Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Call American Airlines and ask about their "see south america" package, you'll need a real travel agent on the line. What I did was Dallas->Miami->Bogota (Colombia)->Lima (Peru)-> Cuszco->Lima->Buenos Aires->Lima->Miami->Dallas for about $1,995, I saved about $600 in air fare going this route and it gave me the option to slide my dates around as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engin3
Mar 5, 2012
I'm contemplating an extensive (90 day minimum) South American trip that will involve Colombia, Peru, and Bolivia with all of the details up in the air. Can anyone recommend books or blogs about the experience of backpacking those areas?

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

TheImmigrant posted:

Extremely helpful words and advice

I already puss'ed out and I'm doing 10 days in Costa Rica and maybe some Panama. One way flights are too loving expensive.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011
I'm going to have 9 days in Costa Rica coming up at the end of summer, flying in to San Jose. I would like to spend a few days there and I'm looking for suggestions on stuff to check out in the capital.

I'd also like to see the pacific coast while there, what is traveling from San Jose to the coast like via bus as far as expense and length of time? What are some cool places to check out on the way or while there?

I'm mainly looking at lonely planet and wikitravel for information right now, are there any other good sources for costa rica?

Thanks in advance.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

somnolence posted:

I'm going to have 9 days in Costa Rica coming up at the end of summer, flying in to San Jose. I would like to spend a few days there and I'm looking for suggestions on stuff to check out in the capital.

I'd also like to see the pacific coast while there, what is traveling from San Jose to the coast like via bus as far as expense and length of time? What are some cool places to check out on the way or while there?

I'm mainly looking at lonely planet and wikitravel for information right now, are there any other good sources for costa rica?

Thanks in advance.

San José is a dump with little to endear it. Buses to the coast are easy and comfortable. Plan on $3 or so per hour of travel. Jaco is the closest beach town, but crowded and without a nice beach. Guanacaste has great beaches - Tamarindo is a good spot. On the other side of Jaco, Dominical is a chill beach spot.

Consider Puerto Viejo and Cahuita too, on the Caribbean coast near Panama. This is my favorite area in Costa Rica. Very Caribbean vibe, distinct from the rest of the country. It takes about four hours on a bus from San José, via Limón.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

San José is a dump with little to endear it. Buses to the coast are easy and comfortable. Plan on $3 or so per hour of travel. Jaco is the closest beach town, but crowded and without a nice beach. Guanacaste has great beaches - Tamarindo is a good spot. On the other side of Jaco, Dominical is a chill beach spot.

Consider Puerto Viejo and Cahuita too, on the Caribbean coast near Panama. This is my favorite area in Costa Rica. Very Caribbean vibe, distinct from the rest of the country. It takes about four hours on a bus from San José, via Limón.

Noted, I'll aim to leave SJ shortly after arriving and head for the coast. Thanks for the information!

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

somnolence posted:

Noted, I'll aim to leave SJ shortly after arriving and head for the coast. Thanks for the information!

No worries. You'll probably have to spend at least one night in the capital. It's unattractive, but not nearly as dangerous as most Central American cities. San José isn't terrible like Guatemala City or San Pedro Sula - it's just not a vacation place. It does have several good hostels though. I can recommend both Costa Rica Backpackers and Pangea. The city is absolutely crawling with prostitutes and foreign mongers. Prostitution is legal in CR, and it's a major sex-tourist destination. I once wound up in a bar (New York Bar) that was a front for them. I camped it up and claimed to be gay, and wound up BFF for the moment with a half-dozen workers there. I probably spent more on their Jägermeister shots than I would've spent to take two or three of them home.

Don't worry about getting around CR though. Tourism is the country's lifeblood, and they do it well. It's expensive for Central America, but still a bargain by US or European standards. There's not much violent crime, but be wary of theft, which is commonplace. With nine days, you can reasonably see three or maybe four destinations. Beaches, maybe a volcano (Arenal is the popular one, easily reached from Liberia in Guanacaste).

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011
Is renting a car worth the expense/trouble? I feel like I may be able to see more of the country if I do so, but I've also read that the roads are a bit treacherous.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

somnolence posted:

Is renting a car worth the expense/trouble? I feel like I may be able to see more of the country if I do so, but I've also read that the roads are a bit treacherous.

