Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

There were a poo poo load of excellent open board jobs in the hall last week and tons of day work so if you want to actually sail you could always head to MEBA.

Can't bitch too much about a permanent even time job with day and a half unlimited assistant sea time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

lightpole posted:

Only problem is UMS requires the USCG to sign off on the automation and they have not done so so I will be spending 8 hours a day doing very little for the next several months.
This might seem like a sentence to months of boredom, but it is not. What you have here is a great opportunity. Months of what you can hope to be steady state operation. This gives you 8hours a day to make sure things keep ticking over, and to learn whatever the hell you want to learn about.
If everything is cracking along fine, and your supervisor isn't too much of a hard rear end, this would be a great chance to do some reading. Or maybe learn a new skill. Practice your welding much lately? How about drawing? If you don't have internet access while on watch, make sure you bring some books about whatever interests you. If the man is getting on your case, bust out some Reed's manuals, or go through the ship's drawings and see if you can find mistakes. It would look good on you if you updated them to whatever the system is like at present. Just a few ideas off the top of my head. It's awesome if you're not overworked, sleep deprived, and/or dangerously hung over on-board. There should be plenty to do and learn if you keep the right attitude, and don't lose your imagination.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So without UMS are you stuck in the control room or something? Where would you normally be while working, I'm kind of confused.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Just have to hang out in the engine room. There's just one engineer on watch and no junior but it's pretty close to being UMS so not much to really freak out about. I usually take care of most maintenance stuff in the morning while everyone is down, do four hours of day work after lunch then in the evening poke around in manuals till I get bored then go to whatever fallback dinking around jobs I've found. That should get me through a month or two before I get really bored. Right now we are coast wise so once we head out and aren't in and out of ports all the time I'm going to have to find some big projects.

I could just sit in the control room and stare at a wall for four hours but I'm saving that for the end of the trip and also for the Red Sea because gently caress that place.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
gently caress me, I'm seriously thinking of going back out.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

gently caress me, I'm seriously thinking of going back out.

Pretty much the worst idea in the history of shipping.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lightpole posted:

Pretty much the worst idea in the history of shipping.

I told him I'm living in a passenger cabin at the moment, haha

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Once in a while I have a bad day at work and I go a bit crazy.

In other news, apparently there's still ice on Lake Superior :stare:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Right now I am basically looking at spending around 4 months straight around Persia in the summer and then getting off and doing another 70 days so I can get my 1sts and then looking to ship on it ASAP. I am still not sure how my life consisted of so many terrible decisions that I have ended up here.

The next chief retired so the returning 1st is going to move up even though he doesn't really want to. The current 1st is getting off since he is getting married the day they want him to come back and there isn't really anyone around to take the job so the 2nd might move to 1st in which case I can move to 2nd. Musical engineers.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 4, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

lightpole posted:

I could just sit in the control room and stare at a wall for four hours but I'm saving that for the end of the trip and also for the Red Sea because gently caress that place.

What do you have against the Red Sea? Other than it being a dead end?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What do you have against the Red Sea? Other than it being a dead end?

Gonna go ahead and guess "Hot as balls".

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Gonna go ahead and guess "Hot as balls".

You can see the future can't you

Seriously, PSD to the Horn and anything near Persia can get hosed. I can live with the Red Sea but the gulf is just inhuman.

Since when is the Red Sea a dead end? That might cause a lot of problems.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

lightpole posted:

You can see the future can't you

Seriously, PSD to the Horn and anything near Persia can get hosed. I can live with the Red Sea but the gulf is just inhuman.

Since when is the Red Sea a dead end? That might cause a lot of problems.

When I think Red Sea I think Gulf of Akaba. I hadn't realized that that's the name for the whole body of water down to Aden, and connecting with the Suez Canal. :doh:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Having just spent a week working in the welldeck of an RFA ship in the CAG, I can agree. gently caress that noise, 125°F heat and 80% humidity, AND no air movement? Sign me the gently caress up.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I passed my Australian Engineer Watchkeepers this week, steam and motor.

If anyone cares here's a few of the slightly more interesting questions I got:

How does having fusible plugs on the receivers affect your fixed fire fighting systems?

What does the emergency switchboard supply. Why does it power the life boat davit?

Explain how we minimize undercooling in the condenser.

Explain the Spill and Make-up valves.

How would you set a safety valve? HP boiler.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The e/gen supplies the lifeboat davit?

