Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Frinkahedron posted:

I know two people who did/are doing the ME+EE route. The guy who finished his did it in 4 years and had a large amount of job offers before graduation. The other is probably going to continue onto grad school. Both double majored, didn't do a minor.

Definitely possible to do in four years if you come in with a lot of AP credit and know exactly what you want to do, and are willing to work like a dog. But for the average bear, it's pretty difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Ingenium posted:

Ugh, I am really torn here. I am rounding down my third year in ME and I have started to look longingly over at Cpt S, due to the high quality of the jobs software engineers have. The problem I have is I don't know if I would be happy as a programmer, OR a ME. After this long I would think I would have learned, but having never been into cars and hands on work I haven't experienced much things mechanical, and I have done little to no programming. In fact the classes I can say I really enjoyed was more mathematical analysis like dynamics/dynamic systems. Would it be worth it to switch over a little blind; or if I stuck with the ME major and worked on a Cpt S minor and got a good background in programming? I am assuming a ME that can program would probably be more useful than a Software Engineer that knows how to deal with energy and mechanical systems.

When I was in school for my ME I decided I wanted to double major in software. I'd programmed some basic stuff here and there so I thought I'd be good at it and it'd make me more marketable. I took one C++ class as an elective and I almost failed it. In fact, the only lesson I learned from that class was that I absolutely suck at programming and also hate it.

Definitely find out if you like it before you commit.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

timtastic posted:

That's assuming you could minor in EE. You'd probably have to double major. I don't imagine there is a lot of overlapping classes between ME and EE, so I hope you like the 5/6 year plus plan.
My school offered a hybrid major (on an honors-only basis) that is a combination of electrical and mechanical, with bits of aerospace, nuclear, and computer engineering thrown in for good measure. Students chose electives from all the engineering disciplines to define their focus, and had to do research and write/defend a BS thesis to graduate. IMHO, it's a really good program. Didn't go into the weeds as much as a pure ME or EE program does, but the multidisciplinary skills are just gold.

grover fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 31, 2011

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

grover posted:

My school offered a hybrid major (on an honors-only basis) that is a combination of electrical and mechanical, with bits of aerospace, nuclear, and computer engineering thrown in for good measure. Students chose electives from all the engineering disciplines to define their focus, and had to do research and write/defend a BS thesis to graduate. IMHO, it's a really good program. Didn't go into the weeds as much as a pure ME or EE program does, but the multidisciplinary skills are just gold.

Lord I wish UNL offered a program like this. I would be all over it like white on rice. Double-majoring in EE and ME sounds awesome, but sounds like a hell of a lot of work. I think I will be fine with just ME though.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
would you have to do two separate senior design projects or just one that combined ME and EE elements?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

dxt posted:

would you have to do two separate senior design projects or just one that combined ME and EE elements?
No, just one per student, and it was actual "thesis" work, albeit a step down from MS thesis work. It's often in a multidisciplinary field, but doesn't have to be. The research topics are mostly proposed by the various professors in the dept to be similar to existing research done by grad students; each undergrad is paired with a grad student mentor who helps with the research.

Edit: they weren't design projects, they were senior thesis.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 1, 2011

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005
All people hope Islam helps everything in life. Islam will make jobs. Islam will make freedom. Islam will make everything
Having somebody outside of your discipline would certainly allow you to make more interesting design projects. A group full of aerospace engineers really limits the electrical elements you can add to your project, for example. Come to think of it, I don't know why they don't coordinate majors to allow this.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
VT's mining department has a collaboration with Aero to create a lunar digging machine. Its pretty cool. :cool:

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005
All people hope Islam helps everything in life. Islam will make jobs. Islam will make freedom. Islam will make everything
When our class (aerospace engineers) was doing design projects, we had some awesome ideas, but we were usually limited to designing the orbital mechanics and some aerodynamics. When it came down to whatever hardware we wanted to actually use in our project, we either had to choose some off-the-shelf hardware or just black box it ("mechanical engineer's contribution goes here").

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
What's the engineering market like in NYC?

I've lived in the craptacular south for long enough. I finally had something catch my eye and make me want it for the first time in years. I'm assuming COLA is a given for people working in the big apple, but honestly "just" normal starting wages are enough to live in Queens, right?

I'm currently on an Enviro/Civil path, depending on what University I get into. Would I be better off getting a Master's first or just going there with a Bachelor's?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

timtastic posted:

When our class (aerospace engineers) was doing design projects, we had some awesome ideas, but we were usually limited to designing the orbital mechanics and some aerodynamics. When it came down to whatever hardware we wanted to actually use in our project, we either had to choose some off-the-shelf hardware or just black box it ("mechanical engineer's contribution goes here").

Is this due to budget or time or restrictions or something? All 9 of the teams in my Aerospace class built (and tested) working examples of their designs (and we all met our requirements, because we were all awesome). Don't know the budget of the Aero (plane-building) teams, but the Space teams ended up getting about $1,500 a piece, and none of us even came close to spending that much.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I've lived in the craptacular south for long enough.