Eh. I'd recommend not if you were visiting countries to the north, but you'll be fine.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

somnolence posted:

Can't speak from experience, but I can't imagine it would be worth it. CR roads can be pretty bad. Taxis and buses are cheap. I took a private taxi from Liberia 45 minutes to a beach, and paid less than $20. CR's tourist infrastructure is well-developed, and unless you're going somewhere really off the beaten path, you don't need a car.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 28, 2014

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Does anyone know just how drivable the road from Santiago to La Parva is in the winter?

I have to go on specific dates if I go, and it's like a billion dollars to rent anything in the three valleys, so I'm thinking of staying at a hotel on the outskirts of Santiago near the highway and driving up every morning and back down every afternoon. A few things on the internet say the road is sketchy, but I don't know if that means "like every single road leading to a mountain ever" or "actually risk death every time you go".

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Hi all, so I posted awhile back about doing a possible Mexico/Belize/Guatemala route. I'm about a week out from the end of my trip so I thought I'd write up a little trip report.

I flew into Cancun to meet my friend and we took an ADO bus to Playa Del Carmen. Our other friend got in on the bus later that night. We rented a room on AirBNB there. It was $40/night split in half, so only $20/night. We stayed there a week. In retrospect I feel like that was too long, but we're both limited to weekend movement because of work where we have to be available during business hours, so there wasn't really much I could do about that short of taking a day off. There is an amazing tacquiera at 4th Street/15th Avenue. Don't miss it, you can get 5 tacos and a soda for like $4. We ate lunch there every day. As for nightlife, our first night there we were pulled into about 3 different nightclubs on 12th Street for free, along with free open bar. We were wearing tanks, shorts, and flip flops - hardly club clothes, but we were a group of 3 women so I guess that's what did it. So that was worth it, I guess? Food for dinner was amazing pretty much everywhere with great drink specials. I was able to keep my food budget sub-$25 here per day and you could probably do sub $20 if you only ordered whatever advertised specials were and ate at the cheap taco place for lunch each day. We also got 70 minute massages on the beach for $20 USD.

After Cancun we took the ADO bus again to Chetumal and then a ferry to Caye Caulker, Belize. The ADO bus ride was about 5 hours and the ferry took 2 1/2 even though they had said 1 hour 45 minutes - and it was a rough ride. I would not do this route again to go to the Belize islands. Stayed on Caye Caulker for a week. This was NOT too long, in my opinion. I liked how it wasn't nearly as intense as far as partying like PDC was. It was very, very chill. We had a private double at Yuma's House right next to the water taxi (our third counterpart only came for a week in Mexico). Great place to stay and not a party hostel, but still easy to meet people and the owner enforces strict quiet hours which is great if you're a diver or have to hit the road early in the morning. Food was much more expensive than Mexico but Lobster Season opened the day after we got there (June 15th) so cheap lobster specials were to be had everywhere. We met some backpackers on the ferry over who we went to the I & I Reggae Bar with - great spot with a lot of locals and excellent music.

Edit: also, I went out on a night dive with Frenchie's dive shop, it was excellent. They just took us a short distance out to the nearby barrier reef. Well worth it, it was like $65 USD I think.

Today we took the water taxi from Caye Caulker to San Pedro and we will be here a week as well. We're staying at Pedro's Backpacker's Inn. Our room is tiny and much hotter than at Yuma's...ugh. But it's clean. Not as centrally located as Yuma's was so we're trying to see about renting bikes for the week so that we don't have to walk 15 minutes every time we want to eat or do stuff. There are two swimming pools here so I'm looking forward to working out by the pool come Monday. The San Pedro big lobster fest thing is tonight so that will be dinner.

I'm flying home next Saturday out of Belize City. I opted against Guatemala due to flight prices out of Guatemala City - Belize City was way cheaper. My friend was flexible about coming here to San Pedro with me since she's on like a 5 month trek trying to make it all the way to Peru. She's actually going back to PDC the same day I head home, then back to Caye Caulker for another unknown amount of time because she loved it so much.

Definitely can't wait to do a long, long trip with my husband and finally see it all. I think we're probably going to wind up renting a long term furnished rental either on Caye Caulker or here in San Pedro once we see Central and South America. The annoying thing is being unable to plan because we have to wait for him to get a VA rating and ETS date from the Army.

Anyways, just my thoughts, sorry for the TL;DR.

Hip Hoptimus Prime fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 22, 2014

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Hi all, so I posted awhile back about doing a possible Mexico/Belize/Guatemala route. I'm about a week out from the end of my trip so I thought I'd write up a little trip report.
Anyways, just my thoughts, sorry for the TL;DR.