Edit: The USCG report on the sinking of the Bounty is up on their website. It contains gems such as:

quote:

This lack of maritime expertise or background with vessel regulations led the organization to manage and operate the vessel in a way that was markedly different from most professional maritime companies

quote:

Engineer [redacted] reported that when he took over his engineering duties in September of 2012 that he could not find any records indicating when fluids had been changed or preventative maintenance performed. He was unsure of how many hours were on the main engine. He also stated that he wanted to spend a week just “cleaning the engine room.”

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 13, 2014

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
That report was painful to read. A bunch of those people are back sailing though, I know one of the "Deckhand [redacted]" who works down here on an OSV.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hahahahahahahahaha. ahahahahahahaha. Holy gently caress.
That Bounty report is something else. "The bilge pumps stopped working because no one filled up the service tank."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hahah, poo poo, they didn't censor the report properly. The names of at least one of the Mates, the Master, and an AB are visible. I emailed the coast guard about it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Two Finger posted:

Hahah, poo poo, they didn't censor the report properly. The names of at least one of the Mates, the Master, and an AB are visible. I emailed the coast guard about it.

There are thousands of pages of uncensored stuff from NTSB anyway, the transcripts and everything. Crew list, interviews with names, the works. Not sure why they censored this really.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6vzsY_nML8

gently caress. That. poo poo.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So I'm on a new ship. It's six days old. Eleven man engine department for now, all stenciling furiously before the tags fall off everything.

New boat smell.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

shovelbum posted:

So I'm on a new ship. It's six days old. Eleven man engine department for now, all stenciling furiously before the tags fall off everything.

New boat smell.

I know that smell well. It gets overwritten be funk pretty quickly in a Navy ship I can only assume it does here as well.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
A nice picture of my ship. This was taken somewhere around Harstad, Norway

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hehehewwwwwww
Nov 24, 2005

attn lightpole and anyone else who knows this kind of stuff

I saw you speaking about Local 39 and the offers they provide to people with experience. Would you recommend just going to school first and getting a mechanical engineering degree, then calling up their dispatch, or just doing their apprenticeship? I just took their apprenticeship test last weekend and think I got at least a 90%. I have heard their training program isn't the best though. I'm wondering now too if I should just spend two years getting a degree and getting a high paying job with them instead of doing the four year apprenticeship. I'm based in the SF bay area and signed up for all of their regions and put my name down for the other positions they offer too (biomedical equipment repair, water and wastewater treatment).

If anyone works as a stationary engineer plz lemme know how you enjoy it, or don't.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Got a call from a headhunter the other day.

:v: "Yeah, so [Friend of FV] recommended you, we've been contracted to fill [a job that's been posted for months]."

:crossarms:"They want an engineer, though, don't they?"

:v:"Yes, and I've been told you have a lot of experience with marine engineering."

:crossarms:"I've got a chief mate's ticket. I'm a mate."

:v:"What's the difference?"

Get in touch with the above-mentioned friend afterward, they're like "Oh, didn't realize they wanted an engineer. You should have given it a shot anyway!" :ughh: Friend is in the marine industry, friend has a ticket, friend should know that people don't hire mates for jobs that have "First class engineer license or bachelor of naval architecture" in the requirements. So should the recruiter, mind you.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 23, 2014

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
So we recently experienced a bad leak in the gray water piping leading out of the galley. The engineers cut into the section to replace it and got doused with a devil's brew of rusty, brackish water and rotted fermented food juice. :itwaspoo:

Further investigation (after they got the poor 3/ae a long shower and some therapy) revealed a 6 foot section of 3" pipe full of packed, rotting food. :stonk: It had backed up enough for standing water to rust entirely through the pipe wall.

The steward department response: "Yeah that drain hasn't worked good for a while... Ever since the macerator broke, really." :downs:

Another anecdote for the "Glad I'm not an engineer" file.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Someone go to the IMO and get BSTR changed to include like three days of toilet and drains familiarization training, please.

Or make it a separate course and make it so passengers have to take it as well.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Someone go to the IMO and get BSTR changed to include like three days of toilet and drains familiarization training, please.

