorry)

19th century Central Asia seems remarkably progressive on the subject of gay marriage.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This arc lacks both comedy and drama. Please break Mr Smith's heart again or something.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rodyle posted:

This arc lacks both comedy and drama. Please break Mr Smith's heart again or something.

We're probably gonna have drama next time given things I vaguely remember about old Indian customs regarding what happens to widowed women.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blhue posted:

We're probably gonna have drama next time given things I vaguely remember about old Indian customs regarding what happens to widowed women.

Aren't we in Persia right now?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I forget. I always assumed it was India, but I'm not gonna pretend I'm right.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I think we're either in Persia or the area that's modern-day Turkmenistan. Definitely somewhere Shia, at least.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rodyle posted:

But there's a adorable fluffy cat in the latest chapters :3:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, say what you want about this arc, at least it has the grumpiest and fluffiest cat.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

The Sandman posted:

I think we're either in Persia or the area that's modern-day Turkmenistan. Definitely somewhere Shia, at least.

I think you're right. Henry and Ali are headed to Ankara via Tehran and probably Baghdad. I'm assuming Tehran is going to be it's own arc, and they were talking about the first imam Ali during the sisterhood ceremony.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 6, 2014

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Was the "sisterhood vow" a real thing in that time and culture?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ATP5G1 posted:

I would google it but lately it's been letting me down :(

It works fine for extremely specific requests but for general questions it's less than accurate.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So does sister hood mean financial obligations as well? In this comic it feels more like a front for lesbianism.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

caberham posted:

So does sister hood mean financial obligations as well? In this comic it feels more like a front for lesbianism.

I thought it was lesbianism.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Since we're spending so much time in the baths, here is a letter by Lady Montagu about her time in an Ottoman Turkish bath in the 1700s. Read the last section.
https://www.wwnorton.com/college/english/nael/18century/topic_4/montagu.htm

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

ATP5G1 posted:

I spent a few hours trying to find anything on it and turned up bupkiss, but one commenter on another site had this to say:

quote:

For those who don't get the sisterhood ceremony, this is basically the female version of the Oath of the Peach Garden. Just like how men in martial societies swore oaths of brotherhood to each other in formal ceremonies with religious overtones, women also did in some societies. To some extent the women's oath has more significance than the men's ('coz to be fair men broke their oaths with distressing regularity - just ask the andas Temujin and Jamuka), because sisters in Muslim societies were expected to assist each other socially and economically at all times. In Persia (Iran) of the 19th century this led to the formation of an underground financing network where widows or divorced women ran businesses by collecting money from their sisters and friends and pool them into vast investment funds, with profits shared between members of the sisterhood or circle of friends. The businesses themselves were of course run by men, but the women held the reins. When one or more members of the network fell into hard times, the rest of the members would offer parts or all of their profit to help her. We're probably going to see this at play now that Shirin's husband is in trouble and Shirin's livelihood is in danger.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Considering the need for more awesome historical manga and a setting/story with this much potential, it's a pity how bland and generic Ad Astra feels. I guess there's that one little series set in Carthage that the manga-ka behind Historie did, maybe I'll finally give that a look.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I just finished volume 10 of Ooku and needless to say it was excellent. I highly recommend that you go out and buy it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Two new Cesare!

This time, those dastardly Pazzi have set a trap in Florence, and the King of France married without the Pope's blessing!

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

sparklecat comix continues: Otoyomegatari 42

One more chapter to go on this story, and I agree it's been a little bit dull but man the pages with the dark garden lit up in the moonlight and poo poo have been real purty

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

sparklecat comix continues: Otoyomegatari 42

These last few chapters have made me really want a cat manga from Mori.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

I would buy it on day one. I don't even care if it's hardcover and $20 volume.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Nipponophile posted:

Collab with Ito Junji.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Collab with Ito Junji.
Is he the one that always kills them? Or was it dogs?

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Jackard posted:

Isn't that Araki from JoJo Bizarre Adventure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jackard posted:

Is that the face of a man who could kill a cat?