Thanks for posting this. The thread needs more cool stories for me to read because my plans to go to Latin America never manifest. Post some cool pics if you got any.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

PlesantDilemma posted:

Thanks for posting this. The thread needs more cool stories for me to read because my plans to go to Latin America never manifest. Post some cool pics if you got any.

Thanks. I am beyond ready to get home now. I'm not thrilled with this hostel and if I was traveling solo, I would've moved to another place to stay. No AC here is hell and twice this week there has been no running water. I'm all for cheap rooms and etc. but I need showers if there's no AC.

We did wind up renting bikes for the week but it's a huge hassle. You have to lock them or they will get stolen. Even though biking is common here there are fewer bike racks than you might think. There's also so much golf cart traffic and even though they are only golf carts it's really scary to share the main road with them.

Overall my San Pedro experience has not been the best. I want to come back and stay somewhere a little better (and more central) and give it another shot.

Oh! and as far as food here:

Neri's Tacos is super delicious and dirt cheap. It's a small taco stand not too far from the airport.

Caramba's restaurant is moderately priced with great food, we've eaten there a couple times this week.

Warumba's (spelling?) El Salvadorian food - they have papusas and other stuff. Really great stuff.

DandE's frozen custard is the bomb.

We're trying Caroline's tonight.

But overall next time I go traveling it's either going to be completely solo (so I don't have to live within the confines of someone else's budget) or with my husband. No other option there, sadly. I'm glad that this was a moderate length trip of 3 weeks and that I didn't commit to 5 months with my friend.

Sorry for being a bit of a downer. It happens, oh well. :)

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

HookShot posted:

Does anyone know just how drivable the road from Santiago to La Parva is in the winter?

I have to go on specific dates if I go, and it's like a billion dollars to rent anything in the three valleys, so I'm thinking of staying at a hotel on the outskirts of Santiago near the highway and driving up every morning and back down every afternoon. A few things on the internet say the road is sketchy, but I don't know if that means "like every single road leading to a mountain ever" or "actually risk death every time you go".

It's not that bad, but it's no day commute. It could take you upwards of 2 hours. You can go up the road in google streetview. I think right now tire chains are required, so that will probably complicate using a rental car. Rental cars and gas are expensive here and it'll probably be manual. If you don't want to stay in the valleys, there are services that pick you up at your hotel and drive you there. Some hotels/hostes might even offer it themselves.
You might find some cheaper places to stay in Farellones, so look there on booking.com.

For shuttles from the city:
I haven't used any of these, so I can't vouch for them

http://www.kladventure.com/ski-shuttle-service/
http://www.skitotal.cl/transporte.html
http://chile.gotolatin.com/eng/Guide/ChileSkiGuide/Chile-Ski-Guide-Transporte.asp

When are you going? I might go this weekend or sometime this month to either there or Cajon Del Maipo

King Metal fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 1, 2014

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

King Metal posted:

It's not that bad, but it's no day commute. It could take you upwards of 2 hours. You can go up the road in google streetview. I think right now tire chains are required, so that will probably complicate using a rental car. Rental cars and gas are expensive here and it'll probably be manual. If you don't want to stay in the valleys, there are services that pick you up at your hotel and drive you there. Some hotels/hostes might even offer it themselves.
You might find some cheaper places to stay in Farellones, so look there on booking.com.

For shuttles from the city:
I haven't used any of these, so I can't vouch for them

http://www.kladventure.com/ski-shuttle-service/
http://www.skitotal.cl/transporte.html
http://chile.gotolatin.com/eng/Guide/ChileSkiGuide/Chile-Ski-Guide-Transporte.asp

When are you going? I might go this weekend or sometime this month to either there or Cajon Del Maipo

Awesome, thanks for this!! I'm looking at probably late July, the 20th-30th range or so.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Thanks for all the thread info. I've been skimming it to get ideas. I'm not sure where, but I'm planning a month in south america next summer. As a college graduation present, my mom is letting me use 1 week of her timeshare/vacation package thing for a resort, so I have a handful of options in South America. I'm planning on doing 3 or 4 weeks of backpacking, and then a week at a hotel somewhere in the trip. I'm not going to ask any big questions until I've read the thread, but after skimming I'm really excited.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Looks like I'll be hitting the road again, probably in the next 3 months, with my husband in tow this time. :)

We want to head to Caye Caulker for at least a month. I loved it so much last time I was there, I want to stay longer this time. If we need variety we can always hop over to San Pedro for a couple nights here and there.

