Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

pandaK posted:

What is the thread's opinion on night contacts? They've been working miracles on my vision for the last 4~5 years, and apparently my vision hasn't deteriorated since my first check up for them since I got prescribed the same intensity of lenses again. But sometimes I feel like I'm effectively acting as a guinea pig for them. I've googled these things a few times before, and from what I gather they're relatively new technology that doesn't have a lot of history backing them up. Can someone confirm or deny my cursory researching?
(Also I'm going to spill a secret and say that I managed to go the first 4 years completely on the same first set of lenses. Only when I went in for a check up a few months ago did I learn that they are only supposed to last for 2 years. I got put on some drops to rebalance the oxygen in my eyes or something like that, but I was wondering how hosed I am later in life because of this.)

if it works for you, its awesome!

im sure they your eyes are okay...but you need to be checked much more frequently as there is some potential for damage when sleeping in those RGP's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Drofnats posted:

Oh cool! I'm in Florida and am studying to get my license. I've been in the business for just over a year now and I'm really enjoying it and am looking at pursuing a long term career. How has it been for you?

It's been great! I love it. It's sometimes challenging, but also can be very rewarding.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
I just recently started wearing multifocal contacts. (Proclear, I think?) I've noticed that I'm squinting more than normal. Should I see if my prescription needs tweaking at the follow up this week, or ask for a different brand? I've been wearing bifocals for pretty much my entire life (got them at 6, am currently 27), so I have no experience with what is normal with contacts.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

NewsGunkie posted:

I just recently started wearing multifocal contacts. (Proclear, I think?) I've noticed that I'm squinting more than normal. Should I see if my prescription needs tweaking at the follow up this week, or ask for a different brand? I've been wearing bifocals for pretty much my entire life (got them at 6, am currently 27), so I have no experience with what is normal with contacts.

If they are comfy, and you have no issues with adapting to the distance/near design of the lenses (meaning you can see well both near and far) then I would get them tweaked rather then try another brand.

when fitting multifocals, once my patient can USE them, I stop switching brands and simply adjust the Rx to make it the best for the patient.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
You've probably already been asked this but what do you think about that company selling frames/lenses in SA Mart?

I'm wearing a $15 pair right now and they seem pretty great.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I tried lenses in early 2013 to correct my astigmatism but I just could not get used to them. Despite a week of wearing the test set I felt them in my eyes all the time and they produced this blur at the edge of my vision. Is this blur on the sides normal?

What mainly got me to decide against them was the price though, just too expensive in the long run. Prior to this I had the same glasses (& prescription) for watching the computer screen since 2004. I had developed a lazy eye which got worse and worse from watching a computer screen, the glasses helped with that.

Kept getting worse though, so I had strabismus surgery on my left eye in 2012 and after that my vision got so much better that I no longer use glasses at all now and I no longer have a lazy eye, all in all I am super happy with the results. I am still considering something to help with my astigmatism since I am a target shooter in my free time and seeing the front sight is getting harder.

greenchair
Jan 30, 2008
When contact lenses say that they're good for 30 days, does that mean 30 days of wear, or 30 days after opening? If I only wear them once a week, are they good for half a year or do I still need to change them each month?

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Orange_Lazarus posted:

You've probably already been asked this but what do you think about that company selling frames/lenses in SA Mart?

I'm wearing a $15 pair right now and they seem pretty great.

So long as its not a complicated Rx or bifocals, go for it. I would (and have) before.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

I tried lenses in early 2013 to correct my astigmatism but I just could not get used to them. Despite a week of wearing the test set I felt them in my eyes all the time and they produced this blur at the edge of my vision. Is this blur on the sides normal?

What mainly got me to decide against them was the price though, just too expensive in the long run. Prior to this I had the same glasses (& prescription) for watching the computer screen since 2004. I had developed a lazy eye which got worse and worse from watching a computer screen, the glasses helped with that.

