Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The new linksys cloud router interface has upset a few people.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228687/Linksys_firmware_upgrade_for_Wi_Fi_routers_angers_some_users

The forced firmware upgrade requires a cloud account and dumbs down about 75% of the interface. It does add features to support apps that allow you to access the dumbed down interface.

I'm still wondering what you do when your internet connection goes down and you can't log into your router to fix anything. Or when their database is copied and hackers take control of millions of routers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Devian666 posted:

I'm still wondering what you do when your internet connection goes down and you can't log into your router to fix anything. Or when their database is copied and hackers take control of millions of routers.

The article says

Computer World posted:

They were able to bring up a local, non-cloud management interface after disconnecting the router from the Internet, but that interface lacked most of the features they had been used to with the previous firmware, the posts said.

so at least you still have that to fall on, but it's an incredibly lovely move on Cisco's part. The only people that would want to access their router remotely through a cloud interface are the ones that would already have some kind of dynamic DNS setup with WAN access to their router enabled or VPN. On the flip side, being able to access family members' routers for troubleshooting by just getting a username and password would be great.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Their approach is similar to digital copy protection on games. They force you to log in and offer some minor benefits (that are worthless) to appease you. Cisco seem to be doing this to allow for data mining or actual spying. Something will need to pay for their unnecessary infrastructure.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Well I guess I can cross Cisco off my list for quite some time.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
At this point, Cisco buying up then subsequently ruining some interesting hardware company is so common that there should be a name for it. Some sort of consumer trolling.

Also, hasn't Cisco's consumer-level stuff been pretty poo poo for a while?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Their consumer grade routers have been bad for a long time. They were showing an improvement recently. Their recent improvements were unacceptable to upper management so they had to ruin it with a stupid gimmick, along with disabling features that people want.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
They probably thought they were leapfrogging Apple's whole Airport Utility thing, and the 'Cloud Router' concept didn't seem too terrible, it's tragic that they're screwing it up so badly. What with the whole forcing the update on people and the terrifying licensing terms. They have product ADHD though, they probably ordered a billion E3200s and now all those are ending up cheap refurbs after spending like a week as part of the primary lineup.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
To be fair, they would have ended up as cheap refurbs anyway, considering the quality of the hardware.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NOTinuyasha posted:

They probably thought they were leapfrogging Apple's whole Airport Utility thing, and the 'Cloud Router' concept didn't seem too terrible, it's tragic that they're screwing it up so badly. What with the whole forcing the update on people and the terrifying licensing terms

When I was researching what went on I found a number of reviews of the cloud management system. The reviews were all positive and contained marketing pamphlet content. The reviews were all from the generic consumer standpoint but did not consider the licensing agreement. This all seemed fine until they forced the update on their customers. So far they're not talking about the negative feedback.

From a corporate standpoint it might make sense. They see that their products are in a lot of homes and they want to tap into an apple style app market for their routers. Too bad that their implementation is poor.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
All it is, is a few utilities on the router (like a webcam viewer) which you can then view from an iPhone app. You can't install 3rd party applications. They're literally just trying to hit as many buzzwords as possible ("apps", "cloud") with the least amount of effort and, oh yeah, it will log your web browsing and send it to Cisco.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
Howdy, I recently purchased a house, and I want to wire the crap out of it with CAT6. In my mind wireless is altogether evil. Even though my wireless seems to work flawlessly now that I'm out of the 15 routers per square foot townhouses, I want to avoid wireless for anything except phone/laptops.

I'm not entirely hopeless with configuring things, I've just never had to wire up more then a couple things to a router. Wondering if anybody could recommend me a better method, or point me in the right direction anyways.

Gear:

Upstairs
- office computer
- Small TV, with old xbox running xbmc

Ground Level
- PS3, Wii, 2 TV's Main floor (We will be using netflix a ton on these)
- Wireless AP seems to cover whole house when its set in the stairwell.

Basement
- Cable Internet Modem currently here, cable is run already throughout the house. Can be moved easily.
- Future home theater room, will likely have a PS3, HTPC of some sort.

I have a DNS-323 with RAID1 for saving work files, family photos other types of valuable files I feel safer by having some redundancy. Probably want to hide it in the basement. Also a work in progress FreeNas box in the basement, I want to be able to stream media to any of the TV's/computers. Mostly just music, but maybe videos. We don't have a high def video camera yet, but maybe in the future it would be nice to stream that too.

I have a Linksys E4200 I bought to replace the old buffalo router we had before. It did solve most of the wireless problems we were having before. Not sure its up for this big of task or not.

Plan:

Buy a box of cat6
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10234&cs_id=1023404&p_id=8093&seq=1&format=2

Buy a bunch of these:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10513&cs_id=1051309&p_id=5379&seq=1&format=2

Some wall plates, the crimper tool and the punch down tool. Then fin-dangle the cable from the 6 rooms to the basement.