After doing that though I would like to then go to Costa Rica/Panama/Ecuador. So we'll just see where this takes us. It will be a pretty lengthy trip. Looking at maybe 6 months or longer but I want to avoid dangerous countries (Honduras except the Bay Islands and El Salvador).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I had an absolutely fantastic time in El Salvador, and San Salvador is much nicer than any city I've seen in CA; it's comparable to Monterey imo. Good roads, too. I wish the food in Central America were as good as Mexico.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Looks like I'll be hitting the road again, probably in the next 3 months, with my husband in tow this time. :)

We want to head to Caye Caulker for at least a month. I loved it so much last time I was there, I want to stay longer this time. If we need variety we can always hop over to San Pedro for a couple nights here and there.

After doing that though I would like to then go to Costa Rica/Panama/Ecuador. So we'll just see where this takes us. It will be a pretty lengthy trip. Looking at maybe 6 months or longer but I want to avoid dangerous countries (Honduras except the Bay Islands and El Salvador).

Look into Nicaragua - it's the dark-horse country of Central America. There's fantastic beaches and volcanos, a perfect island at Ometepe, rival colonial towns of Leon and Granada, and it's really cheap. You need half the budget in Nicaragua that you need for Belize, for better beaches and accommodations. It's probably the safest country in CA too.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

TheImmigrant posted:

Look into Nicaragua - it's the dark-horse country of Central America. There's fantastic beaches and volcanos, a perfect island at Ometepe, rival colonial towns of Leon and Granada, and it's really cheap. You need half the budget in Nicaragua that you need for Belize, for better beaches and accommodations. It's probably the safest country in CA too.

Is there still strong "political" stuff going on there?

Now my husband is saying he wants to go somewhere besides CA for the first leg of our RTW trip. Our home base is going to be south Florida, so we can fly a lot of places on Norwegian Airlines really cheaply out of Fort Lauderdale. In the fall many flights to European cities are sitting at around $300 right now, and flights to Bangkok are about $400. So we're in the midst of trying to figure out what we want to do.

e: Obviously, save for the flight portion, we know Europe will be $$$$ even if we hostel it, comparatively speaking to CA and SE Asia. My personal opinion is that we do either CA or SE Asia first, so that while we're in those countries we're coming in under average budget and therefore have more cash on hand when we finally do head to Europe. Thoughts? Of course, timing is important because if it's next summer by the time we're ready to go to Europe, prices will be high for flights since it'll be high season.

Hip Hoptimus Prime fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 13, 2014

FigBug
Apr 27, 2002

Lemon Party - Lest we Forget
How dangerous is Trinidad really? From the news it sounds terrible, but if you mind your own business / stay out of trouble areas, will you be fine? I haven't been since '95 and want to take my wife, who won't blend in at all.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Is there still strong "political" stuff going on there?

Now my husband is saying he wants to go somewhere besides CA for the first leg of our RTW trip.

Unless you are personally interacting with cartel people, central america is not at all dangerous. After reading the last few years I would put Nicaragua in Easy Mode along with Costa Rica. I'd agree that it's a hidden gem at the moment.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Ok, the wife is considering a redux of her trip to belize with her friend and myself. After a moderate search of mayan glyphs that are airfare websites I've come to a conclusion that flying into Cancun and then overlanding it to Placenia. The price difference between flying into Cancun and busing it down compared to flying more directly into Belize City is something like $Alabama (700-800 difference for 2 (~444/each vs ~780)), but she is quite leery of making such a journey.

Is my idea of busing it complete lunacy or is it valid? Other ways to get there in the cheaper area of things?

Thoughts? Opinions? (aiming for post xmas pre newyears arrival and staying a week+)

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Jack Forge posted:

Ok, the wife is considering a redux of her trip to belize with her friend and myself. After a moderate search of mayan glyphs that are airfare websites I've come to a conclusion that flying into Cancun and then overlanding it to Placenia. The price difference between flying into Cancun and busing it down compared to flying more directly into Belize City is something like $Alabama (700-800 difference for 2 (~444/each vs ~780)), but she is quite leery of making such a journey.

Is my idea of busing it complete lunacy or is it valid? Other ways to get there in the cheaper area of things?