Amen. I'm on a boat that carries 42 regularly and the vacuum system was designed for a fourteen man crew. What a headache for the poor engineers.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Azipod posted:

So we recently experienced a bad leak in the gray water piping leading out of the galley. The engineers cut into the section to replace it and got doused with a devil's brew of rusty, brackish water and rotted fermented food juice. :itwaspoo:

Further investigation (after they got the poor 3/ae a long shower and some therapy) revealed a 6 foot section of 3" pipe full of packed, rotting food. :stonk: It had backed up enough for standing water to rust entirely through the pipe wall.

The steward department response: "Yeah that drain hasn't worked good for a while... Ever since the macerator broke, really." :downs:

Another anecdote for the "Glad I'm not an engineer" file.

Hahaha. Food waste is the worst. Even sewage isn't as bad because it doesn't ooze into your skin the way gray water can and will. Poor guy.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Two Finger posted:

Hahaha. Food waste is the worst. Even sewage isn't as bad because it doesn't ooze into your skin the way gray water can and will. Poor guy.

Hotel stuff is the worst in general because it's the interface between equipment, aesthetics on a budget, and offshore workers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Gray water is the worst fluid on a ship, bar none.

We had a situation where they opened up a GW tank for cleaning and we couldn't use the officer's bar four decks above for like a week because they'd ventilated through the stairwell next to it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Gray water is the worst fluid on a ship, bar none.

We had a situation where they opened up a GW tank for cleaning and we couldn't use the officer's bar four decks above for like a week because they'd ventilated through the stairwell next to it.

Yeah we have to retain it in port since the new boats have tanks for it, not thrilled.

No pity for your bar though, you had a bar.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Dominic R. posted:

attn lightpole and anyone else who knows this kind of stuff

I saw you speaking about Local 39 and the offers they provide to people with experience. Would you recommend just going to school first and getting a mechanical engineering degree, then calling up their dispatch, or just doing their apprenticeship? I just took their apprenticeship test last weekend and think I got at least a 90%. I have heard their training program isn't the best though. I'm wondering now too if I should just spend two years getting a degree and getting a high paying job with them instead of doing the four year apprenticeship. I'm based in the SF bay area and signed up for all of their regions and put my name down for the other positions they offer too (biomedical equipment repair, water and wastewater treatment).

If anyone works as a stationary engineer plz lemme know how you enjoy it, or don't.

Go for the degree so you have more options. It's all about having options. Some places are boring, my brother couldn't mount a TV on a wall without calling in a contractor. Some places are filled with old and ignorant people who call themselves engineers and ate anything but. Some places have their poo poo together and are fun to work for.

Why did you turn down that engineering position, that was dumb. After 3 months in it you could have called yourself an engineer and made bank.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Plenty of stories about engineers stapling tampons to cabin doors in the white boat fleet. Little fuckers were designed to block marine toilets.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Had a USCG CoI today. I get to sit in the control room on watch for all the drills thankfully. Everything went well till the EDG test. The #1 FO circ pump wrecked itself two days ago and the 1st was a little more focused on his relief than it. The #2 is apparently on the emergency bus as found out today when we blacked out the plant. The EDG won't automatically go online unless someone removes and replaces a fuse in its control circuit as well.

USCG was not as amused as I was and said that the #1 FO circ was a no sail item.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Oooooh, the office must have loved that one.

Never got a no sail from a USCG PSC, although I know I guy who had to get a special letter from class because the USCG inspector found out they didn't have a sail one of the lifeboat, and apparently that's a detention item. In 2010 or so.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I just got a swing on a bunker barge as a 3E. It's pretty good. Get to go home every night and get the same pay as the rest of the fleet.

Anyone else on them? It's pretty satisfy doing two million dollars of fuel in one 12 hr shift.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm getting excited about soon learning just what the hell everyone is talking about hahahah. My TWIC is coming in any day now and I'll be going after my MMC soon after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

Had a USCG CoI today. I get to sit in the control room on watch for all the drills thankfully. Everything went well till the EDG test. The #1 FO circ pump wrecked itself two days ago and the 1st was a little more focused on his relief than it. The #2 is apparently on the emergency bus as found out today when we blacked out the plant. The EDG won't automatically go online unless someone removes and replaces a fuse in its control circuit as well.

USCG was not as amused as I was and said that the #1 FO circ was a no sail item.

I had a vessel have it's EDG die during a flag state inspection I was doing once, that day could have been worse. That EDG fuse thing should be a no sail too, I'd think. I've seen them detain for similar issues during port states.

• Locked thread