Kept getting worse though, so I had strabismus surgery on my left eye in 2012 and after that my vision got so much better that I no longer use glasses at all now and I no longer have a lazy eye, all in all I am super happy with the results. I am still considering something to help with my astigmatism since I am a target shooter in my free time and seeing the front sight is getting harder.

Absolutely normal, yes. Takes a bit of time, but if it doesnt go away, try another brand (or even fitter)

perhaps getting a pair of glasses that will correct the astigmatism, but is also tinted yellow or orange, would be best for the shooting. The added contrast is a great help for shooters.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

greenchair posted:

When contact lenses say that they're good for 30 days, does that mean 30 days of wear, or 30 days after opening? If I only wear them once a week, are they good for half a year or do I still need to change them each month?

A good rule of thumb is 30 wears within 60 days, so long as they are cleaned and stored properly after each wear.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I was using Opti-Free Replenish (multipurpose) as my lens cleaning and storage solution. Apparently it's being discontinued and replaced by Opti-Free puremoist. Will that be a simple "just start using the new stuff" change, or is there something else I should do?

(Obviously if my eyes start hurting or go excessively red or whatever I'm going to go see my opto, but I'd rather not if it's a straightforward change.)

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Thel posted:

I was using Opti-Free Replenish (multipurpose) as my lens cleaning and storage solution. Apparently it's being discontinued and replaced by Opti-Free puremoist. Will that be a simple "just start using the new stuff" change, or is there something else I should do?

(Obviously if my eyes start hurting or go excessively red or whatever I'm going to go see my opto, but I'd rather not if it's a straightforward change.)

Once you can no longer get the RepleniSH, go see your fitter for a sample of the new stuff before you buy it. Why pay to try it when you'll get a few free samples right?

(But no, there shouldn't be an issue is what I have been told)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It's time to decide again whether to get contacts or glasses this year. Thanks to the job and hobbies, 10-12h daily in front of a computer screen is not uncommon. Do either glasses or contacts (or different types of contacts--I wear RGPs right now) have any advantage in terms of not ruining my eyes, rest breaks aside?

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

It's time to decide again whether to get contacts or glasses this year. Thanks to the job and hobbies, 10-12h daily in front of a computer screen is not uncommon. Do either glasses or contacts (or different types of contacts--I wear RGPs right now) have any advantage in terms of not ruining my eyes, rest breaks aside?

Glasses will ALWAYS be the 'safer' bet, but stick with your RGP's. Get your glasses updated if the Rx is more then 2 Rx's put of date, but stick with the RGP's if they are working great for ya.

The advantage glasses have over contacts when on the computer, is that your eyes wont dry out as fast with glasses. When you stare your blinking rate drops, but its not as much of an issue with RGP's as it is with soft lenses.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Any reason to avoid my local Walmart's optometrist if I'm looking to set up a meeting for contacts? I'm not a big Wallyworld shopper but they were real nice and fixed my glasses on the free when I dun sat on 'em.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Verr posted:

Any reason to avoid my local Walmart's optometrist if I'm looking to set up a meeting for contacts? I'm not a big Wallyworld shopper but they were real nice and fixed my glasses on the free when I dun sat on 'em.

Not at all.

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014
I know I'm not the first one complaining about it, I know there's Google and everything, but 7 hours later (yes, 7 hours; 5 hours the other day, one hour yesterday, and another hour today), not even one contact lens get on my eyeball. I've followed numerous tutorials everywhere and still nothing.
As I am depressive, anything makes my day lovely, so let alone a contact lens who doesn't get in and now I'm really pissed.
It just doesn't want to stick on my eyeball. It's at a point that I could touch my eyeball, slide my finger on it but nope, doesn't want to get on.
Also, is it normal that I think my contact lens is too big? When I look at the mirror it seems bigger than my eye, how the hell can it even get on it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thunderpussy posted:

Glasses will ALWAYS be the 'safer' bet, but stick with your RGP's. Get your glasses updated if the Rx is more then 2 Rx's put of date, but stick with the RGP's if they are working great for ya.