Then buy one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052104&p_id=7857&seq=1&format=3#specification

I would go cable modem ==> E4200 ==> Switch ==> All the Ethernet cables?

Would that switch/router combo be able to handle say, netflix in a couple rooms and gaming in the office at once, or would I need to upgrade those?

The connection in this place rocks. Getting 80 down, and can be upped even more. Never had such good internets.

Pitfalls? Suggestions? Is it that easy or am I really overlooking something.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Rodney Chops posted:

I would go cable modem ==> E4200 ==> Switch ==> All the Ethernet cables?

Would that switch/router combo be able to handle say, netflix in a couple rooms and gaming in the office at once, or would I need to upgrade those?

The connection in this place rocks. Getting 80 down, and can be upped even more. Never had such good internets.

Pitfalls? Suggestions? Is it that easy or am I really overlooking something.

Generally the idea will work fine. I would recommend going:

cable modem => E4200 => switch => patch panel.

Typically in most places fitted out with new network cable it's best to bring it all back to a patch panel so that you don't end up with a mess of cables. You can also have the wall socket to patch panel numbered so that you can resolve problems easily.

The router should be able to handle cable speeds without any issues and the switch should be able to handle up to 2 gigabits of internal traffic (yes the connections are only 1 gigabit in each direction).

I see the switch is an 8 port but I counted about 11 devices including NAS. Why not go 16 port which would allow for 12 devices including a connection from the router?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NOTinuyasha posted:

All it is, is a few utilities on the router (like a webcam viewer) which you can then view from an iPhone app. You can't install 3rd party applications. They're literally just trying to hit as many buzzwords as possible ("apps", "cloud") with the least amount of effort and, oh yeah, it will log your web browsing and send it to Cisco.

It's common in the corporate environment to ask "why aren't we in the cloud?" A Cisco executive probably asked this and this is the result. They probably didn't allow for the operating costs and technical support that would be required. This is now the only reason it retains my interest. I wonder how they will respond to rising support costs.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

Devian666 posted:

Generally the idea will work fine. I would recommend going:

cable modem => E4200 => switch => patch panel.

Typically in most places fitted out with new network cable it's best to bring it all back to a patch panel so that you don't end up with a mess of cables. You can also have the wall socket to patch panel numbered so that you can resolve problems easily.

The router should be able to handle cable speeds without any issues and the switch should be able to handle up to 2 gigabits of internal traffic (yes the connections are only 1 gigabit in each direction).

I see the switch is an 8 port but I counted about 11 devices including NAS. Why not go 16 port which would allow for 12 devices including a connection from the router?

Hmm. Yea I suppose it makes sense to get a bigger switch. Cool, thanks for the input.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
I have a WRT54GL that keeps losing WLAN. As in, the WLAN light goes off and all connected computers lose internet. Any idea what could be causing this?

Running stock (I know, I know, haven't had the time to flash dd-wrt). Should I be looking into a new router? This one is I think less than a year old.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Overheating, crashing or both. Next step is to try flashing the firmware and hoping that nothing is broken. If you have the same problems it's time for something new.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They're still making WRT54GLs? I didn't know you could have one that was just a year old anymore.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

Devian666 posted:

Overheating, crashing or both. Next step is to try flashing the firmware and hoping that nothing is broken. If you have the same problems it's time for something new.

Hm :\ That's what I feared but it may end up coming to that. Is Asus known for making reliable routers? I have my eye on this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091

but it seems a bit expensive. I'm tired of replacing crappy routers, though.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That's the Dark Knight version. There's been a bit of positive feedback on that router. Some of the earlier asus firmwares have had problems but less so in the latest model.

The higher priced router recommendations in the op are still valid.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I've heard a lot of good things about that router. It's got tomatousb support, too. I'm looking to buy one, so long as that firmware supports simultaneous dual band (I'm not sure if it does or not).

Also, smallnetbuilder did a teardown, and I'm heartened by the giant heat sink:

The Asus RT-N16 is also pretty good, if you don't need dual band.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
For a heat sink comparison let's have a look at a Linksys 4200v1.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Fluue posted:

Hm :\ That's what I feared but it may end up coming to that. Is Asus known for making reliable routers? I have my eye on this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091

but it seems a bit expensive. I'm tired of replacing crappy routers, though.

This router with Tomato owns face.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
It looks like cisco has already backed down on the tracking your web history, but seriously, who would buy their products after that?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
Gah, am I to understand correctly that there are no alternative firmwares for the 3200 that support its 5Ghz band?

I've tried looking around in the admin settings, so I'm thinking the answer is no, but with the 3200 is there anyway to figure out how much bandwidth a particular client is using?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
DD-WRT supports both bands with the E3200.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

NOTinuyasha posted:

DD-WRT supports both bands with the E3200.

