Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
johnny, why do you hate sex and drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cause i cant afford either :(

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

i think i oversaturated on van vogt

yet again there's a super-smart scientist going down into a loving cave on the moon and i'm just sick of it, idgaf if he finds the germans or not

otoh, it was written in the 40's and it's chock full of stuff you couldn't write anymore like a magic pill women can take to become equivalent to a man
I just read Voyage of the Space Beagle and the main character is also a scientist who's really smart and better than everyone else because he follows some vaguely-defined new science technique.

The book has about the dumbest group of space explorers I've ever seen: they land on a planet and encounter the Coeurl (aka displacer beast for you D&D types), which basically looks like a tiger or other big cat. They have no idea what its intentions are, but they let it on the ship where it wanders around without supervision. Shockingly it starts killing people.

The book is also filled with goofy psychology and anthropology: when another alien that they find floating in space gets aboard and starts attacking people, they start speculating about what level of cultural development it's at, and from that they're actually able to predict what it's going to do. Crazy goofy book.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
who said the last two books of the black company were awesome

because this poo poo starts out slowwwwwwwwwwww

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm reading Scott Westerfeld's "Risen Empire" books again it's got some cool ideas but it really should have been one book [thanks Borders Bucks!] and the author is way more successful writing young adult steampunk fiction so I guess that's it

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I thought the dune prequels were both terrible horseshit and interesting, the robot guys made a good antagonist and the war was cool.
the bizzaro plotpoint of the invincible asteroid warship was crap though.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

LooseChanj posted:

ummm, that's the sixties you're complaining about

you see, i wrote it as a synopsis of "barbarella", but he deliberately misinterpreted it as a description of the real life jane fonda and duran duran in the eighties, and then you didn't get the joke

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

SRQ posted:

I thought the dune prequels were both terrible horseshit and interesting, the robot guys made a good antagonist and the war was cool.
the bizzaro plotpoint of the invincible asteroid warship was crap though.

nearly every single plot thread petered out, dramatic developments were regularly neutered of any impact, and the characters were paper-thin caricatures of human beings.

and then they write sequels that could have started with every original character just dropping dead, and it wouldn't have made any difference to how the books play out.

getting mad about sandworms... that live in water!

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
dont sandworms die when submerged in water @____@

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

wait they do what
what
oh gently caress they ruin corrino for it don't they :negative:
Truly I was better off not knowing.
I will say that the war itself was interesting enough, atleast in the first book, and the robot dudes had a cool back story that made a lot of sense.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wait, are you reading the brian herbert/kage anderson books first?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

dont sandworms die when submerged in water @____@

where else are you going to get ULTRASPICE :suicide:

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 28, 2011

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
wait i thought that's how you make the water of death

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

you get the water of life when you drown a worm, because water fucks their poo poo up.

no, the bherb/kjand sequels literally added ocean-faring sandworms for whom water ain't no thing.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

duTrieux posted:

you get the water of life when you drown a worm, because water fucks their poo poo up.

no, the bherb/kjand sequels literally added ocean-faring sandworms for whom water ain't no thing.

so did they just miss the point of the original dune or what

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HYMEN.SYS posted:

so did they just miss the point of the original dune or what

yes

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

duTrieux posted:

Not really a sandworm anymore, is it?

I liked the first book of the butlerian jihad, mostly because I'm gay for prequels and backstory. Definitely got pretty stupid real quick though

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i never bothered to read that one, i'll grant there may sometimes be jewels amid the turds.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

quote:

Star Trek: TNG

All 178 episodes will get the treatment, converted to 1080p with 7.1 DTS Master Audio sound. This is being done by returning to the original film negatives and then recreating the special effects instead of converting them from videotape.

:toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

:toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Kirk posted:

wait i thought TNG was filmed for TV (As well as animated) and there were no film level processed archives from which to do that with

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

they should remaster those spandex sausage casings they all wore in the first few seasons.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Sniep posted:

wait i thought TNG was filmed for TV (As well as animated) and there were no film level processed archives from which to do that with

i believe the effects were done on tape, not the original filming

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

i believe the effects were done on tape, not the original filming

ok so they are reanimating every episode? I heard that same thing, too, and that's what i guess im referring to - that it would cost way too much to re-do all of the effects in HD and that they look super crappy scaled up

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it was a mix of film and tape for the first few seasons; film was used for raw footage and the ship models, while tape was used for visual effects.

why do i still know that.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

most of the heavy lifting is done already (ship models and major effects on film), so i imagine the rest is just fancy post-processing?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
yeah all the SFX were done on tape and look like poo poo and they're ALL getting redone

shits gonna be bad rear end

oh god i hope DS9 gets the widescreen BD treatment oh god oh god oh god

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

everything mastered

all of it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kirk posted:

yeah all the SFX were done on tape and look like poo poo and they're ALL getting redone

shits gonna be bad rear end

oh god i hope DS9 gets the widescreen BD treatment oh god oh god oh god

ds9 already looks pretty goddamn good for 4:3 low def

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol im watching terra nova right now and its really dumb

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Shaggar posted:

ds9 already looks pretty goddamn good for 4:3 low def

yeah but it would look BETTER

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
actually DS9 is probably too expensive to be worthwhile unless the CGI teams worked in widescreen (which i really doubt)

DS9 was all CGI by the end

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
how many of you people actually slogged through 6+ KJA dune books?!

I gave up on that poo poo halfway through House Atreides

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i guess i hope that they stick to the original intent with the reanimation effects and dont lucas it up then

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
engineering scene to bridge scene *soft horizontal swipe*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kirk posted:

yeah but it would look BETTER

ya thats what i mean. it would look totes awesome.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Shaggar posted:

lol

speaking of shows that need to be remastered

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Amethyst posted:

how many of you people actually slogged through 6+ KJA dune books?!

I gave up on that poo poo halfway through House Atreides

I read the KJA "saga of seven suns" books, dude is a master of characters who have exactly one personality trait that governs their every reaction to everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I think redoing the star trek vfx is in poor taste. Kinda like colorising black and white movies.

old vfx are really interesting both historically and aesthetically and painting over them with cg takes the original text out of it's time and makes it into a gaudy collage

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 29, 2011

• Locked thread