The advantage glasses have over contacts when on the computer, is that your eyes wont dry out as fast with glasses. When you stare your blinking rate drops, but its not as much of an issue with RGP's as it is with soft lenses.

Thanks. My only beef with the RGPs is that I live in Las Vegas, which is Dry As HellŪ, usually resulting in a bit of eye-rubbing as the day wears on if I'm wearing contacts. That's what's making it hard to decide right now :(

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Knight Corgi posted:

I know I'm not the first one complaining about it, I know there's Google and everything, but 7 hours later (yes, 7 hours; 5 hours the other day, one hour yesterday, and another hour today), not even one contact lens get on my eyeball. I've followed numerous tutorials everywhere and still nothing.
As I am depressive, anything makes my day lovely, so let alone a contact lens who doesn't get in and now I'm really pissed.
It just doesn't want to stick on my eyeball. It's at a point that I could touch my eyeball, slide my finger on it but nope, doesn't want to get on.
Also, is it normal that I think my contact lens is too big? When I look at the mirror it seems bigger than my eye, how the hell can it even get on it.

Your finger is too wet and your eye isn't wet enough, in my experience contacts like to stick to whatever's wetter... try putting drops in your eyes and making sure your finger's fairly dry in comparison, then hold your eye open with two fingers so it can't close even if you wanted to, relax and then try again

I kind of make sure to hold the contact really tight and sort of flick the solution off a little, transfer it to my other dry hand so the outside bit gets some of the moisture off, dab at the finger that I'm going to use to hold the contact with a new clean paper towel, put the lens back on that finger and do it

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 16, 2014

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Knight Corgi posted:

Take your lenses back to your contact lens fitter and ask for help. It'd much, much easier to do when you have some coaching.
try not to get too frustrated. it's a skill, like riding a bike. it'll come to you.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I have completely lost my old glasses prescription and then came to the realization that I should probably just get a new eye exam done. I found a place nearby that will do a "buy two pairs of glasses and get a free eye exam for $70" which I'm considering just doing since I have no idea what is up with my insurance. Only issue is that the advertisement says "2 single vision plastic lenses". I have no idea what that means. Are all glasses actually plastic lenses?

And another question, does paying for the no scratch lenses thing work? My glasses are kind of scuffed up from me putting them down on my desk and stuff like that. Would the no scratch stuff prevent it completely or just make it take longer to be apparent?

I'm so glad this thread exists.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

GenericGirlName posted:

I have completely lost my old glasses prescription and then came to the realization that I should probably just get a new eye exam done. I found a place nearby that will do a "buy two pairs of glasses and get a free eye exam for $70" which I'm considering just doing since I have no idea what is up with my insurance. Only issue is that the advertisement says "2 single vision plastic lenses". I have no idea what that means. Are all glasses actually plastic lenses?

And another question, does paying for the no scratch lenses thing work? My glasses are kind of scuffed up from me putting them down on my desk and stuff like that. Would the no scratch stuff prevent it completely or just make it take longer to be apparent?

At your second question, its merely a deterrent. It'll eventually wear down over time, but they do actually give the glasses a good amount of protection for at least a few months.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The scratch protection from my local is a lifetime guarantee. Been a money saver on my kid's glasses.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

wormil posted:

The scratch protection from my local is a lifetime guarantee. Been a money saver on my kid's glasses.

Doesn't that usually mean that they will apply a new coating free of charge? Unless they've drastically improved the process, I distinctly remember my glasses from 5 years ago losing the protection after half a year

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

GenericGirlName posted:

Glad the thread is a help!

Plastic is the "basic" material that lenses are made of. 8/10 people get along just fine with it.

Depending on the company, the scratch coating is also what gives you a warranty. Ask what their policy is and go from there.

The coating DOES help protect against scratches, but not a whole hell of a lot.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I've worn hard contacts for over half my life. The optician tells me every year "Well, I cleaned them and you'll be good for another year, but next year you'll definitely need new ones". This has happened for three years in a row now, I think this pair is about eight years old. Apparently they're supposed to last about 4-5 years. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I've had issues with my contacts at work, doing screen work, especially in the winter. My eyes would get irritated and the lenses wouldn't fit properly anymore because my eyes bloated ever so slightly from the irritation. This caused a viscious cycle where the contacts fit badly and irritated my eyes some more. Fixed it by wearing glasses for a few days.