You're using r17201?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I use TomatoUSB on mine, but I know you need DD-WRT r19327 or up for dual-band support with that new chipset on E3200/E2500:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/06-08-12-r19342/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3200.bin

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

NOTinuyasha posted:

I use TomatoUSB on mine, but I know you need DD-WRT r19327 or up for dual-band support with that new chipset on E3200/E2500:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/06-08-12-r19342/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3200.bin

Does TomatoUSB have 5ghz working?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Nope! I only have mine as a test unit for work and I already have a non-simultaneous 5GHz router (my beloved Airport Extreme).

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I’m ready to replace my wireless routers and straighten out some of my networking. I have a cape-cod style house with a basement ¾ underground and two floors and a sunroom off the back.

In the basement utility closet I have a Cablevision Motorola Surfboard SBV5120 cable modem, which goes into a Linksys Wireless Router WRT54GL which serves up IP addresses. From there I have a Trendnet GB switch in the closet and one in the office on the main floor to gain some more ports. This is all wired with CAT5E. In the office I also have a WAP54G as a second wireless access point. This one has given me the most trouble as it keeps dropping the security and wireless settings.

Here is what I have connected to all this, in the basement:
- HP PC running Windows Vista that has an onboard 10/100 NIC.
- XBOX 360
- Wii
- Internet Connected Blu Ray player
First Floor:
- Dell PC running Windows 7 with a Broadcom Netlink Gigabit NIC
- Tivo on the wireless
- Homebuilt PC with a Trendnet Gigabit NIC
- iPad 2, iPhone, iPod

I don’t do much in PC gaming or heavy downloading, I’d mainly like to increase my wireless strength and reliability and any other overall performance improvements. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tomapot fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 4, 2012

Dude Warez my .tar
Feb 17, 2007

Worst Poster Award '07
Is there a good MikroTik solution for doing Simultaneous Dual Band AGN? I've been looking around and it appears the best way to go about that would be an RB433GL and 2 R52hM cards which is a really expensive route to go. I need to be able to use the 5GHz spectrum because the 2.4GHz spectrum is cramped where I'm living which knocks the RB751 off the list for me.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

UndyingShadow posted:

This router with Tomato owns face.

Does it work with simultaneous dual band?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Pretty cheap router today on sale. Netgear WNDR3400, refurb, 30 bucks. Good in you are in an apartment complex with a crowded 2.4 ghz spectrum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-WND...999&PID=1225267

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

Does it work with simultaneous dual band?

Yes, it does.

Edit: That is to say, it allows you to configure 2.4ghz and 5 ghz networks active at the same time. I run separate SSIDs for the different frequencies, but they connect to the same network. I haven't tried it with the same SSID because I don't like it.

Is that what you mean by "simultaneous dual band?"

UndyingShadow fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 5, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

UndyingShadow posted:

Yes, it does.

Edit: That is to say, it allows you to configure 2.4ghz and 5 ghz networks active at the same time. I run separate SSIDs for the different frequencies, but they connect to the same network. I haven't tried it with the same SSID because I don't like it.

That's what he was referring to, yep. I don't think there's really any point to using the same SSID as you're talking about different frequencies. It'd just end up being annoying if you're using a dual-band adapter as you'd have issues connecting to a specific band depending on the OS.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

tomapot posted:

I don’t do much in PC gaming or heavy downloading, I’d mainly like to increase my wireless strength and reliability and any other overall performance improvements. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Which wireless clients are having problems?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

UndyingShadow posted:

Yes, it does.

Ah, cool. I know the older builds of TomatoUSB only supported this on a handful of devices, so I wasn't sure about the definite answer. For a long time, you had to choose between one or the other.

And yeah, having the same SSID would be confusing.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Cream_Filling posted:

Ah, cool. I know the older builds of TomatoUSB only supported this on a handful of devices, so I wasn't sure about the definite answer. For a long time, you had to choose between one or the other.

Why? I think it's simpler; the 5 Ghz devices automatically join the 5 Ghz band likewise for the 2.4 Ghz devices. You don't have to explain to guests which Wi-Fi network they should join which is really nice.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Hiyoshi posted:

Why? I think it's simpler; the 5 Ghz devices automatically join the 5 Ghz band likewise for the 2.4 Ghz devices. You don't have to explain to guests which Wi-Fi network they should join which is really nice.

Because dual band devices will latch onto the first thing they see, which is always 2.4 ghz due to it penetrating walls better, then it stays on 2.4 and you get none of the benefits of 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

I know there's a toastman build, which I'm using. There's also a shibby build as well. The router can take the biggest images/builds, so get the maxed out one and go nuts