Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I know he did by the combat command set but he's got loads of bases of infantry so he must have bought extras.
As to CinC and GHQ - there's no real rhyme or reason to it other than when and where I bought them. Both sit together scale wise fine but CinC often work out cheaper as they are usually sold in packs of 3 whereas GHQ are in 5 packs and seeing as for most armies a company works out at 3 units it's more cost effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

I base mine first, but I've been told that using coffee stirrers or similar sticks to glue them to helps, but I can see it being difficult to get them off. Plus the effort of applying basing material after painting without getting it on the mini seems excessive.

I like old-school clothespins for painting. For small figures with decent size cast bases (i.e., a healthy footprint), you can use rubber cement to fasten them to the top of the pin. Where the figure is cast with a small base (looking at you, Essex) or is heavier (e.g., mounted) use dab of white glue and place a drop of super glue on that. The mixture tacks up quickly to hold the figure to the pin, but is brittle enough to make removal for basing pretty easy with an exacto knife.

HTH

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Uggh...I think black is a better primer for my US infantry than grey. The little hard-to-reach areas that get missed show up really brightly with the grey. I think with black they would be less noticeable. Also, my painting skills aren't very good yet.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

First 2 stands of Britons completed- Im fairly happy with them, a little rough and ready and they look beter in the flesh than in the pic (thats the story I am sticking too anyway!). They arent as well paitned as my Romans, but I would og insane trying to paint the amount of these little biggers (around 1500 of them) to the same level of detail as my legion.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
In Force on Force, the rules often say a unit can only do something if its within X inches. But since there's no default scale, X inches means different things to a 1/285th mini vs a 28mm one. Anyone know how to resolve this?

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
NZ Rifle platoon in Italy 1944:

Using Battlefront Commonwealth Rifle platoon, they are advancing through a walled orchard.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

LintMan posted:

Using Battlefront Commonwealth Rifle platoon, they are advancing through a walled orchard.

Wow man, really impressive. Speaking of WW2 I went ahead and ordered Blitzkreig commander and since I discovered GHQ has a huge WW2 6mm line I am not sure if I am going to be playing it in 10mm.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The GHQ 6mm WW2 line is very nice- lots of choice there. I know lots of people who do it in 6mm. Make sure you join up to the BKC forum- very friendly place with lots of good advice and ideas.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Oxford Comma posted:

In Force on Force, the rules often say a unit can only do something if its within X inches. But since there's no default scale, X inches means different things to a 1/285th mini vs a 28mm one. Anyone know how to resolve this?

Give me a page reference here as I am struggling.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
Just ordered some 6mm GHQ WW2 and modern samples as well as some Pendraken 10mm WW2 Russians. Apparently thewarstore keeps a small amount of pendraken stocked over here in the USA and orders from them twice a month so busting out into 10mm using them just became viable.

Also found this weird magnifying glass, clamp combo thing and painting small details just got lots easier, which should help with these tiny tiny pewter mans.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Im not being funny, but I see this a lot. Why is it not viable to order from Pendraken directly?

They take Paypal, will get an order to you within a week of casting (even to the US) and have some of the best customer service ever.
X gun comes with crew in Y uniform variant? EMail them and ask for Z uniform variant and they will do it. Want Pz3N body with a Pz3L turret, no probs. Shipping isnt extortionate either. Granted some shops have stupid postage costs but they have those for internal post as well as international, so avoid them.

We do have postal services in countries outside of the US you know! Americans seem totally adverse to buying outside of the US. I have no problem buying stuff from the US.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 18, 2011

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Serotonin posted:

Im not being funny, but I see this a lot. Why is it not viable to order from Pendraken directly?

They take Paypal, will get an order to you within a week of casting (even to the US) and have some of the best customer service ever.
X gun comes with crew in Y uniform variant? EMail them and ask for Z uniform variant and they will do it. Want Pz3N body with a Pz3L turret, no probs. Shipping isnt extortionate either. Granted some shops have stupid postage costs but they have those for internal post as well as international, so avoid them.

We do have postal services in countries outside of the US you know! Americans seem totally adverse to buying outside of the US. I have no problem buying stuff from the US.
Not sure if I am going 10mm or 6mm for my WW2 fix and thewarstore had the models I wanted to see in 10mm, infantry and T34s currently stocked so I would not have to fiddle with exchange rates and over seas shipping. Judging by how the warstore handles ordering and stocking Pendrakken miniatures however if I do decide to commit to 10mm ordering directly from Pendrakken would be more viable yes. Relax. Not against ordering from outside the US but in this case it was more viable to not do so.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

No worries, its just a phenomena I have seen countless times over the years, and it had me puzzled.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Serotonin posted:

No worries, its just a phenomena I have seen countless times over the years, and it had me puzzled.