Ever since we got a humidifier that's problem's gone away.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Stick Insect posted:

I've worn hard contacts for over half my life. The optician tells me every year "Well, I cleaned them and you'll be good for another year, but next year you'll definitely need new ones". This has happened for three years in a row now, I think this pair is about eight years old. Apparently they're supposed to last about 4-5 years. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I've had issues with my contacts at work, doing screen work, especially in the winter. My eyes would get irritated and the lenses wouldn't fit properly anymore because my eyes bloated ever so slightly from the irritation. This caused a viscious cycle where the contacts fit badly and irritated my eyes some more. Fixed it by wearing glasses for a few days.

Ever since we got a humidifier that's problem's gone away.

You must take extra good care of your lenses. It's not entirely uncommon for RGP's to last 10 years. If your RX doesnt change, then keep 'em!

Likely your eyes were dry, and your body was compensating for that. Good move of the humidifier!

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Having my first eye exam tomorrow in 20 years. Anything I should do in preparation?

If they dilate my eyes, how long will it take to fix?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Thunderpussy posted:

If your RX doesnt change, then keep 'em!
Curiously, I started wearing contacts because my nearsightedness kept getting worse.

At first I didn't know I was nearsighted, I just thought the kids in the back of the classroom could write really fast or just didn't care, because I could only just read the blackboard from the front row. I also had frequent migraine headaches, and kept moving closer to the TV once I could read the subtitles. My parents quickly figured it out because everyone in our family wears glasses, I got my first pair when I was about six or seven years old. Then every year after that I had to get new glasses as my eyesight got worse. The first pair was about -3. They really helped reduce the migraines too!

The optician said that there was no definite proof yet, but that for some people their eyesight more or less stabilized when they switched to contacts. I figured it couldn't hurt to try, but it didn't really help in the end. It just stopped at about -11 once I finished puberty. Oddly, the contacts I wear are at -9, not -11, it has to do with the fact they sit right on top of my eyes with no space in between. The migraines have almost completely dissapeared too.

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 4, 2014

Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.
I used to wear soft contacts in high school. I also used to keep them in when I would sleep. I guess I didn't want to take them time to take them out and put them in. The problem was that when I got to college I noticed that my eyes were hurting when I was wearing the contacts. So, I stopped using them and started wearing my glasses again. About 2-3 years later I decided I wanted contacts again. So, I made an appointment and told the optician what made me stop wearing the contacts. I was given some to try but the same thing happened. My eyes would just hurt when I had them in. I tried a couple different brands, but nothing helped. I need to go and get my eyes checked and I would like to get contacts again. Any ideas on what would cause this to happen? I did try using eye drops when they started to hurt but that didn't help.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

photomikey posted:

Having my first eye exam tomorrow in 20 years. Anything I should do in preparation?

If they dilate my eyes, how long will it take to fix?

Preparation? get a good nights sleep.

They will be dialated from 1-3 hours.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Gatla posted:

I used to wear soft contacts in high school. I also used to keep them in when I would sleep. I guess I didn't want to take them time to take them out and put them in. The problem was that when I got to college I noticed that my eyes were hurting when I was wearing the contacts. So, I stopped using them and started wearing my glasses again. About 2-3 years later I decided I wanted contacts again. So, I made an appointment and told the optician what made me stop wearing the contacts. I was given some to try but the same thing happened. My eyes would just hurt when I had them in. I tried a couple different brands, but nothing helped. I need to go and get my eyes checked and I would like to get contacts again. Any ideas on what would cause this to happen? I did try using eye drops when they started to hurt but that didn't help.

Your improper wearing of the lenses in HS is most certainly what has caused it, and damage has likely been done.