This except substitute LA for NYC and you've got my situation. (I don't want to live in the south, but I don't want to go northward (and colder) to get out, which basically means southern California.)

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 1, 2011

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005
We did two semesters for our design class (and two different projects). In the first semester we had a budget of $500 and needed to produce a prototype (and the money for the prototype came from entering a student design competition). In the second semester we could go hog wild, but didn't have any money to make anything.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 10, 2023

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I just edited my post; we didn't do a senior design project in my school, we did actual masters thesis-type research, albeit on a BS level (1 year of research vice 2-3). I did characterization of thin-film silicon-nitrides on polysilicon samples, which was the first step towards fabrication of an electrostatically stable MEMS microrotor I'd designed, but proved to be a little too ambitious for an undergrad thesis and I ran out of time.

The thesis work was only for this one particular multidisciplinary major, EE and ME didn't do them. We all did do design projects for various other classes, though. My favorite was a blood-powered turbine generator for running pacemakers :D We decided at the end that it would probably be instantly clogged by platelets and a sort of kinetic power supply that charged from the movement of the recipient would be better.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 1, 2011

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005

Thoguh posted:

While there are some limits, did you guys not do anything other than the aerodynamics?

Was your program more astro based, leaving you with less time for EE and ME type classes in the core curriculum?

We only had a couple of classes of EE (learning how to write circuit equations and find voltages anywhere in the circuit, up to using oscilloscopes in a circuit) and plenty of ME stuff too. I think the reason our second semester design class had so much black-boxed stuff was because they didn't really put any restrictions on us.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I got a call yesterday from one of the places I applied to for a summer internship. I only talked with her for a few minutes on the phone but she seemed very eager to just send over my info to HR to hire me on. I opted to go in on Monday and take a tour of the facility and meet the people I would be working with first though.

Should I be worried?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

A Jew in Manhattan posted:

I got a call yesterday from one of the places I applied to for a summer internship. I only talked with her for a few minutes on the phone but she seemed very eager to just send over my info to HR to hire me on. I opted to go in on Monday and take a tour of the facility and meet the people I would be working with first though.

Should I be worried?

Opting to go in for an for a tour puts you above the guys that didn't. Try and get on with the guys that you might be working with, as they will no doubt be asked their opinion of guys at the end of the tour.

Worried? No, just make sure you know what kind of facility it is your going in to see, and try and have a basic idea of what it does. So if you do get asked any questions you might have a better chance of answering.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Oodles posted:

Opting to go in for an for a tour puts you above the guys that didn't. Try and get on with the guys that you might be working with, as they will no doubt be asked their opinion of guys at the end of the tour.

Worried? No, just make sure you know what kind of facility it is your going in to see, and try and have a basic idea of what it does. So if you do get asked any questions you might have a better chance of answering.
Right, I know that much already. I meant that it seemed really weird that this person was trying to hire me without any real interview process.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Also, tours are always cool, even if you don't get the job :rock:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 10, 2023

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I've lived in the craptacular south for long enough. I finally had something catch my eye and make me want it for the first time in years. I'm assuming COLA is a given for people working in the big apple, but honestly "just" normal starting wages are enough to live in Queens, right?

I'm currently on an Enviro/Civil path, depending on what University I get into. Would I be better off getting a Master's first or just going there with a Bachelor's?

There aren't many big engineering companies in the five boroughs, but there is some cool engineering going on in NYC. http://blog.dansteingart.com/post/3513191423/an-open-letter-to-nyc-media Then there are big operations like IBM in Yorktown Heights, Brookhaven National Labs in Long Island, and many more in the tri-state area.

If you want to work in NYC after graduation you should start making contacts now. Try applying for internships or REUs in or near NYC. Engineers tend to overlook REUs, but they're not just for hard science majors. http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=5517&from=fund

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

A Jew in Manhattan posted:

Right, I know that much already. I meant that it seemed really weird that this person was trying to hire me without any real interview process.

I wouldn't look too much into it; you're going to be an intern, not a salaried engineer so if you can take direction and are willing to learn, you are qualified.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

SeaBass posted:

I wouldn't look too much into it; you're going to be an intern, not a salaried engineer so if you can take direction and are willing to learn, you are qualified.

When I interned with Honeywell the interview process consisted of, "You want to be an intern?".

I wouldn't worry about intern level interviews.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Is anyone here a software engineer in the valley?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I assume you mean silicon valley. I'm an engineer here but not a software engineer...

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Note: I am feeling pretty pessimistic and it's going to show in this post.