Beats me, I see people all the time who simply won't order from a company from "the wrong side of the pond", no matter if they are American or British. No local reseller? Expect dozens of whining people on TMP. Funnily enough, very few of us outside those two countries seem to care and are more likely to order directly from the company, possibly because we're already used to the idea of nothing being available locally. This also seems to be true for companies in Italy and Spain as well, as Ango-Saxons seem to balk at the very thought of ordering directly from them. I'm as baffled as you are, since it is so far from how I buy my miniatures.

As you mention, most of these companies have excellent customer support if you deal with them directly. One example is Baccus, where Peter has always been happy to oblige me when I ask for a different number of command stands per bag of infantry etc.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

As you mention, most of these companies have excellent customer support if you deal with them directly. One example is Baccus, where Peter has always been happy to oblige me when I ask for a different number of command stands per bag of infantry etc.

Oh man I forgot about Pete in my bigging up of Dave and leon at Pendraken. Yeah Pete is another one of the good guys. You want a bag of 50 infantry strips and every 3rd one being a command strip- no problem. Napoleonic cannons crewed by Romans- again no problem you weirdo!

Up to my elbows in Baccus Celts and sand right now. At least this prebasing effort means I can get them on the table in just an undercoated state to have some play tests with the forces.

Its weird how I have completely different techniques for different scales. All my 10mm stuff is prebased, undercoated brown and then wetvrushed and drybrushed up, whereas all my 6mm so far has been painted on coffee stirrers before basing, is undercoated black and carefully painted with no drybrushing or wetbrushing at all. Its weird to be doing these 6mm Celts in the same manner Im doing my 10mm.

Logic would dictate that surely the quick wetbrush and dry brush technique would be how I paint my 6mm not my 10mm. But Im odd like that!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

LintMan posted:

Simply amazing!

How does it work rules-wise, since the cover moves with your guys?

Serotonin posted:

I've ordered direct and you're right, they're wonderful.

lilljonas posted:

Beats me, I see people all the time who simply won't order from a company from "the wrong side of the pond", no matter if they are American or British. No local reseller? Expect dozens of whining people on TMP.

The only reason I wouldn't buy from overseas is shipping costs. As long as those aren't insane, I have no problem with it (and in fact I often have no choice).

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

Colonial Air Force posted:

Simply amazing!

How does it work rules-wise, since the cover moves with your guys?

Just the same as a normal platoon. The walls and trees are just there to look pretty.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Serotonin posted:

Give me a page reference here as I am struggling.

On page 22, for example: "No Hot Spot may be placed within 6" of another."

Is this six inches at 15mm scale or a different scale?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Oxford Comma posted:

On page 22, for example: "No Hot Spot may be placed within 6" of another."

Is this six inches at 15mm scale or a different scale?

15mm. Its the default scale for the rules. They suggest doubling the ranges for scales bigger than 15mm.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Lintman, I love the job you did on your Kiwis, but why does one of the machine-gunners have an MG 42? I mean, the MP-40s that a some of them have are one thing, but was it common for NZ or commonwealth units to use captured MGs? Didn't mean to sperg at you, just curious, and once again you did a fantastic job on them.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
They "acquired" it. There is numerous accounts of Kiwis using captured equipment. SMGs were top of the list for its usefulness but we would use anything we could find.

There is a pretty famous account of New Zealanders getting a hold of a 20mm aircraft cannon from a downed aircraft and mounting it on a universal carrier. To fire it they wired up a spare battery from the radio. They kept it till they couldn't find ammo for it.

In short we used whatever we could get our hands on.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

LintMan posted:

They "acquired" it. There is numerous accounts of Kiwis using captured equipment. SMGs were top of the list for its usefulness but we would use anything we could find.

There is a pretty famous account of New Zealanders getting a hold of a 20mm aircraft cannon from a downed aircraft and mounting it on a universal carrier. To fire it they wired up a spare battery from the radio. They kept it till they couldn't find ammo for it.

In short we used whatever we could get our hands on.

Gotcha. That's pretty cool that you actually took that into account when you modeled them. There are probably a lot of people who don't look past the T/OE when they do stuff like this. Also, you realize that you have to make that Universal Carrier now, right?

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Anyone tried Force on Force? I have the old Ambush Alley rules, and have ordered the new book, but was just wondering how it plays.

Now I am looking for 1/72 scale vehicles to use as technicals to mount DshK and .50 heavy machine-guns on for the upcoming Day of the Rangers re-release. Anyone have some good suggestions for vehicles?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

The Dark Project posted:

Anyone tried Force on Force? I have the old Ambush Alley rules, and have ordered the new book, but was just wondering how it plays.