Ask your doc what he would recommend. It may be entirely possible that contacts are no longer a safe option for you. Without seeing the condition of your eyes this is very hard to judge....but be prepared for bad news.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Stick Insect posted:

Curiously, I started wearing contacts because my nearsightedness kept getting worse.

At first I didn't know I was nearsighted, I just thought the kids in the back of the classroom could write really fast or just didn't care, because I could only just read the blackboard from the front row. I also had frequent migraine headaches, and kept moving closer to the TV once I could read the subtitles. My parents quickly figured it out because everyone in our family wears glasses, I got my first pair when I was about six or seven years old. Then every year after that I had to get new glasses as my eyesight got worse. The first pair was about -3. They really helped reduce the migraines too!

The optician said that there was no definite proof yet, but that for some people their eyesight more or less stabilized when they switched to contacts. I figured it couldn't hurt to try, but it didn't really help in the end. It just stopped at about -11 once I finished puberty. Oddly, the contacts I wear are at -9, not -11, it has to do with the fact they sit right on top of my eyes with no space in between. The migraines have almost completely dissapeared too.

This is a common GOOD side effect of contact lens wearing, and happen in almost all cases when someone has such a strong Rx.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

pandaK posted:

Doesn't that usually mean that they will apply a new coating free of charge? Unless they've drastically improved the process, I distinctly remember my glasses from 5 years ago losing the protection after half a year

Here they replace the lenses, Crysal is the brand name, or something like that.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The air puff in the eye thing - is that rejected from interrogations by the Geneva Convention, and we can only use it domestically now? What the actual gently caress?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Thunderpussy posted:

Glad the thread is a help!

Plastic is the "basic" material that lenses are made of. 8/10 people get along just fine with it.

Depending on the company, the scratch coating is also what gives you a warranty. Ask what their policy is and go from there.

The coating DOES help protect against scratches, but not a whole hell of a lot.

thanks for the clarification! I did not expect them to be made of plastic, haha. So the glasses I'm wearing right now are probably plastic too since they are cheap.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

photomikey posted:

The air puff in the eye thing - is that rejected from interrogations by the Geneva Convention, and we can only use it domestically now? What the actual gently caress?

That machine is one of my greatest fears. It's up there with Ferris wheels and the nebulous abyss of the future. I have no problems popping contact lenses in and out, with or without a mirror, but try to blow a puff of air into my eye? I completely lose it.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

photomikey posted:

It's used to test your intra-ocular pressure.

the alternate way to measure that is much, much worse.

The air test is called a 'puff-tonometer' test.

The regular 'tonometer' is scary.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My doctor just taps a device against my eye. It's tough not to blink but it's only uncomfortable for a second. Reading up on the puff method-- yeah, that sounds like torture, pretty much. Although not as scary as the "applanation" method, which is what I'm thinking Thunderpussy is talking about. :psypop:

(The hardest part with the pen thingie is not letting my bloodpressure skyrocket because OH NO UNCONTROLLED THING COMING AT MY EYE.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perfektrtw
Sep 13, 2004
This is strange. I'm 29 years old now and it's been about 3 1/2 years since my last eye exam, where I got a really weak prescription for mostly astigmatism. OD +0.25 -0.50 and OS plano -0.50. Even though they are mostly clear glass I guess, I found them quite helpful being on the computer most of the day. I decided to get my eyes checked again at one place and was given a new prescription of OD +0.50 -0.50 and OS +0.25 -0.75. I was told I was 20/40 without correction. I wasn't feeling the optometrist herself though who wouldn't answer my questions so I decided to get a second exam. The very next day, I went for the second exam. This second place was more old-school, but I sure liked everyone much better there. This time I got OD plano -0.50 OS -0.25 -0.50, and was told I was 20/30. Either way I see my eyes barely changed, but what's up with that major discrepancy between the two prescriptions and what the heck does that mean! If I were to buy a new pair (which I'm sure everyone will say not to), I would have no idea which prescription to go with. I am so tempted to get a 3rd exam now even though I am sure spending a lot of money for prescriptions that are basically clear glass.

• Locked thread