Thoughts? Opinions? (aiming for post xmas pre newyears arrival and staying a week+)

I did something similar, though not exactly the same exactly a month ago. I flew to Cancun, spent a week in Playa del Carmen, then bused it on an ADO bus to Chetumal (border town). Then we took a ferry from Chetumal to Caye Caulker. The bus ride to Chetumal was about 5 hours. Then the ferry to Caulker was a 2 1/2, horrifically bumpy ordeal which I would not do again. All told with transfers, waiting around because they don't adhere to schedules the same way Americans do, etc. we spent about 11 hours traveling from PDC to Caye Caulker.

However, the ADO bus was really comfy with plenty of legroom, AC, a lavatory in the back and some of the buses are super fancy with WiFi even. Bring books to read and pack food (no stops for lunch).

I am not sure if there is a direct ADO bus from Cancun to Belize City, but I know there is one from PDC to Belize City, so worst case you hop on one in Cancun, get off at the PDC bus station, and transfer buses for the remainder of the route. I am not sure from Belize City what bus options there are to Placencia. My husband and I went to Placencia a year ago, and we flew from Belize City to Placencia on Tropic Air. It's a short flight and about $72 per person. Might be worth it after a long bus trip from Mexico and you'd still come out ahead budget wise.

I love Belize. Placencia has some amazing restaurants--I highly recommend Mojo's and Rumfish y Vino when you finally make it there.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Jack Forge posted:

You're looking at a very long overland trip with this. It's 5-6 hours from Cancun to Chetumal on comfortable Mexican buses, but then it gets hairy. It'll take an hour or so to cross into Belize, where the buses tend to be chicken buses. Yes, the old-school school buses from the States bouncing around on Belize's roads, which can be awful. It'll probably take another 7 hours to get to Placencia, with a change in Belize City. I can endure three hours on a chicken bus, and then I get twitchy.

Look into a domestic flight from Belize City to Placencia. International airfares are steep, but domestic ones inside Belize are reasonable.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Excellent point.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I'm looking to do a 2 day 1 night tour (Tambopata National Reserve) of the jungle during my trip to Peru. Does anyone here have experiences or recommendations with the tour companies? We are planning on flying in from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado in the morning and hoping to depart for the tour when we land. We're planning on staying 1 night in Puerto Maldonado after the tour ends in the late afternoon, then flying back to Cusco the following morning.

The two companies that are most prominent in my searches are http://www.sandovallakelodge.com/ and http://tambopatatours.com/ any experiences with either? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
So my buddy and I are looking into traveling to Colombia next spring. I would want to do Bogota and another city like Medellin or Barranquilla. Goons who have been to Colombia before, what would you recommend? How does the exchange rate work because 100 USD is like 200,000 Colombian pesos or something? Would we be carrying around ridiculous amounts of money and would that be a safety risk? Any info would be awesome.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I usually carry $200 USD on me at all times, one C bill and 5 $20s. I've never had to use it in an emergency but I was able to trade a $20 for a bitchin' indie Mexican fusion funk CD at a speak easy once.

And then yeah about $200 in local currency. Just on case some awesome situation comes up and you get invited by two Australian girls to come with them to the next city over for a few days. Or a long night out and the expensive taxi ride home. Losing $200 shouldn't happen, but you should have a plan for it if it happens.

ShaggiusPrime
Aug 30, 2005
Kill my boss, dare I live out the American dream?

Zochness posted:

So my buddy and I are looking into traveling to Colombia next spring. I would want to do Bogota and another city like Medellin or Barranquilla. Goons who have been to Colombia before, what would you recommend? How does the exchange rate work because 100 USD is like 200,000 Colombian pesos or something? Would we be carrying around ridiculous amounts of money and would that be a safety risk? Any info would be awesome.

How long would you be planning on traveling? I was there this past December and think you could probably spend 2 days in Bogota and be happy. Also, I hung out with a German girl who lived Barranquilla and she said it wasn't worth visiting. I only passed through on bus, but I didn't see anything to refute that. Medellin is definitely a cool city and I would recommend checking it out.

My 3 favorite places that I went to in Colombia were probably...

Tierradentro - Pre-Colombian tombs dug into the earth, some with still in tact paintings and carvings into the wall. In a really gorgeous mountainous area and you stay in a really beautiful little village called San Andres.
Guatape - Close to Medellin. Has a large lake that was created by a dam. As well as a giant rock that you can climb up.
The town is also really colorfully painted and charming.
Palomino - Quiet beach town east of Tayrona Park about an hour. Really beautiful area where mountains meet the sea. One clear morning I was able to see snow capped mountains from my hostel on a Carribean beach.