Now I am looking for 1/72 scale vehicles to use as technicals to mount DshK and .50 heavy machine-guns on for the upcoming Day of the Rangers re-release. Anyone have some good suggestions for vehicles?

I just finished reading the rules last night. It looks really awesome. I like that its not a "you move then I move" kind of game. Instead, you move, and my unit that saw you move can take a shot at you! But your unit on Overwatch that spied my unit react can fire upon it. Plus the Fog of War cards are really interesting.

I can see this rule set being used for WW2 just as easily as modern, as well.

Oxford Comma fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 19, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Oxford Comma posted:

I just finished reading the rules last night. It looks really awesome. I like that its not a "you move then I move" kind of game. Instead, you move, and my unit that saw you move can take a shot at you! But your unit on Overwatch that spied my unit react can fire upon it. Plus the Fog of War cards are really interesting.

I can see this rule set being used for WW2 just as easily as modern, as well.

It's pretty cool with sci-fi too, I can't wait for Tomorrow's War to come out.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

Likewise. I think Ambush Alley also has rules for Zombies, if that's your thing. I was spying some of my son's dinosaur toys and thought those would make an interesting game: Marines v Dinosaurs!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Already been done.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Already been done.

Awesome. Now I gotta figure out what scale I want to use for my modern minis and start getting them.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oxford Comma posted:

Likewise. I think Ambush Alley also has rules for Zombies, if that's your thing. I was spying some of my son's dinosaur toys and thought those would make an interesting game: Marines v Dinosaurs!

Ambush Z is pretty amazing.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

Ive got it already!
Its pretty good.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Serotonin posted:

Ive got it already!
Its pretty good.

Can you give a quick summary/review of it?

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
@Oxford Comma
If you're looking for a cheap way to get into FoW I would say just go with the Command Decision stuff from Old Glory, the line is quite extensive and you can get it for 40% off, meaning you're paying roughly 1/3 the cost of BF stuff for figures that are quite good. I've had very good luck with https://www.warweb.com their stuff is 40% but the shipping is often fairly slow compared to some place like https://www.thewarstore.com

If you want any advice on playing Americans let me know.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Ambush Z is pretty amazing.

Is Ambush Z still available now that Force on Force is out?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No Pun Intended posted:

Is Ambush Z still available now that Force on Force is out?

Yes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Looks like Wargames Illustrated this month is about Saga. Can't wait to ignore more important things in my life to read the article!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I'm almost done with the first platoon of my US Infantry. I think I'm going to pause here and do a Wehrmacht platoon so I can fight them instead of just painting.

Also, I got my replacement StuGs from Battlefront today. On the plus side, they were UPS'ed out the day after I emailed the company. On the downside, they don't include the cannons which are already glued to my defective vehicles. I guess I can pry them out of the miscast StuGs, but it would've been nice if Battlefront had a) included the StuG guns and b) thrown in a little tiny something extra for the bad set, like a page of decals or a sample mini or something. All in all, not the worst customer service but could've been better. Your grade, Battlefront, is a solid B.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oxford Comma posted:

I'm almost done with the first platoon of my US Infantry. I think I'm going to pause here and do a Wehrmacht platoon so I can fight them instead of just painting.

Also, I got my replacement StuGs from Battlefront today. On the plus side, they were UPS'ed out the day after I emailed the company. On the downside, they don't include the cannons which are already glued to my defective vehicles. I guess I can pry them out of the miscast StuGs, but it would've been nice if Battlefront had a) included the StuG guns and b) thrown in a little tiny something extra for the bad set, like a page of decals or a sample mini or something. All in all, not the worst customer service but could've been better. Your grade, Battlefront, is a solid B.

Just use a paperclip.

So for this WI issue, they also have viking games played with Hail Caesar (including a dude in an Amon Amarth t-shirt pushing his vikings with a viking knife). The review for Saga is written by Rick Priestly, who plays in the aforementioned game and of course wrote the rules.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Just use a paperclip.

A paperclip would be way too narrow for a StuG gun.

I'll just take them off the defective StuGs.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Just use a paperclip.

So for this WI issue, they also have viking games played with Hail Caesar (including a dude in an Amon Amarth t-shirt pushing his vikings with a viking knife). The review for Saga is written by Rick Priestly, who plays in the aforementioned game and of course wrote the rules.

Buying that for sure. We played a Vikings VS Anglo Saxon game with Hail Caesar and it was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Oxford Comma posted:

Buy a seperate StuG blister or two for extra guns.