Is there any point in going to university to do a BE(Hons) in Electrical Engineering when:
  • The only jobs I have had are "under the table" manual labour ones. Building, construction, excavation. a.k.a. no relevant experience, well ... NO job experience.
  • I don't know if 23 is considered as "old" ... but I'll most likely still be living at home with my parents to save cash, etc. Will most likely move out at some stage.
  • I have little to no exposure to calculus/physics, so will be doing some introductory courses prior to the actual degree. I don't mind doing this.
  • The economy is horrible in New Zealand and I'm having a lot of difficulty finding any work.

I don't mind questions about my situation as it would help me decide.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Why do you want to be an engineer?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
People have done awesome things with even worse starts than that.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Lord Gaga posted:

Why do you want to be an engineer?

I did a pre-trade course for electricians last year and I wasn't satisfied (read: enjoyed learning about it too much) with what I learnt. I want to learn more about electricity and electronics, and a couple of instructors at that course commented that I should be at university instead of doing that course.

I also know that if I decide not to do this, I'll regret it later.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Do it and if you can't get a job do what every single other Kiwi does and move over here where there's engineering jobs galore. NZ's current economy isn't a problem when you can so easily get a visa here (especially as an engineer) and it's $150-$200 for a flight.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Odette posted:

I also know that if I decide not to do this, I'll regret it later.

you should probably give it a shot then.

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Odette posted:

Note: I am feeling pretty pessimistic and it's going to show in this post.

Is there any point in going to university to do a BE(Hons) in Electrical Engineering when:
  • The only jobs I have had are "under the table" manual labour ones. Building, construction, excavation. a.k.a. no relevant experience, well ... NO job experience.
  • I don't know if 23 is considered as "old" ... but I'll most likely still be living at home with my parents to save cash, etc. Will most likely move out at some stage.
  • I have little to no exposure to calculus/physics, so will be doing some introductory courses prior to the actual degree. I don't mind doing this.
  • The economy is horrible in New Zealand and I'm having a lot of difficulty finding any work.

I don't mind questions about my situation as it would help me decide.

When I started the engineering program at my university, it had been six years since I'd taken a math or physics class. I never had any trigonometry and the highest math I completed was Algebra II in high school with a C. I took a pre-calculus class to get up to speed and was on the same level as everyone else from there; at this point I've got three quarters worth of Calculus completed. I also came in when I was 23.

Age and background knowledge aren't that big of a deal. If you aren't 100% sure you're prepared for a class then take one that will bring you up to speed.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Odette posted:

[*]I don't know if 23 is considered as "old" ... but I'll most likely still be living at home with my parents to save cash, etc. Will most likely move out at some stage.

Your social life might suffer a bit (what engineering social life :smug:) being a commuter, but more importantly you're going into college with far more maturity than the rest of your peers, which will help you considerably. You'll have the discipline and work ethic to get your work done and master the material.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

movax posted:

you're going into college with far more maturity than the rest of your peers, which will help you considerably. You'll have the discipline and work ethic to get your work done and master the material.

This.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Thanks for the reassuring replies so far, guys and girls. It's been helpful.

Regarding a social life, I post on these forums, so I think it's fair to assume I don't have one in the first place. :unsmith:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
If it makes you feel better I will be 26 when I start school for the 2nd time this fall.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

movax posted:

Your social life might suffer a bit (what engineering social life :smug:)

I never got this. Maybe you Americans are different (maybe it's to do with the 18 vs 21 thing) but here, the engineers are the biggest drinkers and always live in the pub. I spent so much time there during Uni it was criminal. We're also the guys constantly having 'social club events' (uni-funded pissups) under the guise of Uni rugby teams, etc., not to mention all the 'industry networking evenings' (industry-funded pissups). Study was relegated to a distant annoyance that had to be just barely satisfied for about 95% of us.

Engineers have the best social life. :smug:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 10, 2023

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.

Nam Taf posted:

Study was relegated to a distant annoyance that had to be just barely satisfied for about 95% of us.

Yeah I don't know what engineering school is like in your country, but this got you a D, max in the US. Most would (and do) fail out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Nam Taf posted:

I never got this. Maybe you Americans are different (maybe it's to do with the 18 vs 21 thing) but here, the engineers are the biggest drinkers and always live in the pub. I spent so much time there during Uni it was criminal. We're also the guys constantly having 'social club events' (uni-funded pissups) under the guise of Uni rugby teams, etc., not to mention all the 'industry networking evenings' (industry-funded pissups). Study was relegated to a distant annoyance that had to be just barely satisfied for about 95% of us.

Engineers have the best social life. :smug:

We had a guy in my class from France who'd already gotten his Bachelor's in Engineering back home. He had to completely redo his degree here because no American companies would accept his education.

Now I know why. :colbert:

I did less homework than anybody in my class and came out with about a B- average, but I happen to be really, really good at the math involved in engineering to the point that I was tutoring my fellow students on the side (people freaked out when I told them that I did all of our Dynamics and Controls work on paper instead of Mathcad like the teacher suggested). I still only got to drink one or two nights a week.