I had about 3 and a half weeks and felt I could have easily spent double the time or more. There's so much natural beauty and the people were in general extremely friendly. It's probably been the favorite country I've traveled to. If you can, spend some time exploring it. Definitely don't spend all your time in the big cities. I feel like you really get a true taste for the country out in the country and in the villages.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Zochness posted:

I always carry about $200 US, hidden away. (Make sure the notes stay fresh - dirty or torn C-notes are often refused.). The exchange rate is usually just under 2000 COP to the dollar. There are ATMs all over Colombian cities, so don't worry about carrying cash for your entire trip. Just have a couple of backup sources for cash, and don't keep everything in the same place.

I'm a huge fan of Medellin. Barranquilla is an ugly port, not worth visiting unless it's Carnaval or Shakira is taking you home to meet her family. Bogota is fun too, with some interesting progressive urban infrastructure. It's cold and rainy though - hilarious seeing backpackers arrive unprepared for the climate at 8000+ feet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had a ton of trouble finding ATMs in Colombia that worked with my Wells Fargo debit card in 2009 and again in 2012. Citibank has a headquarters in Bogota near 7th and - in mid town-wish, and also a bank of ATMs near Museo del Oro about 10 blocks north of the Candelaria. If I saw Banco Colombia (which is everywhere), I just kept walking.

$200 usd or equivalent will get you in to, and out of, just about any trouble you're likely to run in to, that's my default "walking around money", and top off again when I get down below $40 or so.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
My girlfriend and I want to travel to South America from around December 28th - January 4th or 5th. We've been struggling with our options though.

Our original plan was Santiago, which she spent some time in, but flights are like like $1200, more than they have been in the past. We looked at Bolovia and Peru but it seems like the major attractions (Salt Flats, Machi Pichu) are going to be rough and maybe impossible to get to in the rainy season. We're also considering Colombia but we'd probably want to just stick to the major cities for safety and it doesn't seem like they're amazingly interesting (correct me if that's not true). The main goal is to escape the miserable northeastern US winter and see some interesting things.

Thoughts? Is there some cheaper flight option we're missing or destination? We're not really interested in Brazil or Argentina for this trip.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001
That's the average to Santiago. Sometimes you can get them for $900 or $1000 leaving from Miami or LA on LAN. The only part of Colombia you might call unsafe is the south

King Metal fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 25, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Colombia is pretty safe.

$1200 round trip to south America is about the going rate. It's about $390 via spirit airlines over Thanksgiving for some reason.

If you're going to south america from the northeast, plan many days as possible, it's a full day's travel each way. I would find a way to do 9 days if at all possible, and plan your arrival and departure dates for Sunday, as everything is closed that day.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Time Trial posted:

My girlfriend and I want to travel to South America from around December 28th - January 4th or 5th. We've been struggling with our options though.

Our original plan was Santiago, which she spent some time in, but flights are like like $1200, more than they have been in the past. We looked at Bolovia and Peru but it seems like the major attractions (Salt Flats, Machi Pichu) are going to be rough and maybe impossible to get to in the rainy season. We're also considering Colombia but we'd probably want to just stick to the major cities for safety and it doesn't seem like they're amazingly interesting (correct me if that's not true). The main goal is to escape the miserable northeastern US winter and see some interesting things.

Thoughts? Is there some cheaper flight option we're missing or destination? We're not really interested in Brazil or Argentina for this trip.

Have you looked into Ecuador? They use dollars here...

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
We haven't looked into equador, it doesn't seem to offer the same interesting array of cultural resources or particularly interesting environments that the other countries do, though that could easily be a misperception. We are aiming for about 9 days.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Time Trial posted:

We haven't looked into equador, it doesn't seem to offer the same interesting array of cultural resources or particularly interesting environments that the other countries do, though that could easily be a misperception. We are aiming for about 9 days.

9 days isn't a lot of time to visit a country like Peru (it's huge). When I visited Peru I had 40 days and I felt like it wasn't enough. What makes you think Ecuador doesn't have much to offer? Just like Peru it has a coast, the Andes, and the amazon rainforest.

white sauce fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Spend the whole time snorkeling in the Galapagos (seriously).